PDA

View Full Version : Ghost meele build help + rule questions

jok
2016-09-15, 05:45 AM
tl;dr
- how does Draining Touch (SU) from the Ghost savage progression interact with all kind of multiple attacks (high bab, natural weapons, flurry of blows, snap kick...)? Simple RAW thread#32 (page 7, q128) produced conflicting answers.

Hello,

for our next campaign I am trying to build a ghostly character that takes the melee bruiser role in combat.

We are only 2 players + GM and everyone enjoys the wargameing grid combat of D&D 3.5. Probably its 3/4 combat and 1/4 other RPing which consists mostly of non combat problem solving, selling and planing. Campaigns usually go from around level 5 to about 13. Pretty much all official sources even if obscure are allowed. Stats are always very generous either high point buy or very good roll system. MAD is no problem.
What I do not like is mass persisting and polymorph "abuse" like hydras. Since these 2 can pretty much invalidate all other character builds in our usual level range. So Tier 1 and 2 need to be careful with not overdoing it, everything below can heavily optimize. Ubercharger+Doungeoncrasher or good template stacking like feral plus mineral warrior have been done. LA is allowed and XP is a river.

After command undead specters in our current campaign and having fun with them in melee I thought building a comparable character would be a good idea.
This Ghost savage progression (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) seems to be the best way I found to go about it.

In this rather short ghost handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10975.0) I think we would go with LA buy off option D. Or do even better LA buy off interpretations exists?
D) Catchup LA buy off: The 3/6/9 cutoffs are the minimum levels necessary to buy a template off. So if you acquire a LA+2 template at level 10, you can spend your next two levels buying it off. Probably the fairest of the lot, and decent RAW support, this is the one actually use.

So the goal is a ghost that flys around the battlefield and debuffs or kills enemy with Draining Touch. Here is the the question if Draining touch can even be used as a rider on effect on other attacks like flurry of blows, mongoose maneuvers or snap kick? If it can I would need alot of attacks, damage would be secondary and modifier as well since its all touch attack. For ability drain immune enemy I would need another source of damage. Maybe strikes or alot of attacks or the ghost telekinesis. First I thought totemist would be a good Idea but being undead I would have no constitution score. Other idea would be unarmed swordsage but I am unsure how unarmed attacks work with the multi attack strikes and boosts from tiger claw discipline. All this hinges on the see above tl;dr Draining Touch (Su) and multiple attacks.

I am happy for all input be it RAW, fair house rules, ideas what this character should also get or cool tactics. Maybe someone has a link to a comparable build. I am sure someone already build a ghost like this, but I couldn't find any.

Thank you!

OldTrees1
2016-09-15, 08:01 AM
This took some digging (Savage Progressions -> SRD -> Monster Manual PDF) to find out
A Ghost's Incorporeal Touch is a normal attack(listed in both Attack and Full Attack lines). Since the sample Ghosts has less than 6 BAB I don't know if you get more Incorporeal Touches with higher BAB but I would expect you would.

Draining Touch only works off Incorporeal Touch. You can gain as many extra attacks that you want but they will not count unless they are extra Incorporeal Touch attacks (so natural weapons would not help but BAB might).

jok
2016-09-15, 02:26 PM
This took some digging (Savage Progressions -> SRD -> Monster Manual PDF) to find out
A Ghost's Incorporeal Touch is a normal attack(listed in both Attack and Full Attack lines). Since the sample Ghosts has less than 6 BAB I don't know if you get more Incorporeal Touches with higher BAB but I would expect you would.

Draining Touch only works off Incorporeal Touch. You can gain as many extra attacks that you want but they will not count unless they are extra Incorporeal Touch attacks (so natural weapons would not help but BAB might).

That was a good idea to look at the stablocks attack entries.
I found atleast one other incorporeal creature with comparable ability damage Su with two attacks from BAB.
I am on mobile atm so I will look other incorporeal monsters aswell. Maybe there is something else to learn about full attacks with incorporeal monsters.

OldTrees1
2016-09-15, 02:44 PM
That was a good idea to look at the stablocks attack entries.
I found atleast one other incorporeal creature with comparable ability damage Su with two attacks from BAB.
I am on mobile atm so I will look other incorporeal monsters aswell. Maybe there is something else to learn about full attacks with incorporeal monsters.

Other incorporeal creatures will not be relevant (unless they also have the ability specifically named "Incorporeal Touch"). Your are wondering about the Ghost "Incorporeal Touch" ability. So only Ghost statblocks are useful.

So I looked in the Libris Mortis for their sample Ghost stat blocks and all the Ghosts with 6+ BAB that listed Incorporeal Touch in their Full Attack (3 such ghosts) only got 1 such attack.

So it looks like the Incorporeal Touch is a Standard Action attack.

jok
2016-09-16, 04:03 AM
Other incorporeal creatures will not be relevant (unless they also have the ability specifically named "Incorporeal Touch"). Your are wondering about the Ghost "Incorporeal Touch" ability. So only Ghost statblocks are useful.

