PDA

View Full Version : MtG - You Make the Card V: Untapped Potential

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

LastCenturion
2017-07-20, 11:40 PM
False Allure -- 4U
Enchantment -- Rare
Activated abilities of Treasures cost 2 more to activate.

Bucky
2017-07-20, 11:59 PM
Gemhorn Triceratops 3GG
Creature - Lizard Beast C
When Gemhorn Triceratops dies, create three tapped colorless Treasure artifact tokens with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
3/5

Carl
2017-07-21, 02:51 AM
http://i.imgur.com/XsNM31P.jpg

Not sure on his cost or his colours. He's the archetypical villain predator that's been hunted by generations of hunters, who's seen every trick they have and doesn't care, and just gets meaner every time he gets a new scar. But that kind of ability countering is more white or blue's part of the colour pie, except this is very definitely not a traditional example of the ethier colour. And of course an effect like that is a pain to balance. Thoughts?

As an extra note i did consider giving him hexproof, but that felt like it might be unnecessarily punitive for the opponent.

ben-zayb
2017-07-21, 05:01 AM
Ekplixi, the Virtuous 1UR
Legendary Creature - Merfolk Pirate M
Haste, Hexproof
UU, T, Sacrifice X Treasures: Gain control of target creature with converted mana cost X.
RR, T, Sacrifice X Treasures: Two other target creatures with converted mana cost X or less fight each other.
3/3

Ninjaman
2017-07-21, 05:13 AM
Deathbeard, the Drowned Captain - 3BB
Legendary creature - Zombie Pirate - R
Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies, create a colorless Treasure artifact token with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
During each of your turns, you may cast a creature card from your graveyard. Spend only mana from Treasures to cast that creature.
3/3

Gauntlet
2017-07-21, 05:40 AM
Iryllia, Master of the Illusionary Armada - 1UR
Legendary Creature - Human Pirate Wizard - Mythic

Menace, Prowess

Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, create a colorless artifact token named Treasure. It has "T, sacrifice this artifact: add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

Whenever Iryllia attacks, if you sacrificed a Treasure this turn, create a 2/2 blue Illusion creature token that's tapped and attacking. Exile it at end of the beginning of the next end step.

1/2

Beelzebub1111
2017-07-21, 07:44 AM
Ramirez of the Infinite Seas 2WUB
Planeswalker - Ramierez
Whenever you sacrifice a treasure token, Gain 1 life and add a loyalty counter to Ramirez of the Infinite Seas
+1: draw a card, then create a Treasure artifact token with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
-10: Destroy all creatures, then create a 1/1 black Skeleton Pirate creature token with "B:Regenerate this creature" for each creature that died this way
3 Loyalty

BasketOfPuppies
2017-07-21, 04:41 PM
Thanks to the judge! I'm sorry about the confusion with the name, it took me a while to find one I was satisfied with.

Since Amonkhet and Hour of Devastation have now come and gone, it's time to start building up hype around a new impending MtG event... in this case: Ixalan! For anyone that needs a refresher, Ixalan is a plane of dinosaurs, pirates, and white vampires (http://mythicspoiler.com/ixa/cards/myneafriandarkapostle.html). There are actually a lot of (very low quality) spoilers up already.

Your challenge is to design one of the following:
A dinosaur
A legendary pirate
Something that interacts with the new treasure tokens (colorless artifact tokens named Treasure with "T, sacrifice this artifact: add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Example. (http://mythicspoiler.com/ixa/cards/revelinriches.html) Example. (http://mythicspoiler.com/ixa/cards/captainlannerystorm.html)

Good luck to all

I don't like leaks, and those links go to leaks. Please give proper warning for the future, since now I know that apparently white vampires will be a thing, which isn't something I should know yet. Same with the treasure tokens. Those would've been a cool thing to see spoiled, and now that's been taken from me.

Passive Pete
2017-07-21, 06:33 PM
Whoah, sorry everyone.

I was aware the spoilers were unofficial, but it was unheard of for me that people might actually want to avoid them. My Magic community is pretty much entirely made up of people that whip out their phones and say "Oh my god! Did you see the new leaks?" I guess I was working on the assumption everyone was as curious/eager as us. My bad on that.

Still, the challenge stands for anyone interested. Dinosaurs, legendary pirates, and Treasure tokens certainly don't have to exist in the context of Ixalan, and I almost hope they don't for this challenge. I'm really sorry about leaking Treasure tokens especially. Oh well, life goes on.

EDIT: Challenge post edited slightly

Blue Ghost
2017-07-21, 10:48 PM
No worries. :smallsmile:

Huntpack Raptor 4G
Creature - Dinosaur (R)
When Huntpack Raptor enters the battlefield, if it isnít a token, create a token thatís a copy of it.
Huntpack Raptor canít be blocked unless all attacking creatures named Huntpack Raptor are blocked.
3/2

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Green/Huntpack%20Raptor_zpst7p4vdyp.png

LaZodiac
2017-07-21, 11:38 PM
Risky Boots, Pirate Queen (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/21/f9/65/21f965ce99411573522a977b51b57f8c.jpg) 2RUB
Legendary Creature - Human Pirate (R)
Imps you control have Prowess
Whenever you cast an non-creature artifact spell, create two 1/1 black Imp Pirate creature tokens.
4/3

Carl
2017-07-22, 01:57 AM
Um,, Passive Pete, Blue Ghost, you are aware that your avatar's are now non-visible to us because of photobuckets new policies. Not an issue for Blue Ghosts card ofc, but thought you'd want to know. I use imgur myself. You don't need an account to use it btw.

braveheart
2017-07-22, 11:21 AM
Dilophosaurus RG
Creature - Dinosaur - U
First Strike
While Dilophosaurus is attacking prevent all combat damage dealt by creatures damaged by Dilophosaraus this turn.
2/1

http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/Dilophosaurus

Ebon_Drake
2017-07-22, 12:02 PM
Burgeoning Archaeopteryx UG
Creature - Dinosaur C
U: ~ gains flying until end of turn.
When ~ dies, create a 1/1 blue Bird creature token with flying.
The most stunning forms of evolution can begin with the most tentative steps.
2/2

TurboGhast
2017-07-24, 10:19 AM
Treasure Expedition R
Enchanment U
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a quest counter on Treasure Expedition.
Remove 3 quest counters from Treasure Expedition and sacrifice it: Create 3 colorless Treasure artifact tokens with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

EDIT: Mana cost reduced from 1R to R. The temporary ramping is slow enough that this should be okay power-level wise.

mystic1110
2017-07-24, 11:21 AM
Corsair's Sensibilities U
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant Creature
You control enchanted creature as long as the number of treasure tokens you control is equal to or more than enchanted creature's converted mana cost.
Loyality is a commodity - never forget that.

braveheart
2017-07-25, 01:44 PM
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant Creature
You control enchanted creature as long as the number of treasure tokens you control is equal to or more than enchanted creature's mana cost.

Minor adjustment, it should be "converted mana cost" not "mana cost" mana costs include colors, while a converted mana cost is just an interger

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-25, 11:13 PM
Passive Pete - 2UUU
Legendary Creature - Pirate Avatar MR
You may look at the top card of each opponent's library. You may play those cards. You may treat blue mana as though it were mana of any color to cast spells this way.
"Aw, man! I would have been really excited to draw that card, but you had to go and spoil it..."
3/4

As an added bonus, the cards you play this way are easily said to be...

:smallcool: "Pirated."

Eternis
2017-07-26, 03:50 AM
Pearls before Swine 3RRR
Enchantment - R
Activated abilities of treasures opponents control can't be activated on your turn.
Whenever a creature you control attacks, you may gain control of target treasure token defending player controls.
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a treasure token. If you can't, sacrifice ~.
Attacking creatures you control get +2/+0

((Thanks for the pickup, beelzie :D))

Beelzebub1111
2017-07-26, 05:41 AM
Pearls before Swine 3RRR
Enchantment - R
Whenever a creature you control attacks, you may gain control of target treasure token defending player controls.
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a treasure token. If you can't, sacrifice ~.

"In response I tap and sacrifice my treasure tokens."

3WhiteFox3
2017-07-27, 05:49 PM
Raid The Coffers 2RR
Sorcery R
Target opponent sacrifices all Treasure tokens they control, then create a number of colorless Treasure tokens equal to the number of Treasure tokens sacrificed by opponents this turn. (Tokens sacrificed before the spell resolves still create Treasure for you.)

Blue Ghost
2017-07-27, 07:42 PM
Raid The Coffers 2RR
Sorcery R
Target opponent sacrifices all Treasure tokens they control, then create a number of Treasure tokens equal to the number of Treasure tokens sacrificed by opponents.

See the post above yours.

"In response I tap and sacrifice my treasure tokens."

Jormengand
2017-07-27, 08:00 PM
See the post above yours.

More specifically, the card either needs a "This turn" or "In this way" strapped to it to make sense; the former would make more sense.

Eternis
2017-07-27, 09:54 PM
Blue Ghost, the important part is that you still get the treasures, as they sacrifice them one way or another. Sure, maybe they get mana from them like they wouldn't otherwise, but whichever way you slice it you're getting the booty.

3WhiteFox3
2017-07-28, 12:08 AM
More specifically, the card either needs a "This turn" or "In this way" strapped to it to make sense; the former would make more sense. "This turn" was the intent... Just a small mistake on my part. Even if they sac the tokens, the caster still gets Treasure.

Bucky
2017-07-28, 01:07 AM
General templating note: it's usually better to use "Destroy all Treasures" than "Destroy all Treasure tokens" to avoid weirdness with copy effects.

Passive Pete
2017-07-29, 03:37 PM
JUDGMENT

Coming to this post shortly

Carl
2017-07-29, 04:07 PM
JUDGMENT

Coming to this post shortly

You do know you avatar's broken right? Just FYI.

Passive Pete
2017-07-29, 08:18 PM
JUDGMENT IS FINISHED

False Allure -- 4U
Enchantment -- Rare
Activated abilities of Treasures cost 2 more to activate.

As far as hate cards go, I think this is a pretty elegant and clean design. I like that in a limited environment, it completely cuts off the ramp value that treasure tokens provide, but still leaves them as (extremely mediocre) means of color-fixing. This is flavorful, and gets the flavor across with nothing more than the title, so that's cool. Given that this is blue, I could also see it being flavored as something actually related to the economy; I can see Advisors or Vedalken (blue tribes) even creating a scheme that demonetizes a currency. Unfortunately, despite these positive details, this card overall falls into the same trap as almost all hate cards in that it shuts down one deck and is 5 mana for no effect against everything else. Like landwalk. These types of hate cards are among the least interactive cards in Magic in my opinion. Honestly, I dislike this card even more because it punishes people for playing a Treasure-focused deck, which probably takes a lot of bravery. The elegant hate cards are the ones that can hate on many decks for different reasons (Pithing Needle, Scavenging Ooze. Yes those cards are both probably too good), and the ones that have a purpose other than hating a certain deck, but get rewarded if they do (the only things that come to mind are Golakka Crawler and Hungry Crab from Hearthstone, if you're familiar.) Hate cards are hard to do. This is also asking for neat flavor text.

Gemhorn Triceratops 3GG
Creature - Lizard Beast C
When Gemhorn Triceratops dies, create three tapped colorless Treasure artifact tokens with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
3/5

Designing an common is actually pretty ambitious, giving the design restraints involved. However, I love this execution. It combines a dinosaur, which feels cool by itself, while showcasing a set mechanic (Treasures) in a simple in-color-pie way (ramp on a creature) and the idea of a dinosaur being "gemhorn" totally works thematically and it's something I think Wizards of the Coast would totally sell. Only nitpick is that (I think) you had this as a 3/4 for 2GG earlier, and I think I like that build better, given that green has been getting a lot (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=426863) of value (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=430801) for 5 mana at common recently, so a 3/5 might be underwhelming. You could also make this more aggressive, possibly a 5/4 for 3GG, and it would be a little easier to crack it and get the booty. Cute and tight execution overall though. (Also noticed that this is a Lizard Beast, not a Dinosaur, and realized Dinos aren't really a supported creature type. Wow. Either typeline is acceptable to me.)

Ekplixi, the Virtuous 1UR
Legendary Creature - Merfolk Pirate M
Haste, Hexproof
UU, T, Sacrifice X Treasures: Gain control of target creature with converted mana cost X.
RR, T, Sacrifice X Treasures: Two other target creatures with converted mana cost X or less fight each other.
3/3

Lots of awesome ideas here. Seeing the ability to pay gold (sacrifice treasure) to instill a brawl (get two creatures to fight) represented on a design as clean as this really gets my flavor-meter buzzing. Right off the bat though: I'd ditch hexproof, because 1UR for 3/3 haste with game changing abilities is probably already pushing it, even at mythic, and hexproof is just straight uninteractive. I don't think it's a bad idea, I just always have really bad feelings about hexproof. Anyway, like I said, I see lots of ideas for fun Treasure interaction here. The abilities seem pretty balanced and well costed given they can be repeated (maybe the mana costs are a little too cautious, one mana each might work), and the effects are both neatly in color and have encourage ~serious gameplay decision making~. That's the best thing to see in a card, in my opinion. Almost everything on here is a strong thumbs up from me, although I would really like this to have a way to generate Treasure tokens. Given that would clutter the card to oblivion, here's my fix: Change the text from "sacrifice X treasures" to "sacrifice X artifacts." In limited, Treasure tokens will always be the most expendable anyway, and outside of Limited this card becomes significantly less powerful overall, so less restrictions would be fine. Very nice job though.

Deathbeard, the Drowned Captain - 3BB
Legendary creature - Zombie Pirate - R
Whenever a nontoken creature you control dies, create a colorless Treasure artifact token with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
During each of your turns, you may cast a creature card from your graveyard. Spend only mana from Treasures to cast that creature.
3/3

Super solid. The first ability is a smooth way to work Treasure tokens into black's color pie. The second ability is a classic case of "why hasn't this been done before in some way" and I will be very sad if there is no card of this likeliness printed in an Ixalon set. This is very clever and feels very cool thematically in the way you use pirate's treasure to raise a crewmate from the dead. Feels Pirates of the Caribbean, which is definitely a piece of pop culture many people would be able to latch onto. Nitpicks: I'd word the second ability it like Karador, Ghost Chieftan (you may cast ONE creature card from your graveyard) to make it clear that this can't go infinite with a one drop and sac outlet. Also, body can for sure be bigger, considering this is a 5 mana rare. 4/4, 4/3, 3/4, 5/3. Lifelink/menace/deathtouch are probably also options on some of these bodies. None of these would be ludicrous. Overall, definitely awarding this an A in flavor and creativity. All it needs is a cool creepy quote from the Captain himself (maybe along the lines of "they keep coming back for the booty.")

http://i.imgur.com/XsNM31P.jpg

Not sure on his cost or his colours. He's the archetypical villain predator that's been hunted by generations of hunters, who's seen every trick they have and doesn't care, and just gets meaner every time he gets a new scar. But that kind of ability countering is more white or blue's part of the colour pie, except this is very definitely not a traditional example of the ethier colour. And of course an effect like that is a pain to balance. Thoughts?

As an extra note i did consider giving him hexproof, but that felt like it might be unnecessarily punitive for the opponent.

Feels very Dinosaur-ific. You captured the feeling well. You were right in not giving this hexproof, as I said earlier I think hexproof is one of the most dangerous mechanics to play with in Magic given how uninteractive it can be, especially on a big guy like this that is not easily cleared in combat. In general, I have a personal distaste for cards that mention all french vanilla keyword in a list (Odric, Lunarch Marshal, Soulflayer, etc) because they seem visually cluttered and very on-the-nose, but given there's no better way to word these abilities, I can live with them. Working from the recent Majestic Myriarch (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=430811), I think your list should definitely drop wither and infect (they're not evergreen) and gain indestructible, hexproof and maybe others. Also, I'm assuming for the second ability you meant to say end step, because upkeep phases take place almost immediately at the beginning of a turn, and it's very unlikely a creature would be damaged by then. Maybe this beast has its ways.

Iryllia, Master of the Illusionary Armada - 1UR
Legendary Creature - Human Pirate Wizard - Mythic

Menace, Prowess

Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, create a colorless artifact token named Treasure. It has "T, sacrifice this artifact: add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

Whenever Iryllia attacks, if you sacrificed a Treasure this turn, create a 2/2 blue Illusion creature token that's tapped and attacking. Exile it at end of the beginning of the next end step.

1/2

Pirate wizard. Now that's a concept I can get behind. At first glance I thought this card looked grossly cluttered, between the menace/prowess/, treasure creation, and attacking 2/2 illusions, but after imagining this in gameplay I could picture how everything on this card could contribute to one larger package. Cast noncreature spells, use Treasure to cast more noncreature spells, and then swing with a big prowess-ed up dude and a 2/2 to force damage. You walked the line between "card overflowing with abilities" and "card that interacts with so many different things in so many fun ways" and narrowly managed to come out on the latter side. Good job there. The illusion ability in particular sticks out to me and good design for both red and blue, given it feeds into red's affinity for pushing damage through with many attackers and dudes that fizzle away at end of turn, and blue's affinity for Illusions and combat weirdness. I usually find it hard to design for Izzet considering it usually only interacts with instants and sorceries, but this is well thought out.

Ramirez of the Infinite Seas 2WUB
Planeswalker - Ramierez
Whenever you sacrifice a treasure token, Gain 1 life and add a loyalty counter to Ramirez of the Infinite Seas
+1: draw a card, then create a Treasure artifact token with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
-10: Destroy all creatures, then create a 1/1 black Skeleton Pirate creature token with "B:Regenerate this creature" for each creature that died this way
3 Loyalty

Much respect to you for designing a Planeswalker. It always seems to me that nearly all Planewalker designs, printed or fan made are inherently janky or scattered, but there are the occasional ones that feel smooth, like this one. The first (passive/static) ability is really what makes this for me. It turns the +1 into a +2 in a very elegant way and turns the whole Planeswalker into a soft build-around. I like how it builds up to a very show, climactic finish, which, as all well designed planeswalker ults should, doesn't really act as one final coup de grace that wins the game for you on the spot, but puts you in such a position of power that the game will never be the same after that point. Concerns: This card is an engine by itself. It draws a card every turn, gains life, ramps mana, and can eventually wipe the board assuming you protect it. Maybe raise the cost by 1? Also, regenerate is no longer being used as a mechanic. I would totally respect an argument for having the skeletons keep this ability, but also keep in mind they could have lifelink/skulk/flying/vigilance that might be a little cleaner. Minor concern: something about an WUB treasures-matter Planeswalker feels 5% awkward to me. Honestly, I think this could lose black or white (not both) since both can wipe the board and gain life. Blue needs to stay for the draw. Very well thought out.

