PDA

View Full Version : How to play Pokémon (Soul Silver) deliberately wrong?

Arkusus
2016-09-14, 02:38 PM
Alright, so I'm around 30, and had never played Pokémon before (no particular reason), and one of my pokemon enthusiast friends actually went through the trouble of buying me a copy of Soul Silver just to get me to play it.

So, I'm a little past the first Gym, enjoying the game quite a bit, but I'm really looking for ways to use my once-in-a-lifetime pokemon naivete to really irritate my friends.

In other words, what are some good in game accomplishments to go for that I can frustrate experienced pokemon players by casually mentioning in conversation? I'm thinking something like, "I was having a lot of trouble with the Elite Four, so I ended up resorting to using an entire party of Zubats. Kinda cheap I know, but I just kept getting the crap beaten out of me."

Except probably not that for various pokemon reasons I don't fully appreciate yet.

The Glyphstone
2016-09-14, 03:03 PM
Use your Master Ball to catch a Magikarp.

KO all the Legendaries.

Yana
2016-09-14, 03:10 PM
Use Meganium (3rd form of the grass starter) exclusively with all the HMs you can stick on it!

Anarion
2016-09-14, 03:17 PM
Use Meganium (3rd form of the grass starter) exclusively with all the HMs you can stick on it!

Put Strength on every Pokemon that you've got and use it frequently in combat, in that vein. Not surf though, surf is too cool for this.

Evolve anything that uses a stone in its evolution (like Pikachu with a thunderstone) right when you get it and don't teach it any new moves, then use it as a main battler.

DiscipleofBob
2016-09-14, 03:19 PM
Keep all your Pokemon's original moves because you like how they work now and don't want to ruin them with new moves.

Tell them how hard evolving Pokemon is. How you keep feeding them Rare Candies and mashing B but they never evolve.

Sell everything. Never buy squat. Complain about the lack of items. You need more money after all.

Teach your starter or other best Pokemon all HMs. Waste your TMs and teach all Pokemon you catch every HM available.

Wraith
2016-09-14, 03:26 PM
Don't evolve your 'mons because "I like the way they look". Finish the game exclusively with 1st Evolutions.

Fight bosses with Elementally-Weak 'mons (eg: go through the Grass Gym using the Water starter as your lead) and succeed by teaching them weird, Elementally-Strong TMs (that Water guy gets Ice Beam for example). Bonus points for using the same Pokémon for different fights and giving it a different TM each time.

Put some random, low-tier Pokémon that has absolutely nothing going for it into the Daycare and insist on keeping it there, regardless of how much better use you could be making of it "because I want to see what happens". When they insist that nothing will happen, tell them "I just want to be sure".

Ask them if your game is broken because you hatched an egg and had to release the Pokémon that came out "because it was some weird, sparkly colour compared to all the others".

Release Eevee. "I tried using it for a while, but it was dumb and I needed the room in my Box".

ShneekeyTheLost
2016-09-14, 03:37 PM
Fight bosses with Elementally-Weak 'mons (eg: go through the Grass Gym using the Water starter as your lead) and succeed by teaching them weird, Elementally-Strong TMs (that Water guy gets Ice Beam for example). Bonus points for using the same Pokémon for different fights and giving it a different TM each time.This is actually, arguably, one of the points of high-level meta that is used. Teach your pokemon a move from an element that it hates. For example, getting Surf on Pikachu from Yellow was actually a very strong move, because Dirt types, immune to electricity, are weak against Water type attacks. So even though you don't get STAB, you still get a powerful attack, and Pikachu's speed is pretty darn high, so odds are he'll be able to hit first with Surf, and already has a high Special attack, so even without STAB, it's probably going to be a really solid hit.

Here's one for you:

Dual-type pokemon are silly because they always have these bad weaknesses. Give me single-element pokemon every time!

Traab
2016-09-14, 04:01 PM
They wouldnt let me pick bulbasaur, so I quit.

Lord Raziere
2016-09-14, 04:15 PM
go to Lake of Rage and KO the red Gyarados and beat Pryce, BEFORE going to Olivine.

waste your masterball on the magikarp as per the other suggestion....THEN NEVER EVOLVE THE MAGIKARP. just keep leveling it up, until its level 100, put an Everstone on your master ball magikarp so you don't have to keep pressing B every level up, just for the sake of a level 100 Magikarp that can never ever evolve.

Don't make a well-rounded party of pokemon for every situation. Just pick a main pokemon and use it for every battle no matter what until its overleveled, keep using only it until just defeats everything with pure power.

claim your doing a nuzlocke, then use a revive on pokemon when it faints. then claim that doing so is all apart of the nuzlocke rules.

don't go for accurate moves. use Thunder, Blizzard, Fire Blast which are inaccurate but powerful, but never Ice Beam, Flamethrower or Thunderbolt.

teach things Swagger and Double Team, use those a lot. especially if your friends are Smogon nerds. that will irritate them to no end.

get a pokemon with Self-Destruct or Explosion. Use it in every battle.

get a pokemon with Metronome. Use it in every battle.

