PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Elder Scrolls, my attempt at making it work in D&D 5e

boristheboar
2016-09-15, 03:39 AM
Hello all! This is my second draft of this little project of mine so any helpful criticism would be appreciated.
human
imperial
+2str. +2cha.
persuasion
religion
rallying shout-all allies within 15ft. of you gain advantage on attack rolls for 1 minute
Adv. vs. being charmed

redguard
+2str. +2dex.
athletics
Acrobatics
adrenaline rush- +20 ft. movement and extra attack for 1 minute-once per long rest
Magic can't put me to sleep

breton
+2cha. +2wis.
arcana
insight
dragon skin-resist magic for 1 minute, absorb spells refilling 1 spell slot per hit-once per long rest

nord
+2str. +2con.
intimidation
survival
battlecry-all enemies within 15ft. of you must succeed at a wis. save (8+prof.+str.) or gain disadvantage for 1 minute
resistance vs. cold

mer
bosmer(wood elf)
+2dex. +1int. +1wis.
Animal Handling
Nature
commune with nature-cast speak with animals as a ritual
adv. vs. poison
darkvision 60ft.

dunmer(dark elf)
+2cha. +1dex. +1wis.
Deception
Intimidation
ancestral flame-cast fire shield for 1 minute-once per long rest
resistance vs. fire
darkvision 90ft.

altmer(high elf)
+2int. +2wis. +2cha.
arcana
investigation
highborn- for 1 minute when casting a spell as an action you may cast a cantrip as a bonus action, weakness vs. magic- once per long rest
darkvision 30ft.

orsimer(orc)
+2str. +2con.
Athletics
Intimidation
berzerk- for 1 minute when you attack add an additional 2d4 damage to the attack, when you are hit while berzerking reduce damage recieved by 2d4 to a minimum of 1 damage-once per long rest
darkvision 30ft.

beast folk
argonian
+2con. +1str. +1dex.
medicine
survival
hist skin- for 1 minute recover 1d10+con. on your turn to a maximum of full health-once per long rest
water breathing
darkvision 30ft.

khajiit
+2dex. +2cha.
Acrobatics
Persuasion
cats paws(passive)- while in stealth you can move up to 20ft. silently
cats claws(passive)- your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 slashing damage. (lv5/1d6,lv11/1d8,lv17/1d10)
darkvision 120ft.
p.s. I also have birthsigns and daedric artifacts in the works

human
imperial
+2str. +2cha.
persuasion
religion
emperor's voice-cast charm person-once per short rest
Adv. vs. being charmed

redguard
+2str. +2dex.
athletics
Acrobatics
adrenaline rush- +20 ft. movement and extra attack for 3d4 rounds-once per long rest

breton
+2cha. +2wis.
arcana
insight
dragon skin-resist magic for 3d4 rounds, absorb spells refilling 1 spell slot per hit-once per long rest

nord
+2str. +2con.
intimidation
survival
battlecry-cast fear-once per short rest
resistance vs. cold

mer
bosmer(wood elf)
+2dex. +1int. +1wis.
Animal Handling
Nature
summon familiar-summon wolf for 3d4 rounds has same initiative as player-once per long rest
adv. vs. poison
darkvision 60ft.

dunmer(dark elf)
+2cha. +1dex. +1wis.
Deception
Intimidation
ancestral flame- for 3d4 rounds enemies beginning their turns adjacent to player suffer 1d4 fire damage-once per long rest
resistance vs. fire
darkvision 90ft.

altmer(high elf)
+2int. +2wis. +2cha.
arcana
investigation
highborn- for 3d4 rounds when casting a spell as an action you may cast a cantrip as a bonus action, weakness vs. magic- once per long rest
darkvision 30ft.

orsimer(orc)
+2str. +2con.
Athletics
Intimidation
berzerk- for 3d4 rounds when you attack add an additional 2d4 damage to the attack, when you are hit while berzerking reduce damage recieved by 2d4 to a minimum of 1 damage-once per long rest
darkvision 30ft.

beast folk
argonian
+2con. +1str. +1dex.
medicine
survival
hist skin- for 3d4 rounds recover 1 hit die on your turn to a maximum of full health-once per long rest
water breathing
darkvision 30ft.

khajiit
+2dex. +2cha.
Acrobatics
Persuasion
cats claws(passive)- your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 slashing damage(stacks with class unarmed strikes)
darkvision 120ft.

