PDA

View Full Version : Legend of the Five Rings: A matter of honor (IC)

Lady Tialait
2016-09-14, 02:37 PM
A Matter of Honor
Chapter One:
Act One

The year is 1201, a year has passed under the watchful eye of the Emperor Iweko II, and the clans are all in upheaval. Many whispers have flown throughout the lands that a Clan war may erupt in opposition to the Son of Heaven's own commands. The fortunes and spirits seem to disapprove of this, as lands dry and crops have been poor throughout this year. Many of the Heimin have starved due to this, suffering is great.

This is however, not apparent to those at the Lucky Koku as the smell of deep fried Tofu, grilled fish, and perfumed servants peppers the air around the establishment. A rumble of patrons enjoying Sake and stories brings the overall feeling to one of joy, even outside the establishment, green fields can be seen along the banks of a steady river flowing into the horizon. The waters of the River golden red reflecting the setting sun. The Imperial city to the north standing as a monument to the greatness of the Empire.

Inside the Lucky Koku several serving girls deliver Sake and food to those who have ordered it, always with pleasant manner. Three men sit around a table tossing dice onto the table playing a game of Fortunes and Winds, laughter and grumbles coming from them with the flow of the games. A trope of traveling performers sit across the main room of the inn playing instruments trying to invite a patron adding to the noise of the establishment. A short fat balding innkeeper counts some zenni on a flat desk licking his lips with greed. As anyone enters the establishment sending a serving woman to them to ask them if they want anything. Sitting behind him are three shrines, the first is of a man who looks much like him, most likely an ancestor. The second to Ebisu, and the third to Jurojin.

Longes
2016-09-14, 02:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/STeFiP4.jpg
Isawa Tetsuo, Ishiken

The day was great. Even though Tetsuo had to walk all day to get here, the weather was pleasant and the reward at the end was worth it. He got to meet Shin after years of separation! It was nice to know that the old bear is still as healthy as always and that he wasn't shanked by bandits on some forgotten road in the middle of nowhere. So tonight Tetsuo was relaxing. The sake was good and the pleasant buzz of inebriation was almost at a level where Tetsuo considered getting up and becoming acquainted with the other visitors of the inn. He looked around, trying to get a feeling for the other patrons.

Shmee
2016-09-14, 04:38 PM
The door to the inn opens, a rather plump well dressed man walks in. In one hand he is carrying a fan, and the other one holding a small lap dog. Shizuo was not pleased, for he had hoped to have reached the Imperial City before nightfall. "It can't be helped..." he sighs. After all, he had successfully managed to acquire some merchandise, and he knew too well that if he drove his goods too hard, it might become damaged. He looks outside the open door and nods his head in approval, as two young women and one young man obediently walk in.

Finding his merchandise an empty table he motions them to sit using his fan. As soon as a serving woman attends to him he instructs her "Bring each water. And three portions of what ever is cheapest, and nothing else for them." he turns around to the three and gives them a nod. "Come Nao-Chan..." he says to his miniature dog as Shizuo goes off to find a table for himself. He would not be eating with these commoners. He was feeding them, and as far as he was concerned, he owed them nothing else.

Steel Mirror
2016-09-14, 11:47 PM
Shiba Makoto

Makoto was listening to whichever samurai was currently telling a tale of her exploits, banging the table at moments when he approved of her tall tales, laughing when she related some humorous moment between her and her supposed comrades in arms, and calling out with good-natured cries along with the rest of the listening patrons whenever she said something that strained credulity enough that it was funnier to call her out on it than go along with it. It was a shockingly un-Shiba like display, especially considering that his glass was full of water, not sake, but he'd found a passion for this sort of pass-time in his travels.

He was even known to tell a few himself. When she came to the end of her story, he joined with the rest of the gathered crowd (a crowd of only a half dozen or so men and women, but they were loud and boisterous enough for thrice that number) in throwing a few zenni in to buy her next round, and banged on his table in appreciation for her tale.

Then, before any of the other men could get started, he rose to his feet and held up his hands, waiting until the raucous group quieted down a few notches and he had their attention. "So, there I was," he began, "stranded alone with the daimyo's injured nephew in the middle of Shinomen Mori. Our nezumi guide had proven to be as treacherous as my master had feared, and now he as well as the restless spirits of the naga themselves were hunting us through the woods..."

Shimmer
2016-09-15, 12:29 AM
In the back of the inn at a shadowed table sat a small figure their straw hat pulled low over their brow to obstruct their features from prying eyes as they ate their meal. With deft fingers they drew bite after quiet bite of sushi to their mouth with their chopsticks, occasionally pausing to pass a tidbit or two to the young golden eagle that sat perched quietly on the pack at their feet. The sushi was nowhere near the the standards of freshness set by the Mantis clan, but the popularity of it with the Imperial capital kept the fish in good supply and high-quality and even Rakki had to admit that the meal was worth abandoning the sanctuary of the woods for at least a time. Albeit she paid the cost for the meal in not only zenni, but with her hearing as well as she winced at yet another loud outburst from the crowd a few tables over from her. It truly was amazing how quickly civilization could make her miss the quiet of the woods and for one vain moment she watched on as it looked as though the little groups storytelling might wrap up. Then yet another boisterous idiot clamored to the front with deeds to tell and she felt herself settle in to weather the noise.

That is until he began his story and pausing with a piece of eel half way to her lips Rakki blinked in surprise. She KNEW that story! Wait a second! She KNEW that boisterous idiot! Finishing her meal she looked a little more closely at the Samurai speaking as a slow grin began to spread across her lips as her suspicion was confirmed. It was none other then Shiba Makoto, the young Inquisitor in training she had met during the very tale he was telling when he, his mentor, and what had apparently been the Daimyo's nephew had become lost within the Shinomen Mori. Standing quietly she slipped a few tables closer, settling in to listen and waiting for her part in the story. She wondered what the Phoenix Samurai would say about her or would be forget her entirely? Either way she looked forward to calling out any grandiose embellishment of the tale with a well contained glee. Oh how she did so love to ruffle Makoto's feathers.