Find and teach a pokemon so that it knows nothing but stat-lowering or raising moves like Growl or Tail whip with no offensive capability, then claim its very useful for turning the tide of battle.

claim you love nicknaming your pokemon. then name them all numbers. your first pokemon? "1", your second? "2", third? "3" and so on and so forth, without any attempt at creativity or personal touch to it.

never hatch any of the eggs people give you. just put them in the PC, then forget about them.

only buy bitter herbs to use to heal your pokemon for the sake of saving money, then teach Return to your pokemon as much as possible

if you get a Max PP Up, waste it on the move Splash.

catch a Sudowoodo, then constantly treat it as if its a Grass type. (Its not.)

Claim that Whitney and Claire where the easiest Gym Leaders to defeat out of all of them.

Never use Flash. Get rid of it. Now go into the Whirl Islands and try to find your way through to Lugia without it.

and here is the ultimate thing in irritation:
Go in to fight the Elite Four gauntlet. THEN save before you actually fight any of them. Do NOT come prepared. Now you can't get back out to prepare unless you win against all five, or lose.

Flickerdart
2016-09-14, 04:16 PM
Gen 2, past the first gym? Oh boy.

Release your starter, it sucks. Your party from now on is Sentret, Hoothoot, Unown, Zubat, Geodude, and Spinarak. Teach as many HMs as you can to as many of them as possible. Give them all Mail as held items. Lose repeatedly to a gym leader to remove all your money. Sell your items too.

Then ask your friends to help you with the game because it's too hard.

cobaltstarfire
2016-09-14, 06:51 PM
You guys are brutal :p

I wonder how many deliberate "wrongs" one can cram into a single game without making it a terrible slog...

OracleofWuffing
2016-09-14, 06:58 PM
"That's not a Marril, it's a Pikablu."

Lethologica
2016-09-14, 07:04 PM
Never take a Pokemon out of the PC ("what PC? I thought those Pokemon just went to Professor Oak for analysis"). Release any Pokemon that faints because it's useless to you now.

You guys are brutal :p

I wonder how many deliberate "wrongs" one can cram into a single game without making it a terrible slog...
Any wrong related to not catching 'special' pokemon will probably actually speed the game up. #killalllegendaries

Anything else?...will honestly make the game kind of a slog. But then, the games are inherently a slog.

cobaltstarfire
2016-09-14, 07:38 PM
That is true, I usually just avoid legendaries entirely...especially those ones that roam. Though I suppose that's partially cause I have so many generations of some of them that I don't need them. Storyline pokemon that must be caught get that masterball chucked at them nearly immediately.

But you have to admit the rest compounded together could get pretty slogarific!

I made someone really mad once by abusing a serene grace Dunsparce though...do that too. Catch a serene grace dunsparce and then make your friends rage at you for abusing paralyze+flinch.

TurboGhast
2016-09-14, 07:40 PM
Act confused when your Steel and Poison type attacks aren't super effective against Pokémon who were changed to Fairy-type in later generations. If you have a Dark, Dragon or Fighting type on your team, add a move of either type to them as "necessary coverage", preferably using a TM to do so.

Act confused when you see a Pokémon with an Alolan form in its normal form. ("Don't Exeggutor have giant necks?")

Pretend that "Alolan form" means that it has a giant neck. (Might be mutually exclusive with the above. EDIT: It is possible to make it not mutually exclusive: "Aren't Vulpix Ice type and have a giant neck?")

Put nonsensical mail on your Pokémon instead of hold items with effects in battle. This won't gimp you much, Soul Silver didn't have very many powerful battle effect items.

You could use the Master Ball against another trainer's Pokémon ("But it said it'd work on every Pokémon"), or just toss it in the items menu instead of using it on a weak Pokémon.

Cespenar
2016-09-15, 04:18 AM
Start a new game after beating the Elite Four.

"It meant new game plus, right?"

Aotrs Commander
2016-09-15, 05:06 AM
Never use Flash. Get rid of it. Now go into the Whirl Islands and try to find your way through to Lugia without it.

No, no, no - use Flash ALL the TIME on every Pokémon that can use it, but completely ignore that it can be used out of battle.

But you have to admit the rest compounded together could get pretty slogarific!

To be fair, that's just about the only way to fail at Pokémon...

Silfir
2016-09-15, 08:16 AM
Optimize the crap out of your party for the Elite Four and kick their butts.

Afterwards, complain how you couldn't go back to the Pokemon Center inbetween fights, and that it was super hard to beat all of them in one go.

Someone asks you if you didn't use items to heal.

"I can use what?"

