PDA

View Full Version : Master of Many Forms and Hybrids

Hawkat139
2016-09-16, 08:06 AM
Hey,

First attempt at post, so if this is in the wrong place, please let me know.

So I have been looking at the Master of Many forms for a while now, and I know there are plenty of people that don't like the class, I am more trying to find out about how the far the shape-change goes. I know templates are out, but what about the hybrids? Such as the hybrid forms of lycanthropes. Could a master of many forms with the large wildshape change in to a were bear's hybrid form for example? I have always liked the idea of the were creatures, but didn't want to invest in the monster hit dice and LA to play one.

Another twist on this is the Shen prestige class from Dragon Magazine 319. There are a lot of benefits that a Shen gains in its hybrid forms. Could a Master of Many Forms that also has the Shen prestige class essentially use wild-shape to add the amount of times they can change into their hybrid forms (it is certainly a form they would be familiar with). As

RAW seem to allow for these possibilities, just wanted to get some other opinions.

eggynack
2016-09-16, 08:30 AM
All the lycanthropes are templates. Don't see why one element of a template would stop being a templated creature. MoMF is pretty sweet though. If you check out MM V, a few of the monstrous humanoids, such as the hobgoblin warsoul, there get spellcasting ability that's actually available to the MoMF once you get the extraordinary special qualities of the forms you assume. The spellcasting doesn't really scale, because it's not like there's a vast array of these forms that you can use as you level, but you're basically casting as a 9th level wizard at level 12, and there's a cleric one too.

ShurikVch
2016-09-16, 08:59 AM
Do you know about the Master Transmogrifist PrC?
It's capstone - Infinite Variety - specially made for hybrid forms (except it works with Polymorph, PAO, or Shapechange rather than Wild Shape)

Hawkat139
2016-09-16, 10:39 AM
All the lycanthropes are templates. Don't see why one element of a template would stop being a templated creature. MoMF is pretty sweet though. If you check out MM V, a few of the monstrous humanoids, such as the hobgoblin warsoul, there get spellcasting ability that's actually available to the MoMF once you get the extraordinary special qualities of the forms you assume. The spellcasting doesn't really scale, because it's not like there's a vast array of these forms that you can use as you level, but you're basically casting as a 9th level wizard at level 12, and there's a cleric one too.

I completely forgot they are templates, probably because of my time away from D&D plus the monster hit dice. Thanks for the recommendations though.

Hawkat139
2016-09-16, 10:40 AM
Do you know about the Master Transmogrifist PrC?
It's capstone - Infinite Variety - specially made for hybrid forms (except it works with Polymorph, PAO, or Shapechange rather than Wild Shape)

I know about it, though I hadn't looked at it closely since I was thinking more of a wildshape based build for the character I had in mind. I will look into it though if it works better for my idea. Thanks

Hawkat139
2016-09-21, 07:22 AM
Anyone have any opinions on the hybrid form of the Animal Fist (Shen) Prestige class from Dragon Magazine 319?

"Hybrid form(Su): Once per day at third level with additional uses at 5th, 7th, and 9th level the Shen can transform into a humanoid version of his style's namesake. This transformation requires a standard action provokes attacks of opportunity heals damage equal to a day's rest and lasts 1 minute / 2 class levels. A Shen in hybrid form received a +5 bonus on spot, listen, and survival checks; has low-light vision; and has unarmed attacks considered as magic ghost touch weapons. A Shen in hybrid form can even wrestle spirits and is able to grab and grapple incorporeal creatures. Each animal Shen's hybrid form also has several unique abilities as described in its particular entry."

It is still a humanoid, so it seems like it would be an available option for the Master of Many Forms. No I don't personally think that anything would carry over from the special abilities, with the possible exception of any natural attacks/movement modes, the low light vision, and the bonus.

Any thoughts?

awa
2016-09-22, 12:10 PM
that's a class ability not a race. so no you could not transform into it that's even less plausible then the template.

Hawkat139
2016-09-23, 07:09 AM
that's a class ability not a race. so no you could not transform into it that's even less plausible then the template.

Thanks. As I said it's been a while since I played and I didn't have the time before the game I am joining for a complete refresher, so I figured I'd ask the playground. I am going into a game mid campaign and the DM was going to introduce my character while they are going after a a tribe of lycanthropes. I was hoping to be introduced as more then the token "you find a captive" plot device, so I was looking into ways for my druid/master of many forms to blend in with the pack as a double agent. I thought typical disguise wouldn't pass so I was thinking being able to actually change, similar to a were creature would be believable enough to fool the tribe, however the Shen class feature is minutes per level, not likely to do enough.