Steel Mirror
2016-09-15, 01:21 AM
Shiba Makoto

"I fell to the earth, blood spewing from the gash in my forehead, ten dead nezumi stacked behind, thirteen ahead, and more trampled, forgotten, beneath my feet. Yet still, the traitorous rat that had claimed to be our guide yet stood, the last of its warren, and with hatred in its beady eyes it swung the daimyo's very own lost family wakizashi to claim my head!" The listening crowd gasped appreciatively.

"Then, with a whistle, an arrow streaked from the woods and knocked the blade straight from the loathsome beast's hands! Another instant and I'd have perished, but with supernal accuracy and the timing of the kami themselves, that arrow had saved this poor bushi so that he might die on another battlefield for yet greater glory. But who was my mysterious savior?"

"Surely some convenient spirit of shoddy plot and unbelievable tall tales!" cried one of the Unicorn men present, in good fun but also clearly doubting Makoto's words. The others laughed along with him.

"Nay, though the true answer might be even harder to believe. My friends, it was a vision from yume-do itself, a beautiful creature of the woods. At first in my awe I thought her surely a being of spirits, but with another blink of my one good eye, I could see that she was none other than a daughter of Tsuruchi, with hair the color of autumn rice and a face as lovely as the rising moon."

The snorts of dismissal and cries of laughter rose, and Makoto could feel the flow of storytelling moving away from him. "No, it is true! A samurai who walked through the woods as though born to them, whose aim was as true as her heart!" But he could that everyone was dismissing this last story as one claim too far...

ChronicLunacy
2016-09-15, 01:38 AM
http://i64.tinypic.com/2uivhtt.jpg Hida Ryuzou

Upstairs, there was a heavy thud. Then another. Dust shook from the rafters as something massive moved around. Some were beginning to wonder why the inkeeper was moving his furniture when a giant of a man walked slowly, methodically down the stairs and into the main room, drawn by the smell of food. He straightened, feeling better than he had in days, and removed the bandage from his arm revealing nothing but freshly healed, newly pink scars where it looked like something had clawed or bitten him. They stood out against his otherwise tanned and weathered skin, but did not carry the angry red of infection that they'd had when he'd been brought in and the local healer had seen to him. In fact, this was the first time he'd been downstairs since his arrival.

The man was nearly as broad as he was tall, with legs and arms the size of small trees. Atop his thick neck sat a squarish skull with a lantern jaw, short black hair and a beard, and surprisingly gentle eyes. He used one shovel-like hand to smooth his hair back and took a breath through his nose, composing himself. Then, moving as lightly as such a large and heavy person could reasonably be expected to, he went over to a free table and sat down, taking one whole side and about three normal place settings.

As large as he was though, it was obvious that it was mostly muscle. The fat that could be seen served the same purpose as it might on a large bear, providing a bit of extra protective padding without sacrificing speed. His hands were rough and calloused and his body was built more like a laborer's than a samurai, though the clean, blue robe he wore with a prominent Crab Clan symbol argued differently.

Longes
2016-09-15, 01:51 AM
Isawa Tetsuo, Ishiken

Ohoho! He knew that voice! He knew that face! Tetsuo got up.
"BRRRRRRROTHER! It's been too long! DUEL ME!"
Picking up his sword Tetsuo went over to Makoto with a wide smile on his face.

Shimmer
2016-09-15, 01:59 AM
For a moment Rakki paused her cheeks darkened with a hot blush at Makoto's claims as she sought to wrangle her emotions under control once more. It wouldn't due to look touched by his words, though she decidedly was. Yet she couldn't help, but wonder how much of what he spoke of was his own thoughts and how much of it was merely to add to the story. He'd certainly never claimed her to being anything, but an uncanny 'Mantis' when they had first met. Though the two had grown a bit closer over time and come to view each other with respect and a sort of playful companionship.

Deciding not to leave her one time companion to flounder she carefully schooled her features, keeping her head low as she slid into one of the seats across from him that had been vacated by a departing Samurai.

"Please~" Her voice rang out soft, but clear as it cut through the cacophony of good-natured naysayers surrounding the Phoenix Samurai as slowly all eyes turned towards the newcomer. "Tell me more about this daughter of Tsuruchi with hair the color of autumn rice and a face as lovely as the moon with an aim as true as her heart." The female Samurai murmured, her face shadowed by her straw hat revealing only the slowly growing smile that spread across her lips soon forming into a wide toothy grin as she lifted her head.

"It is not often that I hear myself described as such Shiba Makoto." Rakki spoke as she slowly drew aside her hat, settling it lightly on the table to reveal the beaming face of the woman he spoke of. Her hair was indeed the rich gold color of autumn rice where curled in a long tail from where she kept it pulled back away from her eyes with a leather tie. Whether her face was like the moon could be contested though her skin was indeed fair and scattered with freckled spots. Yet it was the eyes, glittering like golden suns as she beamed at her old companion that were the most arresting.

"It is good to see you once more my friend. I am glad you have yet to find a battlefield of greater glory to die upon that we are able to meet once more." She chuckled, her greeting warm and teasing, yet earnest in it's joy. That is until suddenly she found herself blinking at a more then a little exuberant request for a duel shouted at said friend and the added presence of what she could only mental describe as a 'living mountain' of a Crab Samurai coming down the stairs.

Shmee
2016-09-15, 02:46 AM
As Shizuo is looking for a free table, he notices a lumbering mountain of muscle making its way down the stairs. Oddly enough this man looked familiar. It is then that he notices the Crab Clan symbol that the man is wearing, and finally it clicks within his mind. Snapping his fan open as to partially cover his face, Shizuo cautiously approaches the large man, yet stops at a respectable distance. "Has the Kaiu Wall become too small for Hida Ryuzou-san, that he now stands guard all the way from the Imperial City?" he says with a grin. Snapping his fan shut with a loud 'clack', Shizuo reveals his face to Ryuzou "It has been quite a while hasn't it?"