So I looked in the Libris Mortis for their sample Ghost stat blocks and all the Ghosts with 6+ BAB that listed Incorporeal Touch in their Full Attack (3 such ghosts) only got 1 such attack.

So it looks like the Incorporeal Touch is a Standard Action attack.

You are right that other incorporeal creature are not so good to compare this ghost ability.

I had time to check Libris Mortis now and the sample Ghosts in chapter 7
Page 148 the ghost kraken Narthal with a BAB of +20 only gets one draining touch with full attack
Page 148 the ghost mind flayer with a BAB of +6 only get one draining touch with full attack
but then there is
page 149 ghost human cleric Taryn Darena with a BAB of +7 and she gets 2 draining touch with full attack.

Are there any more?
The confusion is real. Errata is silent about this.

ShurikVch
2016-09-16, 04:55 AM
Are there any more?Ghost Dire Lion in the Red Hand of Doom have only one incorporeal touch per round despite it's BAB +6

Watchghosts in Dungeon #101 are able to make full attack against ethereal opponents (+13/+8, 1d10+7/x3, +1 halberd), and against material opponents (+10/+5, 1d6, corrupting touch)

Inevitability
2016-09-16, 05:15 AM
Ghost Dire Lion in the Red Hand of Doom have only one incorporeal touch per round despite it's BAB +6

Watchghosts in Dungeon #101 are able to make full attack against ethereal opponents (+13/+8, 1d10+7/x3, +1 halberd), and against material opponents (+10/+5, 1d6, corrupting touch)

Watchghosts are Dungeon magazine though, so the aren't really valid sources when it comes to rule issues.

OldTrees1
2016-09-16, 07:04 AM
You are right that other incorporeal creature are not so good to compare this ghost ability.

-snip-
page 149 ghost human cleric Taryn Darena with a BAB of +7 and she gets 2 draining touch with full attack.

Are there any more?
The confusion is real. Errata is silent about this.

There are no more I know of but since Libris Mortis contradicted itself I would throw out its cases.

Ask your DM. Some may allow multiple and some may only allow one.

ShurikVch
2016-09-16, 07:44 AM
Watchghosts are Dungeon magazine though, so the aren't really valid sources when it comes to rule issues.Actually, Watchghosts are from Monsters of Faerūn, but there wasn't any example creatures

Inevitability
2016-09-16, 08:25 AM
Actually, Watchghosts are from Monsters of Faerūn, but there wasn't any example creatures

The fact that the template is from somewhere else does not make the 2nd-party sample creatures any more legal.

Telonius
2016-09-16, 10:21 AM
Ghosts are a rules mess, as I found out (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?396268-Ghost-Touch-and-Ghostly-Equipment) a while ago. Personally I'd try to parse it like this: Draining Touch can be used in place of the natural attacks a creature would usually be granted (i.e. use one Draining Touch instead of the entire natural attack routine); OR it can also be used to replace attacks in a Full Attack routine (i.e. can use it on iteratives); but not both. That's the only thing I can think of that would make the example ghosts make any kind of sense.

jok
2016-09-17, 02:45 AM
Ghosts are a rules mess, as I found out (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?396268-Ghost-Touch-and-Ghostly-Equipment) a while ago. Personally I'd try to parse it like this: Draining Touch can be used in place of the natural attacks a creature would usually be granted (i.e. use one Draining Touch instead of the entire natural attack routine); OR it can also be used to replace attacks in a Full Attack routine (i.e. can use it on iteratives); but not both. That's the only thing I can think of that would make the example ghosts make any kind of sense.

This rules of the game article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040928a) might be interesting regarding your linked post.

The D&D 3.5 FAQ (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20070731a) seem to look at the incorporeal touch attack as a kind of a slam attack... but nothing about iterative attacks (usual FAQ disclaimer...)

At this point RAW seems to be unclear, so I will look at other incorporeal creatures aswell, just to get an idea how it could be houseruled.

Interesting monsters with incorporeal touch attacks I found:

- Prismatic Golem MM3 p71; Gets 2 incorporeal touch attacks (prismatic touch). Large golem usually get 2 slam attacks no matter the BAB.
- Deathshrieker MM3 p33; Incorporeal touch charisma drain depending on BAB without a doubt, since advanced version is also given.
- Dread Wraith SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wraith.htm); no iteratives constitution drain.
- Spectral lurker FF p158; has its natural weapon as Ghost touch weapons.
- Unraveler PlH p130; has 2 meele claw touch attacks that do damage and rider on effect. Damage part is not explained with any special ability.
- Horafroster Fey (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20031212a) only one incorporal touch despite BAB +8.

Telonius
2016-09-17, 07:22 AM
This rules of the game article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040928a) might be interesting regarding your linked post.

Yeah, I remember looking at that article towards the end of that thread; the paragraph on Ghost Touch weaponry has all kinds of "presumably" and "it's not clear" wording. Eventually I decided that if even the designers couldn't figure out what was going on I'd houserule it however I wanted. (Of course the Cleric won initiative and connected with a Heal in the first round, making the whole thing moot anyway).