PDA

View Full Version : Any Fine sized creatures for Shapechange?

Goladar
2016-09-14, 10:28 AM
Is there anthing fine I can Shapechange into that will still allow me to cast spells?

Bronk
2016-09-14, 10:54 AM
A single shimmerling? (MM3)

Inevitability
2016-09-14, 11:16 AM
Silithars are fine but can assume a humanoid form, so maybe those fit the bill?

Goladar
2016-09-14, 11:20 AM
Are the stats listed for an individual creature or the swarm as a group?

Bronk
2016-09-14, 02:35 PM
The stats for both of those are for the swarm as a whole.

It shouldn't be a big deal for you though, since shapechange keeps your mental stats and HP, and since you just want a very small form for spellcasting, you can try talking to your DM about having a low strength, high dex character that won't enter combat.

I had suggested the shimmerlings because they're wee humanoids, so you should be able to do whatever speaking and hand gestures your character needs to do to cast.

Goladar
2016-09-14, 03:56 PM
Ok. My DM is pretty cool so I'm sure we'll be able to work something out. Thanks!

Âmesang
2016-09-14, 06:09 PM
Nobody ever suspects the butterfly…

Goladar
2016-09-14, 06:58 PM
Nobody ever suspects the butterfly…

Is there a Natural Spell feat for wizards?

Necroticplague
2016-09-14, 07:08 PM
Is there a Natural Spell feat for wizards?

Yeah. Silent spell, Still spell, and Eschew Materials. Or Surrogate Spellcasting, under somewhat liberal interpretations of how prerequisites work.

Darrin
2016-09-14, 07:41 PM
Only fine-sized creature I can find that isn't in a swarm... puppeteer in the XPH. However, it's described as "possessing no discernible anatomy or sensory organs", so that's going to make spellcasting problematic. You might be able to fix that with Surrogate Spellcasting (Savage Species).

There's also the sparrow form in OA. Fine-sized, and while there's no hands or speech immediately, it's a bit easier to sell Surrogate Spellcasting. Pearl of Speech can fix verbal at least.

Inevitability
2016-09-14, 11:49 PM
Yeah. Silent spell, Still spell, and Eschew Materials. Or Surrogate Spellcasting, under somewhat liberal interpretations of how prerequisites work.

Also Innate Spell (horrible feat, but decent if you have the prerequisites anyway), and Archmage's ability to turn spells into SLA's, and a Dweomerkeeper's ability to turn them into SU's.

Goladar
2016-09-15, 06:36 AM
Also Innate Spell (horrible feat, but decent if you have the prerequisites anyway), an Archmage's ability to turn spells into SLA's, and a Dweomerkeeper's ability to turn them into SU's.

I don't know. The PGtF version looks interesting.

Inevitability
2016-09-15, 07:05 AM
I don't know. The PGtF version looks interesting.

Except Complete Arcane is more recent. Even with neither source being more important than the other, CA supersedes PGtF because it was released a few months later.

Goladar
2016-09-15, 08:11 AM
Except Complete Arcane is more recent. Even with neither source being more important than the other, CA supersedes PGtF because it was released a few months later.

Thankfully, my DM doesn't rule that way. Although I'm not going to go on a side quest just to rebuild my character so I can take that feat.