Steel Mirror
2016-09-15, 10:22 AM
Shiba Makoto

Makoto winced as he heard the overbearing voice of his brother in law ring out across the room-then widened his eyes in surprise, followed rapidly by embarrassment, when he realized that no, his mind wasn't playing tricks on him, that was actually Tsuruchi Rakki sitting there.

This must be punishment from the spirits, he thought. It's the only explanation. Okay, so maybe he hadn't technically slain the thirty or so nezumi that he claimed. Maybe there had been a few . . . liberties with his story. Everyone did it! You just didn't expect one of them to be sitting there, smiling at you. And that didn't even get into his brother in law.

"As you can see, the very vision that greeted me that fateful day in the forest!" he said, trying to recover. "The beautiful Tsuruchi Rakki san, who is even more lovely than I remember. And then...well there is much more to that story, the spirits of Shinomen weren't quite done with us yet, but that is a story from another night!" He bowed, then hurriedly stepped away from the center of the storytellers' corner and put his drink down next to Rakki's. He ignored the hubbub that followed his hurried departure, and a few curious stares lingered on him and his new associates as he went.

"Well I certainly did not expect to see you so far from the forests, Tusuruchi san." Makoto bowed, though he didn't bother to keep his rather chagrined smile from his face. "You have the kami's own sense of timing and a gift for making an entrance, as always. Please excuse me for a moment though, there is another thing which I must attend to briefly."

Makoto turned, then bowed in a formal, dignified greeting to the man streaking across the bar to greet him, Isawa Tetsuo. A shugenja, so Makoto's training had deeply ingrained in him a natural deference to the man, even though Tetsuo did not act much like a Phoenix shugenja was expected to. "Brother," Makoto said in greeting, with a pained twinge of embarrassment in his voice. "How fortuitous to meet you here. But as I keep telling you, an eating contest is not actually a duel, no matter how many times you insist that it is. It's just not a thing."

Longes
2016-09-15, 11:22 AM
Isawa Tetsuo, Phoenix clan speed eating silver medalist 1197

"Ha. I wouldn't have expected you to disparage the only competition in which you've beaten me and yet here we are. Humility is a virtue, I suppose."
Continuing the banter, Tetsuo sat next to them and studied the Mantis.
"And the fabled Tsuruchi Rakki! Our dear Makoto tells so many stories about you that it's getting hard to tell which are true. But at least I can confidently say that his visual descriptions were an understatement."
Tetsuo took a moment to order more drinks for the company.
"But tell me friends, what brings you here?"

Alber
2016-09-15, 03:51 PM
Through the front door of the inn walks, rather ungracefully, a man gressed in flowing golden robes. A tall, silk cap sits atop his head, partially collapsed on one side and sitting at an angle on his head. He stumbles forward, sake on his breath; he's clearly been drinking heavily before having set foot in the inn. He passes by the active dice table uncomfortably closely on his way to the innkeeper, interrupting him as he asks if there's anything he needs. He slams down a bottle onto the counter, "Fill this up, and bring me a bucket and a washcloth." He pauses for a moment, then corrects himself. "Well, don't give me the bucket and washcloth, just...have somebody on standby."

Just as he's turning to leave, he quickly turns back, "Oh, and also bring me out some edamame, followed by...eh, something fried, I don't care what. Then a rice bowl after that. I'm hungry enough to pull an Onnatangu and eat a rock if I have to." He backs away from the counter, standing very close to the table playing Fortunes and Winds once again, looking over the shoulder of one of the players for a moment, before his eye is caught by by the bright colors of fellow samurai. He surveys them, two crab...nothing unusual there but...wait, what's this? "Is that...is that two Phoenix and a Mantis!?" He shouts loudly over the commotion of the inn. "Ha! Two Phoenix and a Mantis? No way that's going to end well." He laughs loudly at his own non-joke, as he wobbles a bit while waiting on his sake bottle.

Shimmer
2016-09-15, 08:02 PM
"Well even I may be lured out by the prospect of excellent sushi." She teased lightly eyes glittering with amusement at Mokoto's predicament. "Besides what sort of mysterious savior would I be if I left you to the mercy of such a fearsome group such as this!" Rakki joked lightly flashing a smile over her shoulder at the group of Samurai they had stepped away from that was now slowly beginning to disperse with a few chuckles and well-meaning grins. Yet as he excused himself even she couldn't help the light laugh at the look of awkward embarrassment upon his features at encountering a challenge from one of his kinsmen. Trailing after Makoto at a slight distance she came to take a seat between him and Tetsuo smiling politely at the Shugenja's outburts.

"Really he speaks of me often?" She asked with a slight tilt of her head and a blush. "As to why I'm here? Well I have often heard of the glory of the Imperial city and I thought I might come see it for myself on my journey." Rakki began only to pause wincing at the loud outburst not far behind them.

Turning she couldn't help, but arch a brow at the latest inn-patron a Lion from the look of him. "A Tsuruchi to be correct and everyone knows it is unwise to kick a wasp nest." She spoke offering the rather sloshed newcomer a sly smile.

Alber
2016-09-15, 08:22 PM
The Ikoma laughs heartily at Rakki's comment, adopting a more proper standing position than the drunken gait he previously had, though still wobbling a bit. "I hear what you say, but the stings of a whole nest of wasps are still no match for a Lion's thick hide. Mind you, I've never witnessed a wasp with such a glorious golden mane."

Shimmer
2016-09-15, 09:09 PM
At his straightening Rakki eyes him with a bit more attention noting his stance and build with the glance of a seasoned hunter though her smile never fades. "Thank you. I take after my Father's side of the family." She spoke tossing him a bright grin that showed off gleaming white teeth sharper then they should be as she rose for a moment to collect her pack from the other table and Hosho alongside it. Though the young eagle was hardly disturbed more then content to nap with his head beneath his wing for the moment as his mistress returned with him to the Phoenix bushi.