arrowed
2016-09-15, 07:27 AM
Hello. Your structure with the various races seems consistent, but I don't think it will mesh that well with 5e as-is. Races in general tend to get +2 to one ability and +1 to another, with examples of +2/+2, +2/+1/+1, and +1 to all in the PHB, usually for races with fewer class features. The various 3d4 round duration powers don't fit with the design of 5e, which tends to have set durations for effects, and some scale while others don't. An extra attack is valuable at all levels, but 1d4 fire damage to adjacent enemies is much less valuable at higher levels. The altmer power is pretty weird as written: if you cast any spell as a bonus action on your turn, you can only cast a cantrip with your action. Therefore the power just lets you cast two cantrpis a round for a few turns. Is this intentional? I don't know how you think weakness to magic will work either, an x/rest ability is usually activated by the player, so by what you've written it looks like 1/long rest an altmer gets to choose to become weaker against magic. :smallconfused:
I would make the following changes: the redguard adrenaline rush should work like action surge, and be usable 1/long rest. The Breton's dragon skin should work like the magic resistance trait (advantage on saves against spells an other magical effects). The nord battlecry should work like a 1d6 bardic inspiration die that increases or decreases the next attack roll a target in 60ft makes until the end of your next turn (bonus action to use). Replace the bosmer summon familiar with the ability to cast speak with animals as a ritual or 1/short rest. The dunmer ancestral fire should be the ability to cast (warm) fire shield 1/long rest. The altmer should learn 1 wizard cantrip in place of highborn. The orsimer should get the half-orc's relentless endurance and savage attacks traits from the PHB in place of bezerk, the argonian hist skin should let the character recover 1d10+con hitpoints as a bonus action 1/rest. The khajit soft paws should grant proficiency in stealth, and their claw damage should not stack with martial arts, but let them choose to do bludgeoning or slashing damage with martial arts.
I'd also change each race's ability score improvements to +2/+1 each.
One more thing, do these count as races and backgrounds in one? If not, you might find characters end up with oodles of skills each.
Sorry for the long-winded criticism, I think what you've got already is pretty good, and I'm interested in seeing what you do with birthsigns and daedric artifacts. :smallsmile:

boristheboar
2016-09-15, 11:55 AM
sorry, I guess I should have explained that I'm planning on running a campaign centered around Cyrodil and the Imperial City. I was trying to use the data available to me from ESIV Oblivion and ESV Skyrim mesh together. also I didn't explain anything on that post, but the races that were +2,+1,+1 had to choose which +1 to take, The Altmer chooses 2 +2's and the reasoning behind their weakness is they are tapping into their raw arcane power and that magic is highly volatile, casting a spell as an action you may cast a cantrip as a bonus action
abilities that have commas in them have both effects at the same time
regarding the Kahjiit when I originally wrote out their stuff I had it to were they received reduced fall damage instead of better and I later forgot to change it.
I'll update my Races sheet as soon as I get the chance.
and yes they count as both races and backgrounds

also the birthsigns need re-editing since I wrote it out were you had to use point buy or possible break the 20 ability score limit at character creation. If you want me to post it as is I will, I put a max skill ,pre race/birthsign, of 16 to prevent any of my players from breaking the 20 hard cap.

arrowed
2016-09-17, 02:35 PM
What you've said makes it seem a lot better, I must've misread the altmer power, sorry. :smallredface: I look forward to seeing your updates.

boristheboar
2016-09-18, 03:34 AM
I was thinking about changing the Imperial and Nord powers to be short range aoe buff/debuff effects
imperial would give their allies advantage, while the nord world make the enemies make a wis. save or suffer disadvantage
what do you think?

arrowed
2016-09-18, 05:20 AM
That seems like a good idea.

boristheboar
2016-09-18, 12:38 PM
Ok I partially updated my races. I made changes to the following Imperial, Nord, Bosmer, Dunmer, Argonian, and Kahjiit. I also replaced the weird 3d4 rounds to 1 minute(10 rounds) in all abilities.

I still need to change the Redguard and the Breton, but I've hit a proverbial wall...
I was thinking that while their ability was active Bretons could spend their reaction to cast a cantrip when hit by a spell, this would replace their weird spell slot regen. ability.

and Redguard I like your idea of action surge, but I think that would work best with a con./long rest limit instead of just once.

anyways I'll post the updated races here and update the original post so it is easier for people to find

human
imperial
+2str. +2cha.
persuasion
religion
rallying shout-all allies within 15ft. of you gain advantage on attack rolls for 1 minute
Adv. vs. being charmed

redguard
+2str. +2dex.
athletics
Acrobatics
adrenaline rush- +20 ft. movement and extra attack for 1 minute-once per long rest

breton
+2cha. +2wis.
arcana
insight
dragon skin-resist magic for 1 minute, absorb spells refilling 1 spell slot per hit-once per long rest

nord
+2str. +2con.
intimidation
survival
battlecry-all enemies within 15ft. of you must succeed at a wis. save (8+prof.+str.) or gain disadvantage for 1 minute
resistance vs. cold

mer
bosmer(wood elf)
+2dex. +1int. +1wis.
Animal Handling
Nature
commune with nature-cast speak with animals as a ritual
adv. vs. poison
darkvision 60ft.

dunmer(dark elf)
+2cha. +1dex. +1wis.
Deception
Intimidation
ancestral flame-cast fire shield for 1 minute-once per long rest
resistance vs. fire
darkvision 90ft.

altmer(high elf)
+2int. +2wis. +2cha.
arcana
investigation
highborn- for 1 minute when casting a spell as an action you may cast a cantrip as a bonus action, weakness vs. magic- once per long rest
darkvision 30ft.

orsimer(orc)
+2str. +2con.
Athletics
Intimidation
berzerk- for 1 minute when you attack add an additional 2d4 damage to the attack, when you are hit while berzerking reduce damage recieved by 2d4 to a minimum of 1 damage-once per long rest
darkvision 30ft.

beast folk
argonian
+2con. +1str. +1dex.
medicine
survival
hist skin- for 1 minute recover 1d10+con. on your turn to a maximum of full health-once per long rest
water breathing
darkvision 30ft.

khajiit
+2dex. +2cha.
Acrobatics
Persuasion
cats claws(passive)- your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 slashing damage. (lv5/1d6,lv11/1d8,lv17/1d10)
darkvision 120ft.