PDA

View Full Version : Level 20 Wizard has to build a chain of restaurants.

The Vagabond
2016-09-13, 08:36 PM
As listed in the title: A level 20 wizard has to make a chain of restaurants that spans the globe in modern day earth, and grows to a larger size than McDonald's empire.

You cannot buy a pre-existing restaurant, nor cast any spells on any creature, living or otherwise. You cannot prepare the food yourself. How do you do it?

ryu
2016-09-13, 08:53 PM
As listed in the title: A level 20 wizard has to make a chain of restaurants that spans the globe in modern day earth, and grows to a larger size than McDonald's empire.

You cannot buy a pre-existing restaurant, nor cast any spells on any creature, living or otherwise. You cannot prepare the food yourself. How do you do it?

How do the rules react to food interacting with premade items like teleportation gates, humans taught to make use of fabricate traps, and other similar loopholes? For that matter what's the status on using wizard abilities to acquire stuff we just don't have here?

The Vagabond
2016-09-13, 09:00 PM
How do the rules react to food interacting with premade items like teleportation gates, humans taught to make use of fabricate traps, and other similar loopholes? For that matter what's the status on using wizard abilities to acquire stuff we just don't have here?
Humans cannot operate magic items themselves- You'd have to activate the Create Food and Water traps yourself- And the food is incredibly bland. As for the Wizard's ability to aquire stuff they don't have here, he can spend his WBL on it before he teleports.

2016-09-13, 09:08 PM
Is there any way the wizard could conscript the labor out to others, whether through conventional IRL hiring, minionmancy, or Leadership abilities? I mean, we probably wouldn't want a necromancer running the kitchens unless we were deliberately going for a Soylent Green scenario (not to mention zombie chefs probably being unsanitary), but what about metal golems, or even just a small army of Followers?

Jack_Simth
2016-09-13, 09:08 PM

Probably use a way to cheat around components (both XP and GP, there's several) and make many, many simulacrums (probably by Wish farming).

Builder (needs to visit each site for a few days)
Advanced-to-44 HD Solars, which is sufficient to get a 22 HD Solar Simulacrum (which should, in theory, have all the abilities of a standard Solar).
Methods:
1) Use the Spell-like 1/day Wish to make Magic Device traps of useful spells (Heroes' Feast, for instance).
2) Using the Solar's spellcasting (most notably the Cleric spells Wall of Stone and Stone Shape) to do the heavy lifting of construction.
3) The at-will Continual Flame for lighting.

Operator (stays at location):
Advanced-to-20 HD Ursinals (Book of Exalted Deeds, page 174; a simulacrum of a 20 HD Ursinal is a 10 HD Ursinal, which is book-standard) - because they have Profession (any one) on their skill list, and Polymorph at-will for a disguise. Note that this creature casts as a wizard, which means you can let them copy Illusory Wall out of your spellbook, and spam that for decorations and signs. As outsiders, they don't sleep. As simulacrums, they do what they're told.
1) Take Money.
2) Trigger trap.
3) Distribute food.
4) Frighten any dine & dashers
5) Repeat.

Side note: D&D is surprisingly short of monstrous critters with Profession (any) on their skill list. Lots of classes have it, but that was the only monster I found....

Edit: Oh yes: Another option, of course, is to use more traditional methods via skill ranks, and simply run a business with the advantage of being more skilled at everything of relevance than anyone else on the planet, and hire other people to do it all. But then "Wizard" could be replaced by "Rogue" or almost any other class with the relevant skills, and that's a lot less interesting.

Âmesang
2016-09-13, 09:48 PM
Kind of a tangent, but this seems like the perfect opportunity to bring back the calzone golem (http://electronicsandbooks.com/eab1/manual/Game/Role%20Play/Dungeons%20and%20Dragons/Adventures/3E%20D&D%20-%20Adventure%2002%20-%20Something's%20Cooking%20c20010328%20%5B5%5D.pdf ). :smallamused:

LTwerewolf
2016-09-13, 10:30 PM
Easiest way is to become a mogul in something like mining first. Sell millions of dollars of iron with your only costs being distribution and worker capital. Use the money there to fund x number of any other businesses.