"As for lions their hides may indeed be thick and strong, and manes long and fierce, but even they have soft paws and eyes be which they see. However, I'm sure you know this well already." She teased casting a bright smile to her companions. "Of course such can be said of anyone as we are all, but humble mortals."

Steel Mirror
2016-09-16, 01:23 AM
Shiba Makoto

Makoto knew, in samurai society, there were protocols to be followed. Even in such an informal setting as this one, an ill considered word could be enough reason for someone to take offense, and when a samurai or shugenja took offense the results could spiral out of control rapidly. That's why etiquette formed the foundation of training of any well-bred member of the samurai caste, and why the Empire's most venerated and powerful families (at least as he reckoned them) were also its more cultured and polite.

So it was with some surprise that he realized, in that moment, the only person in the teahouse who wasn't paining Makoto with some sort of comment or laughing look was the hulking Crab bushi sitting quietly at the next table.

He spoke to Tetsuo. "What? No, I don't talk about her that much." He looked over at Rakki, mortified. "I don't talk about you that much. I mean, it's a great story, I tell the story sometimes. Not excessively..."

He managed to stop himself from visibly reacting when the loud Lion made his comment, though he did feel like sighing. Of course, somebody else had something to add. If he were forced to admit it, he had no love for the Mantis clan as a whole, but that didn't mean his misgivings had to apply to everyone within it. Rakki had actually been a large part of making him realize that, not that he was about to say anything to that effect after already having embarrassed himself tonight. Besides, even if he had little love for the Mantis, he felt much the same way about most Lion, if it came to it.

He observed the verbal exchange playing out between Rakki and this unknown Lion, then nodded his head in agreement. "Take it from me, friend, this Wasp has a sting that could reach even a Phoenix in flight. It would be wise not to take it lightly."

Lady Tialait
2016-09-16, 10:55 PM
While the banter continues between the samurai, the same cannot be said about the men playing dice at the table. Argument begins to erupt. "You cheat! I saw that!" at that moment all three men stood up from their spot, one of them grabbing the table throwing it at the man across from him. It flies across the room scattering dice and sake cups half full, along with rice. Time seems to slow for a moment as the sake and rice rains down throughout the room. Everyone at least has a few grains in their hair and the room suddenly stinks of sake. The table flies up and hits Ikoma right in the center of his back.

Alber roll Str, failure means you fall down.

The men are greatly enraged at each other, either that or simply looking for a fight. Almost immediately they pull their blades, each holding a Parangu ready to kill each other.

Everyone Roll initiative.

Shmee
2016-09-18, 05:46 PM
Shizuo gives a frustrated sigh "And here I thought I had walked into a respectable establishment..." he mutters as he puts his fan away and unsheathes his Wakizashi. He doesn't really care if oafish commoners are willing to slit each other's throats, but he will defend himself if threatened... or if it seems his merchandise is in risk of being damaged. "Perhaps if I throw some money at them?" he wonders, as he considers whether it would be worth it to exercise his right of Kiri-sute gomen, as some grains of rice had fallen upon him.

Shimmer
2016-09-19, 03:56 AM
Turning her gaze from their pleasant banter to the currently ongoing feud Rakki frowned. Only for her frown to turn into a scowl as she lifted her arm trying to shield herself from the worst of the rice, but had little success. Instead she was left with the little grains sticking to her clothes and hair and a deep seated disgust at the wasting of food. Especially when there were so many going without due to the lack of rain. Rising to her feet she drew her Yumi from it's scabbard hanging at her side and in one smooth motion strung it before glancing at the stairs that lead to the upper level the Crab bushi had descended from. Quietly she calculated the obstacles in her way and how quickly she could reach the artificial high ground before she turned back to the fight at hand. She had no doubt that Makoto would close for her if need be, slowing the thugs to allow her to support him with her bow should the fight embroil them. Secure in this knowledge she narrowed her gaze and could restrain her ire no more.

"If you two must duel take it outside. You've caused enough damage and wasted enough food as it is." Rakki spoke, her tone firm and commanding as she drew herself up to her full height baring her gleaming white incisors in a predatory scowl. A quiet primal warning that though she barely stood at five and one that she was not a Samurai to be messed with.

Alber
2016-09-19, 03:55 PM
Hiroya stumbles for a moment, almost being thrown to the floor by the force of a table smashing across his back. Being no stranger to bar brawls, his body reacts before his mind has quite caught up with it. Whipping around, he extends his left hand, leading with it as he turns. However, just as the hand makes contact with the body of the thug directly behind him, he quickly retracts the hand and, continuing with the momentum of the spin, extends his right leg out, making contact with the thugs body as high up as he can manage. He regains his balance, and only then surveys the scene in front of him.

Noticing only now that the men have weapons drawn, his hand instinctively rests on his wakizashi, as he shouts, "Drop them! Fight like men!"

Steel Mirror
2016-09-24, 10:05 PM
Makoto frowned as the table flipped and the food rained down across him and his companions, and like everyone else at the table he was on his feet in an instant. When he realized the source of the disturbance, he frowned deeper.

Were these peasants mad? The building was full of samurai. Any of them, including Makoto himself, might need no more excuse than this to cut them down for the insult. And while Makoto was glad that nobody had swung with a blade yet (the peasant weapons hardly counted), it might not be long before blood was spilled, and once that happened the lives of every peasant involved in the confrontation would likely be forfeit. Makoto wanted to stop that, if at all possible.

He quickly moved to stand next to the gruff Ikoma, hand also resting on his wakizashi in a pose reflecting the Lion's confident stance. Makoto was thankful that the man hadn't resorted to deadly violence yet- mildly surprising, given his lineage. For now he would take whatever fortune he could get.