No worries. :smallsmile:

Huntpack Raptor 4G
Creature - Dinosaur (R)
When Huntpack Raptor enters the battlefield, if it isnít a token, create a token thatís a copy of it.
Huntpack Raptor canít be blocked unless all attacking creatures named Huntpack Raptor are blocked.
3/2

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Green/Huntpack%20Raptor_zpst7p4vdyp.png

I can't even start to get into how much I love this design. Sure, it really doesn't look like there's much going on, especially for a rare, but this is one of the most elegantly simple custom designs I've ever seen, and the flavor of these creatures hunting together is so tight to the ability. I would print mechanic 10/10 times in any dinosaur set I was in charge of. I've always thought "~ can't be blocked unless X is also blocked" was one of the most underused lines in Magic history. I really can't stress how clean this card feels, and how interesting for combat gameplay. My only fear is that the bodies are too small for anyone to actually care about these guys, which is tragic considering how much appreciation they deserve. The sad truth I see here is that two 3/2s will run right into bigger creatures that can block them for free, so they second ability really won't ever be putting your opponent in a tough spot like I feel like it should (unless they don't have a board, which is already horrible for them against green.) The thing is, at 5+ mana in rares green should be casting things that stomp right over blockers without a second thought, and these guys will more likely than not be hesitating to attack because they'd be the ones getting stomped on. That doesn't mean this is a bad design at all, because it's awesome, I just fear that two 3/2s are not influential enough for these guys' ability to shine, and that makes me sad. Especially since one could be taken down by a mere bolt (or something in that neighborhood of cheap burn) and its sibling would be left as a 3/2 on it's lonesome. In short: this is clean cut genius, but I hope that if we ever see it printed, it could instead be 7ish mana for three of these guys. That would be tough to deal with. SIDENOTE: This, in a bant flicker deck, or doubling season/copy deck.

Risky Boots, Pirate Queen (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/21/f9/65/21f965ce99411573522a977b51b57f8c.jpg) 2RUB
Legendary Creature - Human Pirate (R)
Imps you control have Prowess
Whenever you cast an non-creature artifact spell, create two 1/1 black Imp Pirate creature tokens.
4/3

This is cool enough. Would be a fun casual commander with artifacts that buff creatures and artifacts that sac creatures and red anthems and whatnot. It's interesting that you chose to put the prowess on the legend rather than the imps themselves. I have no feeling whether that's good or bad for the design, but it's definitely a decision that was made. Frankly, I know Grixis likes artifacts, but this doesn't feel black to me at all, aside from the imp type. Change imps to goblins/pirates/something that fits the scenery and this could be UR, maybe even R if you were feeling risky. If you want to keep this as three color for commander potential, you should work in a sac outlet or something else that can justify this being black, otherwise I'd try to keep this in as few colors as possible so it would be worth playing in limited. As is this is a 4/3 for 5 in three colors that you only get value off of once you play several artifacts. If it costed 3RR and you could play it in any red deck you draft, this could be a real engine.

Dilophosaurus RG
Creature - Dinosaur - U
First Strike
While Dilophosaurus is attacking prevent all combat damage dealt by creatures damaged by Dilophosaraus this turn.
2/1

I'm assuming the first strike and ability are supposed to represent the venom-spitting trait of the creature? I buy into that, and like it as a way to demonstrate the flavor of "this may be a small, fragile dino, but it's got tricks up its scaly sleeve that make it hard to deal with." That's cool. As far as balance and gameplay goes, this guy is really just a 2/1 that can attack for free, and most of the time will end up blocked by something with toughness >2. End of story. Although that is the design working as intended (I think), I find that a little disappointing considering this is a RG cheap drop, which should be very aggressive at pushing damage through, and it's a DINOSAUR. This guy will serve it's purpose for the first few turns of the game, but once a 3-4 drop hits the board this big mighty dino no longer makes an impact. Overall, it works as intended, but I'd love to push this a lot more. Think about how Voltaic Brawler (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=417762) played. Yes that card was a real pain in the Gearhulk, but I think it's a good model for red green drops. Personally this design just came to mind

Dilophosaurus Swarm 4RG
Sorcery - U
Create three 2/1 red and green Dinosaur tokens with first strike. ~ deals damage equal to the number of Dinosaurs you control to target creature with flying.

Shows little dinos ganging up to be powerful together, and showcases a big venom spit.

http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/Dilophosaurus

STAY TUNED

- - - Updated - - -

Burgeoning Archaeopteryx UG
Creature - Dinosaur C
U: ~ gains flying until end of turn.
When ~ dies, create a 1/1 blue Bird creature token with flying.
The most stunning forms of evolution can begin with the most tentative steps.
2/2

Another good represenation of a non-big/stompy Dino. I didn't expect to see so many, but I like it. The first ability really sells the idea that this dude is just learning to fly, I think that's well done, and the second ability just adds a nudge to make this a somewhat playable two color bear. The problem is, I can't find the green in this design other than it being a dinosaur. It could be monoblue if the price were increased, given its two ability are based around flying, or I'd almost expect this to be UW considering it has the Doomed Traveler ability. I really want this to stay UG though, since blue gets terrible creatures that can fly potentially, and green can beef them up to dino-size. I like that concept. My proposed changes would be to take away the on-death ability and add something like "whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player draw a card" or "whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player put a +1/+1 counter on it." Both these things add a small amount of green (maybe not the first proposal as much) and make the flying ability that much more important. Cool, flavorful concept though.

Treasure Expedition R
Enchanment U
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a quest counter on Treasure Expedition.
Remove 3 quest counters from Treasure Expedition and sacrifice it: Create 3 colorless Treasure artifact tokens with "T, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

EDIT: Mana cost reduced from 1R to R. The temporary ramping is slow enough that this should be okay power-level wise.

A classic treasure hunt. 10/10 would say "X marks the spot" when I sacrifice this. NOTE: I can see how this could potentially be busted with fetchlands, but I am going to completely disregard considering I don't play any formats where fetchlands are important (I play Commander/Frontier/Casual/Standard/Limited) and in general I think it's just boring when we have say no to so many fun custom designs just because there are a handful stupidly good cards out there that shouldn't have been printed. This is part of my judging/designing philosophy.

Overall, I could see this being printed in any set with pirate themes, as it fits right in and the set could benefit from it. It's not overpowered in most environments given that by the time you have this popped, you'll already have a few lands out anyway. Also, this card is a dead draw late game if you don't play artifact synergy. Best case scenario, you're playing RG and ramp this to completion turn 2-4, and get to play one (1) fatty a few turns early. Definitely not a doomsday scenario. I like this, it's a must-have for pirate set. Nothing too crazy to see here. (TurboGhast)

Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant Creature
You control enchanted creature as long as the number of treasure tokens you control is equal to or more than enchanted creature's converted mana cost.

This card is really cool and flavorful in a very subtle way. I love how the control of the creature sways back and forth depending on how much money you have. Tells a story with the gameplay. I don't like though that this discourages me from sacrificing my treasures. If I'm playing a deck with enough treasure to get value from this, I don't want to lose the advantage of also ramping with my tokens. You could tweak this to make treasure tokens to feed into itself, or you could change it altogether to "You control enchanted creature as long as the number of artifacts you control is equal to or more than enchanted creature's converted mana cost." Something to make it less niche and less inconvenient to use. Maybe something like

2U
Enchantment R
Whenever you draw your second card each turn, create a Treasure (or some other blue trigger to create treasures)
U, sacrifice ~: gain control of target creature with converted mana cost equal to or less than the number of Treasure tokens you control.

It creates treasures for itself, and once you sac the enchantment, you can use your tokens again without worry of losing the creature (although that does lose the flavorful back-and-forth aspect I mentioned). Very very creative overall though. I love blue designs like this that change the game by doing the weirdest things. Also points for including flavor text.

Passive Pete - 2UUU
Legendary Creature - Pirate Avatar MR
You may look at the top card of each opponent's library. You may play those cards. You may treat blue mana as though it were mana of any color to cast spells this way.
"Aw, man! I would have been really excited to draw that card, but you had to go and spoil it..."
3/4

As an added bonus, the cards you play this way are easily said to be...

:smallcool: "Pirated."

You don't even have art for this card but something tells me this guy is superhumanly attractive...

Dream scenario: Play a deck where you get this out, donate (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=DONATE) a future sight (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=future+sight) to your opponent, and then they concede because they no longer have any idea how any of the rules work. All can be done in mono-blue.

In all seriousness, this is one of those effects that's just mildly goofy, which is probably why it hasn't been printed, but it just seems so fun that I wish it was. This is simple and clean and fun and I'd love to steal the entirety of my opponent's deck with it. (Especially my friend's mono B deck with Vengeful Pharaoh.)

Pearls before Swine 3RRR
Enchantment - R
Activated abilities of treasures opponents control can't be activated on your turn.

((Thanks for the pickup, beelzie :D))

I like the concept you had, of aggressively stealing your opponents loot, and having to feed loot into the enchantment to keep it running, but honestly this just turned out very messy. Although the first line technically stops your opponents from doing things, as you intended, it really feels like a very roundabout to make a mechanic work that just doesn't. If anything it tells your opponents "spend all your treasure as soon as you get it so I can't steal it" which I don't see fitting in this cards flavor at all. There's so much going on with the first three lines about treasure that the "creatures you control get +2/+0" feels totally tacked on, even though it's the only thing holding this card together in the realm of being playable. The reasons that this card isn't really playable is because it's a hate card, like the first card I reviewed that was pretty similar. If you actually face an opponent with a heck ton of treasure, and you somehow manage to get this 6 mana enchantment with triple red cost out at a reasonable time, this card is gonna suck for them. The other games, this is 6 mana for "your creatures get +2/+0" and three lines of ugliness. I like the idea, and there was a lot of thought put into getting it to work, but generally hate cards just don't work.

Raid The Coffers 2RR
Sorcery R
Target opponent sacrifices all Treasure tokens they control, then create a number of colorless Treasure tokens equal to the number of Treasure tokens sacrificed by opponents this turn. (Tokens sacrificed before the spell resolves still create Treasure for you.)

See the review above, and the very first review of this challenge. No matter how flavorful it is, cards that hate on Treasure and do nothing else just don't add anything to the game. If I was playing this against any deck without treasure, or ~even a deck that has treasure but has none of it out~, this card is 4 mana for a blank effect. These cards need to be put on a creature, so they can at least serve the purpose of attacking and blocking, or broadened to hate on all artifacts. Also technically you need to include the text of a Treasure token, since this creates them.

Honorable mentions: ben-zayb's Explixi and Bucky's Gemhorn Triceratops!
3rd: Beelzebub's Ramirez of the Infinite Seas!
2nd: Blue Ghost's Raptor Twins!
1st: Ninjaman's Deathbeard!

Bucky
2017-07-29, 09:23 PM
Bucky's notes:

I appear to have the only design to create tapped treasure tokens to limit combo potential. And the Triceratops is nowhere close to the most combo-prone Treasure producer of the bunch. Untapped repeatable treasure makers like Iryllia encourage a strategy of doing a bunch of stuff in one turn while making and immediately cashing in Treasures to keep going, while tapped treasures make you accumulate them.

Ramirez' passive loyalty-generating ability replacing one of the two small active abilities is a significant innovation in planeswalker design.

Huntpack Raptor has a ton of subtle uses for its second ability. The simplest is playing several of them and attacking with them all, but you can also e.g. jump one of them to push both through.

Corsair's Sensibilities at U in a set with Treasures is just asking to be splashed by Treasure-heavy decks of any color. While this is a surmountable issue, the point remains that anything with Treasure synergy is inherently splashable, especially if there's only one colored mana in its cost.

And a few design notes on my own card, Gemhorn Triceratops:
The idea at the most basic level was to make a beefstick you can use your early Treasures to ramp into that gives a refund if it's removed right away. As such, I realized pretty quickly that it needed to be pushed higher than 4 mana.

I thought it was important for flavor reasons for a triceratops to have 3 power. In hindsight, it wasn't that important and the creature should've been a 4/4 trample to make it more of a threat and less of a wall.

Finally, the tapped treasures were mainly to keep you from sacrificing it to surprise your opponent with an off-color 8-drop out of nowhere, rather than to prevent copy-and-sac or return-and-sac loops.

LaZodiac
2017-07-29, 11:31 PM
With regards to my card, I could of swore the treasure tokens were artifacts, and thus would get you more imps.

I'll admit I couldn't think of a perfect card so I referenced a pirate I like, so I don't mind I didn't win :smalltongue:

Beelzebub1111
2017-07-30, 05:46 AM
It's funny that you bring up losing the whie and increasing the cost by 1 because the original Ramirez was 3BBU, I should have went with that. I figured if Garruk can have a passive planeswalker ability, nothing prevents anyone else from having it. Also, I guess there's only two skeletons in standard right now because they aren't doing regenerate anymore? Nearly 3/4 of all skeletons in the history of Magic have that ability, and the two cards that generate Skeleton Tokens (Skeletonize and Drudge Spell) use that same ability so I was going off of that.

Carl
2017-07-30, 07:53 AM
Yes i meant end step, brain fart whilst writing :(.

I added wither and infect as they're two of the effects that could most easily completely undermine his intended functionality. Forgetting indestructible and hexproof was silly, but thats a general problem i have on first pass attempt, little detail i usually need a nudge about.

Eternis
2017-07-30, 05:36 PM
With regards to my card, I could of swore the treasure tokens were artifacts, and thus would get you more imps.
Acquiring treasure tokens isn't casting a spell- they're the end result of a spell or ability. If you wanted to get imps from treasures, you would word it like so:

"Whenever a non-creature artifact enters the battlefield under your control, create two 1/1 black Imp Pirate creature tokens."

(which fyi would go *great* with investigation)

Ninjaman
2017-07-31, 08:24 AM
Challenge: Create an uncommon that Yixlid Jailer's (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=130702) effect hoses in some way.

Clarification:
Hoses does not mean it needs to be useless, it just mean that if your opponent (or you for that matter) has a Yixlid Jailer your card will be worse than if he hadn't.

Gauntlet
2017-07-31, 09:10 AM
Yixlid Fugitive - 2BR
Creature - Zombie Rogue - Uncommon

Haste

When Yixlid Fugitive deals combat damage to a player, create a 1/1 red Rogue creature token.

BR, sacrifice two Rogues: Return Yixlid Fugitive from your graveyard to your hand.

"This specimen was broken out by its compatriots not once, but twice. No longer, however - now they would not even recognise the wretch if they were interred next to it."

2/3

Carl
2017-07-31, 09:15 AM
http://i.imgur.com/46AiLiY.jpg

I'd have liked to use Amokhet style split but the set editor lacks that alas. None too sure on the cost, the effects are quite specific but powerful, and instant speed is nothing to sneeze at.

EDIT: I added Cycling to the non-aftermath part. It help make it more useful generally as a black deck could take it to cycle into graveyard to cast to get back vampires or zombies whilst white could take it just for the targeted hate and a mixed deck could take it for both with the option of cycling it if the opposing deck doesn't show any vampires or zombies. Feels better in terms of general utility that way than a card thats usless to mono-black and usless if your opponent doesn't play any zombies or vampires.

Bucky
2017-07-31, 11:05 AM
Armadillo Totemist 1GW
Creature - Elf Druid U
As long as a creature card with lifelink is in your graveyard, Armadillo Totemist gets +1/+1 and has lifelink.
As long as a creature card with trample is in your graveyard, Armadillo Totemist gets +1/+1 and has trample.
2/2

Partial designer's notes:
In addition to the assumption that the set contains Yixlid Jailer and therefore probably has some sort of graveyard enablers, this design relies on a 1- or 2- drop white common with Lifelink and at least one green common with Trample.

BasketOfPuppies
2017-07-31, 01:30 PM
Armadillo Totemist 1GW
Creature - Elf Druid U
As long as a creature card with lifelink is in your graveyard, Armadillo Totemist gets +1/+1 and has lifelink.
As long as a creature card with trample is in your graveyard, Armadillo Totemist gets +1/+1 and has trample.
2/2

There are no abilities from the graveyard in this card, so it doesn't fit the challenge

Misothene
2017-07-31, 02:56 PM
Twilight Rising UB
Sorcery- U
Return up to two target creature cards from your graveyard to your hand. If one or more of those cards had flying, draw a card.

There are no abilities from the graveyard in this card, so it doesn't fit the challenge

Yixlid Jailer removes all abilities from cards in the graveyard. Since Bucky's card got better if cards with certain keywords were in your graveyard, it seems like it would count as being negatively affected by the Jailer (since it could no longer find those keywords with the Jailer around).

BasketOfPuppies
2017-07-31, 04:50 PM
Yixlid Jailer removes all abilities from cards in the graveyard. Since Bucky's card got better if cards with certain keywords were in your graveyard, it seems like it would count as being negatively affected by the Jailer (since it could no longer find those keywords with the Jailer around).

I misread the card. Oops.

Carl
2017-07-31, 05:39 PM
Twilight Rising UB
Sorcery- U
Return up to two target creature cards from your graveyard to your hand. If one or more of those cards had flying, draw a card.

When would the flying keyword check take place with that one, the way it's written you seem to be assuming "as you choose the cards", (though in that case had should be has), but is that when the check would actually take place, one of those points of rules order i'm none too clear on and it occurs to me to ask to be sure it's doing what you think it is.

