PDA

View Full Version : how does defensive throw work

sage20500
2016-09-15, 03:06 PM
How does defensive throw work exactly? (Complete warrior)
What if i have a dodge replacer like deset wind dodge?

Trying to build a level 8 tripping focussed setting sun swordsage psychic warrior and seeing what feats i can really use.

A_S
2016-09-15, 04:27 PM
How does defensive throw work exactly? (Complete warrior)
What if i have a dodge replacer like deset wind dodge?

Trying to build a level 8 tripping focussed setting sun swordsage psychic warrior and seeing what feats i can really use.
If you have Desert Wind Dodge instead of Dodge, then there is no "opponent you have chosen to receive your AC bonus from the Dodge feat," because you don't have the Dodge feat. Desert Wind Dodge can be treated as Dodge to qualify for things, but it's not the same feat.

If you don't have Dodge, you can't use the benefit of Defensive Throw (you can take the feat by qualifying for it with Desert Wind Dodge, it just doesn't do anything).

If you do have Dodge, then Defensive Throw does exactly what it says. If your Dodge target attacks you and misses, you can make an attack of opportunity against them. That attack of opportunity must be a trip attempt, and gets the benefits of Improved Trip.

InvisibleBison
2016-09-15, 07:16 PM
If you do have Dodge, then Defensive Throw does exactly what it says. If your Dodge target attacks you and misses, you can make an attack of opportunity against them. That attack of opportunity must be a trip attempt, and gets the benefits of Improved Trip.

I don't think the attack that Defensive Throw lets you make is an attack of opportunity. The feat says "you can make an immediate trip attack", not "your opponent provokes an attack of opportunity that you can only respond to with a trip attack" or something. It's a subtle difference, but relevant if either you or your opponent have any abilities that interact with attacks of opportunity (I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I suspect there are some somewhere).

Kelb_Panthera
2016-09-15, 08:42 PM
If you go this way, you might also take a look at the great throw feat in the OA eratta file. Very judo/aikido-esque.

A_S
2016-09-15, 08:53 PM
I don't think the attack that Defensive Throw lets you make is an attack of opportunity. The feat says "you can make an immediate trip attack", not "your opponent provokes an attack of opportunity that you can only respond to with a trip attack" or something. It's a subtle difference, but relevant if either you or your opponent have any abilities that interact with attacks of opportunity (I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I suspect there are some somewhere).
Yeah, I guess you're right. It's just an attack triggered by the actions of your opponent, that you take out of turn, that counts against your attacks of opportunity for the turn.

Go home, 3.5, you're drunk.

sage20500
2016-09-15, 10:34 PM
Ok, so since defensive throw is out for me, what are some other good feats to use that can let me pick up AoO's? I have a 20 dex with combat reflexes, but I only have a Con mod of 14 with d8 HD classes. Currently my hp is 76 at level 8 upon character creation (DM gave us full hd up till 8 and from now on we're rolling for health) so I'm afraid to try and use Karmic Strike since if I take the -4 to ac my ac will be 19 and I don't think I have the health to be able to slug back constantly. As for robilar's gambit I'm no longer going to try and bother grabbing it since it needs a BaB of 12 and since I'm a 3/4ths BaB class I won't be able to pick it up till minimum character level 15.

remetagross
2016-09-15, 10:44 PM
See the master of all AoO's build, Jack B. Quick (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=6944.0). This guy uses a ton of feats and class features geared towards AoOs, so by reading this build you will get quite an extended choice of interesting AoOs-related feats.