"My friends, listen to Ikoma san. If there is a dispute, let it be settled by the magistrate, or by the truth-telling of my brother Isawa standing behind me. But if any of you foolishly spill a drop of blood in this place, you will be shedding gallons of your own as well." He hoped that the men would choose sanity instead of foolish anger, but you could never tell with peasants, and Makoto also knew that he wasn't exactly the most convincing or intimidating person in the Empire.

On the other hand, hopefully a wall of angry men with swords would be persuasive enough to make up for that.

Lady Tialait
2016-09-24, 10:23 PM
The men didn't seem to hear the pleas of Makoto, well, most of them. The one who had been smacked on the back of the head by the Lion felt it firmly, and was paying attention. He turned around seeing the room full of samurai. He fell to his knees pleading for forgiveness for the insult. His two companions didn't seem to notice however, looking quite aggressively to Ikoma Hiroya.

ChronicLunacy
2016-09-24, 10:52 PM
Hida Ryuzou

A vein on the massive Crab samurai's temple began to throb and he looked up from the his rice-strewn table at the clueless combatants. With a surprising amount of grace for someone his size, he rose to his feet and approached the two peasants from the side. He dwarfed them, towering over the squabble like a particularly irritated mountain. He didn't say anything, he didn't draw his wakizashi. He just glared down at them and made this...rumbling noise deep in his throat like thunder echoing over the Seikitsu Mountains.

Lady Tialait
2016-09-26, 04:29 AM
While the pleas of Makoto fell on deaf ears, the rumbling of the massive crab were not so easily ignored. The two men suddenly realized what they were getting themselves into, the pair fell to their knees and planted their faces down upon the ground, "Please, forgive us."

Outside the sound of a trio of horses arriving is punctuated with the doorway being darkened by a short balding man with a top knot wearing a purple elegant robe. As he stepped into the room, two men step out behind him, a man in pale blue robes, and the other with red robes and a mask upon his face. The man in purple speaks up, "What happened to bring such a mess to the Lucky Koku? I was here for a calm evening."

Longes
2016-09-26, 01:23 PM
Isawa Tetsuo, slowpoke

Tetsuo gave his best smile and spoke in defense of the ruffians.
"Mess, mister? I don't know what you are talking about. Just our good friend here", Tetsuo waved at Ryuzou, "showing us how to recreate Crab-style, so things got a little loud. Nothing wrong with that."

Shmee
2016-09-26, 04:06 PM
"You give my honorable friend too little credit." says Shizuo to Tetsuo as he walks by Ryuzou, sheathing his Wakizashi and picking up his fan. "What he actually did is keep the patrons of the Lucky Koku safe with but a glance. Mere child's play for one who guards us all from what lies beyond the Kaiu Wall." opening his fan Shizuo flicks some of the rice away. Looking at the short balding man Shizuo says "I had also hoped to spend a quiet evening in a reputable establishment. Sadly I was sorely disappointed. Perhaps I should have a word with the innkeeper."

Shimmer
2016-09-26, 08:38 PM
"Though our good friend speaks true on the virtues of our Crab friend I do not feel that the rowdiness of his patrons is any fault of the Innkeeps. I am sure he would have moved to take care of the situation and was only outdone by the esteemed reflexes of myself and my fellow Samurai in attending to the matter." Rakki spoke hoping to smooth aside any trouble for the poor Innkeep before the troubles caused by other men could fall upon his head.

"After all how could one expect a man versed in the art of hospitality to compete with the battle hardened instincts of Bushi." She added true to her Mantis nature as she cast the man in question a smile. Slowly she lowered her yumi, carefully unstringing it as she slid it back into it's sheath.

Lady Tialait
2016-09-27, 04:20 AM
The man in purple nods, and shrugs. "I am not unfamiliar with such things happening. I am after all, a Samurai of the Unicorn Clan. The manners of our great families have long been known to be strange." He walks over to the three men kneeling his two companions following behind closely. "I would expect this was some argument over a game you were playing? Disgraceful. Citizens who live so close to the Son of Heaven should always keep themselves at least a semblance of decorum." He looks over to the man in light blue, "My good friend, please escort these men to my home. After they are interrogated, I will find the proper charges against them, and dole out the justice needed." He then looks to the collection of samurai, the man in blue escorting the men out of the Inn. "I did not expect that I would find exactly what I needed so quickly." He reaches down and picks up the table righting it. "I am Ide Jim, Magistrate of the Unicorn Clan homed in Toshi Rambo." He gestures to the man in red, "This is my Yojimbo and good friend Bayushi Ninten, and the gentleman who left is known as Kakita Shyru." He bows shallowly, "Please, take a seat with me, all five of you. I believe proper introductions are in order, at least on your side." He takes a seat around the table.

Steel Mirror
2016-09-27, 09:42 AM
Makoto bowed to the magistrate and his companions before taking the seat. "I am Shiba Makoto, yojimbo for the Phoenix clan. I am on a simple journey visiting holy places in the central Empire following the conclusion of my most recent duties for my family. It is an honor to meet you, Ide-sama."

Alber
2016-09-27, 02:22 PM
The atmosphere of the inn had changed from casual, to violent, to formal far too quickly for Hiroya's mind, still gently swimming in sake, to process, so he took a moment to shut up and assess the situation. A magistrate...alright, but no emerald pin, so he didn't have jurisdiction over anyone not in his own clan. Were those men Unicorns? He...might have seen some purple when he kicked that one in the head, but wasn't sure. Possibly he's working under an Emerald Magistrate? Probably best just not to think of it.

He bows before the magistrate as he passes, and then kneels before the table at his behest. Best not to get on the bad side of any magistrate, Emerald or no. "I am Ikoma Hiroya." He introduced himself, simply. Normally he would make a big showing of his daimyo parentage, but in this case he thought it best not to broadcast any potential blackmail opportunity to one of higher status. "Exactly, what is is you said you needed to find?"