Eternis
2017-07-31, 06:58 PM
Enduring Hope 2WU
Enchantment - U
Whenever you cast a spell with flashback, put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control. If you do, draw a card.

ben-zayb
2017-07-31, 07:23 PM
New entry down thread
Calamity 3RRR
Creature - Incarnation R
Trample
When ~ enters the battlefield, destroy up to two target lands and/or artifacts.
Whenever ~ is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library.
6/3

EDIT: Yes, land destruction isn't really done regularly anymore, but incarnations can have that powerful and unique design space.
As usual, abilities like the third being gone makes it open for reanimation (so it isn't hosed in those kinds of deck)

TurboGhast
2017-07-31, 09:41 PM
Scrap-Iron Skeleton 4
Artifact Creature - Skeleton Construct U
1, Exile two other artifact cards from your graveyard: Return Scrap-Iron Skeleton from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
3/3

Eternis
2017-07-31, 10:10 PM
Ben-Zayb: "Create an uncommon"

Misothene
2017-07-31, 11:23 PM
When would the flying keyword check take place with that one, the way it's written you seem to be assuming "as you choose the cards", (though in that case had should be has), but is that when the check would actually take place, one of those points of rules order i'm none too clear on and it occurs to me to ask to be sure it's doing what you think it is.

My intention was to have it check on resolution if one of the cards had flying as it was leaving the graveyard. I do not believe anything exactly analogous has been done before to give an exact wording template, but am open to being proven wrong. There are a few reasons checking on resolution makes more sense to me- the primary one being that it lets the opponent use instant-speed graveyard exiling effects.

Calamity 3RRR
Creature - Incarnation R
Trample
When ~ enters the battlefield, destroy up to two target lands and/or artifacts.
Whenever ~ is put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle it into its owner's library.
6/3

1. As Eternis notes, the challenge specifies an uncommon,
2. Yixlid Jailer only interacts with this ability if you discard, mill, or otherwise put the card into a graveyard from somewhere other than the battlefield. If it's on the battlefield and dies, then the Jailer doesn't "erase" the ability before it can go on the stack; see the gatherer rules notes on Yixlid Jailer. Given the very limited scope of interaction (and questions of whether that's even bad for you), I don't think this would qualify as getting "hosed."

LaZodiac
2017-08-01, 12:07 AM
Gravecaller's Scream 1B
Instant - U
Until end of turn, you may activate abilities of cards in your graveyard any time you could cast an instant.
Draw a card.
"Who says I need a fancy bell?"

Bucky
2017-08-01, 01:42 AM
My intention was to have it check on resolution if one of the cards had flying as it was leaving the graveyard. I do not believe anything exactly analogous has been done before to give an exact wording template, but am open to being proven wrong.

The closest I found was Cemetery Recruitment.

ben-zayb
2017-08-01, 07:03 AM
Whoops! Messed that up. How about this?

Bloodthirst Elemental BR
Creature - Elemental U
Sacrifice a creature: ~ gains double strike until end of turn.
Whenever a creature deals combat damage, you may pay 2BR. If you do, return ~ from your graveyard to the battlefield.
2/1

Jormengand
2017-08-01, 02:26 PM
Force 2R
Instant U
Creatures attack this turn if able.
/
Reckon With 4WW
Instant U
Aftermath
Reckon With deals 5 damage divided as you wish among any number of attacking or blocking creatures.

mythmonster2
2017-08-01, 04:15 PM
Indebted Soul BB
Creature- Spirit (U)
Flying
Exile four creatures named Indebted Soul from your graveyard: Search your library for a Demon creature card and put it onto the battlefield. Then, shuffle your library. Activate this ability only from your graveyard.
2/2

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-01, 05:46 PM
Kahless the Unforgettable - 5RWW
Legendary Creature - Orc Warrior MR
Double Strike, Vigilance
Valhalla - Exile Kahless the Unforgettable from your graveyard: Attacking creatures you control get +1/+1 and gain Double Strike until end of turn. Use this ability only if Kahless was put into the graveyard from the battlefield.
5/5

Uplifting Courier 1W
Creature - Bird C
Flying
Valhalla - Exile Uplifting Courier from your graveyard: target creature gains flying until end of turn. Use this ability only if this card was put into the graveyard from the battlefield.
Today we remember Goldie, the messenger bird that our children awoke to watch early each morning.
1/1

Vengeful Valkyrie 4WW
Creature - Angel R?
Flying
Valhalla - Exile Vengeful Valkyrie from your graveyard: Exile target attacking creature. Use this ability only if this card was put into the graveyard from the battlefield.
The schemes of our enemies are not deserving of true honor.
4/4

Honored Sentinel - 3W
Creature - Human Soldier U
Vigilance
Valhalla - Exile Honored Sentinel from your graveyard: Untap all creatures you control. Use this ability only if this card was put into the graveyard from the battlefield.
Tonight, we keep watch as Hyodr did.
3/3

Mystic Muse
2017-08-01, 06:00 PM
Undying Anthem 1W
Enchantment (R)
When Undying Anthem enters the battlefield, creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
As long as Undying Anthem is in your graveyard, creatures you control get +1/+1.

Kahless the Unforgettable - 5RWW
Legendary Creature - Orc Warrior MR
Double Strike, Vigilance
Valhalla - Exile Kahless the Unforgettable from your graveyard: Attacking creatures you control get +1/+1 and gain Double Strike until end of turn. Use this ability only if Kahless was put into the graveyard from the battlefield.
5/5

Has to be uncommon.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-01, 07:41 PM
Has to be uncommon.

The funny part is that my plan was to spoiler it and make a Common with the same mechanic. :smalltongue:

(Edit: The uncommon is there now.)

BasketOfPuppies
2017-08-01, 08:28 PM
Ashen Corpse 2B
Creature- Zombie U
3R, exile ~ from your graveyard: deal 4 damage to target creature. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
3/2

Jormengand
2017-08-01, 09:04 PM
Use this ability only if this card was put into the graveyard from the battlefield.

Bzzzt! Memory issues! Bzzzt!

You could have it be "Only if this card died this turn", say.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-01, 10:42 PM
Bzzzt! Memory issues! Bzzzt!

You could have it be "Only if this card died this turn", say.

That occurred to me, but at some point I realized that it really doesn't have memory issues. It's something a tabletop player can easily notice and keep track of: if it's discarded or whatever, it just goes to your graveyard with everything else, but if it dies in battle you give it a special place among the honored dead in Valhalla. We can put it on special playmats for the prerelease events and everything.

(Really, this started with me wondering how I could take advantage of the fact that Graveyard Order is no more, and then wondering how I could do graveyard interaction without encouraging self-discard shenanigans.)

tgva8889
2017-08-01, 11:46 PM
Golgari Spawnlord 2GB
Creature - Insect (U)
Golgari Spawnlord has power and toughness equal to the number of creatures you control (even when it's in the graveyard).
Scavenge 4GB (4GB: Exile this card from your graveyard: Put a number of +1/+1 counters equal to this card's power on target creature. Scavenge only as a sorcery.)
*/*

somethingrandom
2017-08-02, 04:55 AM
Ancient Ent 2G
Creature - Treefolk U
Vanishing 3 (This creature enters the battlefield with three time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.)

G, Exile ~ from your graveyard: Search your Library from a basic forest and put it into play tapped

2/5
When I die, I will be reborn as new life.

Beelzebub1111
2017-08-02, 08:45 AM
Brutality 2RR
Creature - Incarnation U
Menace
While Brutality is in your graveyard and you control a mountain, creatures you control have Menace
3/3

Sgt. Cookie
2017-08-04, 08:51 AM
Glorious Martyr 1WW
While ~ is in the graveyard, Soldiers and Warriors you control get +1/+1.
A hero in life. A legend in death.
2/2

Ionbound
2017-08-04, 08:57 AM
Wish From Beyond-1URB

Sorcery-U

You may cast ~ from any public zone.

You may put a non-creature, non-land card you own from any public zone and put it into your hand.

What mysteries does the beyond hold?

Eternis
2017-08-04, 07:58 PM
Put a noncreature card you own from any public zone into your hand.
Is this what you were going for? Because a spell is only a spell if it's currently being cast...

Ionbound
2017-08-04, 08:02 PM
Yeah. I was going for non-creature non-land. Will edit, TY.

Ninjaman
2017-08-05, 03:35 AM
Wish From Beyond-1URB

Sorcery-U

You may cast ~ from any public zone.

You may put a non-creature, non-land card you own from any public zone and put it into your hand.

What mysteries does the beyond hold?

Casting from any public zone would be really complicated I think, as it would allow casting it from the stack.
I think the card would at least need a reminder text saying which zones were public, or you might just write them instead of public zone.

Blue Ghost
2017-08-05, 09:50 AM
The rules complexity and weirdness also indicates that it's a better fit for rare than uncommon.

tgva8889
2017-08-05, 01:29 PM
Putting a card you own from the stack into your hand is certainly weird. Also this card infinitely lets you get any card from exile, which sounds like a thing that isn't going to get printed. This card also randomly doesn't target for some reason, which allows you to, weirdly, put itself from the stack into your hand when it resolves. Definitely not an uncommon.

Ninjaman
2017-08-07, 11:26 PM
Judgement will be up later today.

Ninjaman
2017-08-09, 02:25 PM
Sorry for the wait everyone.

Yixlid Fugitive - 2BR
Creature - Zombie Rogue - Uncommon

Haste

When Yixlid Fugitive deals combat damage to a player, create a 1/1 red Rogue creature token.

BR, sacrifice two Rogues: Return Yixlid Fugitive from your graveyard to your hand.

"This specimen was broken out by its compatriots not once, but twice. No longer, however - now they would not even recognise the wretch if they were interred next to it."
2/3
I like the design. Without the graveyard ability it is still a reasonably powerful uncommon, so I'm glad that you didn't push the graveyard ability any more.

http://i.imgur.com/46AiLiY.jpg

The Wrath side is super situational, like way too much. The Embrace part is also very specific, without sufficient payoff.
Also next time please include your card in text as well, as it makes replying easier.

Armadillo Totemist 1GW
Creature - Elf Druid U
2/2
I like the design, but even with common enablers it might be too difficult to turn on.

Twilight Rising UB
Sorcery- U
I know that this is an uncommon, but compared to Cemetery Recruitment and Wander in Death it might be doing just a little too much for limited. It might be fine though, and the design is interesting, even if it feels a little clunky to return to creatures but only care about one having flying.

Enduring Hope 2WU
Enchantment - U
Whenever you cast a spell with flashback, put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control. If you do, draw a card.
Needing to actually have a creature in order to draw the card is really awkward, also this seems pretty lackluster compared to Secrets of the Dead.

Scrap-Iron Skeleton 4
Artifact Creature - Skeleton Construct U
1, Exile two other artifact cards from your graveyard: Return Scrap-Iron Skeleton from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
3/3
This type of effect usually returns to hand, but the creature being very unimpressive otherwise it might be fine.

Gravecaller's Scream 1B
Instant - U
Until end of turn, you may activate abilities of cards in your graveyard any time you could cast an instant.
Draw a card.
"Who says I need a fancy bell?"
This card seems really lackluster. What exactly is it supposed to be used for?
Also I'm not sure the wording is correct, as you can always activate the abilities unless it specifically says otherwise, so something like "even if the ability says otherwise" might need to be added.

Bloodthirst Elemental BR
Creature - Elemental U
Sacrifice a creature: ~ gains double strike until end of turn.
Whenever a creature deals combat damage, you may pay 2BR. If you do, return ~ from your graveyard to the battlefield.
2/1
Was the second ability meant to read "Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to an opponent"? Because it probably should. Even with that change this creature might be doing too much too efficiently for a common.

Force 2R
Instant U
Creatures attack this turn if able.
/
Reckon With 4WW
Instant U
Aftermath
Reckon With deals 5 damage divided as you wish among any number of attacking or blocking creatures.
Force seems weak, but Reckon With is a good limited card, even if it is unlikely to often get cast with Force.
The fact that "force to be reckoned with" is a more common usage of the idiom makes the name feel a bit less clever.

Indebted Soul BB
Creature- Spirit (U)
Flying
Exile four creatures named Indebted Soul from your graveyard: Search your library for a Demon creature card and put it onto the battlefield. Then, shuffle your library. Activate this ability only from your graveyard.
2/2
A 2/2 flier for BB shouldn't be done without a downside. It definitely shouldn't be done at uncommon with an upside. Getting all four into your graveyard may be difficult, but the payoff is too good for a card that is already too pushed.

LaZodiac
2017-08-09, 02:52 PM
Concerning my card: Unearth, Scavenge, Embalm, Eternalize, basically every graveyard mechanic specifically says it's a sorcery. The idea is that you play my card to...make it not that. Someone swings in with your guys and then surprise! A skeleton jumps from the ground and gets you.

Ninjaman
2017-08-09, 02:55 PM
Honored Sentinel - 3W
Vigilance
Valhalla - Exile Honored Sentinel from your graveyard: Untap all creatures you control. Use this ability only if this card was put into the graveyard from the battlefield.
Tonight, we keep watch as Hyodr did.
3/3
As Jormengaard pointed out this really does have memory issues. Needing to keep the creatures that died rather than was put into the graveyard some other way is a problem, and should be avoided.
Even ignoring that problem, I think the ability to untap all your creatures at any point for free might prove too good in limited. You play the Sentinel and trade it for something. After then you never has to fear the opponent alpha striking after you swung with one too many creatures to block, simply by having this sitting in your graveyard. Would also be hell with tap abilities.

Ashen Corpse 2B
Creature- Zombie U
3R, exile ~ from your graveyard: deal 4 damage to target creature. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
3/2
Simple, but very effective. I like the only as a sorcery precaution, but I fear shooting for 4 is still too much. Making it 2R and shoot for three might be safer. Still very nice clean design.

Golgari Spawnlord 2GB
Creature - Insect (U)
Golgari Spawnlord has power and toughness equal to the number of creatures you control (even when it's in the graveyard).
Scavenge 4GB (4GB: Exile this card from your graveyard: Put a number of +1/+1 counters equal to this card's power on target creature. Scavenge only as a sorcery.)
*/*
When I first read the card I thought it looked at creature cards in your graveyard, but I was quite intrigued when I discovered I had read wrong.
Clean cards that connects old mechanics in a new way is always nice to see. Compared to Scion of the Wild this is probably balanced fairly.
Glad that you included reminder text.

Ancient Ent 2G
Creature - Treefolk U
Vanishing 3 (This creature enters the battlefield with three time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.)

G, Exile ~ from your graveyard: Search your Library from a basic forest and put it into play tapped

2/5
When I die, I will be reborn as new life.
I am quite scared of the exile ability, it seems like a really easy way to make value for a little cost. Discarding this to a tormenting voice or milling it only to then exile it to ramp seems quite powerful if it could be pulled off reliably in limited, and possibly even in constructed. I would increase the cost on the ability, probably all the way to 2G.

Brutality 2RR
Creature - Incarnation U
Menace
While Brutality is in your graveyard and you control a mountain, creatures you control have Menace
3/3
Compared to all the others it is fair, there just isn't a lot of new interesting design going on here, it is just following an old template with a new ability on it.

Glorious Martyr 1WW
While ~ is in the graveyard, Soldiers and Warriors you control get +1/+1.
A hero in life. A legend in death.
2/2
Interesting ability. Can make it difficult for the opponent to play around it if you can enable him, I like the plays that could create. Discarding or sacrificing him would be powerful, but luckily not that easy in white, meaning you would need to play other colors, which would likely make his effect worse. The flavor text seems a bit weird though, as a 2/2 vanilla for 1WW is hardly a hero.

3rd - BasketofPuppies with Ashen Corpse
2nd - tgva8889 with Golgari Spawnlord
1st - Gauntlet with Yixlid Fugitive

Sgt. Cookie
2017-08-09, 03:36 PM
You know, I'm not gonna lie:

The idea of a sacrifice/discard outlet didn't actually cross my mind when making him white. I made him white because that's where Anthem effects usually are.

Ninjaman
2017-08-09, 11:46 PM
You know, I'm not gonna lie:

The idea of a sacrifice/discard outlet didn't actually cross my mind when making him white. I made him white because that's where Anthem effects usually are.

But like I said that is actually a good thing. If he was in colors that could enable him too easily he might be too strong. A version shifted to black and buffing zombies and skeletons for instance I think would be too strong.

Gauntlet
2017-08-10, 03:32 AM
Thanks! I figured one of the cool things about Yixlid Jailer was the flavor text, so hijacking that for something else that fit into the same world could be a fun place to go.

For your next challenge:

Commander 2017 is currently being spoiled, and with it are tribal themes! With that in mind, here is the challenge:

Create an artifact, creature or enchantment card that cares about a specific creature type(s), that is not a permanent anthem effect.

That means no Knight Exemplar, Goblin King, or Lord of the Accursed.
Obsidian Battle-Axe, Dauntless Dourbark, and Edgar Markov would all be just fine.

If you want some inspiration, check out the C17 spoilers.

somethingrandom
2017-08-10, 04:49 AM
Abthan Voice of the World WUBRG
Legendary Creature - Elemetal R
~ Gets +1/+1 for each other Elemtal you control
As long as you control another white elemental ~ has Vigilance.
As long as you control another blue elemental ~ has Flying.
As long as you control another black elemental ~ has Deathtouch.
As long as you control another red elemental ~ has First strike.
As long as you control another green elemental ~ has Trample.

5/5

Sgt. Cookie
2017-08-10, 07:48 AM
You could cut down on some of that text by wording it like this:

~ Gets +1/+1 for each other Elemental you control
The same is true of another blue elemental and flying, a black elemental and deathtouch, a red elemental and first strike and a green elemental and trample.
5/5

TurboGhast
2017-08-10, 10:31 AM
Spellmaster Atina WURBG
Legendary Creature - Human Spellshaper M
Eminence - As long as Spellmaster Atina is in the command zone or on the battlefield, activated abilities of other Spellshapers you control cost 1 less to activate.
At the beginning of each end step, if you discarded a card this turn, draw a card.
2, T, Discard a card: Untap all other Spellshaper creatures you control.
2/4

EDIT: Activated effect cost reduced to 2.

LastCenturion
2017-08-10, 11:22 AM
Standalone Shield -- 3
Artifact -- Equipment -- Rare
As long as equipped creature is attacking or blocking, it gets -1/-0 for each other attacking or blocking creature you control.
Equipped creature has "If you control no other creatures, this creature can block any number of creature and has indestructible."
Standalone Shield cannot be equipped to a token.
Equip 5

Bucky
2017-08-10, 01:11 PM
Deserter's Shame W
Enchantment - Aura C
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature is a Coward and has Defender.
Enchanted creature can't block Warriors.

