PDA

View Full Version : Another New ranger question

Elite Hatter
2016-09-14, 12:36 PM
Horde Breaker + Whilwind Attack.

If say you were surrounded by 3 enimies, could you in theory (and practice) hit all 3 Twice using these 2 features?

And beyond that, 3 times if you multiclassed into Battle master and took the Cleave Ability?

Making 9 attacks total, 3 per enemy. Of course this can scale up to being completely surrounded and having 8 enemies, but at that point your probably dead w/o party help. Bounded accuracy and all that.

Wondermndjr
2016-09-14, 01:19 PM
Horde breaker triggers only once per turn.
Cleave function of GWM (which is what I assume you are referring to) is a bonus action.
So, you get 2 extra attacks with those features.

Elite Hatter
2016-09-14, 01:47 PM
Horde breaker triggers only once per turn.
Cleave function of GWM (which is what I assume you are referring to) is a bonus action.
So, you get 2 extra attacks with those features.

Horde Breaker makes me sad, and I meant sweeping attack maneuver, but that's just a Superiority Die of dmg

Joe the Rat
2016-09-14, 02:01 PM
Horde Breaker makes me sad, and I meant sweeping attack maneuver, but that's just a Superiority Die of dmg
"Sweep the Whirlwind" is a good mix - an extra d8 of damage for everyone (and an extra hit or two if you have HB/GWM)!

Now here's a question. Can you apply a maneuver to each of the attacks you make with whirlwind? You see where I'm going with this...

Wondermndjr
2016-09-14, 04:20 PM
Can you apply a maneuver to each of the attacks you make with whirlwind? You see where I'm going with this...

I would say yes, definitely. The new Whirlwind Attack text specifies that you make multiple attacks, so you could, theoretically, expend a die for Sweeping Attack for each attack. It probably wouldn't be a good idea, considering you expend 3 or more dice each time.

On the other hand, what if you use Volley? This still retains the old wording of "one attack, multiple rolls." RAI it's probably the same, but under certain RAW interpretations it could allow for multi-Precision Attack, for instance.