PDA

View Full Version : What's your thoughts on the demonic teifling from "the old black magic"

NecroDancer
2016-09-16, 08:34 AM
I find the spell list to be weird but the extra HP is greatly appreciated (especially for a dragon sorcerer build with the tough feat)

Nishant
2016-09-16, 08:29 PM
Whats the source again? Was it a UA?

DragonSorcererX
2016-09-16, 08:32 PM
I find the spell list to be weird but the extra HP is greatly appreciated (especially for a dragon sorcerer build with the tough feat)

It is good, the only problem is that rolling bullsh*t to determine the spell you can cast randomly!

DracoKnight
2016-09-16, 08:54 PM
It is good, the only problem is that rolling bullsh*t to determine the spell you can cast randomly!

How we do it in my group: you roll on the spells that they provide, but you only roll ONCE. The spells you roll are the innate spells you have as a character. We're even thinking about opening it up to rolling on a list of every cantrip and every 1st level spell. It would definitely embrace the chaotic nature of demons and be a heck of a lot of fun for creative players to figure out how to make their spells work for them.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-09-17, 01:14 AM
I love Tieflings, but that whole article looked just about useless to me.

I was quite relieved to see the much superior Tiefling options in SCAG.

NecroDancer
2016-09-18, 12:16 AM

The feral teifling variant is my favorite.

Specter
2016-09-18, 09:02 AM
I would be utterly annoyed by rolling spells every day. We already have Diviner Wizards for that nuisance. DracoKnight's idea seems fun.

DragonSorcererX
2016-09-18, 10:41 AM

I like the Devil's Tongue Tiefling, it is the best to do Bards with that Succubus/Incubus feel.

Specter
2016-09-18, 10:43 AM
I like the Devil's Tongue Tiefling, it is the best to do Bards with that Succubus/Incubus feel.

Yes! I'm playing one right now, and it really saves me spells known, much needed to a Bard.

jnayls
2016-09-18, 11:58 AM
I like it, and I've rolled up a fighter champion3/paladin vengeance X as an abyssal tiefling (a long far descendant of Orcus, complete with goat horns and rotting skin). Rolling the spells is a fun way to mix it up day to day. The cantrips is a little much, so I've just picked Prestidigitation permanently, but the rest works well enough. The extra hp is low though, so I asked and my DM allowed to trade up for the hill dwarf toughness, basically just doubles him up on allowable hp. (A high CON justified by chaos [think Nurgle as a stand in for Orcus, in that death and decay brings about a fight to survive, tenacious to life] Obviously a well backed story is where things can be justified a bit. He was raised on a ship by pirates, and was killing manes sent after him as a child early on. (Hercules mythos, because if you can't use cliches what is the point)

I figure most DM's are pretty lenient if you can back it up with a good story. Mine more so than others maybe.

Who'd've though a demon would make a good Pally?

Addaran
2016-09-18, 09:38 PM

Except in very specific cases ( HP dragon sorcerer build that can have fire resistance anyway) I find that a little HP is far from worth losing resistance to one of the super common damage type.

Joe the Rat
2016-09-19, 10:29 AM

Yes! I'm playing one right now, and it really saves me spells known, much needed to a Bard.

Deviltongue has been great for the Mrs. She got to play her preferred approach (blastlock who can also insult you to death/distraction) straight out of the gate. It'll be interesting to see if she decides to grab the next piece of the equation ("Inspiring" Leadership to insult people into temp HP).

Well yeah, I suppose you could go with the honeyed words and "invigorating" insinuations for more of the corrupter-seducer thing, but that's not how she rolls.

DracoKnight
2016-09-19, 06:57 PM
DracoKnight's idea seems fun.

It works very well for my group ^_^