Shmee
2016-09-27, 03:05 PM
Shizuo snaps his fan open, covering his face as he watches Ide Jim carefully, weighing every single word he spoke. It was obvious that this Unicorn Magistrate required a service from him and the other four Samurai mentioned, and perhaps it was true that unlike other Samurai Shizuo lacked their prowess when it came to combat, but in this arena, Shizuo had the nose of a hound when it comes to sniffing out potential customers, and now a customer wished his services. Snapping the fan shut, Shizuo bows before taking a seat "Yasuki Shizuo, of Clan Crab at your service." he says sitting at a respectable distance from the Unicorn "Now then, I would not dare to impose on your valuable time. You have... a secure package and we have the ability to deliver it. If you may excuse my curiosity to ask, what is so important that Ide-Dono would require the service of five Samurai to deliver?" he says getting to the point.

ChronicLunacy
2016-09-27, 03:27 PM
Hida Ryuzou

The massive Crab bushi watched the two trouble makers in stone-faced silence as they made their way out. Then he composed himself and sat calmly when indicated by Ide, crowding one side of the new table. He waited for a few introductions before he said anything. "Hida Ryuzou, also of the Crab Clan. Doozo yoroshiku." he rumbled, his voice like boulders grinding together matching his appearance, though now that the trouble was over he seemed a tad more relaxed. The vein on his forehead had stopped standing out at least. He subtly nodded to Shizuo, who had greeted him before the commotion, and then motioned for the innkeeper to bring tea, though he suspected that was already on its way.

Longes
2016-09-27, 06:26 PM
Isawa Tetsuo

Tetsuo sat down next to Makoto.
"Isawa Tetsuo of the Phoenix clan."

Lady Tialait
2016-09-28, 05:25 PM
Ide Jim doesn't skip a beat nodding to Shizou, "I do need something delivered. However, I require the services of six samurai to do it." He gestures to Rakki, "The counting technique of the Carp seems to be greatly exaggerated." He says without a twitch of emotion on his face. "The request is a simple one, I have a box that needs to be delivered to the southern most reaches of the Crane Lands. I should say, I do not have the box. My Daimyo Ide Tobuko has the box, so fetching it from Shiro Ide would be part of the assignment. I ask this request on behalf of both myself and Daidoji Akeha. A great honor to be sure." tea and sake arrive once again, along with replacements for food that was soiled. Ide Jim takes a sip of tea while he waits for a response.

Alber
2016-09-28, 05:40 PM
"So, if I have this correct." The Lion says, after taking a swig from his bottle, "You are requesting for a group of samurai from different clans to put aside any personal activities they might have been otherwise engaged, as well as any potential grievances they might have with one another, to travel into a land wracked with civil war to collect a box and then, without knowing it's contents, to transport it clear to the other end of the empire?" He pauses as he takes another long drink from his bottle before continuing.

"Well that sounds like a story. I'm sure I speak for everyone in this room when I say we will gladly take on this task!"

Longes
2016-09-28, 05:49 PM
"Don't be ridiculous, Ikoma. We are not some homeless ronin, we are busy people with lives and responsibilities. Running across the country for no clear reason is hardly desirable."
Tetsuo made an emphasis on "no clear reason", strongly indicating the part missing from Jim's request. Magistrate or not, he had no authority to boss them around nor should he be insulting with this "great honor" mockery.

Shmee
2016-09-28, 06:08 PM
Shizuo nods at Ide Jim, acknowledging his error stoically "Although it would be an honor to serve both you and Daidoji Akeha, you should also understand Ide Jim-Dono that I am also honor-bound by oath to serve my Daimyo Yasuki Tono and Rokugan by earning money for the upkeep of the Kaiu Wall." he says as he point to the young man and the two girls he had brought with him "Hence why I have been gathering servants to work in the Geisha House that I have have established in Toshi Rambo. Now if Ide Jim-Dono wishes for my service to take me to such a far away place such as Shiro Ide, then not only would my business suffer in my absence, but I would also not be able to meet my quota to Yasuki Tono, to my great dishonor and shame." he says shaking his head sadly "So understanding the predicament that I find myself in, perhaps you may alleviate the burden set upon me by demonstrating the great generosity of the Unicorn Clan? A generous donation towards the upkeep of the Kaiu Wall and supporting the brave men and woman who keep us all safe, not only would you set my mind at ease thus allowing me to focus on the task which you wish to bestow upon me, but both Ide Jim-Dono and Rokugan would profit."

Alber
2016-09-28, 07:08 PM
"And what great duty are you so very busy with, Isawa-san, that you cannot spare the time to assist an honored magistrate of a clan at war with itself? A war that, I'm sure I needn't remind you, the great pacifists of the Phoenix had a hand in starting?"

Lady Tialait
2016-09-28, 07:22 PM
Ide Jim who had been very much stone-faced couldn't help but crack a smile at Ikoma Hiroya's comment. He turned to Shizou, "We must all do what we can to assist with the security of the Empire, the Son of Heaven would have it no other way. I will gladly assist my good friends any way I can." He gives a glance over to Tetsuo, "All of us must help each other as our needs require. Wouldn't you agree?"

Longes
2016-09-28, 08:13 PM
Tetsuo's hand fell on the hilt of his sword and he glared at the Ikoma.
"Watch your tongue jester, least someone cuts it off."

"Compassion is indeed a tenet of bushido, mr. Ide, but so is duty. This isn't a day-long trip you are asking for - travelling all the way across takes time and money."

Shmee
2016-09-29, 12:36 AM
Shizuo slightly nods his head at Ide Jim, satisfied that both had come to a mutual agreement. If he wasn't holding his lapdog he'd be wringing his hands in satisfaction that he has acquired a good deal "You have lifted a great burden from me and thus I shall honor Ide Jim-Dono's commitment to safeguarding Rokugan by offering my service as requested." The Yasuki's ears seem to twitch when Tetsuo mentions money. "It is true that traveling will not be free, therefore if you wish, I could also offer you my services to negotiate with Ide Jim-Dono on your behalf about your fees. Then when your purse is near bursting, perhaps I can demonstrate just how exaggerated the Way of the Carp really is." he says cracking a smile behind his fan. "This offer also applies to the rest of you, if you so wish." he says nodding to the others.

