View Full Version : Optimization multiclass advice; new ranger build

Nishant
2016-09-15, 01:37 PM
So, I plan on playing the new ranger, and taking the underdark scout. I'm trying to figure out when to bounce off the class. I'm thinking at 6, but I'm wondering if I should multiclass into cleric or druid. When should I drop off, and what should I dip into? I was thinking underdark druid, or maybe war cleric? I'd like any advice you can offer. if it makes a difference, I'll be playing a wood elf.

Specter
2016-09-15, 01:43 PM
Well, Underdark Scout's main ability is the first turn attack, so I'd say drop out at level 6 for Fighter 2, then go Assassin 4, then do whatever you like. 5 critical attacks on a surprise round, or 6 with a bonus action attack (Crossbow Expert)? Yes please.

Corran
2016-09-15, 02:08 PM
@ level 7 you get wisdom save proficiency. So if it were me, I would stick with ranger at least until level 7 if I aimed to multiclass.
Personally, I would aim for ranger 14, to get improved invisibility at 13 and cunning action hide at 14, because I like how these two combine. That works well with either BB, or with GWM/SS. If you are interested in a strong weapon attack, this combination of features is a good way to go about it.
I kind of think that the underdark ranger could make a decent GWM at higher levels, but this is a conversation for another thread.

Nishant
2016-09-15, 02:19 PM
Those work as well, though I'm hoping for a bit of spell versatility, hence the Druid or cleric thought. I like the assassin auto crit, but I don't want to step on too many toes with my group either. I don't want to make the DM have to model encounters based off of /just/ me, despite how tempting it is. So I suppose this would fall under 'light' optimization.

Specter
2016-09-15, 03:51 PM
Those work as well, though I'm hoping for a bit of spell versatility, hence the Druid or cleric thought. I like the assassin auto crit, but I don't want to step on too many toes with my group either. I don't want to make the DM have to model encounters based off of /just/ me, despite how tempting it is. So I suppose this would fall under 'light' optimization.

Got it. Still, even without Assassin, Fighter is pretty good for Action Surge and another fighting style. With AS, you can drop a spell like Spike Growth or Silence in the beginning of combat without wasting a turn on it. Level 3 Eldritch Knight also gives you many goodies, especially Shield.

If Cleric/Druid, I'd go War Cleric, for the occasional bonus action attack. Nature is only good if planning a WIS build. Druid/Ranger, idk, even if the roleplaying synergy is there I can't feel it as improving a ranger too much other than disguising as a beast for infiltration.

Nishant
2016-09-15, 09:41 PM
Got it. Still, even without Assassin, Fighter is pretty good for Action Surge and another fighting style. With AS, you can drop a spell like Spike Growth or Silence in the beginning of combat without wasting a turn on it. Level 3 Eldritch Knight also gives you many goodies, especially Shield.

If Cleric/Druid, I'd go War Cleric, for the occasional bonus action attack. Nature is only good if planning a WIS build. Druid/Ranger, idk, even if the roleplaying synergy is there I can't feel it as improving a ranger too much other than disguising as a beast for infiltration.

Fair enough. The Druid idea was more spell variety. Still considering maybe putting in a level or two in rogue, for the hide on bonus action. The skulker feat wouldn't be bad either.

Any other ideas? I suppose it wouldn't work for my build, but I wonder if people are trying to maximize damage with a half orc's extra crit die. (I assume it'd be too many barbarian levels to fit that in for more crit dice)

Any other feat/ build ideas?

Specter
2016-09-15, 10:07 PM
Fair enough. The Druid idea was more spell variety. Still considering maybe putting in a level or two in rogue, for the hide on bonus action. The skulker feat wouldn't be bad either.

Any other ideas? I suppose it wouldn't work for my build, but I wonder if people are trying to maximize damage with a half orc's extra crit die. (I assume it'd be too many barbarian levels to fit that in for more crit dice)

Any other feat/ build ideas?

Two full build ideas:
Ranger 13/Assassin4/Battlemaster 3: A build I was playing (except Hunter); everything you need to be the stealthiest, deadliest, Naked Snake kinda guy. Best with a ranged build; Lightning Arrow + maneuvers + sneak + favored enemy is very fun.

Ranger 11/Nature Cleric 9: A pure WIS build with Shillelagh. Heavy armor, tons of buffing/healing, resistance to spell damage and that bonus elemental damage.

If going ranged, Sharpshooter is mandatory; if melee, maybe War Caster to cast spells with a shield.