PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How powerful would be to give this as a mount to a Lore Bard Healer/Supporter?

DragonSorcererX
2016-09-14, 01:35 PM
I have a reduced group (2 pcs only), and I homebrewed this for the Lore Bard healer/supporter who will get Find Steed at 6th level (Additional Magical Secrets), it fits the Background of the character (she is a Half-Elf and I gave her a feat at level 1, so she has Magic Initiate - Sorcerer and this power comes from her Fey Inheritance), how powerful would it be (she has only d8 ray of frost as her highest damage)? (DON'T EVEN TRY TO CONVINCE ME TO DON'T GIVE THIS TO THE PC, YOU WOULD BE WASTING YOUR KEYBOARD TINT!)

I picked the Griffon and gave it the relevant languages and the Winter Wolf Traits, Cold Breath and Intelligence Score:
http://i.imgur.com/AsueEhu.png

Maxilian
2016-09-14, 02:22 PM
Well... i think that's way too powerful, i mean... its something they are getting at lvl 6, that have its own movement (80 fly speed) (If the player let it move by itself so another creature in their party basically doing damage), with extra attack and the Cold Breath.
Note: Think of it in this way, they are getting

-A free Fly spell (with way more speed)
-2 extra attacks
-A Breath attack

So... You gave them a Haste and Fly (Extra actions and extra movement) with a Breath, and it does have a decent HP (so they are not really running into the problem of maybe losing their mount while flying -Before she does lose it, she is going to be KO)

My recommendation...

Treat it as a normal Gryphon without its flying speed (First its way too young, or maybe injured to fly as she advance with it, it will recover and will be able to fly, then she may train it in combat (and let it gain extra attack) or after they reach their maturity (they get the Breath attack), this way, she will have all you wanted to give it at the start, but she will "earn" it and it feels good when you can "improve" you and your pets

EvilAnagram
2016-09-14, 02:27 PM
Maxi is right. This is a massive power boost. In general, you probably should never give a PC a mount that could regularly beat them in single combat.

MrStabby
2016-09-14, 03:16 PM
(DON'T EVEN TRY TO CONVINCE ME TO DON'T GIVE THIS TO THE PC, YOU WOULD BE WASTING YOUR KEYBOARD TINT!)

I wont try to convince you not to do this... but I will comment that giving a non concentration fly spell which also does additional damage to enemies and can act independently is something that would be foolish not to take. It is... good.

DragonSorcererX
2016-09-14, 03:39 PM
Well... i think that's way too powerful, i mean... its something they are getting at lvl 6, that have its own movement (80 fly speed) (If the player let it move by itself so another creature in their party basically doing damage), with extra attack and the Cold Breath.
Note: Think of it in this way, they are getting

-A free Fly spell (with way more speed)
-2 extra attacks
-A Breath attack

So... You gave them a Haste and Fly (Extra actions and extra movement) with a Breath, and it does have a decent HP (so they are not really running into the problem of maybe losing their mount while flying -Before she does lose it, she is going to be KO)

My recommendation...

Treat it as a normal Gryphon without its flying speed (First its way too young, or maybe injured to fly as she advance with it, it will recover and will be able to fly, then she may train it in combat (and let it gain extra attack) or after they reach their maturity (they get the Breath attack), this way, she will have all you wanted to give it at the start, but she will "earn" it and it feels good when you can "improve" you and your pets

It is a Lore Bard Healer and a Dex Eldritch Knight, and the Lore Bard will keep concentrating on Aura of Vitality and use her Bonus Action to heal with Aura of Vitality and the standard action to heal or debuff the enemies with Frostbite/Vicious Mockery, also, I want this Griffon to be their Fast Travel, no Random Encounter and Travelling Bullsh*t, also, I want the pcs to be as powerful as Shounen characters, and when I want to put some stupidly powerful enemies, I want this thing to take a big chunk of its HP before dying and let the pcs finish it while almost dying.

Maxi is right. This is a massive power boost. In general, you probably should never give a PC a mount that could regularly beat them in single combat.

This thing would never kill the 6th level Eldritch Knight even if it is alone, using my house rules the EK would have 84 HP + Second Wind + Healing Surges Optional Rule + 6 Spell Points (3 Shield uses if nescessary).

