PDA

View Full Version : Spells to used with spell immunity

Nostrodamus
2016-09-13, 10:19 PM
I'm playing a chosen of Mystra, wizard Gish abjurant champion. I'm looking for a list of spells level 1 through 9 to select as spells I'm immune to. They have to be able to be subject to SR. One spell I'm selecting is true seeing for 6th level. Common Giants give me some good ones!!!!
I'm already a planetar, via poly any object, so that may help to refine your list.

Deophaun
2016-09-13, 10:24 PM
True seeing doesn't target you, so being immune to it simply means that you would be unable to gain the benefits of it, not that no one under the influence of the spell would be able to see you for what you are. In short: terrible spell to be immune to. It's like being immune to restoration or remove curse.

Nostrodamus
2016-09-13, 10:36 PM
True seeing doesn't target you, so being immune to it simply means that you would be unable to gain the benefits of it, not that no one under the influence of the spell would be able to see you for what you are. In short: terrible spell to be immune to. It's like being immune to restoration or remove curse.
This is correct but I'm hoping to geta loophole here. My chosen immunity says I'm immune to spells and effects. If I have superior invisibility going, I'm hoping that I can tell my DM, "they see me because of that spells effect, but I'm immune to it.
It may not work but it's worth a shot.
Any other suggestions?

LTwerewolf
2016-09-13, 10:49 PM
No, it doesn't work that way. Effect is a defined term in the game that means an ability that does X. You're not immune to the result of someone else's buff.

Deophaun
2016-09-13, 10:50 PM
Blasphemy or holy word are good things to be immune to, as are any other spells that are just "you lose," like fleshshiver. Otherwise, the SR requirement makes it pretty situational.

Edit: Of course, I'm now wondering if blasphemy is valid, because it doesn't target you... need to look up the PrC.

OK, works exactly like spell immunity. So, those two are good to go. However, true seeing absolutely will not:

The warded creature effectively has unbeatable spell resistance regarding the specified spell or spells.
Which, since the person looking at you never has to roll against your spell resistance, means you immunity doesn't affect him in the least. If you want to beat true seeing, you need to be a gnome illusionist like everyone else.

Jowgen
2016-09-14, 01:06 AM
Wish. When push comes to shove, no high level caster/monster is all that above getting creative with trying to murder you with one. The beauty/dysfunction is, as written, the SR applies regardless of what sort of use the Wish is going for.

Lest I am missing something, I am also surprised no one's mentioned the Dispel line of spells yet.

Deophaun
2016-09-14, 09:22 AM
Lest I am missing something, I am also surprised no one's mentioned the Dispel line of spells yet.
Dispel is SR:No, which is half the reason it works on golems.

Nostrodamus
2016-09-14, 09:51 PM
No, it doesn't work that way. Effect is a defined term in the game that means an ability that does X. You're not immune to the result of someone else's buff.

I can live with this, and with that being said I won't even try to get it past my DM. I would still like some suggestions. Please keep them coming because the suggestions help me to sprout more ideas. Thanks!

Malroth
2016-09-15, 01:02 AM
I can live with this, and with that being said I won't even try to get it past my DM. I would still like some suggestions. Please keep them coming because the suggestions help me to sprout more ideas. Thanks!

Permanent Invisible spell:Obscuring Mist is an ok True seeing counter if you have a different way of seeing through fog.