Sgt. Cookie
2017-08-10, 01:36 PM
Blade of Clan's Honour 1
Artefact - Equipment
When ~ enters the battlefield choose a creature type.
Equipped creature gets +X/+0 where X is the number of creature you control of the chosen type.
Equip 1

tgva8889
2017-08-10, 04:41 PM
Lord of the Many-Headed XRG
Legendary Creature - Hydra (R)
Lord of the Many-Headed enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Each other Hydra creature you control enter the battlefield with a number of additional +1/+1 counters on it equal to the number of counters on Lord of the Many-Headed.
0/0

Beelzebub1111
2017-08-10, 08:19 PM
Nacatl Warrior Tactics 3GG
Tribal Enchantment - Cat R
Cat creatures you control must be blocked by exactly one creature if able

somethingrandom
2017-08-11, 04:25 AM
Standalone Shield -- 3
Artifact -- Equipment -- Rare
As long as equipped creature is attacking or blocking, it gets -1/-0 for each other attacking or blocking creature you control.
Equipped creature has "If you control no other creatures, this creature can block any number of creature and has indestructible."
Standalone Shield cannot be equipped to a token.
Equip 5

I don't think this fulfills the challenge I don't see how it cares about creature type(s).

ben-zayb
2017-08-11, 07:20 AM
Let's give Kamigawa some loving...

Zanpakuto 1
Artifact - Equipment U
Equipped creature has deathtouch and can only block or be blocked by Spirits.
Equip--Sacrifice a creature

LastCenturion
2017-08-11, 02:18 PM
I don't think this fulfills the challenge I don't see how it cares about creature type(s).

In my defense, there's probably a challenge or two that it would fulfill.

But yeah, I screwed up. Thanks for catching it.

Take two:

Divine Ascension -- 3WW
Enchantment -- Rare
Whenever a non-Angel Human you control dies, return it to the battlefield at the beginning of your next end step, except it's an Angel in addition to its other types.
Angels you control have flying and lifelink.

Ionbound
2017-08-11, 05:22 PM
[Vampiric Repopulation]-3BBB

Enchantment-R

Whenever a vampire enters the battlefield under your control, you may tap it. If you do, gain control of target creature. It becomes a vampire in addition to it's other types.

After the war, the vampire population quickly regrew from both the willing and unwilling mortal survivors.

mythmonster2
2017-08-11, 07:17 PM
United Legion- WR
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of each combat, Soldiers you control gain flying until end of turn if you control a Soldier with flying. The same is true for first strike, double strike, deathtouch, haste, hexproof, indestructible, lifelink, menace, reach, trample, and vigilance.
No Boros ever fights alone.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-11, 09:36 PM
Dark Magician Girl 3B
Creature - Human Wizard U
Flying
Whenever this creature attacks, it gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the number of other Wizard creatures you control plus the number of Wizard cards in your graveyard.
2/2

Misothene
2017-08-12, 03:54 AM
Virulent Pathogen BG
Enchantment- R
Insects and Rats you control have deathtouch and poisonous 1.
As long as you control both an Insect and a Rat, creatures you control get +1/+0 and trample.
When you control no creatures, sacrifice Virulent Pathogen.
"What most don't seem to realize is that life is death."
-Vraska

Beelzebub1111
2017-08-12, 08:51 AM
The Hunger 3
Common Hunter Spell
Target minion gets +2/+2. IF it's undead it gains lifesteal

braveheart
2017-08-12, 09:23 AM
The Hunger 3
Common Hunter Spell
Target minion gets +2/+2. IF it's undead it gains lifesteal

This thread is for Magic the Gathering cards, yours is a hearthstone card, figured you should know

Beelzebub1111
2017-08-12, 12:17 PM
Crap, wrong thread,,,,thanks

Blue Ghost
2017-08-12, 11:57 PM
Inventor's Workshop 3
Artifact (R)
Tap an untapped Artificer you control: Put a charge counter on Inventorís Workshop.
T, Remove X charge counters from Inventorís Workshop: Search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost X or less and put it on the battlefield. Shuffle your library. X canít be 0.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Colorless/Inventors%20Workshop_zpsifxkocyr.png

Eternis
2017-08-13, 07:10 PM
Eater of Eternities 8
Creature - Eldrazi (MR)
When you cast ~, exile all Angels, Demons, Devils, and Spirits.
8/8

(Thanks given to Dr. Guns for the correction)

Ninjaman
2017-08-15, 09:56 AM
Worland, the Everrisen - 2BG
Legendary Creature - Zombie- M
At the beginning of your upkeep you may return a Zombie creature card with converted mana cost X or less from your graveyard to play, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
Whenever Worland, the Everrisen or another zombie enters the battlefield under your control, you may put the top two cards of your library into your graveyard.
4/2

mystic1110
2017-08-15, 10:14 AM
Redemption Engine 3
Artifact R
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put target demon creature on the bottom of its owner's library. That creature's controller reveals cards from the top of his or her library until he or she reveals an angel creature card. The player puts that card onto the battlefield and the rest on the bottom of his or her library in a random order.
"Everything can be automated - even second chances."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-15, 11:30 AM
Sorcery - MR

Sorcery
//
Sorcery

Sorceries are neither artifacts nor enchantments nor creatures.

mystic1110
2017-08-15, 11:36 AM
Lol, completely missed that part :facepalm:

Blue Ghost
2017-08-15, 01:45 PM
Redemption Engine 3
Artifact R
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put target demon creature on the bottom of its owner's library. That creature's controller reveals cards from the top of his or her library until he or she reveals an angel creature card. The player puts that card onto the battlefield and the rest on the bottom of his or her library in any order.

So what happens if the player has no angels? Do they just rearrange their library however they want?

BasketOfPuppies
2017-08-15, 01:52 PM
Redemption Engine 3
Artifact R
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put target demon creature on the bottom of its owner's library. That creature's controller reveals cards from the top of his or her library until he or she reveals an angel creature card. The player puts that card onto the battlefield and the rest on the bottom of his or her library in any order.

Usually when you search through a lot of cards and put them on the bottom they're random.

mystic1110
2017-08-15, 02:39 PM
So what happens if the player has no angels? Do they just rearrange their library however they want?

Yep - that was actually how Proteus Staff was occasionally used when it was briefly popular.

Usually when you search through a lot of cards and put them on the bottom they're random.

But, since multiple people are asking this question - i'll change it for power consideration.

Blue Ghost
2017-08-16, 10:34 AM
Yep - that was actually how Proteus Staff was occasionally used when it was briefly popular.

But, since multiple people are asking this question - i'll change it for power consideration.

It's not just a power consideration, though that's certainly a factor. It's also that waiting for someone to reorder their entire library is really tedious. I'm pretty sure the Proteus Staff thing was an exploit and not an intended interaction.

Jormengand
2017-08-16, 11:27 AM
Never Outnumbered 3UU
Enchantment - R
Whenever you cast a zombie spell, draw a card.
There's always more of them. The same can't be said of their enemies.

ViolentViolet
2017-08-18, 03:49 PM
Bloodgiver W/B W/B 2
Creature-Vampire-U
Whenever this creature deals damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it
T: put a -1/-1 counter on this creature, regenerate a Vampire or human.
Sacrifice this creature: regenerate any number of target creatures.
2/4

Sgt. Cookie
2017-08-18, 04:39 PM
First off, Violet, welcome to our mad little community.

Second, the wording you want is "regenerate target Human or Vampire".

And, lastly, Regenerate is being phased out as it was deemed too complex as a mechanic. Instead, creatures gain Indestructible until end of turn.

Sgt. Cookie
2017-08-19, 10:36 AM
I think we're due a judging by now.

Gauntlet
2017-08-20, 01:01 PM
Judging will be up today.

Gauntlet
2017-08-20, 02:18 PM
Let's give Kamigawa some loving...

Zanpakuto 1
Artifact - Equipment U
Equipped creature has deathtouch and can only block or be blocked by Spirits.
Equip--Sacrifice a creature

I think this is a bit on the underwhelming side. Unblockability is nice, but sacrificing a creatue to equip is a major cost, and this is a whole lot worse than something like a Whispersilk Cloak. It's an interesting effect and sort of flavorful, but you'd think a spiritbane item would be better against spirits rather than just only interact with them and nobody else.

Divine Ascension -- 3WW
Enchantment -- Rare
Whenever a non-Angel Human you control dies, return it to the battlefield at the beginning of your next end step, except it's an Angel in addition to its other types.
Angels you control have flying and lifelink."Angels you control have flying" is a strange line of text to have, even if it does make sense here. It's a cool flavorful effect, although that's not how Angels function on Innistrad, which is the only plane with Human tribal themes. It's definitely very white in colour, and I could see it being played (at least in commander, where free recursion effects seem pretty interesting even if they aren't repeatable without blink).

[Vampiric Repopulation]-3BBB

Enchantment-R

Whenever a vampire enters the battlefield under your control, you may tap it. If you do, gain control of target creature. It becomes a vampire in addition to it's other types.

After the war, the vampire population quickly regrew from both the willing and unwilling mortal survivors.This card is very powerful - repeatable Mind Control is a scary effect. At six mana, though, it's probably not broken - especially since it does nothing unless you can untap with it and have more cards in hand, which seems like a pretty difficult challenge. I think maybe a cheaper version of this card with a weaker effect would be more interesting (requiring mana or tapping multiple creatures), just because this card is very feast-or-famine in that it either goes off and does ridiculous things or (more commonly) it's completely worthless because of its extortionate mana cost and requirements.

United Legion- WR
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of each combat, Soldiers you control gain flying until end of turn if you control a Soldier with flying. The same is true for first strike, double strike, deathtouch, haste, hexproof, indestructible, lifelink, menace, reach, trample, and vigilance.
No Boros ever fights alone.Fitting, and probably correctly costed given that it does absolutely nothing on its own. The only relevant current evergreen keyword you missed off is Prowess,
which I suppose could be intentional. I like the flavor, and it all works well together. Ravnica isn't normally Tribal, but 'Soldier Tribal' does feel very Boros.

Dark Magician Girl 3B
Creature - Human Wizard U
Flying
Whenever this creature attacks, it gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the number of other Wizard creatures you control plus the number of Wizard cards in your graveyard.
2/2A flying creature that cares about Wizards specifically feels very blue. It would take a very strange set for an aggressive Wizard tribal creature to be a relevant uncommon in Black. If this cost 2UB, I would really like it, but it throws me off somewhat. I get the flavor, but I think blue/black would still be appropriate.

Virulent Pathogen BG
Enchantment- R
Insects and Rats you control have deathtouch and poisonous 1.
As long as you control both an Insect and a Rat, creatures you control get +1/+0 and trample.
When you control no creatures, sacrifice Virulent Pathogen.
"What most don't seem to realize is that life is death."
-VraskaDeathtouch + Trample is a very unintuitive interaction that Wizards specifically avoids putting on the same card. It's a clever combination of mechanics with an interesting result,
but that result isn't something which is easy to read from the card initially and it's not something I think could see print. Especially since it's also a two-mana do-nothing some of the time, which is never fun.

Inventor's Workshop 3
Artifact (R)
Tap an untapped Artificer you control: Put a charge counter on Inventorís Workshop.
T, Remove X charge counters from Inventorís Workshop: Search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost X or less and put it on the battlefield. Shuffle your library. X canít be 0. The 'X can't be 0' helps this card immensely, but it's still pretty scary. The 'or less' means that you can still tap an Artificer and the Workshop to search up a Lotus Bloom and put it onto the battlefield, which is a scary place to be. I'm not sure this immediately goes infinite, but it certainly does powerful things. Not requiring mana to put stuff onto the battlefield is always worrying.

Eater of Eternities 8
Creature - Eldrazi (MR)
When you cast ~, exile all Angels, Demons, Devils, and Spirits.
8/8That's definitely an Eldrazi. Solid card, does some cool things. It does exile Brisela which is a bit off, though. While the effect is interesting I'm not sure it is worth Mythic as opposed to just Rare - in a lot of games it's just gonna be an 8 mana 8/8 which is a bit underwhelming.

Worland, the Everrisen - 2BG
Legendary Creature - Zombie- M
At the beginning of your upkeep you may return a Zombie creature card with converted mana cost X or less from your graveyard to play, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
Whenever Worland, the Everrisen or another zombie enters the battlefield under your control, you may put the top two cards of your library into your graveyard.
4/2Seems like a reasonable big splashy black/green zombie. This card isn't very Green, to be honest, but if Meren can be black/green I suppose this guy can be too - although adding zombie tribal to a card does make it seem more black. Sidisi is the other comparison point - this seems like a cross between Sidisi and Meren with added Zombie tribal. Seems like a solid card, and probably an appropriate Mythic.

Redemption Engine 3
Artifact R
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put target demon creature on the bottom of its owner's library. That creature's controller reveals cards from the top of his or her library until he or she reveals an angel creature card. The player puts that card onto the battlefield and the rest on the bottom of his or her library in a random order.
"Everything can be automated - even second chances."If this is a hate piece for decks with a lot of Demon cards, it seems absurdly narrow. If it's used instead to turn a cheap Demon of your own into an expensive Angel, it seems reasonable, but it's not like demons are cheap and this sort of Polymorph plan seems worse than other things that do that (Shape Anew, Polymorph). The fluff also doesn't seem to line up particularly well - especially if your opponent doesn't have angels in their deck.

Never Outnumbered 3UU
Enchantment - R
Whenever you cast a zombie spell, draw a card.
There's always more of them. The same can't be said of their enemies.As mentioned in the Vampire tribal card above, expensive cards that require you to have more cards in hand to do things often feel clunky, and this is no exception. It's a very strong effect when going off, but this would probably be better on an easier-to-remove piece for less mana, like a 3-4 mana creature.
Also, Innistrad is the plane with blue zombies - but the 'endless horde' trope is more of a card for the black Innistrad zombies animated by ghoulcallers and so on, since most of the time blue zombies are manually / scientifically created rather than being the tide of meat described here. Generally on Innistrad blue zombies are more individually elite or recur themselves rather than making lots of zombies,
so the fluff doesn't line up with the name.

Bloodgiver W/B W/B 2
Creature-Vampire-U
Whenever this creature deals damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it
T: put a -1/-1 counter on this creature, regenerate a Vampire or human.
Sacrifice this creature: regenerate any number of target creatures.
2/4+1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters don't turn up in the same set, since it can be confusing to read a boardstate. On the same card is even more worrying, since it's very difficult to determine whether this guy with a single counter on it is 3/5 or 1/3. Regeneration is also a mechanic that isn't used much - I would recommend using 'is indestructible this turn' instead, since it's functionally very similar but a lot lighter on the rules.
A card this complex should also definitely not be an uncommon.

Beelzebub1111
2017-08-20, 02:42 PM
I believe you skipped your review of Nacatl Warrior tactics

Sgt. Cookie
2017-08-20, 02:47 PM
I believe you skipped your review of Nacatl Warrior tactics

Everything before Ben-Zayb's was skipped, actually.

Gauntlet
2017-08-20, 03:44 PM
Apparently multiquote doesn't like me today. Will put them up now.

~ Gets +1/+1 for each other Elemtal you control
As long as you control another blue elemental ~ has Flying.
As long as you control another black elemental ~ has Deathtouch.
As long as you control another red elemental ~ has First strike.
As long as you control another green elemental ~ has Trample.

5/5Firstly, this should definitely be a Mythic given that it's a big five-colour splashy card. This card has a lot of overlap with Horde of Notions, which I feel is a more interesting Elemental tribal card than this is. At the end of the day this is just a big dumb beater with a lot of keywords, and doesn't do anything to actually help the rest of the creatures on the board.

Nacatl Warrior Tactics 3GG
Tribal Enchantment - Cat R
Cat creatures you control must be blocked by exactly one creature if ableTribal is a keyword you only want to use with very good reason, it doesn't get taken often for good reasons. Five mana is a lot for an effect like this -
consider that Levitation only costs four mana. Nacatl War-Pride is only one more mana for a way strong card since you get a load of cats in with your effect too. I think this effect would probably be totally fine at one to two mana,
and Uncommon.

Spellmaster Atina WURBG
Legendary Creature - Human Spellshaper M
Eminence - As long as Spellmaster Atina is in the command zone or on the battlefield, activated abilities of other Spellshapers you control cost 1 less to activate.
At the beginning of each end step, if you discarded a card this turn, draw a card.
2, T, Discard a card: Untap all other Spellshaper creatures you control.
2/4I like the idea of a spellshaper lord, but I think the big problem with Spellshapers is that you have to discard for all their effects, which means a lot of the time untapping them and reducing their costs doesn't really help them that much because you aren't solving the primary reason they have trouble. I feel like while the effects are all cool bonuses to have none of them feel splashy enough to justify the 'face card of a commander deck' slot this appears to want.

Deserter's Shame W
Enchantment - Aura C
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature is a Coward and has Defender.
Enchanted creature can't block Warriors.Very fitting common. The only problem with this card is that it is basically Warrior tribal, which is a little awkward in the color that normally favors Soldiers - other than in Khans block (which was very Warrior heavy everywhere) this style of effect has been primarily red - see Boldwyr Intimidator. I'd pin this as a R/W card - with two mana with slightly higher power somewhere, or one hybrid mana.

Blade of Clan's Honour 1
Artefact - Equipment
When ~ enters the battlefield choose a creature type.
Equipped creature gets +X/+0 where X is the number of creature you control of the chosen type.
Equip 1This is basically just a Stoneforge Masterwork that gives one more power and no toughness, for one fewer equip cost. It's a reasonable effect for the mana, but very close to an existing card. It's also missing a rarity - I'd guess at Rare?

Lord of the Many-Headed XRG
Legendary Creature - Hydra (R)
Lord of the Many-Headed enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Each other Hydra creature you control enter the battlefield with a number of additional +1/+1 counters on it equal to the number of counters on Lord of the Many-Headed.
0/0This should probably be mythic as a big splashy lord. It fits the colors, and it works as a big guy. Hydra tribal is a cool plan - I do thing that this guy could do with being a bit scarier in and of himself rather than just being a dumb keywordless guy on his own, given that he's probably the least scary individual hydra himself which is a strange / unexpected place to be.