Then show off your team, which is headed by famed Johto All-Stars Dunsparce and Delibird.

ellindsey
2016-09-15, 08:46 AM
Take the time to capture every letter type of Unown. Use 6 Unown as your team when fighting gyms. Change members and order to spell words, such as the gym leader's name or type. When asked why, insist that you heard it was a secret code to make beating the gym leaders easier.

cobaltstarfire
2016-09-15, 10:22 AM
To be fair, that's just about the only way to fail at Pokémon...

Either way I hope OP does the "wrong" things that don't make it to much of a a slog (not evolving pokemon, or using moves weirdly). Cause otherwise they're basically asking us to help have the most un-enjoyable playthrough of the game possible.

Anarion
2016-09-15, 10:55 AM
Either way I hope OP does the "wrong" things that don't make it to much of a a slog (not evolving pokemon, or using moves weirdly). Cause otherwise they're basically asking us to help have the most un-enjoyable playthrough of the game possible.

The example offered was using 6 zubats, which appears to suggest that the OP is not opposed to pure stupidity exactly along the lines of making the game frustrating. Making the game frustrating in some way is just about the only way to play it wrong too.

On that note, don't do the elite 4 until all your pokemon are level 100 and tell your friends you thought you had to wait until they were max level before going in.

Wraith
2016-09-15, 11:57 AM

As I understood it, what we're being asked for are jokes; Arkusus wants to pretend to his friends that he's not just a newbie, but is completely and utterly inept at the game. :smalltongue:

This is actually, arguably, one of the points of high-level meta that is used.

Okay, so teach your Totodile.... let's say... Mudslide, so that he has a Normal Affect attack to use against plants, rather than his ineffective water ones. God forbid we recommend something sensible by accident :smallbiggrin:

Spore
2016-09-15, 03:19 PM
Back in my childhood days I built my team almost exclusively with STAB attacks and NOTHING else.

My typical Kadabra would have Confusion, Psybeam, Psychic and Thunderwave. Why three psychic attacks? Why because I hated going back to the pokecenter when grinding up in Victory Road. My Blastoise had Headbutt, Surf, Hydro Pump and Bite (normal type back then). My only flying type attack was Fly. Always. I used two turn Solar Beams every time. Don't forget Hyper Beam. Your Gyarados is not complete without Hyper Beam.

Catch everything you encounter and regularly rotate out your team. KO the roamers because they are annoying when you try to catch a Tentacool. And do the Kanto gyms out of order. I started with Erica because she is closer to the Monorail station, only realising later that Brock is much lower level.

Flickerdart
2016-09-15, 03:28 PM
And do the Kanto gyms out of order. I started with Erica because she is closer to the Monorail station, only realising later that Brock is much lower level.

I did them by order of proximity every time, it's not like they're hard to beat in whichever order.

ShneekeyTheLost
2016-09-15, 06:11 PM
STAB is king, STAB is life. STAB is the key to all success. Always make sure that any pokemon only has moves that receive STAB and NEVER any moves that is any other flavor, if possible. Unless it's a move which doesn't actually do damage, like Growl, in which case, pile it on! Oh, and don't water it down by using a dual-type pokemon either, only single-type pokemon are worth using for maximum STAB bonus.

Status effects are IMBA, so since they didn't nerf them, have pokemon that inflict four different types of status effects, because 'stacking status effects is super powerful'.

Lethologica
2016-09-15, 07:14 PM
To minimize type coverage, all of your Pokemon should only learn Bug-type moves. You have an appalling seven types that resist you, including the common Poison and Flying types. In particular, thanks to Tentacool/cruel and various water birds, surfing anywhere will be torture. Oh, and Zubat? Zubat will destroy you. Alternatively, all Poison-type moves will make caverns pure misery thanks to Rock and Ground being resistant, while still having the Tentacool/Zubat problem. Normal is a tempting choice, but while it doesn't hit anything for super-effective damage and hard-fails against the inevitable ghost section, it doesn't fail enough in common scenarios to make your moment-to-moment gameplay experience as painful as possible.

Alternatively, find terrible defensive typings and stick to them. Rock/Ground is a good bet--readily available, and both surfing and regular wild grass will be constantly fraught with peril. Grass-types hate wild grass, oddly enough, with Poison and Bug and Flying as weaknesses. Fire is underappreciated for how it hampers you both in water and in caves. Really, though, Rock with anything ensures you're gonna have a bad time, as long as you avoid pairing it with Water, Steel, or Bug.

(Feel free to adjust the above comments according to the Pokemon distribution in SS. I don't remember it that well.)

Last suggestion--don't catch any Pokemon. This won't necessarily make the game really hard, since you never have to train up other Pokemon, but if one thing is sure to baffle your friends, it's rejecting the slogan "Gotta catch 'em all".