EvilAnagram
2016-09-14, 04:02 PM
This thing would never kill the 6th level Eldritch Knight even if it is alone, using my house rules the EK would have 84 HP + Second Wind + Healing Surges Optional Rule + 6 Spell Points (3 Shield uses if nescessary).

Oh, sorry. I was under the impression that you were playing 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons. Apparently, you are playing a game that , despite superficial resemblance, is in fact entirely separate from 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons. In this case, my advice has no bearing.

DragonSorcererX
2016-09-14, 08:29 PM
All right, you guys convinced me (I don't know how...), so I made something not as powerful but much more cool than the Winter Griffon, I will save the Griffon for later, like level 10 ~ 12:

It is basically a horse that freezes everything it touches, and he uses this to climb walls (he freezes the surface around his hooves and when he moves the ice breaks, to walk on walls he keeps freezing and breaking the ice) and walk on water:

http://i.imgur.com/piqPexL.png

Maxilian
2016-09-15, 09:20 AM
It is a Lore Bard Healer and a Dex Eldritch Knight, and the Lore Bard will keep concentrating on Aura of Vitality and use her Bonus Action to heal with Aura of Vitality and the standard action to heal or debuff the enemies with Frostbite/Vicious Mockery, also, I want this Griffon to be their Fast Travel, no Random Encounter and Travelling Bullsh*t, also, I want the pcs to be as powerful as Shounen characters, and when I want to put some stupidly powerful enemies, I want this thing to take a big chunk of its HP before dying and let the pcs finish it while almost dying.

2 things, never assume your players will do ONLY this with the things you give them. (Sometimes they will do way less, other times they will do way more)

Also... the Random Encounter its... like... your option, they donīt have to find any enemies in ground, but may find a lot of enemies in the skies (Roc mating season! so many Rocs are flying around changing zones and looking for a mate), so... yeah the Random Encounter is not a problem, i do agree that Travelling may become troublesome (depending on the campaign) but any normal mount can help with that.

Note: They are multiple ways to make then feel "Heroic", iīm pretty sure there is something in the DMG about Heroics campaigns.

Maxilian
2016-09-15, 09:23 AM
All right, you guys convinced me (I don't know how...), so I made something not as powerful but much more cool than the Winter Griffon, I will save the Griffon for later, like level 10 ~ 12:

It is basically a horse that freezes everything it touches, and he uses this to climb walls (he freezes the surface around his hooves and when he moves the ice breaks, to walk on walls he keeps freezing and breaking the ice) and walk on water:

http://i.imgur.com/piqPexL.png

My only comment is...

Your party will never be able to hide ever again together.

Orc1: I think i head something!
Orc2: Maybe it have to do with whatever left those ice patches in the floor
Orc1: Oh the trail leads to those bushes
Orc2: PUT IT ON FIRE!

EvilAnagram
2016-09-15, 09:37 AM
It gives the Bard a solid mount with a cool, magical feel to it.

Also, at some point someone will sing "Do You Want to Build a Snowman."

DragonSorcererX
2016-09-15, 07:56 PM
Note: They are multiple ways to make then feel "Heroic", iīm pretty sure there is something in the DMG about Heroics campaigns.

I use ALL of those rules of the DMG who increase the power of the pcs, because the more powerful they are the more powerful is the stuff I can throw at them.

2 things, never assume your players will do ONLY this with the things you give them. (Sometimes they will do way less, other times they will do way more)

The Lore Bard is mine, she is a DMPC to don't let my only pc die.

Also... the Random Encounter its... like... your option, they donīt have to find any enemies in ground, but may find a lot of enemies in the skies (Roc mating season! so many Rocs are flying around changing zones and looking for a mate), so... yeah the Random Encounter is not a problem, i do agree that Travelling may become troublesome (depending on the campaign) but any normal mount can help with that.

I will not skip the Random Encounters and the Travelling most of times, but "Random Encounters" is the part that I hate most on video games, I think I am little traumatized, and "Travelling" remembers me of those two sh*tty hobbits/halflings who have tainted the halfling race, the only halfling worth of mention is BELKAR BITTERLEAF!

Arelai
2016-09-16, 03:18 AM
You lost me and everyone else at "DMPC"...

MrStabby
2016-09-16, 03:21 AM
Yeah, well trolled.

Contrast
2016-09-16, 05:35 AM

...have you considered giving the actual player nice things rather than your DMPC so that he doesn't feel trivialised (which is I assume the reason you were playing a support character in the first place)?

