View Full Version : CR 1 spellcasters?

Oramac
2016-09-15, 11:01 AM
Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing any CR 1 casters in the MM. There's CR 1/4 (Acolyte) and CR 2 (Cult Fanatic), but nothing at CR 1.

I could just nerf a CR 2 caster, but I'd prefer not to if I can avoid it. Does anyone know of a CR 1 caster that I'm missing? (preferably humanoid)

Thanks!

Sparkle_Lord
2016-09-15, 11:28 AM
Supposedly, a player's CR matches their level, so a level 1 caster from the phb (Warlock, Wizard, etc.) would be what you want.

Osrogue
2016-09-15, 11:31 AM
CR definitely doesn't match level. You're probably going to have to make one yourself.

DivisibleByZero
2016-09-15, 12:33 PM
Supposedly, a player's CR matches their level, so a level 1 caster from the phb (Warlock, Wizard, etc.) would be what you want.

As stated above, this isn't 3.5 and CR definitely doesn't equal level.
CR represents an equal challenge for a party of four. Your level 3 wizard is no match for a party of four level 3 characters.

Oramac
2016-09-15, 12:46 PM
You're probably going to have to make one yourself.

This is unfortunate, but not unexpected.

Thanks all!

mgshamster
2016-09-15, 01:09 PM

In doing conversions and adventure design, I've found that a PC level is about 4 higher than CR.

So it's approximately CR = [level - 4]. Plus or minus a little.

As divisiblebyzero says, there isn't really a good translation for it. Monsters and NPCs are supposed to be built differently from PCs; they follow different rules, they're supposed to be easier to adjust, and most of the stuff needed for a PC is irrelevent for a random NPC. Just slap on what you need to make the scene work and call it a day.

NNescio
2016-09-15, 07:50 PM
Dryad. Functionally a spellcaster, even if she's fey instead of humanoid.

DragonSorcererX
2016-09-15, 09:04 PM
Monster Building Bible:

http://theangrygm.com/monster-building-101-its-alive-its-alive/
http://theangrygm.com/monster-building-201-the-dd-monster-dissection-lab/
http://theangrygm.com/monster-building-202/
http://theangrygm.com/monster-building-202-supplement-monster-building-with-angry/

Envyus
2016-09-15, 09:10 PM
The Witch from Curse of Strahd. And Evil mage from Lost mines. Are CR 1 Casters.

Knaight
2016-09-16, 12:29 AM
As stated above, this isn't 3.5 and CR definitely doesn't equal level.
CR represents an equal challenge for a party of four. Your level 3 wizard is no match for a party of four level 3 characters.
That's not quite what CR means; there's a reason there is both a CR and a listed XP and they don't fit perfectly. CR is more like a lower limit where opposition has the sort of options that a party of a given level can handle. How many opponents are an even fight is entirely XP based.

MrStabby
2016-09-16, 03:44 AM
In doing conversions and adventure design, I've found that a PC level is about 4 higher than CR.

So it's approximately CR = [level - 4]. Plus or minus a little.

As divisiblebyzero says, there isn't really a good translation for it. Monsters and NPCs are supposed to be built differently from PCs; they follow different rules, they're supposed to be easier to adjust, and most of the stuff needed for a PC is irrelevent for a random NPC. Just slap on what you need to make the scene work and call it a day.

Yeah, don't get too hung up on CRs. The difficulty of an encounter is very much determined by the type of abilities they have as much as the level of the abilities themselves. It is also very much determined by the environment - a bunch of casters and archers in a thick fog might have more difficulty against enemies than a more close combat focused party would.

Another issue is magic items. If you give magic items to the party then you may need to raise the difficulty over the recommended CR level. If players have roughly 2 magic items each I will tend to raise (roughly) CR by 1 for uncommon permanent items, CR 2 for rare and very rare, And CR3 For rare with some legendary items in.

Caster levels in particular are difficult to force into a CR system at low levels. A smart level 5 rogue might be a fun deadly encounter for a party of 4 level 2 adventurers (fun if your group is down with real risk of character death). A level 5 wizard with fireball is prone to getting an immediate TPK.

Oramac
2016-09-16, 11:53 AM
And Evil mage from Lost mines.

I'd missed that! It's perfect. Thanks!

I've already built a caster for the game too, so I'll probably use both (in different spots).