Alabenson
2016-09-16, 05:10 AM
Never evolve your starter and after you beat the elite 4 release everything but your starter before you go to Kanto. When asked, say you wanted to stay true to the anime.

danzibr
2016-09-16, 12:55 PM
Tell them how hard evolving Pokemon is. How you keep feeding them Rare Candies and mashing B but they never evolve.
While I liked many of the suggestions, this is the only one that made me lol.

Tono
2016-09-16, 11:45 PM
In X I named all the pokemon that I fought people with Pikachu just to annoy one or two of my friends. When ever I talked to them I always referred to the individual pokemon as pikachu. 'I finally evolved my pikachu.' Or 'my pikachu swept a team the other day all by itself.'
I don't know the names of most of the pokemon i used though.

The Glyphstone
2016-09-17, 12:14 AM
Actually, that's a pretty harmless thing that could really be funny. Just call all your pokemon 'Pikachus', like that's the name for the creature type. You don't have a Marill, you have a 'fat blue Pikachu', etc.

Kitten Champion
2016-09-17, 02:42 AM
Hmm.. when I played through I just did every battle with my Everstone-carrying Chikorita (because she's adorable) named Clarent. I also had a Furret with Surf, Strength, Cut, and Whirlpool named Gram along with a Togetic named Joyeuse who had Fly just to save time since there's a lot of jumping around you have to do. Furret's great, everyone should have one or two to do various household chores.

I wasn't trying to play "wrong" or anything, I didn't really see the point of trying to capture them if I couldn't complete a Pokedex anyways - which is something I'm pretty spiteful about Pokemon in general about - and the Starter quickly becomes over-leveled anyways.

SlyGuyMcFly
2016-09-17, 12:34 PM
Actually, that's a pretty harmless thing that could really be funny. Just call all your pokemon 'Pikachus', like that's the name for the creature type. You don't have a Marill, you have a 'fat blue Pikachu', etc.

This is the evilest idea so far. Refer to Pikachu as "that electric mouse Pikachu" for massive trolling damage.

The Glyphstone
2016-09-17, 12:38 PM
This is the evilest idea so far. Refer to Pikachu as "that electric mouse Pikachu" for massive trolling damage.

Franchise Newbie used Incorrect Terminology!

It's super effective!

Diehard Fan fainted!

Lord Raziere
2016-09-17, 01:12 PM

Arceus: that goat god pikachu
Lugia: that ocean dragon pikachu
Ho-oh: that fire chicken pikachu
Gardevoir: that hot lady pikachu
Lucario: that dog jedi pikachu
Scyther: that scythe bug pikachu
Raichu: that orange rat pikachu
(doesn't work on any pikaclone though, its too accurate!)
dragonite: that fat dragon pikachu
Hitmonchan: that jackie chan pikachu
Hitmonlee: that bruce lee pikachu

BeerMug Paladin
2016-09-17, 01:49 PM
Pick your team based on how cool you think they look. It's bound to irritate veterans, but you're probably bound to have more fun with the game that way. That's mostly how I played Red, back in the day.

Insist that rock types should only lose to paper types, because that's how the game claims to work. Say that your version must be buggy because rock types are weak to other things.

Traab
2016-09-17, 03:06 PM

All I could think of was this. (http://www.vgcats.com/super/?strip_id=48)

Lord Raziere
2016-09-17, 03:21 PM
Pick your team based on how cool you think they look. It's bound to irritate veterans, but you're probably bound to have more fun with the game that way. That's mostly how I played Red, back in the day.

Man, thats not doing Pokemon wrong at all, I've been around since Gen 1 or 2 and thats how I've always done it. The only reason I decided to actually go catch all the other pokemon to complete the pokedex this gen was because I was bored. I doubt I'll use any of the pokemon I don't really like despite their stats, I'm still sticking to the pokemon I actually like and favor, its just now I have all the other pokemon as bragging rights or as potential uses for breeding up something to trade.

I mean, I've been doing this for six pokemon generations and I still haven't figured out or bothered to master IV Breeding, the metagame, any strategy beyond "find super-effective move for foe then spam", use any stat-enhancing moves, or even try a nuzlocke in any form or manner. though I guess I should at least try mixing it up with a single type run at some point....point is, if thats doing pokemon wrong, then I've never done it right.

anyways back to the deliberately wrong tips:
say that you look up to Ash Ketchum as your role model, and that you doubt you'll ever be as good as him.

complain that no matter how many pokemon you catch of the same species, you can't seem to turn them into candy to make your real one level up

complain that you didn't get a pikachu as a starter.

complain about how you can't command the pokemon following you to do things with your voice and how it would be such a great game if it allowed you to do that, like if say with a microphone.

act confused and ask where the mansion with the Entei and "the all powerful" Unown are, why Ilex forest doesn't have a Lake with Celebi in it, and where can you catch the ferry to go to the venice-looking town with the Latios and Latias.

constantly refer to Unown as "The All Powerful Unown". No matter what.