It sounded like you wanted extra bodies to allow you to throw harder enemies at the PC - have you considered just giving him followers (PC level - 2 if you want to maintain the 'main character' feel) or something of the like which will act under his control in combats?

It also sounds like you're homebrewing a certain amount which is already going to throw off power levels making it very difficult for us to comment precisely. As a side note, have you considered if you want to fight harder opponents you simply could have started at a higher level?

Re the random encounters thing... it really does sound like you're shooting yourself in the foot here. If random encounters are something you don't enjoy then...don't include them? This isn't a computer game - you don't have to do the bits that you and your group do not enjoy. To be honest they often don't make much sense anyway (This well travelled merchant road has roving gnolls, dryad groves and wandering ogres on it? Why haven't the local authorities sorted this out by now!? Why are these random animals attacking us rather than fleeing at the sight of us?). Just make sure you balance the difficulty out with extra 'meaningful' encounters and it'll be fine.

Willie the Duck
2016-09-16, 07:40 AM
I use ALL of those rules of the DMG who increase the power of the pcs, because the more powerful they are the more powerful is the stuff I can throw at them.

I will not skip the Random Encounters and the Travelling most of times, but "Random Encounters" is the part that I hate most on video games, I think I am little traumatized, and "Travelling" remembers me of those two sh*tty hobbits/halflings who have tainted the halfling race, the only halfling worth of mention is BELKAR BITTERLEAF!

So this is just a vanity project and wish fulfillment. In that case, go right on ahead. Grant them elder dragons as mounts and +12 greatswords too. And their silver dragon mounts can also be their girlfriends.

Maxilian
2016-09-16, 08:55 AM

Well... DMPC are not well seen, but... MY RECOMMENDATION, don't give yourself that mount, unless the rest of the party already have a mount, why? cause you're the DM, so its seens unfair that you get all the things first (i mean... you have whole control of the game)

You're the DM, you can just not use them when you think it makes no sense, or when you don't think it should have, also... why does travelling remember you of the hobbits duo? in the end, is not like they are special for travelling (in the end, that's what your PC will spend most of their time doing)

DragonSorcererX
2016-09-16, 10:26 AM
Well... DMPC are not well seen, but... MY RECOMMENDATION, don't give yourself that mount, unless the rest of the party already have a mount, why? cause you're the DM, so its seens unfair that you get all the things first (i mean... you have whole control of the game)

You're the DM, you can just not use them when you think it makes no sense, or when you don't think it should have, also... why does travelling remember you of the hobbits duo? in the end, is not like they are special for travelling (in the end, that's what your PC will spend most of their time doing)

I control and Roleplay the Lore Bard, but she is basically the Skyrim follower, also, if you think that I am giving cool stuff to the NPC, I have much more cool stuff planned to the PC like a Mithral Full Plate +1/+2/+3, the bonus depends on when he gets it, Force Damage Sun Blade, Literal Magical Shield (is made of pure magic, like a small portable force field) and much more, my PC will end the Campaing as a Fighter/Mage Iron Man.

MrStabby
2016-09-16, 11:10 AM
To be honest, I am not quite sure I understand what the point of this thread is. You ask how powerful it would be but deprive us of the context - both what is needed in the campaign (i.e. you want to throw very powerful monsters at the party) and also what the other party members would have.

Maybe you could give an example of what helpful input might look like and we can try and make sure are answers are in that style.

Maxilian
2016-09-16, 04:02 PM
I control and Roleplay the Lore Bard, but she is basically the Skyrim follower, also, if you think that I am giving cool stuff to the NPC, I have much more cool stuff planned to the PC like a Mithral Full Plate +1/+2/+3, the bonus depends on when he gets it, Force Damage Sun Blade, Literal Magical Shield (is made of pure magic, like a small portable force field) and much more, my PC will end the Campaing as a Fighter/Mage Iron Man.

Yeah, i understand that you will get then cool stuff, but make sure they get it first... just so they don't think ever for a second that you're exploiting your power as a DM.

Note: A personal thing i have as a DM and a player, a +X item is not cool, its just useful.

DragonSorcererX
2016-09-16, 04:18 PM
Note: A personal thing i have as a DM and a player, a +X item is not cool, its just useful.

It is your description and flavor that makes it cool, and lots of magical neon!