Favourites were:
Ninjaman's Worland, the Everrisen
LastCenturion's Divine Ascension
Mythmonster2's United Legion
Blue Ghost's Inventor's Workshop
Bucky's Deserter's Shame
tgva8889's Lord of the Many Headed

Mythmonster2 with United Legion

Bucky
2017-08-20, 06:05 PM
My Honorable mention goes to Inventor's Workshop.

I agree about the "less than" point. It implies a value engine based on trinkets, with things like Renegade Map and spellbombs for card advantage off a single artificer and maybe a couple of expensive win conditions.

Or you can run it with Etherium Sculptors and fetch more Inventor's Workshops and it gets a bit crazy. Perhaps it should be legendary?

Still, Inventor's Workshop inspired me to brew and that counts for a lot.

And design notes on my own card:

The design intent was to scale from Guard Duty to discount Pacifism depending on tribal dedication. Guard Duty is fine in a Limited control deck, but it's bad in aggro because they don't care about counterattacks as much; I compensate for that by giving evasion to a tribe of beatdown weenies.

It obviously expects some amount of white Warriors. I agree completely on Soldiers; in fact, the same change occurred to me after my last chance to access the forums for judging.

I judged the blocking restriction to be acceptable in white because white gets to forbid blocking both as part of a Pacifism effect and regarding a specific creature type as in Kor Castigator or Protection from <subtype>. This design is the intersection of the two.

Also, the design won't work either as a hybrid (Red can't give Defender) or at two cost (due to Pacifism).

mythmonster2
2017-08-20, 10:29 PM
Dang, there were a lot of good entries in this one, I was honestly kinda surprised I won! I actually copied the list of keywords from the last card to do this effect, which was Majestic Myriarch (http://combodeck.net/Card/Majestic_Myriarch). Maybe it's missing Prowess because the keywords are only on the creatures during combat and that would make Prowess only apply to Instants?

Now, I recently came to learn about this article from Planar Chaos, and I love the idea of it, so,

Challenge: Create a card from Space: the Convergence (http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/space-academy-lesson-one-2007-02-26)!

I'll accept cards that use Magic terminology (Creatures and Instants) or the terminology used in the article (Units and Tactics), although please do put a description in parentheses if you do the latter, for clarity.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-21, 12:45 AM
Harrison Solo, Scum Smuggler 2BB
Unique Unit - Human Rogue MR
First Strike, Skulk
Whenever this unit deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card. Until the end of the turn, you can play that card from the junkyard. You can use black psi in place of other colors to pay that card's cost.
(In mix-and-match games, unique units count as legendary creatures and black psi counts as black mana.)
3/3

Jormengand
2017-08-21, 11:59 AM
Glacius, Vargan Archivist 2Y
Unique Unit - Viin Psion MR
Whenever you teleport a tactic or strategy item, you may tap target unit. Then, if there are three or more tactic or strategy cards in your void, delete Glacius, Vargan Scholar and return him to the planet upgraded.
"Strange. An entire section of the archive is missing."
2/2
//
Glacius, Knower of Secrets
Explorer - Glacius MR
+1: Each player draws a card, then each opponent discards a card.
-3: Shuffle your void into your archive, then draw two cards.
-7: You gain a seal with "Whenever you teleport a tactic or strategy item, draw a card."

(Glacius, Vargan Archivist 2U
Legendary Creature - Vedalken? Wizard? MR
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may tap target creature. Then, if there are three or more instant or sorcery cards in your graveyard, exile Glacius, Vargan Scholar and return him to the battlefield transformed.
2/2
//
Planeswalker - Glacius MR
-3: Shuffle your graveyard into your library, then draw two cards.
-7: You get an emblem with "Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, draw a card."
5)

LastCenturion
2017-08-21, 10:30 PM
That article is WEIRD. I like it.

Conviction -- 1W
Tactic -- Rare
Selected unit, resource, augment, or device disjoints Shadow and Pyre until the end of your next turn.

Conviction -- 1W
Instant -- Rare
Target Creature, Land, Enchantment, or Artifact gains protection from Black and Red until the end of your next turn.

Terrain Manipulation -- GG
Augment -- Rare
When Terrain Manipulation comes under your command, pay X psi. You may put a shift counter on X selected resources.
Resources under your command with shift counters on them can be tapped for any alignment of psi.

Enchantment -- Rare
When ~ enters the battlefield, pay X mana. blah blah blah they can be tapped for any color

Blue Ghost
2017-08-21, 11:35 PM
Orbital Smuggling Operation 2U
Development (U)
At the end of combat, if you attacked with an orbital unit this cycle, gain 1 credit. (Credits may be spent as psi of any type.)
Pay 3 credits, abandon Orbital Smuggling Operation: Scan 3, then draw three cards.

Enchantment (U)
At the end of combat, if you attacked with a creature with flying this turn, gain 1 credit. (Credits may be spent as mana of any color.)
Pay 3 credits, sacrifice ~: Scry 3, then draw three cards.

I treated the original article as a proof of concept rather than a finished product, and took some liberties with the terminology.
Development (enchantment), cycle (turn) and scan (scry) are borrowed from the Space the Convergence Cube (http://xerent.lokalen.org/template/space/spoiler.php).
Stuck with "attack" instead of "assault," because it's much cleaner, and there's no reason to change it except for the sake of being different, which is not a good reason.
"Abandon" feels more flavorful than "forfeit" in a sci-fi setting.

Credits are stored in a credit pool, and may be used as a substitute for psi that you can store. In that way they're similar to Gold tokens, but they're not permanents. Many cards that give credits also have alternate uses for them. They can be either a set mechanic or an evergreen mechanic, depending on how the game develops.

Ionbound
2017-08-22, 09:30 PM
Infested Lux Crystal

Resource-Lux Necroleum-R

As ~ enters the battlefield, you may pay 2 life. If you don't, ~ enters the battlefield tapped.

Formerly pure lux crystals infected by the alien plague that destroyed Halakhus, these crystals are destroyed on sight by Aeruloni authorities and are viewed as bringers of doom by the rest of the galaxy.

BasketOfPuppies
2017-08-22, 09:45 PM
Infested Lux Crystal

Resource-Lux Necroleum-R

As ~ enters the battlefield, you may pay 2 life. If you don't, ~ enters the battlefield tapped.

Formerly pure lux crystals infected by the alien plague that destroyed Halakhus, these crystals are destroyed on sight by Aeruloni authorities and are viewed as bringers of doom by the rest of the galaxy.

Isn't this just a shockland? I'm pretty sure the challenge was to make something new.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-23, 12:02 AM
I still have to make this:

SMASH LAMPJAW 1WW
Hero Unit - Gideon MR
(In mix-and-match games, this card counts as a creature and as a Gideon planeswalker.)
Vigilance, Loyalty 2 (This card gets 2 Loyalty counters when it comes into play and 2 at each of your upkeep steps.)
<-1>, make up a new name for this unit and shout it aloud: this unit gets +1/+1 until end of turn. (It keeps the new name.)
3/3

Misothene
2017-08-23, 04:13 AM
Nerazim Dark Templar 1UB
Unit- Protoss Psion U
Cloaked (other players can't block or target this unit unless they command a permanent with Detector)
3/1

In this Starcraft-themed set (and I imagine Space more generally), hexproof would be a more common ability to represent cloaking technology. It would be different from the ability in Magic in two ways: 1. it would also prevent blocking; most cards would only have activated cloaking, and 2. the rules would write in a way to get around it by introducing the Detector ability. This card would be an example of punishing someone for not getting any detection (just like DTs do in Starcraft).

Fleet Observer 3
Device Unit- Construct U
Cloaked, Detector, Orbital
0/1

Missile Turret 4
Device Unit- Structure C
Defender, Detector, Anti-air (this unit can block units with orbital)
Missile Turret can't block units without orbital.
4/3

Zerg Overseer 2B
Unit- Zerg Drone C
Orbital, Detector
0/4

Comsat Station
Resource- U
T: Add C to your psi cache.
1U, T: Comsat Station gains Detector until end of turn.

Ionbound
2017-08-23, 10:39 AM
Isn't this just a shockland? I'm pretty sure the challenge was to make something new.

Nowhere does the challenge say anything about something new.

TurboGhast
2017-08-23, 10:55 AM
Planetbuster Bomb RW
Device
Countdown 2 (This device enters the battlefield with two timer counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a timer counter from it. When the last is removed, forfeit it.)
When ~ leaves the battlefield, if it had no timer counters on it, annihilate all devices and units without orbital.

Wording for checking whether you properly waited out the countdown based on Chronozoa (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=111066).

Since the original Space: the Convergence article left the MtG term "play" unchanged and it was correct MtG terminology at the time of release, I'm going to assume that the change from "play" to "the battlefield" has also occurred in StC.

Upkeep as a term might be more flavorful in StC than normal MtG, since it evokes the idea of regular equipment maintenance. For this reason, I left it unchanged.

Planetbuster Bomb RW
Artifact
Vanishing 2 (This artifact enters the battlefield with two time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.)
When ~ leaves the battlefield, if it had no time counters on it, destroy all artifacts and creatures without flying.

EDIT: :smallconfused: I swear I changed Vanishing to Countdown when I first posted this. Whatever, I can change it now.

mythmonster2
2017-08-23, 05:44 PM
Nowhere does the challenge say anything about something new.

True, I'll accept existing cards shifted into the setting, but I'll be honest and say that I would greatly prefer original cards.

ben-zayb
2017-08-24, 07:50 AM
Pulseblarer 1B
Unit - Nanite Swarm C
Decoy (Units without decoy can't be intercepted as long as this unit is assaulting and able to be intercepted.)
Pulsescattering technology was discarded for being dangerous and resource-intensive, until The Starchild integrated it in their microadaptive nanites.
1/1

"M:tG" version
Crypthowler 1B
Creature - Zombie Beast C
Decoy (Creatures without decoy can't be blocked as long as this creature is attacking and able to be blocked.)
1/1

Decoy is supposed to be an evasion-enabler mechanic for Black (sacrificial pawn) and either Blue (misdirection) or Green (bait), which is comparable to "lure".

Carl
2017-08-24, 08:46 AM
Hey, question, could someone try and summarize the challenge a bit better, i really couldn't make head nor tails of that article. Pros because i'm major stressing out IRL ATM, (also not sleeping as a result, e.t.c.). So my usual focus seems a bit AWOL.

Jormengand
2017-08-24, 10:16 AM
Hey, question, could someone try and summarize the challenge a bit better, i really couldn't make head nor tails of that article.

"Imagine that Magic: The Gathering were a science-fantasy game instead of a regular swords-and-sorcery style fantasy. Make a card that fits into the new setting."

Instants and sorceries are now tactics and strategies, which (much like current instants and sorceries) reflect lots of events performed by or on behalf of the faction which don't technically fulfil names like "Sorcery" or "Strategy". Creatures are "Units", Enchantments are "Augments" and artefacts are "Devices" but those are terminology changes rather than them really representing anything different; lands are "Resources" and therefore generally represent crystals or power sources rather than physical locations.

Carl
2017-08-24, 12:42 PM
"Imagine that Magic: The Gathering were a science-fantasy game instead of a regular swords-and-sorcery style fantasy. Make a card that fits into the new setting."

Instants and sorceries are now tactics and strategies, which (much like current instants and sorceries) reflect lots of events performed by or on behalf of the faction which don't technically fulfil names like "Sorcery" or "Strategy". Creatures are "Units", Enchantments are "Augments" and artefacts are "Devices" but those are terminology changes rather than them really representing anything different; lands are "Resources" and therefore generally represent crystals or power sources rather than physical locations.

Thank Jormungand, with the sort of cards people where making as obvious popular scfi references it was throwing me even more, now i get it :).

Beelzebub1111
2017-08-24, 05:29 PM
Alpha Thallid Proginator 1GG
Heroic Unit - Thallid R
At the beginning of your upkeep put a 1/1 Xeno Thallid unit token onto the battlefield with "at the beginning of your upkeep put a spore counter on this unit"
Remove 3 spore counters from units you control: put a 1/1 sporeling unit onto the battlefield
Send forth our children to populate and proliferate countless worlds, nothing shall be beyond the reach of the Great Thalid race.
0/6

(Heroic, i assume is the scifi supertype for legendary)

Passive Pete
2017-08-25, 12:17 AM
Adulterated Replication 1U
Tactic R
Exile target unit card from any player's void. Create a token that's a copy of that unit, except it's 1/1 and a device in addition to it's other types.

I think I got all the terminology correct. Flavor it that of technology being used to artificially bring a dead character back to "life," creating a droid version that maybe isn't quite the same. I thought it felt sci-fi. Like Anakin being brought back as Darth Vader. Except Darth Vader probably isn't a 1/1. I like it at instant speed because it can be used like a combat trick, flashing in a deathtouch creature to block, like a villain you thought was dead ambushing you for great damage.

Yes I said "any player's void" instead of "a void" because I thought it sounded nicer.

EDIT: changed cost

Adulterated Replication U
Instant R
Exile target creature card from a graveyard. Create a token that's a copy of that creature, except it's 1/1 and an artifact in addition to it's other types.

braveheart
2017-08-25, 01:47 AM
Critical Mass Compiler 1
Device
Critical mass compiler enters the battlefield with 4 time counters on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep remove a time counter from critical mass compiler.
T, sacrifice critical mass compiler: put target permanent into it's owner's void, do this only when Critical Mass Compiler has no time counters on it.

Ezeze
2017-08-25, 09:04 AM
Alpha Thallid Proginator

Oh man, this card turned me on a little bit. I live for weird OP Jank :smallbiggrin:

BasketOfPuppies
2017-08-25, 09:12 AM
Oh man, this card turned me on a little bit. I live for weird OP Jank :smallbiggrin:

Weird OP Jank? I think I found a fellow EDH player

Ezeze
2017-08-25, 09:20 AM
Weird OP Jank? I think I found a fellow EDH player

You know it!

Big Pod Commander is the best Magic. If there aren't at least 6 players what are you even doing? :smalltongue:

BasketOfPuppies
2017-08-25, 09:22 AM
You know it!

Big Pod Commander is the best Magic. If there aren't at least 6 players what are you even doing? :smalltongue:

Nothing like playing one game for 7 hours.

Ezeze
2017-08-25, 09:40 AM
Nothing like playing one game for 7 hours.

Sure there is.

Playing that game for 6 hours, getting close to the final show down, then someone plays Thieves' Auction (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=thieves%27%20auction) :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Alternatively; Big Pod +Plane Chase Commander Magic.

BasketOfPuppies
2017-08-25, 12:44 PM
Sure there is.

Playing that game for 6 hours, getting close to the final show down, then someone plays Thieves' Auction (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=thieves%27%20auction) :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Alternatively; Big Pod +Plane Chase Commander Magic.

I'm more of a Warp World person myself

Beelzebub1111
2017-08-25, 12:53 PM
Grip of chaos!

Ninjaman
2017-08-28, 10:51 AM
Olympus Space Support - 3W
Artifact Creature - Station - R
Defender, flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may distribute two +1/+1 counters among one or two other target creatures.
1/5

mythmonster2
2017-08-28, 01:52 PM
Harvey's making things difficult for me, so I'll say that submissions will be cut off at midnight tonight, Central US time, and hopefully I can get judging done tomorrow.

mythmonster2
2017-08-29, 06:12 PM
Harrison Solo, Scum Smuggler 2BB
Unique Unit - Human Rogue MR
First Strike, Skulk
Whenever this unit deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card. Until the end of the turn, you can play that card from the junkyard. You can use black psi in place of other colors to pay that card's cost.
3/3
I like this card. Very difficult to block effectively, and a good effect when it gets through. My only concern is the power level, and its difficulty to block could maybe make it 5 mana, but I think it should be alright.

Glacius, Vargan Archivist 2Y
Unique Unit - Viin Psion MR
Whenever you teleport a tactic or strategy item, you may tap target unit. Then, if there are three or more tactic or strategy cards in your void, delete Glacius, Vargan Scholar and return him to the planet upgraded.
"Strange. An entire section of the archive is missing."
2/2
//
Explorer - Glacius MR
-3: Shuffle your void into your archive, then draw two cards.
-7: You gain a seal with "Whenever you teleport a tactic or strategy item, draw a card."
Props on creating the only planeswalkeró excuse me, explorer, of the challenge! A good old fashioned card advantage creator. The flip condition seems like it could be very easy to trigger, especially in eternal formats, and the card advantage gained even with the +1 is quite large. Powerful, but I donít think it would be OP.

Terrain Manipulation -- GG
Augment -- Rare
When Terrain Manipulation comes under your command, pay X psi. You may put a shift counter on X selected resources.
Resources under your command with shift counters on them can be tapped for any alignment of psi.

So, itís flexible color fixing that can potentially affect a large number of lands. Unfortunately, this is minimum 1GG just to color fix one land, and by the time you get much higher than that, color fixing isnít really an issue. I think this could probably be G.

Orbital Smuggling Operation 2U
Development (U)
At the end of combat, if you attacked with an orbital unit this cycle, gain 1 credit. (Credits may be spent as psi of any type.)
Pay 3 credits, abandon Orbital Smuggling Operation: Scan 3, then draw three cards.
QUOTE]
I like the idea of credits, and this card could definitely make for a good limited flyers deck. I also like the choice between using credits for mana or for drawing cards. My only problem is that credits could be used as ramp, which doesnít really fit in blue, as far as Iím aware. It is tied to a blue mechanic, in attacking with flying creatures, which kind of makes up for it, though.
[QUOTE=Ionbound;22316272]Infested Lux Crystal

Resource-Lux Necroleum-R

As I said before, I would accept setting-shifted cards, but prefer original submissions. As is, itís a shockland, which we know to be good, and I like the flavor, but thereís not much more to be said about it.

Nerazim Dark Templar 1UB
Unit- Protoss Psion U
Cloaked (other players can't block or target this unit unless they command a permanent with Detector)
3/1

Solid limited card, and I like the twist on Hexproof that Cloaked provides. Your detectors seem good, too, and will help Cloaked not be too powerful. Good overall.

Planetbuster Bomb RW
Device
Countdown 2 (This device enters the battlefield with two timer counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a timer counter from it. When the last is removed, forfeit it.)
When ~ leaves the battlefield, if it had no timer counters on it, annihilate all devices and units without orbital.