Get a Delibird. Talk how great a move Present is, since now you can be bird santa.

when you get to Kanto, ask where the Mewtwo Island with the clone pokemon are.

"Hey where is Ash? and why do people in Kanto keep talking about this Red loser?" and "Why did they name Ash "Red" in this game? Why won't they stay true to the anime?"- (back when I played Pokemon Gold, I think I myself was a little confused as to where Ash was when I got to Kanto and why Gary was named Blue, why they kept calling him Red and thought Red and Ash were the same person, since they both had Pikachus, all three starters, Snorlax and a Lapras. and that for some reason the games just decided to name them differently.)

Wookieetank
2016-09-19, 10:56 AM
This thread is delightfully terrible, I love it.

Suggestions:

Catch a Marill, name it Pikablu and tell your friends you got it by using a water stone on a Pikachu.

Never catch a bird type, and by extension never use fly. Use some sort of "birds terrify me" excuse.

Only go fishing with the old rod and complain about how you never catch more than one type of pokemon.

Turn Evee into Flareon because you've heard it was the best evolution.

Catch one of each unknown, and then claim that since you now have them all they are "known".

Refuse to get the bike, complain about how long it takes to get anywhere.

Asmodean_
2016-09-19, 12:33 PM
Not sure if it's been said (tl;dr'd the whole thread) but: KO the shiny Gyarados because you heard it would have average IVs and you wanted a "good" one. (this is true in Gen II, where a shiny's determinant values would be just above average, but not in any further games due to the IV/personal values split.)

TurboGhast
2016-09-21, 10:04 AM
Act confused the first time you use a TM. "I thought it TMs had infinite uses?"

Tell your friends that you're wary of whether HMs are going to stay after this incident.

Flickerdart
2016-09-21, 10:56 AM
Tell your friends that you're wary of whether HMs are going to stay after this incident.
"What do you mean, you're stuck in Ilex Forest?"
"Well, I taught Roost to my Pidgey, and then the TM disappeared. I want to make sure I have a good Pokemon I'll keep forever before I use Cut on it."

When told that HMs don't disappear, say "Someone on the internet said they changed Flash from an HM to a TM, I thought it was the same with all of them."

Which reminds me, go get stuck in Dark Cave, don't have any Pokemon that can learn Flash in the party, tell your friends you thought that was the way to go to the next town.

Lethologica
2016-09-21, 11:35 AM
"What do you mean, you're stuck in Ilex Forest?"
"Well, I taught Roost to my Pidgey, and then the TM disappeared. I want to make sure I have a good Pokemon I'll keep forever before I use Cut on it."

When told that HMs don't disappear, say "Someone on the internet said they changed Flash from an HM to a TM, I thought it was the same with all of them."

Which reminds me, go get stuck in Dark Cave, don't have any Pokemon that can learn Flash in the party, tell your friends you thought that was the way to go to the next town.
Bonus points if you can get them to say "give me that" and then spend the next half-hour getting you out.

Flickerdart
2016-09-21, 12:55 PM
Bonus points if you can get them to say "give me that" and then spend the next half-hour getting you out.
This only works if, upon exerting the effort (and no sooner) they find out it (or are made to believe, however briefly) was a waste of time somehow. Asking the friend "there's an item in my inventory called Escape Rope, what's that?" could do the trick. Similar reference could be made to the Dig TM. This works best if you do have an Escape Rope, but you put it in the PC before getting lost.

Make sure to carry only Pokemon that are weak against Zubats and Geodudes.

danzibr
2016-09-21, 08:59 PM
K, serious question. I printed off a couple coloring sheet for my son, but it doesn't have the names on them. There's a big crab-looking Pikachu with an X on its face, then a Pikachu that kind of looks like a crocodile, and a Pikachu that looks like a big snake. Unfortunately, I don't know the colors since they're coloring sheets. Any ideas?

Lord Raziere
2016-09-21, 10:48 PM
K, serious question. I printed off a couple coloring sheet for my son, but it doesn't have the names on them. There's a big crab-looking Pikachu with an X on its face, then a Pikachu that kind of looks like a crocodile, and a Pikachu that looks like a big snake. Unfortunately, I don't know the colors since they're coloring sheets. Any ideas?

