PDA

View Full Version : 5e Sage Background Letter

Omalji
2016-09-15, 08:09 PM
I have two players that took the sage background, and both have the letter from a dead colleague. They are both high elves, one a druid, the other a wizard. I have a basic outline for each letter, I just need help fleshing them out. I want the letters to pack an emotional punch to the character that the letter pertains to, while still adding to the campaign. Also, I don't care if the letters have a question or not. So here it goes:

The druid's (let's call her Sue) backstory is that she desperately wanted her parents to be proud of her by following in their footsteps and become a druid as well. However, she was never able to master, or even begin to comprehend the druidic way. Sue was eventually tricked by a hag, whom she sold her soul to in order to become a druid. This of course backfired, though she did become a druid, it cost the forest she lived in, plus her parents lives, and her soul of course. This is the outline (in point form) of what I need to turn into a letter:

The letter is from Sue's parents
They new what was going to happen, and what is to happen
They're sorry that she head to carry the burden of their deaths and that they couldn't tell her what was to come
They don't blame her for their deaths
Their deaths were necessary for her to grow and continue on the path that needed her
They ask her to temper her emotions and to forgive herself
They also tell her that they left a friend to watch over her (at which point her cat will transform into its true form - a large mount)
They're proud of her and love her

The wizard's (Jen) backstory is that she was expelled from her college because she was researching a prophecy that was considered heresy, when she was told to spend her time researching things that were relevant. Her mentor doesn't defend her against her expulsion, and her trust is completely betrayed. So she has set out to follow the signs and try to stop the prophecy from happening. What the player doesn't know is that her mentor, wracked with guilt, started to look into the prophecy as well and has become a true believer. This, however, will lead to his death, at which point Jen will receive the letter from her mentors dying familiar:

The letter is from the wizard that trained her
He discovered that the prophecy was true
He discovered something that would help her in preventing it
That they need to collect the orb shards from the heroes of old
The apostles are after him, and if she got this message that meant he was dead
He's sorry for not believing in her and for not defending her against her expulsion

I'm a first time DM and would really like some help with these letters. Emotions aren't my strong point, I can rile someone up, but when it comes to carrying an emotional punch I have a hard time. Anything helps, thanks

Herobizkit
2016-09-17, 05:23 AM
I would think it's difficult for some players to forge 'emotional ties' to NPCs in their backstory, especially if the DM is insisting on it.

Are the players at all related? IE did they study at the same school/university, under the same tutor, the same specialization?

Here's what I might do.

The letter to 'Sue' is from her mother, explaining that she understood what was to happen and all the stuff you said.

The letter to 'Jen' is from Sue's FATHER. He had a VERY DIFFERENT opinion of what was to happen. His letter is actually to Jen's mentor; he wanted to WARN Jen's mentor of the oncoming disaster and also contained a plea to find someone to stop 'Sue'... but the letter was received too late. But now, depending on Jen's specialization, she's near a magical "fallout" area that is rife with potential research material.

Now the players have a reason to be together, sort of... or at least 'Jen' has a reason to meet 'Sue'.