Good flavoró I like how it doesnít hit orbital creatures and countdown is a great name for Vanishing in this setting, and itís a solid card overall that provides some counterplay. Only weirdness is that Iím not sure the red is really necessary, since wraths are pretty solidly in white or black; redís board clears usually deal damage

Pulseblarer 1B
Unit - Nanite Swarm C
Decoy (Units without decoy can't be intercepted as long as this unit is assaulting and able to be intercepted.)
Pulsescattering technology was discarded for being dangerous and resource-intensive, until The Starchild integrated it in their microadaptive nanites.
1/1

Interesting, a built-in Lure on a creature. Iíve always liked Lure and similar cards, so I like it, and itís sure to be a priority target. Iím not quite so sure that the mechanic has enough depth to be keyworded, though, since itís often gonna play out the same. Plus, lures seem to be almost entirely green, so black is a bit of an odd choice.

Alpha Thallid Proginator 1GG
Heroic Unit - Thallid R
At the beginning of your upkeep put a 1/1 Xeno Thallid unit token onto the battlefield with "at the beginning of your upkeep put a spore counter on this unit"
Remove 3 spore counters from units you control: put a 1/1 sporeling unit onto the battlefield
Send forth our children to populate and proliferate countless worlds, nothing shall be beyond the reach of the Great Thalid race.
0/6

Iíll admit, Iím not the biggest fan of spore counters, but I do like tokens, and I like the twist on the usual spore counters, so that kind of balances out for me. It might be just a bit too cheap, due to the amount of board pressure it can start putting out early in the game.

Adulterated Replication 1U
Tactic R
Exile target unit card from any player's void. Create a token that's a copy of that unit, except it's 1/1 and a device in addition to it's other types.

I really like this card, and thereís a lot of good possibilities here. The enforced 1/1 might balance out the low cost, but I could still see this being very powerful with the right combos.

Critical Mass Compiler 1
Device
Critical mass compiler enters the battlefield with 4 time counters on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep remove a time counter from critical mass compiler.
T, sacrifice critical mass compiler: put target permanent into it's owner's void, do this only when Critical Mass Compiler has no time counters on it.
So, 1 mana to destroy a permanent, but you have to wait four turns for it (five if you count the turn you play it). I think the time requirement is more than fair, and it could probably be 3 time counters without being too bad.

Olympus Space Support - 3W
Artifact Creature - Station - R
Defender, flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may distribute two +1/+1 counters among one or two other target creatures.
1/5
Wow, the flavor of this one is hitting me right on, and it seems like a pretty solid card overall, too. At minimum, it can quickly start beefing itself up into a potent defender, and otherwise, itíll stay back and block while buffing your board. Cost is decent, too, making this a very solid card overall.

Ninjaman, with Olympus Space Support!

Ezeze
2017-08-30, 09:31 AM
I disagree with Dr.Gunsforhands that Han Solo is made of black mana - I think blue would be more accurate.

But ultimately his biggest miss was not giving him the creature type "Nerf Herder" :smalltongue:

ben-zayb
2017-08-30, 04:50 PM
RE: Harrison Solo
I could've sworn its first strike ability got errata'd out.

Unlike the normal Lure that forces all creatures to block, Decoy gives the defending player an option whether to block it, and with which creature/s.

I've also thought about staying in the Green color pie, but Black also got the minilure "Must be blocked this turn if able" in Deadly Allure. I thought a color shift/addition on a lesser Lure ability makes as much sense flavorwise.

Blue Ghost
2017-08-30, 10:26 PM
Regarding blue, credit, and ramp:

Blue does get ramp on occasion. Not in as straightforward a way as green, but it does get mana generation (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=221171) and cost reduction (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=423695). And my vision for credits is that it's a mechanic similar to Eldrazi spawn/scions (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=401868) and Treasure tokens (http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/ixalan-mechanics), both of which appear across multiple colors, including blue.

Silent_Interim
2017-08-31, 12:05 AM
Regarding blue, credit, and ramp:

Blue does get ramp on occasion. Not in as straightforward a way as green, but it does get mana generation (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=221171) and cost reduction (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=423695). And my vision for credits is that it's a mechanic similar to Eldrazi spawn/scions (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=401868) and Treasure tokens (http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/ixalan-mechanics), both of which appear across multiple colors, including blue.

Yet further examples (that nobody needed or asked for)- Omniscience, (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=288937) Warden of Evos Isle. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=413618)

tgva8889
2017-08-31, 12:53 AM
Ah, blue, completely hilariously broken in the sheer number of things it can do.

mythmonster2
2017-09-01, 12:11 PM
I've sent a message to Ninjaman, if he doesn't respond in 24 hours, say it's an open floor for someone to give a challenge?
EDIT: Never mind, Ninjaman's inbox is apparently full.

Ninjaman
2017-09-02, 03:59 AM
Sorry I kept you guys waiting for so long.
New Challenge:

Make a one mana creature with effectively two or more power

Effectively means that when playing it will usually have two power even if it doesn't have 2 power written on the card. That means that something like Kird Ape or Rakdos Cackler counts. It also means that something like a creature that has 2 power written on it, but enters with a -1/-1 counter doesn't count unless it has a way of removing it.
Hope the challenge is not too ambiguous.

Beelzebub1111
2017-09-02, 11:59 AM
Flinching Braggart R
Creature - Goblin Warrior U
When there are attacking or blocking creatures, Flinching Braggart becomes a Goblin Coward and is 1/1
5/5

BasketOfPuppies
2017-09-02, 12:43 PM
Flinching Braggart R
Whenever a creature attacks or blocks Flinching Braggart becomes a Goblin Coward and gets -4/-4 until end of turn
5/5

So if two creatures attack/block does this get -8/-8?

Beelzebub1111
2017-09-02, 02:16 PM
So if two creatures attack/block does this get -8/-8?
Not how it should work. It should be a 1/1 when there's attacking or blocking creatures. Let me think about it.

Bucky
2017-09-02, 04:02 PM
Lazy Promulg G
Creature - Beast C
Trample

When Lazy Promulg enters the battlefield, tap target land you control. It doesn't untap during its controller's untap step for as long as you control Lazy Promulg.
It only leaves its home feeding ground for its daily rampage.
3/2

Note: Still a one-drop since the ETB ability will usually target a tapped land.

Design notes (do not read before judging):
This is a modernized design for Rogue Elephant; it gives use of the land back when it dies. It loses a point of toughness in return to make trading actually happen, and has Trample so that attacking and trading probably has some compensation for spoiling one's curve in the form of 1-2 face damage.

mythmonster2
2017-09-02, 05:10 PM
Wandering Warrioró R
Creatureó Orc Warrior (R)
Haste
1: Gain control of Wandering Warrior. Any player may activate this ability. You can't activate this ability during combat.
2/2

Combat phrasing from Djinn of Infinite Deceits (http://combodeck.net/Card/Djinn_of_Infinite_Deceits).

Mystic Muse
2017-09-02, 05:49 PM
Wandering Warrioró R
Haste
1: Gain control of Wandering Warrior. Any player may activate this ability.
2/2

You probably want to make this ability sorcery speed.

mythmonster2
2017-09-02, 06:09 PM
You probably want to make this ability sorcery speed.

I had the idea of "bidding" wars over the creature where both people pay mana to keep control of it. Is there a particular reason you think it should be sorcery speed?

Mystic Muse
2017-09-02, 06:37 PM
I had the idea of "bidding" wars over the creature where both people pay mana to keep control of it. Is there a particular reason you think it should be sorcery speed?

I think it does weird things, changing control mid-combat. I'vecplayed a while, and am not sure how something like that works.

ben-zayb
2017-09-02, 07:12 PM
Pale Knight B
Creature - Zombie Knight U
Dash 1BB
First Strike
At the beginning of each upkeep, target creature you control gets -2/-1, gains deathtouch, and can't block until end of turn.
3/2

TurboGhast
2017-09-02, 07:21 PM
I think it does weird things, changing control mid-combat. I'vecplayed a while, and am not sure how something like that works.

If a creature's controller changes mid combat, that creature will leave combat. The current version of Wandering Warrior is extremely hard to attack or block with, since your opponent could just pay one to gain control. Even if you activated the ability again, the temporary control change will still have removed the warrior from combat.

One way to make mid combat bidding wars work is by adding "unless the controller of Wandering Warrior pays 1" to the ability. Preventing the ability from activating during combat is an alternate, less complicated method of making forcing the creature out of combat tougher while still allowing bidding wars.

mythmonster2
2017-09-02, 09:10 PM

If a creature's controller changes mid combat, that creature will leave combat. The current version of Wandering Warrior is extremely hard to attack or block with, since your opponent could just pay one to gain control. Even if you activated the ability again, the temporary control change will still have removed the warrior from combat.

One way to make mid combat bidding wars work is by adding "unless the controller of Wandering Warrior pays 1" to the ability. Preventing the ability from activating during combat is an alternate, less complicated method of making forcing the creature out of combat tougher while still allowing bidding wars.

Ah, hadn't considered that. I'll add a clause about combat.

Ionbound
2017-09-02, 09:16 PM
Disciple of Gaia-G

Creature-Elf Shaman-R

~ has +1/+1 for each Green mana in your mana pool.

1/1

Blue Ghost
2017-09-02, 10:49 PM
Blackblade Goon B/R
Creature - Goblin Mercenary (C)
Hire (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may pay 2 life. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
The Blackbladesí services never come cheap, but they always deliver.
1/1

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Multicolor/Blackblade%20Goon_zpshytwmyne.png

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-09-03, 12:33 AM
Penthouse Custodian - W
Creature - Spirit C
Flying, Defender
Though the last in the line died decades ago, the butler of Belia Manor remains a hereditary position.
2/1

braveheart
2017-09-03, 12:51 AM

Exchanging control of a creature causes summoning sickness, and an opponent paying 1 mana during the end of your precombat main phase is still enough to prevent it from attacking, it could still block, but the current version would not be able to attack unless the opponent lets it.

This is in addition up the other previously mentioned repercussions of control exchange

- - - Updated - - -

And my own entry

Lumbering Thrashmaw G
Creature - Beast - U
Trample
At the beggining of your upkeep, tap Lumbering Thrashmaw, unless you pay (1)
3/3

tgva8889
2017-09-03, 02:35 AM
Greedy Mercenaries B
Creature - Human Mercenary (U)
Sacrifice an artifact: Gain control of Greedy Mercenaries and untap it. If that artifact is not a token, Greedy Mercenaries gains haste until end of turn. Any player may activate this ability but only any time he or she could cast a sorcery.
2/3

Ninjaman
2017-09-03, 10:46 AM
Exchanging control of a creature causes summoning sickness, and an opponent paying 1 mana during the end of your precombat main phase is still enough to prevent it from attacking, it could still block, but the current version would not be able to attack unless the opponent lets it.
It does have haste though so that gets around this problem.

Gauntlet
2017-09-04, 06:08 AM
Spiritcaller of Frost - (R/G)

Creature - Human - Mythic

RG: Spiritcaller of Frost becomes a Human Warrior with base power and toughness 4/1.

RUUG: If Spiritcaller of Frost is a Warrior, it becomes a Human Elemental Warrior with Flying and base power and toughness 4/4.

RRUUGG: If Spiritcaller of Frost is an Elemental, put two +1/+1 counters on it and tap up to one target creature.

1/1

Meant to be a callback to Figure of Destiny and Warden of the First tree, as the KTK clans rebel against the Dragonlords and the Atarka / Temur rediscover the frost magic they abandoned.

Sgt. Cookie
2017-09-04, 09:52 AM
Grenzo's Shocktrooper R
Haste
Melee (Whenever this creature attacks, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each opponent you attacked with a creature this combat.)
1/1

LastCenturion
2017-09-04, 10:18 AM
Thraben Wayfinder -- W
Creature -- Human Scout -- Common
2/1

BasketOfPuppies
2017-09-04, 12:04 PM
Grenzo's Shocktrooper R
Haste
Melee (Whenever this creature attacks, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each opponent you attacked with a creature this combat.)
1/1

In 1v1 isn't this just a Goblin Guide that doesn't give your opponent lands?

tgva8889
2017-09-04, 04:49 PM
In 1v1 isn't this just a Goblin Guide that doesn't give your opponent lands?

The answer you're looking for here is "mostly yes." It's technically worse against things like Night of Souls' Betrayal or Engineered Plague, but the upside is you get a creature at an utterly amazing rate.

Eternis
2017-09-05, 12:58 AM
Belari of the Flesh B
Legendary Creature - Zombie Wizard MR
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice another creature. If you do, ~ gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the power of the sacrificed creature. If you can't, tap ~ and you lose 1 life for each creature card in your graveyard.
0: Prevent all combat damage ~ would deal this turn. If 3 or more damage was prevented this way, put a 2/2 zombie creature token onto the battlefield for each creature card in your graveyard.
1/1

Restive Warmonger R
Creature - Human Barbarian R
All creatures you control attack each turn if able.
If ~ attacks alone, it gets -2/-1 until end of turn.
3/2

mystic1110
2017-09-05, 08:06 AM
Face of Nothing Itself C
Creature - Eldrazi R
Unless each opponent has a card in exile Face of Nothing Itself has -3/-3.
4/4

TurboGhast
2017-09-05, 07:50 PM
Lifeforce Elemental G
Type - Elemental R
Whenever you lose life, put that many -1/-1 counters on ~. (Damage causes loss of life)
3/4

1st->2nd: Power and toughness reduced from 5/5 to 3/4

Blue Ghost
2017-09-05, 07:56 PM
Lifeforce Elemental G
Type - Elemental R
Whenever you lose life, put that many -1/-1 counters on ~. (Damage causes loss of life)
5/5

(Considering reducing to 4/5 or 4/4, going to see if others think current iteration is OP first.)

If you play this on turn 1, and your opponent's not playing burn, it's going to remain a 5/5 for a rather long time. Even later in the game, it'll usually be a 5/5 for at least one combat and force the opponent to attack into it and lose a valuable creature to get rid of it, if they even can. It's a nice idea, but I don't know if it works at 1 mana for any size. Would be fine as a 3-mana 5/5, probably.

TurboGhast
2017-09-05, 09:44 PM
If you play this on turn 1, and your opponent's not playing burn, it's going to remain a 5/5 for a rather long time. Even later in the game, it'll usually be a 5/5 for at least one combat and force the opponent to attack into it and lose a valuable creature to get rid of it, if they even can. It's a nice idea, but I don't know if it works at 1 mana for any size. Would be fine as a 3-mana 5/5, probably.

Noted, I probably should have analyzed the card as an early drop more. Since the challenge specifies a one mana creature, I reduced the creature's stats instead.

somethingrandom
2017-09-08, 05:37 AM
Tiny Baby Monster G
Creature- Breast U
GG: Monstrosity 1. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put one +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes monstrous.)
1/1

ben-zayb
2017-09-08, 05:44 AM
Tiny Baby Monster G
Creature- Breast U
GG: Monstrosity 1. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put one +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes monstrous.)
1/1Yup, augmentation surgery is an interesting take on Monstrosity.

Mister Tom
2017-09-10, 06:02 PM
Was going to go for something that costs you life to untap or similar, but turns out there's already a vampire costing B that does exactly that. So

Garrulous Rabble R

Creature - Goblin U

Play with the the top card of your library revealed.

A veritable treasure trove of information, mostly unprintable.

2/1

Silent_Interim
2017-09-10, 06:24 PM
Was going to go for something that costs you life to untap or similar, but turns out there's already a vampire costing B that does exactly that. So

Talkative Rabble R

Creature - Goblin U

While ~ is on the battlefield play with the the top card of your library uncovered.

2/2

The text should just read "Play with the top card of your library revealed." For precedent on that- Garruk's Horde. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=429913)

mythmonster2
2017-09-11, 11:08 AM
I believe it's been a week since the challenge was issued.

Ninjaman
2017-09-11, 02:58 PM
Judging will be up tomorrow.

Ninjaman
2017-09-11, 11:27 PM
Flinching Braggart R
When there are attacking or blocking creatures, Flinching Braggart becomes a Goblin Coward and is 1/1
5/5
I don't see the point of this, it's just a 1/1 for one that in very specific cases might actually do something, but even then probably won't be big enough to actually matter.

Lazy Promulg G
Creature - Beast C
Trample
When Lazy Promulg enters the battlefield, tap target land you control. It doesn't untap during its controller's untap step for as long as you control Lazy Promulg.
It only leaves its home feeding ground for its daily rampage.
3/2
My biggest problem with this is that if you have an uncracked fetch you can just target that as you play this turn 2 and get it without a downside. Beside that I think the balance is fine, but it probably needs reworking to prevent that kind of shenanigans.

Wandering Warrioró R
Haste
1: Gain control of Wandering Warrior. Any player may activate this ability. You can't activate this ability during combat.
2/2
I think just changing the ability to work only during your turn would change this from a probably useless rules nightmare to a possibly useful easy to understand card. I would make that change.

Pale Knight B
Creature - Zombie Knight U
Dash 1BB
First Strike
At the beginning of each upkeep, target creature you control gets -2/-1, gains deathtouch, and can't block until end of turn.
3/2
First of all I think the inelegance of the design would make this a rare. Second, why does it need to specify that something can't block if it only works during your turn anyways? Third, I see what you were going for, but it seems complicated for what it actually does.

Disciple of Gaia-G

Creature-Elf Shaman-R

~ has +1/+1 for each Green mana in your mana pool.

1/1
Most of the time this will just be firebreathing, since the mana empties from the pool at the end of the step so the toughness pump only really gets around first strike and you'll rarely get to use the mana for something, although it's possible. There is also currently only two effects in magic that allows you to keep the mana through steps. All in all it's a nice idea, but the utility is too little for the complexity.

Blackblade Goon B/R
Creature - Goblin Mercenary (C)
Hire (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may pay 2 life. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
The Blackbladesí services never come cheap, but they always deliver.
1/1

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Multicolor/Blackblade%20Goon_zpshytwmyne.png
This lies pretty nicely on the powerlevel of Rakdos Cakler I think, although I doubt the utility of hire as a keyword it is a nice effective one drop.

Penthouse Custodian - W
Creature - Spirit C
Flying, Defender
Though the last in the line died decades ago, the butler of Belia Manor remains a hereditary position.
2/1
It gets to block one guy and then die I guess. It can trade with a lot of fliers but it's not really that interesting of a card, and having it as a common might just hurt flier strategies too much in limited.