Lady Tialait
2016-09-29, 02:49 AM
Ide Jim is noticeably taken aback by the statements around him, "I'm afraid I am not accustomed to so much talk of the blessings of the fortunes Daikoku. I also did not expect Duty to be put before Compassion by one of the Phoenix, I wouldn't expect that." Ide Jim smiles at Bayushi Ninten, "A great victory for your family I would think."

Longes
2016-09-29, 03:58 AM
Isawa Tetsuo, shugenja
"Not all needs, mr. Ide, are equaly worthy of Compassion. You yourself will hardly drop everything and run into Shadowlands to save a lonely puppy, even if it is a compassionate thing to do."

Tetsuo chuckled in response to the merchant's words. "Why, that would be just wonderful, Yasuki. And in exchange for your masterful expertise I can offer a worthy price. On this expedition mr. Ide wishes to hire us for, whenever some raging ruffian or barbaric bandit stabs you - I will tend to your wounds in a way only a shugenja can, completely free of extra charge."

Alber
2016-09-29, 08:30 AM
Although his Lion pride raged, Ikoma Hiroya nonetheless decided to simply endure the direct threat and insult to his person, responding only with a shallow nod of his head. After all, he was no Matsu, though he suspected this supposed Isawa might have some of the hot-tempered blood of that family running through his veins.

He balked at the blatant discussion of commerce around him, particularly from a shugenja, and, noticing Ide Jim's discomfort with the situation as well, decided to interject. "So, it sounds as if a satisfactory agreement has been reached between the four of us, at least, but I'd like to know what the others think of all this."

Steel Mirror
2016-09-29, 09:26 PM
Shiba Makoto

Makoto remained impassive during the conversation, at least in expression. His right hand tensed slightly when talk turned toward certain less-than-respectful mentions of the Phoenix clan, and of Tetsuo in particular. When Tetsuo got his final say in without apparent negative ramifications, Makoto's sword hand slowly relaxed.

He finally spoke up in reply to the Ikoma's statement. "I think that a magistrate, even one of the Unicorn clan far away from his family's pastures, should surely have more direct options to find messengers than to head to the local inn and rely on the fortunes to furnish a suitable number of honorable samurai with no outstanding demands on their time. The fact that you found this group, here, perhaps vindicates your approach, Ide-sama, but I still find myself curious. What about this task, or about the circumstances of yourself and Daidoji Akeha, drove you to seek such...unorthodox aid, rather than appeal to magistrates or couriers within your own household?"

Lady Tialait
2016-09-29, 10:02 PM
Ide Jim nods at Makoto. "It does seem odd, does it not? Following what fortunes I could, bringing myself the correct number of Samurai who are not currently under orders. Given that we are so close to Toshi Rambo, the likelihood of finding such a group with the haste I imply seems foolishness to attempt." He reaches down to his wakasashi flicking the hilt to remove a scroll, then flipping it back into place. He unrolls the scroll and with a sense of self-satisfaction starts to read it. "Hida Ryuzou, Crab Bushi, a man with great power and potential. Hida Ryuzou's current assignment; None. Hida Ryuzou is waiting for orders regarding his piece of the wall. Isawa Tetsuo, Phoenix Shugenja, a young Ishiken-Do. Isawa Tetsuo's current assignment; Getting Settled in Toshi Rambo. Yasuki Shizuo, Crab Courtier, current assignment; collect by any means 5 Koku a month. Shiba Makoto, Phoenix Bushi, current assignment; none. Shiba Makoto is to improve himself till a Shugenja can be assigned to him. Ikoma Hiroya, Lion Courtier, current assignment; bring honor upon himself and his family. Tsuruchi Rakki, Mantis Bushi, current assignment; none, Tsuruchi Rakki works primarily as mercenary." Ide Jim rolls the scroll back up and places it in front of him keeping his hand placed on it. "This collection was no mistake or lucky happening. I have had each of you tracked for the last month, guiding you slightly towards the Lucky Koku. I have worked via letter with several high ranking samurai in order to put this together, I do not expect to fail." He sips his tea once again taking moment to allow the information to sink in, then continues. "Again, I would ask that you collect the package in Shiro Ide, and deliver it to Kyuden Diadoji. Is this something you are equipped to do for me?"

ChronicLunacy
2016-09-30, 12:19 AM
Hida Ryuzou

"Hm..." Ryuzou rumbled again. That would explain why the healer he had come so far to see could only meet him here at this particular inn. Hida did not enjoy deception, or being deceived, but much effort had gone into assuring his presence without contacting his superiors directly and simply asking. "This is all rather odd, but if you ask this in good faith then I will see it done." he said simply. Appropriate compensation was not something he brought up, but he was sure that his more economically inclined clansman would see to it.

Shmee
2016-09-30, 04:37 AM
Shizuo chooses to ignore the Phoenix's veiled threat, instead listening carefully to what Ide Jim has to say. Shizuo does not seem bothered that the Unicorn had gathered information about him. Indeed as far as Shizuo was concerned the task handed to him by his Daiyamo was no secret. Still, in the Yasuki's mind, if this Unicorn had truly pulled so many strings and gone into so much effort to bring so many samurai into this place, then it means that Ido Jim also has the financial backing as well. Stroking his lapdog, Shizuo decides to extract more information before determining the price that he would ask for this service... besides the donation that he has already secured.

"You have already secured my services. But as you can understand we would require more information about this task to ensure that we will succeed. This package... can we know what it contains, or shall it be a secret? I am sure that many sitting here would not be pleased if they were unwittingly carrying an item which may bring dishonor upon them. Not to mention that if this was a simple task, then Ide Jim-Dono would have only but needed to send his yojimbo instead of going through such length and effort to gather us all here. So perhaps you may also wish to explain the risks and dangers involved in this task as well... besides the raging ruffians or barbaric bandits which roam the country sides of course."