.....X on its face.........thats Metagross. there is no other pokemon with an X on its face, its a steel type and is grey.

a crocodile.....well that could be six different pokemon if I remember correctly, one evolutionary line being the Sandile line with Krokorok and Krookodile as its evolutions, or the Totodile line with Croconaw and Feraligatr as its evolution

while there are at least three different snake pokemon: Ekans, Arbok and Seviper. However there are serpentine looking pokemon like Milotic, Gyarados looks like a very monstrous snake, while Onix and Steelix ARE rocky and steely big serpents. while Serperior is also a snake

so the first is obvious, but the other two you'll have to be more specific, but if this coloring sheet sticks to a regional theme, I might already know all three:
-Metagross is from the Hoenn region
-Seviper and Milotic is also from the Hoenn region (does it have really big fangs? like saber tooth fangs? then I'm right and its Seviper, if doesn't and instead has a big cobra pattern thats Arbok, if it has neither its Ekans, if it has a horn and boulders for a body its Onix, if its bouldery body has lots of horns lower down on its body but none on its head its Steelix, Gyarados if it has a big fin on its back, and Milotic if it has a horn, big eyebrows and two very long sideburns growing from its head, its Serperior if it has leaves on its tail and four pointy things opening outwards from its head like a banana)
-Therefore the third pokemon must also be from the Hoenn region, but there is no crocodile pokemon from the Hoenn region. So it might instead be either Treecko, Grovyle or Sceptile who are all actually based on geckos.

So you'll have to be more specific in your descriptions. the "crocodile-looking" pokemon could potentially be nine different pokemon (10 if we count Alola, but I'm not since its not out yet) while the "snake" pokemon could be any of eight. No wait......nine snake pokemon, Dragonair counts and you can tell if its Dragonair if it has an orb under its head. No wait, ten snake Pokemon, there is also Rayquaza, whom you can tell by all the tron-lines and trapezoid fins coming out of him

Lethologica
2016-09-22, 01:08 AM
Pix will help.

Wookieetank
2016-09-22, 08:09 AM
So you'll have to be more specific in your descriptions. the "crocodile-looking" pokemon could potentially be nine different pokemon (10 if we count Alola, but I'm not since its not out yet) while the "snake" pokemon could be any of eight. No wait......nine snake pokemon, Dragonair counts and you can tell if its Dragonair if it has an orb under its head. No wait, ten snake Pokemon, there is also Rayquaza, whom you can tell by all the tron-lines and trapezoid fins coming out of him

Obligatory (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WJXHY2OXGE) :smallwink:

danzibr
2016-09-22, 09:39 AM
.....X on its face.........thats Metagross. there is no other pokemon with an X on its face, its a steel type and is grey.
That's the one, thanks!

a crocodile.....well that could be six different pokemon if I remember correctly, one evolutionary line being the Sandile line with Krokorok and Krookodile as its evolutions, or the Totodile line with Croconaw and Feraligatr as its evolution
Got it again!

while there are at least three different snake pokemon: Ekans, Arbok and Seviper. However there are serpentine looking pokemon like Milotic, Gyarados looks like a very monstrous snake, while Onix and Steelix ARE rocky and steely big serpents. while Serperior is also a snake

so the first is obvious, but the other two you'll have to be more specific, but if this coloring sheet sticks to a regional theme, I might already know all three:
-Metagross is from the Hoenn region
-Seviper and Milotic is also from the Hoenn region (does it have really big fangs? like saber tooth fangs? then I'm right and its Seviper, if doesn't and instead has a big cobra pattern thats Arbok, if it has neither its Ekans, if it has a horn and boulders for a body its Onix, if its bouldery body has lots of horns lower down on its body but none on its head its Steelix, Gyarados if it has a big fin on its back, and Milotic if it has a horn, big eyebrows and two very long sideburns growing from its head, its Serperior if it has leaves on its tail and four pointy things opening outwards from its head like a banana)
-Therefore the third pokemon must also be from the Hoenn region, but there is no crocodile pokemon from the Hoenn region. So it might instead be either Treecko, Grovyle or Sceptile who are all actually based on geckos.
I was reading this bit, thinking man, this looks like a really big, snaky Pikachu, maybe a water serpent Pikachu, the kind of Pikachu you don't want to stumble across. I see the first images, thinking nope, not those Pikachus. Too snaky, too snaky, too rocky, too fishy. But then...

Yup, got it again! Thanks :)

I'm going to have to look up how to pronounce Metagross...

EDIT: Yeah, I looked it up, but I'm finding conflicting information. Does it rhyme with floss or close?

Silfir
2016-09-22, 10:25 AM
Your best bet for finding out an "official" pronunciation of Metagross is to search out dubbed episodes of the Pokémon anime that have one in it. You'll get it straight from the pikachu's mouth, as it were.

Yeah, I know they don't have those.

~Corvus~
2016-09-29, 09:27 PM
When you teach your pokemon Ice Beam, Earthquake, Psychic, Thuderbolt, Shadow Ball, etc, go to the Move Deleter and Delete them, saying "they looked dumb."

Name all of your Pokemon in correct spellings of the wrong pokemon. Complain that you can't beat these fracking battles because your pokemon keep getting beaten, and can they help. Bonus points for weak type-matched pokemon (Zubat becomes Geodude; Geodude is Magmar; Chikorita becomes Cyndaquil, Tentacool becomes Gastly, etc.

Let Pokemon hold items they can't benefit from, like Repels, and complain that you still get attacked in the wild.