Endarire
2016-09-13, 10:30 PM
Use genesis, preferably via means that negate the EXP cost (Dweoemerkeeper4 is one) to make at least 1 demiplane with all the ingredients you need for food and all the raw materials useful for your empire. (Golem part raw materials, raw ore for utensils, etc.)

Use prestidigitation stations to flavor food (and clean dishes/employees/customers/etc.) as prudent.

Jowgen
2016-09-14, 12:45 AM
I'd start with an agricultural approach.

Buy lots of cheap land that doesn't seem suited for growing things in a remote location. Employ gratuitous magic to turn barren land into perfectly viable growing soil (I can expand on that, if you want). Using a Basket of Delights, you can source all the starting seeds you might need. Control Weather allows to adjust climate as needed, taking care of rain and such. Plant Growth boosts production. If you need workers, low level undead are most cost effective and easy to come by.

For your meat toppings, find yourself a few edible creatures with the titanic template and give them a) Dukar Hand Corals (CoV), and b) a (bloody huge) ring of sustenance. Keeping them unconscious 24/7, so you can now perform gigantic amputations on them repeatedly, with it only taking a few days for the limbs to grow back. Do this FAR AWAY from any druids. For spices, I do vaguely remember an item that produced a certain volume of any spice you want, but not sure. Salt, there is a spell for that.

To handle distribution, I naturally recommend Lantern Archons. You can either brainwash/bargain with Create Lantern Archon made ones, or use Call Faithful servants a few times till you have CL x 2 of them for a year. They have teleport at will and can 50 lb of stuff with them each time, so as long as you keep your delivery crates within that limit, you can send your stuff anywhere at any time.

For your business model, I suggest targeting the common masses. With your self-sufficient production, you can offer nutritous large meals at the cheapest prices around. From there on, its really all about what kind of business you want to run (e.g. global monopoly of food?)

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-14, 06:03 AM
A properly worded wish will give you repeating traps of soul crystal (from Magic of Incarnum) which are attuned to heroes' feast that are activated when a certain amount of money is inserted and the menu options are chosen. The buyer takes the soul crystal to his table in the restaurant (or wherever), activates it, and then has enough to feed his entire family. Since heroes' feast never specifies just what kinds of foods are available, it's easy enough to assume that the menu can basically be whatever you want it to be. If the DM rules that to not be the case, use prestidigitation to flavor the food how the customer wants. You can use traps of minor creation for amenities such as napkins and traps of invisible servant to keep the place clean. Complaints can be sent via sending to the head of your PR department. You might know him. His name is Dispater.

Vizzerdrix
2016-09-14, 06:39 AM
First set up pleasure/pain dens for some liquid pain (you can use that for the xp cost of spells I think). Then use it to cast minor servitor untill you have a labor force that can go non stop. After that make items to cast Leomunds Billet a few times per day and put some traps of prestadigitation and on some mats.

Now, the serving staff (made with minor servitor) will start the day by casting Leos spell, making a building that can hold 40 people comfortably. It also has enough bread and porage to feed 40 people.
When they bring out the food, the servers will step on the mat to flavor the dish to order. When they run out of food, they will have to reset the building.

Inevitability
2016-09-14, 07:05 AM
Use spells like Scholar's Touch, Legend Lore and Speak With Dead to learn all there is to know about Richard and Maurice McDonald (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_and_Maurice_McDonald).

Create a single-use trap of Teleport Through Time and use it to travel to 1938. Assassinate either brother nonmagically (quarterstaving him to death should work: a 20th-level wizard can make three attacks a round and has a huge to-hit bonus). Use potions of Alter Self to impersonate your victim and run the restaurant chain as he'd have done in the original timeline. Because in D&D timelines are self-correcting, things should proceed as normal.