It's a strictly better rogue elephant, but rogue elephant is terrible, so this is fine, probably not even going to see play still.

[QUOTE=tgva8889;22348837]Greedy Mercenaries B
Creature - Human Mercenary (U)
Sacrifice an artifact: Gain control of Greedy Mercenaries and untap it. If that artifact is not a token, Greedy Mercenaries gains haste until end of turn. Any player may activate this ability but only any time he or she could cast a sorcery.
2/3
The ability probably won't be important all that often, but it doesn't need to to be a serious downside in certain situations. I like that it has the only as a sorcery wording. I'm not a fan of differentiating between token and non token artifacts. I do like that it has the added option of sacrificing an artifact just to give it haste.

Spiritcaller of Frost - (R/G)

Creature - Human - Mythic

RG: Spiritcaller of Frost becomes a Human Warrior with base power and toughness 4/1.

RUUG: If Spiritcaller of Frost is a Warrior, it becomes a Human Elemental Warrior with Flying and base power and toughness 4/4.

RRUUGG: If Spiritcaller of Frost is an Elemental, put two +1/+1 counters on it and tap up to one target creature.

1/1
Compared to the other two the mana requirements are really color specific. I also don't like the RUUG mana cost of the second ability. Other than that I like the design, although I'm not sue why becoming a frost elemental grants him flying.

LastCenturion
2017-09-12, 01:13 AM
I think I was missed in judgement.

Beelzebub1111
2017-09-12, 06:46 AM
Flinching Braggart was supposed to be a card for the Johnny Players. Much like Norin the Wary, it doesn't seem useful at first, but with the right (https://magiccards.info/dgm/en/128b.html) supporting (https://magiccards.info/m15/en/133.html) card (https://magiccards.info/gtc/en/223.html), it can be useful.

Ninjaman
2017-09-12, 10:47 AM
Grenzo's Shocktrooper R
Haste
1/1
This is better than Goblin Guide. Another hasty 2/2 for two that was as strong as Goblin Guide would probably still be too good to be printed, since we wouldn't want decks playing 8 Goblin Guides, but this is better so definitely too strong.

Thraben Wayfinder -- W
Creature -- Human Scout -- Common
2/1
This is just a functional reprint of existing cards with slight subtype change, and an incorrect rarity change. Cards this aggressive shouldn't be common because that would mess up limited.

Restive Warmonger R
Creature - Human Barbarian R
All creatures you control attack each turn if able.
If ~ attacks alone, it gets -2/-1 until end of turn.
3/2
It's quite powerful, but having two very relevant downsides balances that out. I would like it better if it was a 1/1 that got pumped, but that is a minor nitpick.

Face of Nothing Itself C
Creature - Eldrazi R
Unless each opponent has a card in exile Face of Nothing Itself has -3/-3.
4/4
I really like the design, but I am a bit terrified of it as a 4/4 for 1.

Lifeforce Elemental G
Type - Elemental R
3/4
The thing I fear about this design is that it is going to be too swingy. Sometimes you play against an esper control deck which will have a hard time putting counters on it, sometimes you will play against burn which will only need to throw one lava spike in your face to make it a 0/1. The fact that it doesn't work with fetches and shocks ends up making it mostly unusable I think.

Tiny Baby Monster G
Creature- Breast U
1/1
It's a simple neat design. I think you could easily get away with making it a common though.

Garrulous Rabble R

Creature - Goblin U

Play with the the top card of your library revealed.

2/1
The creature type is super relevant, and the disadvantage is quite negligible, in fact with fetches it can sometimes be an upside, but as it is now okay for red to get one mana 2/1s with upsides that is okay.

Tgva8889 with Greedy Mercenaries

LastCenturion
2017-09-12, 12:59 PM
This is just a functional reprint of existing cards with slight subtype change, and an incorrect rarity change. Cards this aggressive shouldn't be common because that would mess up limited.

Well it certainly shouldn't be rare. I'd probably quit magic if something like this was a mythic. It's also kinda disappointing at uncommon; all it does is hit things. Even Slither Blade is better. I don't think it's as powerful as you're making it out to be; it might get an attack or two, but I think it's better as a cheap blocker that can trade up.

tgva8889
2017-09-12, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I think I got a bit too complicated with the token thing. I started making about sacrificing an artifact token (like Gold or Treasure) and then decided to just go a different direction, but for some reason I felt like I needed to keep the token reference. Overall I think it could have just given haste no matter what, so stealing them actually does something every time.

Let's do something simple. Challenge: Make a card with no more than one sentence of rules text. A sentence counts as a series of words which ends with a period. A stack of keyword abilities on a creature doesn't count as a sentence as usually there's no period at the end, so you can have some keyword abilities if you want. I will be counting as if your card was written in regular rules text, so try to make sure you template as close to correctly as possible.

Ninjaman
2017-09-13, 01:17 AM
Well it certainly shouldn't be rare. I'd probably quit magic if something like this was a mythic. It's also kinda disappointing at uncommon; all it does is hit things. Even Slither Blade is better. I don't think it's as powerful as you're making it out to be; it might get an attack or two, but I think it's better as a cheap blocker that can trade up.

No it shouldn't be rare, it hasn't been since 8th edition Savannah lion I think. It should be uncommon, like every other card like it that is the same. No slither blade is not better, slither blade is a lot worse because it takes twice as long to kill the opponent. If it is a common that means there will be people getting 5 of them in a 40 card draft deck, and can just make an insanely aggressive deck. That is not good for the draft format. And no it is not better as a blocker, it is good as a creature that deals damage to the opponent. If you play it turn one on the play your opponent likely won't have a blocker for it until turn 3, meaning if you are on the play that is 4 damage for 1 mana and you still have the creature. If you combine that with any combat trick or removal spell or tap effect or enchantment that becomes more. No it is not a good card, there are much better cards for doing the same job, but not at common.

Eternis
2017-09-13, 02:50 AM
Immortality 7WWW
Enchantment
You can't lose the game and your opponents can't win the game.

Sgt. Cookie
2017-09-13, 04:07 AM
Study the Frontier 1UG
Enchantment U
Whenever you sacrifice a Clue, target creature you control explores. (Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature, then put the card back on top or into your graveyard. Explore before drawing.)
"We must understand this land before we can exploit it for its own good."

Anyway, Explore is an Ixalan thing that is creature based, hence why it targets. Plus it triggers BEFORE the draw itself, triggered effects and all that. The reminder text reduces judge calls. Hopefully.

Edit: Since we're at page 49, we'll be needing a new thread soon. Might I suggest "Token genius" as the next thread name?

tgva8889
2017-09-13, 04:24 AM
It doesn't; Investigate is a keyword action, which means the sentence would be "1UU: Investigate." See Ongoing Investigation (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=409820). What I meant was that, if you notice on creatures, keyword abilities like Flying, Lifelink, etc. are all listed together but don't have a period at the end (See Akroma, Angel of Wrath (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=401629)). Effectively, the challenge is "make a card with only 1 period in its rules text."

Gauntlet
2017-09-13, 05:29 AM
Runo Stromkirk - 2UR
Legendary Creature - Vampire Wizard - Mythic

Flying, Prowess

Blue and/or Red Instant and Sorcery cards you own have Madness X(U/R), where X is that card's converted mana cost.

Madness 1UR

3/3

Sgt. Cookie
2017-09-13, 07:42 AM
It doesn't; Investigate is a keyword action, which means the sentence would be "1UU: Investigate." See Ongoing Investigation (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=409820). What I meant was that, if you notice on creatures, keyword abilities like Flying, Lifelink, etc. are all listed together but don't have a period at the end (See Akroma, Angel of Wrath (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=401629)). Effectively, the challenge is "make a card with only 1 period in its rules text."

Swing and a miss. Aright, I'll fix it.

mystic1110
2017-09-13, 08:34 AM
Enigma Tomb 3
Artifact - R
Whenever a creature is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you may instead put it into your library third from the top.
The whole "coming back on the third day" trick lost its mystique when everybody started copying it.

Bucky
2017-09-13, 12:37 PM
Boon Seeker 1(W/G)
Creature - Elf Scout C
Aura spells you cast that target Boon Seeker cost (2) less to cast.
2/2

ben-zayb
2017-09-13, 04:57 PM
Mark of the Grave 1BB
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature attacks, defending player creates a 1/1 black Spirit creature token with deathtouch and flying.
"Wherever it goes, death follows."

Ezeze
2017-09-13, 10:04 PM
Loyal Hound 3WW
Legendary Creature - Hound - Rare
If a spell or ability would destroy ~, deal damage to ~, or reduce ~'s toughness to zero, that spell or abilities' controller loses the game
2/2
"You don't mess with a man's dog."

LastCenturion
2017-09-13, 10:20 PM
Disarmament -- 2WWWW
Sorcery -- Mythic
If the total power among creatures you control is greater than an opponent's life total, and the total power among creatures that player controls is greater than your life total, the game is a draw.

mythmonster2
2017-09-13, 10:24 PM
Loyal Hound 3WW
If a spell or ability would cause Loyal Hound to die, that spell or abilities' controller loses the game.

Missing a P/T on here.

Eternis
2017-09-13, 11:58 PM
Loyal Hound 3WW
If a spell or ability would cause Loyal Hound to die, that spell or abilities' controller loses the game.

Uh... define "cause Loyal Hound to die", because that's pretty vague unless it's literally just "would destroy" :P

tgva8889
2017-09-14, 02:00 AM
Loyal Hound 3WW

It is weird that Doom Blade causes this effect to occur, but Lightning Bolt does not, but hey, it is novel.

Also, it should either have "instead" at the end, or say "when" instead of "if".

somethingrandom
2017-09-14, 06:47 AM
It is weird that Doom Blade causes this effect to occur, but Lightning Bolt does not, but hey, it is novel.

Also, it should either have "instead" at the end, or say "when" instead of "if".

Unless there is something I am missing whether or not a Lighting Bolt causes the effect to occur depends on how causes to die if clarified and what it power and toughness are.

One possible rewording would be "If a spell or ability would destroy ~, deal lethal damage to ~, or reduce ~'s toughness to zero, that spell or abilities' controller loses the game.

Ezeze
2017-09-14, 10:12 AM
Missing a P/T on here.
Oops! Fixed it.

Uh... define "cause Loyal Hound to die", because that's pretty vague unless it's literally just "would destroy" :P

"Die" is WotC defined in the same matter that "Sacrifice" or "Attack" are. It means "be sent to the graveyard." For example: Sad Robot (https://magiccards.info/query?q=Solemn+Simulacrum&v=card&s=cname) or Dying Wish (https://magiccards.info/query?q=dying+wish&v=card&s=cname)

As an interesting side note, this means that if you use Loyal Hound as your commander, someone kills it, and you opt to send it to your command zone the effect will not trigger. Magic, amirite? :smalltongue:

Lightning Bolt would cause the effect to occur if Loyal Hound was sent to the graveyard because of the damage done.

The omission of "instead" is deliberate. If "instead" were present it would make the ability a replacement effect. It is not that. The Hound still dies when the effect happens. This is an important distinction for multi-player games.

One possible rewording would be "If a spell or ability would destroy ~, deal lethal damage to ~, or reduce ~'s toughness to zero, that spell or abilities' controller loses the game.

"cause Loyal Hound to die" encompasses "destroy", "deal lethal damage to" and "reduce toughness to zero", when they wouldn't necessarily include one another. In this case changing the wording would alter the effect.

Edit: Oh! I misunderstood. You indicated that I should include all three.

The reword would be an option, but I don't believe that it's necessary. "Die" has official precedent.

I'd point out that this effect occurs due to spells or abilities, but not due to combat damage. It can die on the attack or the block without issue. That means the ultimate effect is to discourage board wipes and combat tricks.

I took some inspiration from Karmic Justice (https://magiccards.info/c15/en/72.html) and Justice (https://magiccards.info/5e/en/317.html)

Ezeze
2017-09-14, 11:19 AM
Disarmament -- 2WWWW
Sorcery -- Mythic
If the total power among creatures you control is greater than an opponent's life total, and the total power among creatures that player controls is greater than your life total, the game is a draw.

To keep wording consistent, it may be a good idea to change "player" to "opponent." This would alter the card, but it would be less janky if it was "target opponent."

"If the total power among creatures you control is greater than target opponent's life total, and the total power among creatures that opponent controls is greater than your life total, the game is a draw."

Alternatively, if you want to increase the jank.

"If the total power among creatures you control is greater than target opponent's life total, and the total power among creatures opponents control is greater than your life total, the game is a draw."

Misothene
2017-09-14, 11:30 AM
Lightning Bolt would cause the effect to occur if Loyal Hound was sent to the graveyard because of the damage done.

This is incorrect.

When a spell deals damage to a creature, that does not "cause the creature to die," all it does is mark damage on it. Then, the next time a player receives priority (right after the spell resolves, typically), state-based effects are checked, and all creatures with damage marked on them equal to or greater than their toughness are destroyed. It's the game rule destroying the creature, not the spell. This would be a similar situation with -X/-X effects.

Magic never uses the terminology "causes X to Y" because the outcome of a spell, other than its direct text, is very very hard to determine given all the abilities, triggers, etc. that exist. This is why Karmic Justice says "destroys" instead of this language- because it provides more clarity about when it happens.

Ezeze
2017-09-14, 12:40 PM
Good point, Misothene. You're right.

Changing wording to somethingrandom's suggestion, as this bypasses the word "cause" entirely.

Edit: Removed the word "lethal" from Somethingrandom's suggestion, since I realized it ends up running into the same problem, but I'm not thrilled with the final outcome because losing the game just for dealing damage to the creature doesn't match the flavor I was going for.

Putting more thought into this. Could probably use wording similar to Annihilating Fire (https://magiccards.info/rtr/en/85.html), but that would require more than one sentence :smalltongue: Card is a WIP.

Gauntlet
2017-09-14, 02:19 PM
You could just make it an x/1 and give it 'whenever this becomes the target of a spell or ability, or a noncombat source deals damage to [cardname], that spell, ability, or effect's controller loses the game.'

Ezeze
2017-09-14, 02:33 PM
You could just make it an x/1 and give it 'whenever this becomes the target of a spell or ability, or a noncombat source deals damage to [cardname], that spell, ability, or effect's controller loses the game.'

It's not a bad idea, but then you wouldn't be able to put auras or equipment on it :smallannoyed:

I could specify "whenever ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability that an opponent controls", but I also want to punish the creature's controller if they are so heartless as to hurt their own doggo

and either way we run into an issue where it won't dissuade a Wrath of God (https://magiccards.info/mpsakh/en/7.html) or similar.

I'm leaning towards giving up the ghost and saying "if a spell or ability would destroy ~, that spell or ability's controller loses the game" and just accept that burn spells and -1/-1 counters are a legitimate work-around. If I did that I'd probably do some combination of increase his p/t or decrease his mana cost.

I have another issue with the card, too, in that if you have a way to "flash" him in a la Quicksilver Amulet (https://magiccards.info/m12/en/214.html), Teferi (https://magiccards.info/fvl/en/13.html) or similar you can 'respond' to a Wrath of God by putting Loyal Hound on the stack. I don't really want him to work like that.

I am still unhappy with the design. Expect more changes.

mythmonster2
2017-09-14, 05:04 PM
Age of Discovery- 2GG
Enchantment (MR)
Vanishing 4
When the last time counter is removed from Age of Discovery, the player with the most lands wins the game.

Drat, can't think of a good way to make draws for equal numbers of land happen within one sentence

TurboGhast
2017-09-14, 06:12 PM
Fiery Shockwave XXR
Sorcery - U
~ deals X damage to up to X target creatures or players.

tgva8889
2017-09-14, 06:32 PM
The omission of "instead" is deliberate. If "instead" were present it would make the ability a replacement effect. It is not that. The Hound still dies when the effect happens. This is an important distinction for multi-player games.

In that case it should say "When" or "whenever" as to be a triggered ability. Right now it's a nothing ability that doesn't work in the game. Like, when do they lose? When the dog dies? When the ability "would cause" the thing to happen, thus meaning they lose on resolution of their spell/ability? This doesn't work as written; it either needs to be a trigger or a replacement effect.

Also, the point of this contest is to make you do something simple to parse. If it can't be done in one sentence, maybe save it for another contest. :smallsmile:

LastCenturion
2017-09-14, 07:23 PM
Age of Discovery- 2GG
Enchantment (MR)
Vanishing 4
When the last time counter is removed from Age of Discovery, the player with the most lands wins the game.

Drat, can't think of a good way to make draws for equal numbers of land happen within one sentence

There are a couple ways to do it:

1) Leave it as is. In this case, if equal numbers of lands are controlled, it does nothing.

2) "When the last time counter is removed from Age of Discovery, each player who does not control the most lands or is tied for the most lands loses the game." It turns Commander into a 1v1 with Hexmage, but it's kinda close. Again, it does nothing in 1v1 if equal numbers of lands are controlled.

3) "When the last time counter is removed from Age of Discovery, if no player controls the most lands, each player who does not control the most lands loses the game and the game is a draw; otherwise the player with the most lands wins the game." Which is complicated as all get out and skirts the edge of the challenge with a semicolon.

4) Something I haven't thought of yet.

Eternis
2017-09-14, 09:10 PM
Everything wrong that has been pointed out with the card
All this was my point when I was asking about "would cause ~ to die"; my emphasis was on (and only now do I realize that I should have emboldened it) would cause; a phrase that, while used, refers to specific events with specific counter-effects, as opposed to the incredibly general "die"; thus my follow-up about "destroy" effects.

somethingrandom
2017-09-15, 06:39 AM
Planer Exclusion WUBRG
Enchainment - R
Players can't cast Planswalker spells.
I will not have outsiders meddling with my plane.

braveheart
2017-09-15, 11:15 AM
Nature's Purge 1GG
Enchantment - R
All other enchantments and artifacts lose all abilities.

I believe this will destroy Auras, and leave constructs working as vanilla creatures, it also allows for enchantments to trigger other things

LastCenturion
2017-09-15, 01:47 PM
Nature's Purge 1GG
Enchantment - R
All other enchantments, and all artifacts lose all abilities.

