PDA

View Full Version : Improving a Lycanthrope's scores? [Pathfinder]

Tanuki Tales
2016-09-15, 12:48 PM
Other than through buffing after shapechanging, is there anyway to improve a Lycanthrope's physical scores after creation?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-15, 01:33 PM
Additional applications of the lycanthrope template would do it, whether naturally or via curse of lycanthropy. (The good version, not the stupid, creates-sapient-creatures-from-nothing version.)

Other templates are applicable, as well. Warbeast, for example.

And if you're Large or larger, a war hulk gains +2 Str per level.

Magic items, other forms of shapeshifting, body-swapping, and HD bonuses. And even though you don't want them, there are lots of buffs that can get you lots of Str boosts, too.

Tanuki Tales
2016-09-15, 02:07 PM
Additional applications of the lycanthrope template would do it, whether naturally or via curse of lycanthropy. (The good version, not the stupid, creates-sapient-creatures-from-nothing version.)

How? The mental score buffs stack, but the physical ones are locked to that specific hybrid/animal form.

Other templates are applicable, as well. Warbeast, for example.

Those would have to be applied at creation for the base animal though.

And if you're Large or larger, a war hulk gains +2 Str per level.

On my phone, so afb, but aren't those inherent bonuses? They wouldn't affect your shapeshifted form.

Magic items, other forms of shapeshifting, body-swapping, and HD bonuses. And even though you don't want them, there are lots of buffs that can get you lots of Str boosts, too.

Magic items are the only thing that could carry over to the shapechanged form. Body swapping and HD advancement only affect the base creative's scores.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-15, 02:16 PM
How? The mental score buffs stack, but the physical ones are locked to that specific hybrid/animal form.A.) You can always find a stronger animal form, and B.) extra HD means more level-based Strength increases.

Those would have to be applied at creation for the base animal though.The warbeast template says nothing about when the template can be applied. If it said that it was an inherited templete, sure, but it doesn't.

On my phone, so afb, but aren't those inherent bonuses? They wouldn't affect your shapeshifted form.Not only are the bonuses untyped, but you keep them regardless of form, unless the effect that gives you the form says that you lose class abilities (such as baleful polymorph does).

Magic items are the only thing that could carry over to the shapechanged form. Body swapping and HD advancement only affect the base creative's scores.You never said anything about wanting to keep them in hybrid and animal forms. You just said you wanted to increase your Str score. Using mind switch to give yourself a titan's body will almost assuredly raise your Str score, regardless of what it was in your unbuffed base form.

Tanuki Tales
2016-09-15, 02:23 PM
Max, I don't think you're familiar how Pathfinder Lycanthrope's work.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-15, 02:29 PM
...Huh. I didn't notice it was PF-only. Never mind, then.