There you go, one major fast food chain commanded by you, without any spells being cast on any creature (not even on yourself).

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-14, 07:07 AM
There you go, one major fast food chain commanded by you, without any spells being cast on any creature (not even on yourself).Except teleport through time.

Inevitability
2016-09-14, 07:29 AM
Except teleport through time.

You don't cast it on yourself, you create a single-use trap, cast the spell on the trap, then step on the trap, which casts the spell on you.

Loophole? Definitely. Valid loophole? Definitely.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-14, 08:13 AM
Use genesis to create a demiplane filled with gold, greater fabricate it into coins, use those coins to hire people, and use those people to run your restaurant for you.

khadgar567
2016-09-14, 08:23 AM
loophole alert since every wizard 20 treat uses same loophole aka we can use dips long as we have wizard 20 in some were in our build I am gonna use sphere wizard 20 an incanter 20 on my build

okay to create global food giant lets start with obvious we need man power so we use wish spell to start air mephid simulacra chain
know service personal I am gonna use succubus to serve as my waitress and i need just one succubus to get start making simulcaras
here is the problem how we get ingredients simple creation sphere has all we needed and since we have 40 levels in casting class we can create colossal ++ ingredients by spending just one sphere point next question how we transfer the ingredients simple padawan warp sphere dimension with gate to every shop we made just pop in the central dimension to get daily supplies of fresh ingredients now the next problem advertisement since we have succubus why we use them to conquer modeling business so we can have the star power for our advertisement(and some more cash)

now we have everything we need for our grand opening but first let's use spell research to create new enchantment let's call it addicting each why we create enchantment you ask simple to keep our customers in tight leash with constant carving to our product and enchantment makes sure we have what we want
at the and we have global presence we want with our restaurant

Inevitability
2016-09-14, 09:18 AM
loophole alert since every wizard 20 treat uses same loophole aka we can use dips long as we have wizard 20 in some were in our build I am gonna use sphere wizard 20 an incanter 20 on my build

okay to create global food giant lets start with obvious we need man power so we use wish spell to start air mephid simulacra chain
know service personal I am gonna use succubus to serve as my waitress and i need just one succubus to get start making simulcaras
here is the problem how we get ingredients simple creation sphere has all we needed and since we have 40 levels in casting class we can create colossal ++ ingredients by spending just one sphere point next question how we transfer the ingredients simple padawan warp sphere dimension with gate to every shop we made just pop in the central dimension to get daily supplies of fresh ingredients now the next problem advertisement since we have succubus why we use them to conquer modeling business so we can have the star power for our advertisement(and some more cash)

now we have everything we need for our grand opening but first let's use spell research to create new enchantment let's call it addicting each why we create enchantment you ask simple to keep our customers in tight leash with constant carving to our product and enchantment makes sure we have what we want
at the and we have global presence we want with our restaurant

1. This may surprise you, but putting vaguely related nouns in front of each other does not a clear post make.

2. You broke the rules multiple times, often without explanation.

3. What is it with you and succubi?

khadgar567
2016-09-14, 09:33 AM
1. This may surprise you, but putting vaguely related nouns in front of each other does not a clear post make.

english is not my native language

2. You broke the rules multiple times, often without explanation.
how

3. What is it with you and succubi?
Just love them useful monsters often don't get love they need

Inevitability
2016-09-14, 09:59 AM
english is not my native language

That does not justify things like 'simple padawan warp sphere dimension with gate'. What is a simple padawan warps sphere dimension with gate? A woven rug? (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0030.html)

how

You're casting spells on creatures several times, and you're using spheres of power: last time I checked it wasn't first-party 3.5 material. Not to mention that the 'I am actually a wizard 20/incantatrix 20' 'loophole' is a blatant violation of the spirit of the rules.