Longes
2016-10-01, 12:40 PM
Isawa Tetsuo, Shugenja
Tetsuo says nothing letting the crab do the talking.

Lady Tialait
2016-10-01, 05:08 PM
Ide Jim nods, "The package's contents must remain secret. I will tell you, it must not be overly shaken. This item's delivery will bring great honor upon both you six, and the two families having you deliver it. If you choose not to take me up on my offer, any of you. I will have to track down each of your superior's and ask them. This could take a year, and by the time it is done, the package may be of decidedly less value to it's holder. The entire task should take you half a year, if everything goes according to plan. Any other concerns?"

Alber
2016-10-01, 06:56 PM
Hiroya tilts his head up, his hand on his chin as he thinks, broadcasting his thoughts aloud to the group as he does so. "Six months? I know it's far but I didn't think it took quite that long...OH! Of course, we're north of the Spine of the World, aren't we? It's already starting to get cold...Seikitsu Pass may be blocked off already by snow, and even if it's not it still won't be an easy trek through the mountains. We may have to winter somewhere before we can even get to Shiro Ide, but the closest city to Seikitsu Pass on this side of the mountains is..." He pauses, smiles, then laughs before announcing his conclusion loudly.

"Kyuden Ikoma! My father's city!"

Shmee
2016-10-02, 05:22 AM
Shizuo nods at Ide Jim "We shall naturally require some proof that we are acting on your behalf when we face Ide Tobuko to receive this package. Naturally if this task does take six months, all going well of course, I would expect that Ide Jim-Dono will assist us in any way possible. I am sure that none of us sitting at this table are actually prepared or properly equipped for such a long journey. Especially considering Hiroya-San does have a valid point about the possibility of having to winter somewhere. But we can discuss this matter in private, after everyone agrees or rejects your task."

Turning to Hiroya he says "Perhaps we could consider an alternative route? If we start early and make good time, we could head South and use the Shamate Pass before the snows start to fall. Of course I could petition my honorable Mother for assistance. That however would require us to most likely Winter in Yogo Shiro. At the very best case I may be able to ensure that our presence there will be tolerated. I will not hold it against anyone if they do not wish to deal with the Yogo, therefore we should be open for suggestions if anybody knows of an alternative route." There was little point in Shizuo hiding his Yogo heritage. It was clear that Ide Jim already knew that, not to mention that Ryuzou also knew that fact since they were acquainted since childhood. In Shizuo's mind it was better to get this out of the way now, and avoid any potential misunderstandings in the future.

Alber
2016-10-02, 01:01 PM
"Bah! Shamate may be further south, but it's still just as high in the mountains as Seikitsu. There's no guarantee that it would be any more open, and it would mean a much longer trip to Shiro Ide going so far out of the way." While the Lion's complaints were not untrue, in all honestly he was more concerned with passing through Scorpion lands as little as possible, given his clan's recent conflict with them, and especially did not relish the thought of wintering in Shiro Yogo, but did not want to voice those concerns if he had no need to do so.

Lady Tialait
2016-10-04, 09:28 PM
Ide Jim nods at the conversation, "The way you take is not important. You may complete this task in any way you see fit. That is if everyone agrees to do it." he gestures to all in the room.

Steel Mirror
2016-10-05, 12:54 PM
Shiba Makoto

Shiba raised an eyebrow at the revelation of the magistrate's behind-the-scenes machinations. "I can't say that I am...familiar with such unusual protocols for assigning a samurai to a new duty. The ways of bushido can be heavy and inconvenient, but it has always been my way and the way of my family to accept orders only from those directly in our chain of command. It is...the proper way to do things, even if the proper way can often be difficult."

He frowned, then looked at Tetsuo. "However at the moment I have no great duties weighing upon my time, other than my own journey. And if my brother in law is set on undertaking this journey among such...colorful company, I believe that I should accompany him to ensure that nothing happens to him, for the sake of my sister."

Makoto thought about several months spent on the road with his boisterous, overly forward brother-in-law, and suppressed a sigh. "Indeed, duty can be a heavy thing..."

Longes
2016-10-05, 04:45 PM
Isawa Tetsuo, Shugenja

Tetsuo sighed. The gaijin-named whoreson was clearly intent on keeping them in the dark and not paying a single zeni, but the other samurai seemed to believe him. Unsure what to do, Tetsuo pulled out a sack of kawaru coins and shut himself off from the world. Over, and over, and over again he tossed the coins on the table looking deeper and deeper into the void.

Lady Tialait
2016-10-05, 08:20 PM
Ide Jim nods to Shiba Makoto, "I would agree that the protocol has been avoided. I would have gladly taken time to speak with your Daimyo, however while the message was in route the most saddening of occurrences happened." Ide Jim seems distressed for a moment, then collected himself. "The whole of the Phoenix lands are in mourning, making an audience with the council of Five or any shugenja very difficult. As for the rest of you, your superiors have been evasive. Trips to the Ivory Colonies for Ikoma, refusals to speak to one with a Gaijin name for both Hida and Yasuki, and as for Tsuruchi I wouldn't know how to get contact with Beautiful Wasp. I expect she would be retired either way, and no news of who the new Daimyo has reached Toshi Rambo." he tilts his head and looks at Tetsuo, "Is he alright?"

ChronicLunacy
2016-10-13, 11:14 AM
Hida Ryuzou

The minor details didn't much concern Ryuzou. If he found out that Ide was lying to them or if the package was dangerous, he would come back and take the price for that deception out of his hide as honor demanded. However, he had gone to much trouble to secure even the possibility of their services. Furthermore he seemed to be completely up front about everything so far. Ryuzou's policy was to trust in the honor of another samurai until that person gave him reason to do otherwise. He sipped his tea, glancing up briefly at the furiously divining Tetsuo, then lowered his eyes back to his tea again. Maybe he was a simple man, but people were always making things more complicated than they needed to be.