I believe this will destroy Auras, and leave constructs working as vanilla creatures, it also allows for enchantments to trigger other things

1) The comma is unnecessary. "All other enchantments and artifacts lose all abilities" is a perfectly serviceable phrasing.

2) It won't destroy Auras. The auras are still attached to the relevant permanent, and the "sacrifice if attached to the wrong thing" is only relevant if there's an "enchant" ability, which isn't native to Auras; all Auras so far have an Enchant line, but that doesn't mean Enchant and Aura are the same thing.

Mister Tom
2017-09-15, 02:43 PM
Exclusivity 1U

Enchantment- Aura -U
Enchant creature

Creature spells sharing a creature type with enchanted creature cost an extra 2 to cast.

One at a time, please.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-09-15, 05:21 PM
Shrine Diviner - 1W
Creature - Human Cleric C
When Shrine Diviner enters the battlefield, create a colorless Shrine enchantment token. (It doesn't have any abilities.)
"We build it here."
"But sir! It's on the property of the Daimyo! On top of a snake den! Next to a cliff!"
"Of course it is. How else would I have known where to build it?"
2/2

Nate the Snake
2017-09-15, 06:14 PM
Lazotep Mummy 3WU
Creature - Zombie R
Other white Zombie creatures you control enter the battlefield with base power and toughness 4/4.
"Our servants must be as strong as the God-Pharaoh's."
4/4

Jormengand
2017-09-15, 07:16 PM
Cult Novitiate B
4B,T, Sacrifice Cult Novitiate: Create a 5/5 black horror enchantment creature token.
Without a strong control over your mind, you can quickly become what you sought to oppose.
2/1

ben-zayb
2017-09-16, 10:36 AM
Edit: Since we're at page 49, we'll be needing a new thread soon. Might I suggest "Token genius" as the next thread name?
I'm down with any thread title that is an Ixalan reference, like "Jurassic Plane", or "I claim this thread for Ixalan", or some literally or figuratively clever one.

Bucky
2017-09-16, 11:18 AM
We could repurpose this thread's round 16 challenge, "Mana rocks!"

OR we could go punny with something like "Avians with Vigilance".

Passive Pete
2017-09-17, 11:09 PM
Underworld's Requisition 1BB
Sorcery R
Rebound (If this spell was cast from your hand, instead of putting it into your graveyard as it resolves, exile it and, at the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost.)
Each player sacrifices a creature with the greatest power among creatures he or she controls.
Great warriors do not die when their strength fails them. They die when it is needed elsewhere.

Ninjaman
2017-09-18, 04:43 AM
Shared Amnesia - 3BB
Sorcery - R
Each player discards his or her hand.
A remarkably small amount of amnesia wizard students remember to show up for their final exams.

- - - Updated - - -

Idea for new thread name

You Make the Card VI: Create a 6/6 thread token

LastCenturion
2017-09-18, 05:02 PM
MtG - You Make the Card VI: Return of the vengeVIne

MtG - You Make the Card VI: Bird Your Bolt

MtG - You Make the Card VI: Warning: Contains Nuts

Beelzebub1111
2017-09-18, 05:19 PM
MtG - You Make the Card VI: RWU the funny things you do.

Gauntlet
2017-09-19, 05:00 AM
Personally I like MtG - You Make the Card VI: Mana Rocks!

tgva8889
2017-09-19, 08:10 PM
Grading will probably be done Thursday.

Ninjaman
2017-09-20, 03:28 AM
MtG - You Make the Card VI: This post enters the thread tapped.

MtG - You Make the Card VI: Post enter the thread with a signature counter on them.

MtG - You Make the Card VI: Posts you control gain hexproof.

tgva8889
2017-09-21, 09:45 PM
Immortality 7WWW
Enchantment
You can't lose the game and your opponents can't win the game.

I like that you went straight for something powerful and awesome. Frankly this card should really exist and I'm amazed it doesn't. Or at least some variant of this card. The problem I see (which is probably why they haven't made it) is that enchantments are kind of hard to interact with, so if you have this someone playing Red/Black can almost never ever win the game. But I love the splashiness here, I love how awesome this effect is and I'm glad to see it here.

You forgot a rarity; I assume this can't be anything less than Mythic.

Study the Frontier 1UG
Enchantment U
Whenever you sacrifice a Clue, target creature you control explores. (Reveal the top card of your library. Put that card into your hand if it's a land. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature, then put the card back on top or into your graveyard. Explore before drawing.)
"We must understand this land before we can exploit it for its own good."

I like that you brought two mechanics together which seem disparate but perhaps might work better than we thought. I also like the line of text "target creature explores," I hope we get to see that text on some cards before exploration leaves us. Obviously the biggest problem with this card is that it doesn't work by itself at all. I would probably have stuck with your original card and tried it in a different contest, as you've just got a card that doesn't do much here and I'm not really sure exactly how I'm using it since I have to have a bunch of clues and a bunch of creatures so I can draw into more lands or something? The flavor is spot on, though.

Runo Stromkirk - 2UR
Legendary Creature - Vampire Wizard - Mythic

Flying, Prowess

Blue and/or Red Instant and Sorcery cards you own have Madness X(U/R), where X is that card's converted mana cost.

Madness 1UR

3/3

I like that you didn't let the contest stop you from doing something rather complex and powerful. As it turns out, even though this card is really rather complicated, it reads very simply which I think makes it much easier to show how splashy and powerful the effect is. You're drawn to that one line of text which just brims with possibility. I'm not actually sure how to feel about this card; it certainly makes me think, and raises some interesting possibilities. I'm not sure how powerful this is card actually is, but it's exciting and I'd love to try it out.

I'm pretty sure you can just write "Blue or red instant and sorcery cards you own have...," based on the wording of cards like Flashfreeze (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=397775).

I'm not sure if this is an existing character, but if it is I've never heard of them. I assume this card is legendary mostly for flavor reasons or so you can make it a commander.

Enigma Tomb 3
Artifact - R
Whenever a creature is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you may instead put it into your library third from the top.
The whole "coming back on the third day" trick lost its mystique when everybody started copying it.

I like that you've done something very novel with a simple line of text. This card certainly feels strange, and I'm not sure exactly what I would do with it. There's power, but replacing a draw and having to wait a while to get a creature makes this card very hard to evaluate exactly. I think the worst part is that this card feels like it will be really fiddly to play with, since you'll basically have to have your top 3 cards of your deck separate from the rest of your deck at all times so you know exactly where to put all your creatures.

Also I think you could just use "dies" on this card.

Boon Seeker 1(W/G)
Creature - Elf Scout C
Aura spells you cast that target Boon Seeker cost (2) less to cast.
2/2

I like that this card works really well as a common. This obviously points to some aura theme and gives you a clear way to get some auras down fast. I'm not sure if this is too much of a mana discount for auras in Limited; I suppose it depends on the auras in question.

Mark of the Grave 1BB
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature attacks, defending player creates a 1/1 black Spirit creature token with deathtouch and flying.
"Wherever it goes, death follows."

I like that you made a very interesting aura by doing something a bit unusual and careful with the wording. The idea of turning the opponent's creature into a source of advantage for you is a really cool space for auras that can result in some really cool cards. I like the space that this card explores of making a creature not want to attack but not necessarily negating it completely. Pretty impressed by this one, I think.

Disarmament -- 2WWWW
Sorcery -- Mythic

I like that you didn't allow the contest restrictions to stop you from doing something a little complex. I think the problem with your card is that I just don't want to play it. For doing some work to arrange the board exactly how I want it, I get to...cause a draw? Really? I paid 6 mana for a draw? Why don't I just win instead? I get the flavor here, but the reward of "we draw" isn't really a great reward. I'd try to make your card more exciting, but I'm not sure how to do that without breaking the flavor.

Fiery Shockwave XXR
Sorcery - U
~ deals X damage to up to X target creatures or players.

I like that you tried to take something that's never been made at so low a rarity and pushed it down to that level. The splashiness here is awesome, but given how quickly this gets out of hand this is the sort of card I think would be really scary to put in a limited set. At 2R this is terrible, 4R this a pretty reasonable card, and at anything higher than that this card is utterly insane and probably says "you win the game" on it. But I'm also not sure how bad that is, since making you pay 7 for a big spell certainly seems right. The thing is, I'm not sure they'd ever print the 6R version of this (or anything that's just strictly better) at uncommon, which means I don't think this card can really ever be an uncommon. I'd be willing to try it out, though, and I'd be willing to be proven wrong.

Planer Exclusion WUBRG
Enchainment - R
Players can't cast Planswalker spells.
I will not have outsiders meddling with my plane.

I like that you found a simple ability that feels powerful and strong. This card does have a strong effect, though not always strong. I'm not sure this card really needs to exist, though; frankly, there's a lot of feel-bad to "you just can't play any of this card type." I think it's better to have cards with some play, rather than "I just completely and totally lock out a strategy trying to do Thing X," as it leads to counterplay rather than "you just can't play Planeswalker decks while this card exists."

I think just based on what this card depicts, I would make it a Mythic. The effect certainly feels mythic-level powerful, and I can tell you I would be completely furious if I opened this as my rare in Limited.

Also, I'm pretty sure Enchainments aren't a permanent type, and you meant the word "Planar". I assume that was a typo.

Nature's Purge 1GG
Enchantment - R
All other enchantments and artifacts lose all abilities.

While I may give this feedback a lot this round, I like that you just went for something straightforward and novel. "Oh, this hasn't been done before, let's do that!" That kind of thinking is great, and I'd pursue it in the future if it leads to cards like this.

All that said, I don't think they can print this card without a brick of reminder text, and then even I don't know that they would. This card has so many awkward rules implications that I'm pretty sure that they'd just never print it, because as it turns out losing all abilities results in some really weird stuff happening that I think Wizards would rather just avoid on a permanent effect. For example, I think you're wrong about auras; nothing in the rules says noncreature permanents can't be attached to other permanents, and none of the auras in play have an "Enchant" ability that would otherwise cause them to fall off if they were attached to the wrong thing, so I think they just stay attached and do nothing. Certainly equipment would do just that. But I'm not completely sure, so that's something that would have to get cleared up.

On a design level, I think this card is actually probably white, not green, as white is, at least most recently, the color that makes things lose all abilities. Maybe it could be blue, as blue has also done some of that recently, but blue only tends to do it when it's transforming things and even that has been said to be a stretch of the pie. I'd just stick this at 1WW rather than 1GG.

Exclusivity 1U

Enchantment- Aura -U
Enchant creature

Creature spells sharing a creature type with enchanted creature cost an extra 2 to cast.

One at a time, please.

I like that you tried to make a card that did exactly what you want. Please, in the future, put in the effort to make your cards read as proper Magic cards, especially when I explicitly state that you should take care to do so in the contest description. I am putting in effort to grade ideas and give feedback; please show me the same courtesy and don't make me translate your cards to do so.

Shrine Diviner - 1W
When Shrine Diviner enters the battlefield, create a colorless Shrine enchantment token. (It doesn't have any abilities.)
"We build it here."
"But sir! It's on the property of the Daimyo! On top of a snake den! Next to a cliff!"
"Of course it is. How else would I have known where to build it?"
2/2

I like that you've made a card that references an old mechanic and tries to bring it new life. There's something to be said for that. Unfortunately, this card just isn't particularly exciting. It's maybe interesting, but interesting doesn't mean good. Were you not competing with anyone else's card designs, I might look at this and think about it, but the fact is this card doesn't do anything and doesn't necessarily push a random player to do something. I can see what you're doing, but this is a kind of nothing way to do it.

Also I'd be super concerned about this card at common in Limited, given that the Hondens are all mostly completely insane once you have 2 of them. You don't want to play against any of the Hondens at 3, even if they don't have any others. The fact that this is a common is very concerning, as it means you better be supporting shrines at common, and I don't know what set this card is in but I don't know that that game play would even be fun.

Lazotep Mummy 3WU
Creature - Zombie R
Other white Zombie creatures you control enter the battlefield with base power and toughness 4/4.
"Our servants must be as strong as the God-Pharaoh's."
4/4

I like that you tried to make something interesting involving some of the recent mechanics. The problem is that this card doesn't work particularly well, by which I mean I have no idea how it works properly. I assume you meant for the creatures to enter as 4/4s and then be 4/4s forever, but my initial reading of this card was that they would enter as 4/4s and then, once they'd finished entering as 4/4s, stop being 4/4s? In any case, I think 1) making this blue is super weird, even though I can see it's intended to use with Embalm it just doesn't really make sense to me mechanically and 2) I think this ability needs reminder text, as it's not obvious by reading it what I'm supposed to be using it with. It's very sketchy to make an effect that permanently changes power and toughness of creatures without somehow marking that it's done so, as memory is a big issue in physical games. I appreciate that you tried to do something very novel and interesting with only a sentence of rules text, but I'm not sure this exact card would ever be made based on the issues I've described.

Cult Novitiate B
4B,T, Sacrifice Cult Novitiate: Create a 5/5 black horror enchantment creature token.
Without a strong control over your mind, you can quickly become what you sought to oppose.
2/1

I like that you stuck with a common creature and tried to make something that was interesting both at the beginning of the game and the later parts. My biggest problems with this card are that I think you pushed it a bit too far. A 2/1 for 1 that turns into a 5/5 on 5 mana is probably an uncommon, not a common. That's a bit too cheap for that. I think if it had a weaker body, like a 2/1 for 2, then it might be more reasonable to be common. I'm also not really sure why it makes an enchantment creature; there's not really any reason for it to do that since enchantment creatures are only known for being Lucent Limind and creatures of Nyx. Ignoring that random choice, overall I think that either the rarity isn't right or some part of this card should be a little weaker, but I like the simplicity and the flavor here. This is one successful cultist, in a way, since they summon a demon by themself. I guess less successful in that they die, but maybe that was their plan all along?

Underworld's Requisition 1BB
Sorcery R
Rebound (If this spell was cast from your hand, instead of putting it into your graveyard as it resolves, exile it and, at the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost.)
Each player sacrifices a creature with the greatest power among creatures he or she controls.
Great warriors do not die when their strength fails them. They die when it is needed elsewhere.

I like that you tried to expand the contest and made a rebound card, which I thought was pretty cool.
There's something to be gained from taking an element like Rebound and applying it to something simple. I think this card is a powerful, enticing removal spell. Probably too enticing; killing their strongest creatures for only 3 mana is really strong, and you know that you're only playing this when you're behind so you aren't losing a whole lot with it. I think this would be just as interesting without the "greatest power" rider, and given that, as far as we know, that's not a black-only ability, I'd be inclined to say this card maybe wants to cost more mana or be also white. Overall I liked the use of rebound here, though and I think this is a pretty solid design.

Shared Amnesia - 3BB
Sorcery - R
Each player discards his or her hand.
A remarkably small amount of amnesia wizard students remember to show up for their final exams.

I like that this card isn't trying to cheat to do more, it has a super-splashy text line that makes me think. I would improve the splash maybe by pushing this card a little, but overall I like what you've done here. It's simple, it's splashy, and it really sells itself well. Think more on the power of simple cards when you're making cards in the future; this one is actually a pretty strong hit for me.

Mark of the Grave by ben-zayb, for doing something simple that I was sure would see print and that tickled my fancy. There were a lot of good submissions this time, though. As it turns out, simplicity can lead you to some rather good designs.

LastCenturion
2017-09-21, 11:01 PM
I like that you didn't allow the contest restrictions to stop you from doing something a little complex. I think the problem with your card is that I just don't want to play it. For doing some work to arrange the board exactly how I want it, I get to...cause a draw? Really? I paid 6 mana for a draw? Why don't I just win instead? I get the flavor here, but the reward of "we draw" isn't really a great reward. I'd try to make your card more exciting, but I'm not sure how to do that without breaking the flavor.

My belief at the time of making the card (which has been changed since glancing through the Comprehensive Rules) was that if the game is a draw, both players lose the game simultaneously. It turns out that it's the other way around; if all players lose the game simultaneously, the game is a draw. My intention was to make it a win-condition with Platinum Angel effects, and a neat trick for Limited where you win game 1 and can side it in to hold on against a deck with better late-game than you. I was also really going for the "mutually assured destruction" feeling, so in retrospect both players losing the game makes much more sense.

Gauntlet
2017-09-22, 03:24 AM
I'm pretty sure you can just write "Blue or red instant and sorcery cards you own have...," based on the wording of cards like Flashfreeze.

I'm not sure if this is an existing character, but if it is I've never heard of them. I assume this card is legendary mostly for flavor reasons or so you can make it a commander.

The wording 'blue OR red instant AND sorcery' felt a bit wrong - like the spell could be blue or red, but had to be both an instant and a sorcery. The 'instant AND sorcery' part, though, already has precedent on other cards, so that part sort of has to stay, and I went for and/or as a way of making it clear what's going on without having that strange wording.

Runo Stromkirk (https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Runo_Stromkirk) is the progenitor of the Stromkirk line of vampires on Innistrad. I was really hoping he would get printed in Commander 2017, since we've seen the other progenitors now (Edgar Markov, Olivia Voldaren). He's into the cults and secret-delving side of things in the Innistrad storylines, and going by some of the Eldritch Moon flavor text, is likely to be involved in the Emrakul cults in some way.

tgva8889
2017-09-22, 03:52 AM
I found precedent for the and/or wording, so my bad on that one. It didn't affect how I felt about your card, in any case. Nor did my lack of knowledge about who you were referencing.

ben-zayb
2017-09-22, 10:43 AM
Oh, didn't expect that one! Thanks! Uhm...

OPEN FLOOR!

PS Shouldn't we also start the new thread now?

Mystic Muse
2017-09-22, 01:10 PM
Oh, didn't expect that one! Thanks! Uhm...

OPEN FLOOR!

PS Shouldn't we also start the new thread now?

Make Alternate goodguy versions of a villain.

I like praetors if my avvie didn't tip you off.:smalltongue:

mythmonster2
2017-09-22, 01:15 PM
Maybe make a new thread and all submissions to the new challenge can go there?

LaZodiac
2017-09-22, 02:01 PM
She's a friend of mine and currently at work. I have dealt with it.

NEW THREAD. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?537030-MtG-You-Make-The-Card-VI-Posts-you-control-gain-hexproof&p=22410337#post22410337)