Tell your friends that your leaf-hair Pikachu starter had a brown-colored leaf and dazzling lights, which you thought meant it needed to be watered, but you couldn't use the large-beaked Pikachu watering can on it, so you reset the game cause it was probably a graphics glitch.

Use only pokemon that know/learn Splash: Helicopter Pikachu (Hoppip), Whalekachu (wailmer), Slinky Pikachu (Spoink), Lipsy Pikachu (feebas), Floofy Pikachu (buneary), Blue Pikachu (azurill).

Have a single pokemon that knows Hail, Sunny Day, Rain Dance and Sandstorm.

~Corvus~
2016-09-29, 10:11 PM
Never catch a bird type, and by extension never use fly. Use some sort of "birds terrify me" excuse.

Refuse to get the bike, complain about how long it takes to get anywhere.

Discard your Fly HM. Cite some horrible childhood nightmare. Say that you avoided the bike vendor because you thought he was a pedo-person and probably wanted to steal your pikachus.

Back in my childhood days I built my team almost exclusively with STAB attacks and NOTHING else.

Refuse to use anything not mono-typed except for that Geodude you caught with a Master Ball.

For your next batch, give your Geodude (the one you caught with a Master Ball) an Everstone. Use Rare Candies on it and complain that it won't evolve, EVEN WHEN YOU DON'T PRESS B.

ShneekeyTheLost
2016-09-29, 10:17 PM
For your next batch, give your Geodude (the one you caught with a Master Ball) an Everstone. Use Rare Candies on it and complain that it won't evolve, EVEN WHEN YOU DON'T PRESS B.

Give your Eevee a ton of rare candies, then complain because you heard they do all kinds of evolutions but no matter how much you level it, darn thing just won't evolve.

Also "I heard that killing all the legends unlocks a secret level, but I can't seem to find it. Would you happen to know where it is?".

Or "Wasn't there something about pushing a truck by a boat to get some rare pokemon?" Expect a half hour dissertation on why this is untrue.

SlyGuyMcFly
2016-09-30, 06:36 AM
Or "Wasn't there something about pushing a truck by a boat to get some rare pokemon?" Expect a half hour dissertation on why this is untrue.

I like it. Innocent enough that nobody will suspect a troll but fertile ground nonetheless. :smallamused:

Flickerdart
2016-09-30, 09:31 AM
Also "I heard that killing all the legends unlocks a secret level, but I can't seem to find it. Would you happen to know where it is?".

I love it. Sounds like something a person might plausibly think. Pretend that you believe Legendary Pokemon are like the Weapons in FFVII - powerful optional bosses you go and kill.

tyckspoon
2016-09-30, 11:12 PM
The Daycare Man may not have any idea where PokeEggs come from, but you know how this works. Only breed same-species, opposite-gender pairs. Complain about how useless Ditto is and how it's impossible to get any more starters.

Flickerdart
2016-10-01, 05:50 PM
The Daycare Man may not have any idea where PokeEggs come from, but you know how this works. Only breed same-species, opposite-gender pairs. Complain about how useless Ditto is and how it's impossible to get any more starters.

Nah, that's too proficient at the game. Only put in Pokemon that can't produce eggs together. Different egg groups, same gender, genderless...the world's your oyster.

LooseCannoneer
2016-10-01, 08:13 PM
Make sure to carry only Pokemon that are weak against Zubats and Geodudes.

Only have pokemon that are faster than Zubats and Geodudes and know only super effective attacks, just in case they decide to let everyone faint. Let them spend hours in there hoping that each attack misses to take some damage. Bonus points if your last pokemon center used was the furthest possible one.

Flickerdart
2016-10-02, 01:03 PM
Only have pokemon that are faster than Zubats and Geodudes and know only super effective attacks, just in case they decide to let everyone faint. Let them spend hours in there hoping that each attack misses to take some damage. Bonus points if your last pokemon center used was the furthest possible one.

This only really works in complex caves like Seafoam Islands. The first level of Dark Cave is not large enough to really get lost in.

Tvtyrant
2016-10-02, 07:10 PM
Buy and throw pokeballs at the elite four's pokemon until you are broke, complain that they are hogging all of the good ones.

gmoyes
2016-10-02, 09:26 PM
Claim that Whitney is the easiest Gym Leader. :smallbiggrin:

That Miltank...:smalleek:

Flickerdart
2016-10-03, 09:19 AM
Claim that Whitney is the easiest Gym Leader. :smallbiggrin:

That Miltank...:smalleek:

Miltank dies like a chump to Gastly, which you can get en route. Hit it with Curse and then it's doomed.

ShneekeyTheLost
2016-10-04, 01:34 AM
Miltank dies like a chump to Gastly, which you can get en route. Hit it with Curse and then it's doomed.

Until it does Rollout and kills your ghastly in one hit...