Just love them useful monsters often don't get love they need

Isn't there entire point to get more love than they need? :smalltongue:

legomaster00156
2016-09-14, 10:03 AM
1. Have superhuman Intelligence. If you're a level 20 Wizard capable of casting L9+ spells, this should be covered.
2. Put ranks in Knowledge skills, especially Local.
3. Dominate a sufficiently wealthy bank through enchantment spells, forcing them to loan you as much money as you think you need at whatever interest rate you want, with no need for any messy paperwork like a business plan or any kind of evidence that you're up to the job of running a corporation.
4. Build your business.
5. ???
6. Profit!
7. Retire to the Bahamas.

khadgar567
2016-09-14, 10:12 AM
That does not justify things like 'simple padawan warp sphere dimension with gate'. What is a simple padawan warps sphere dimension with gate? A woven rug? (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0030.html)

main idea is mimicking tippyverse with one dimension to access each shop to negetate the cost of transportation

You're casting spells on creatures several times, and you're using spheres of power: last time I checked it wasn't first-party 3.5 material. Not to mention that the 'I am actually a wizard 20/incantatrix 20' 'loophole' is a blatant violation of the spirit of the rules.

I didn't see any thing about you must use vanila wizard in op so I take alternative wizard plus op didn't give hard cap to character levels if I remember correctly

Isn't there entire point to get more love than they need? :smalltongue:
they never get enough love

1. Have superhuman Intelligence. If you're a level 20 Wizard capable of casting L9+ spells, this should be covered.
3. Dominate a sufficiently wealthy bank through enchantment spells, forcing them to loan you as much money as you think you need at whatever interest rate you want, with no need for any messy paperwork like a business plan or any kind of evidence that you're up to the job of running a corporation.
4. Build your business.
5. ???
6. Profit!
ı think dominate is banned because of mind effecting spell

Calthropstu
2016-09-14, 10:14 AM

Wall of stone, stone to flesh.

Mmmm bacon!

dascarletm
2016-09-14, 10:15 AM
I didn't see any thing about you must use vanila wizard in op so I take alternative wizard plus op didn't give hard cap to character levels if I remember correctly

Just want to point out: (Bolded for emphasis)

khadgar567
2016-09-14, 10:19 AM
Just want to point out: (Bolded for emphasis)
its requirement not hard cap like wizard 20 with character level 20 where character level blocks my dip whole another for more spells idea

Inevitability
2016-09-14, 10:30 AM
4. Build your business.
5. ???
6. Profit!

Dominate affects another creature, as khadgar pointed out already. However, this can be gotten around with items, as has been done already.

Taking ACF's is one thing, but Spheres of Power is not licensed 3.5 material: it's Pathfinder. If this was a Pathfinder thread, it'd have the appropriate tag. And I'm fairly sure 'level 20 wizard' is, in fact, the hard cap. Let's hope Vagabond clears up the mistake quickly.

Wall of stone, stone to flesh.

Mmmm bacon!

[Insert joke on the mysterious origins of fast food meat here]

khadgar567
2016-09-14, 10:35 AM
If this was a Pathfinder thread, it'd have the appropriate tag. And I'm fairly sure 'level 20 wizard' is, in fact, the hard cap. Let's hope Vagabond clears up the mistake quickly.

I hope to cuz every time treat like this created same loophole appears and don't get ban hammered until haruki kun or other forum master closes the treat

JonVMD
2016-09-22, 01:27 AM
I'm more concerned with why the wizard has to do it than with own challenge.

khadgar567
2016-09-22, 02:57 AM
I'm more concerned with why the wizard has to do it than with own challenge.
Depends on alainment if evil economical world domination is good way to start if good solving world hunger is enough to get your self in to elsyum

Mercurion
2016-09-22, 08:41 AM
Use prestidigitation stations to flavor food (and clean dishes/employees/customers/etc.) as prudent.

I came here to say this.

Sian
2016-09-22, 08:44 AM
You'd have to activate the Create Food and Water traps yourself- And the food is incredibly bland.

Add a Prestidigitation Trap (should be dirt cheap) ...