Flickerdart
2016-10-04, 07:13 AM
Until it does Rollout and kills your ghastly in one hit...
Why would it die in one hit? The first hit from Rollout is only 30 power, and it's not boosted by STAB or super-effectiveness. It might die in two hits, but that's plenty of time to use Curse.

Teln
2016-10-05, 11:26 PM
Why would it die in one hit? The first hit from Rollout is only 30 power, and it's not boosted by STAB or super-effectiveness. It might die in two hits, but that's plenty of time to use Curse.

Of course it is, that's why Miltank will spam STAB'd Stomp instead.

Lethologica
2016-10-06, 01:52 AM
Of course it is, that's why Miltank will spam STAB'd Stomp instead.
I don't know whether you're suggesting this logic to the OP as how to play deliberately wrong, or whether you're genuinely overlooking what a...ghastly option this is. :smallcool:

Triaxx
2016-10-06, 05:44 AM
Starter moves only. Use the Move Deleter to accomplish it. (I think he was introduced in this one.)

TM's are single use. IE the move works in one battle and then get's forgotten.

ShneekeyTheLost
2016-10-06, 11:32 PM

I don't know about Soul Silver, but in original Silver, Rollout is Rock type, which is super effective against Poison, and will one-hit KO your Ghastly, even when he is ridiculously overpowered by grinding on the fighting and normal types around.

Seerow
2016-10-07, 12:27 AM
I don't know about Soul Silver, but in original Silver, Rollout is Rock type, which is super effective against Poison, and will one-hit KO your Ghastly, even when he is ridiculously overpowered by grinding on the fighting and normal types around.

Huh? I think you are confusing rock and ground. Rock is not super effective against poison.

Edit: that said my answer to Whitney was always the traded machop. I'd pick him up and sweep the whole gym.

dragonsamurai77
2016-10-08, 08:48 PM
I don't know whether you're suggesting this logic to the OP as how to play deliberately wrong, or whether you're genuinely overlooking what a...ghastly option this is. :smallcool:

Since this is 4th gen we're talking about, Miltank has Scrappy.

Lethologica
2016-10-09, 12:34 AM
Since this is 4th gen we're talking about, Miltank has Scrappy.
Ew. That's something I didn't have to deal with in Crystal, to be sure. My mistake.

ryuplaneswalker
2016-10-10, 07:14 AM

YEEEAAHHHH About that..In Whitney's Miltank in Soul Silver..has Scrappy.

Edit : Oh someone beat me too it. But yeah.

ShneekeyTheLost
2016-10-13, 04:20 AM
Teach a Grass Type the move Rainy Day (might be a bit of a challenge to pull off). When asked why Rainy Day instead of Sunny Day, respond 'Because it negates Fire attacks that hurt it so badly! Besides, he's strong against both water and electric, so I don't have to worry about it hurting me'. When asked about the synergy between Sunny Day and Solarbeam, respond with 'Because Solarbeam sucks'.

Spore
2016-10-13, 08:05 AM
Teach a Grass Type the move Rainy Day

It's called Raindance. But please call it Rainy Day and Sunshine for all the trolling value. :)

TurboGhast
2016-10-13, 03:52 PM
Teach a Grass Type the move Rainy Day (might be a bit of a challenge to pull off). When asked why Rainy Day instead of Sunny Day, respond 'Because it negates Fire attacks that hurt it so badly! Besides, he's strong against both water and electric, so I don't have to worry about it hurting me'. When asked about the synergy between Sunny Day and Solarbeam, respond with 'Because Solarbeam sucks'.

You could also claim that Solar Beam in rain takes three turns.

You have three options for grass type rain in Gen IV:

Budew, Roselia, and Roserade: Roserade has lots of special attack and could greatly benefit from one-turn solar beams, making it more likely for your friends to bring the move up. It also has good special defense, giving your deliberately bad strategy a kernel of good strategy. EDIT: Checked Serebii, getting this would require trading or leveling up the HGSS Safari Zone.
Wormadam: A Female Burmy must be evolved while in Plant Cloak form to make Wormadam a grass type. This would be somewhat tough to set up, but it can perform the base deliberate bad strategy. EDIT: Easiest of the three to get, since all you need to do to get it is Headbutt a special tree on route 38.
Snover and Abomasnow: Trolly because you're setting up a new weather condition over the free hail from from Snow Warning. Use Blizzard in rain for extra bad strategy points. EDIT: After further consideration, I like this troll the most. However, getting it would require trading from a Sinnoh version, or having a Pokéwalker.

EDIT: You're going to have to pick one, since there's only one TM Rain Dance in the game.

I was going to note that you should make sure that you're not using a grass type with an ability that's triggered by rain, but there are only two grass type final evolutions fitting that criteria: Dry Skin Parasect, which can't learn Rain Dance, and Rain Dish Ludicolo, which is part water type.