PDA

View Full Version : A DM that loses everything...

Dean Fellithor
2007-07-09, 02:06 AM
...is putting the Campaign of which I really want to play in storage while he forces us to play his Stone age campaign. I've told him how I've felt about what he is doing, I've told Him how much Time I've spent making my Character, but he just wont listen.

suggestions please?:confused:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-09, 02:13 AM
How does the others feel?

Ask him to run both?

Get another DM to run the other campaign while he runs his stone age campaign, giving him a chance to play also?

Diggorian
2007-07-09, 02:19 AM
Find another game closer to what you want. If possible, transplant the character you worked hard on into it.

If he's a friend, stay friends and find another game closer to what you want. He doesnt want to listen, you dont have to play, nothing personal.

Dean Fellithor
2007-07-09, 02:20 AM
1) How does the others feel?

2) Ask him to run both?

3) Get another DM to run the other campaign while he runs his stone age campaign, giving him a chance to play also?

1) the others wouldn't care, because they always make their characters up on the spot before every campaign.

2) yeah, I would except that would still Include him holding that campaign in storage while he runs the Stone age campaign, he'd have alot of oppertunities to lose it before then.

3) We have a strict rule in our Gamer Group: "Thou shalt not run another's campaigns!"

BTW: the DM lost all of his recent games character sheets during the holidays, he'd have thousands of oppertunities to lose the campaign before we get to the campaign I want to play.

Find another game closer to what you want. If possible, transplant the character you worked hard on into it.

If he's a friend, stay friends and find another game closer to what you want. He doesnt want to listen, you dont have to play, nothing personal.

yeah, He is my best friend at that. He is just very, very stubborn.

Demented
2007-07-09, 02:26 AM
Put the campaign in a lockbox and enshrine it on the mantlepiece?
Then put a few dollars in it "for a rainy day".

No chance it'll ever be lost.

Dean Fellithor
2007-07-09, 02:37 AM
Put the campaign in a lockbox and enshrine it on the mantlepiece?
Then put a few dollars in it "for a rainy day".

No chance it'll ever be lost.

this area: always a rainy day. this area is the white-guy "Ghetto" part of town, we got a hell load of "gangsta's" with jewelry(that right people, It's not stolen, therefore: Not Bling), hot cars and their Football trading cards(click here for Football trading card game (http://llbbl.com/data/RPG-motivational/target178.html)). yes, that's right, there are no other Gaming groups that play D'n'D, only Warhammer 40K (click here for WarHammer 40k game. (http://llbbl.com/data/RPG-motivational/target271.html)).

Lucky
2007-07-09, 02:40 AM
cards(click here for Football trading card game (http://llbbl.com/data/RPG-motivational/target178.html)[/align]
That's not a football trading card game.

Dean Fellithor
2007-07-09, 02:44 AM
That's not a football trading card game.

it's the first thing I could find in the spur of the moment, generally they didn't have anything mocking Australian Football League football cards.

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-09, 02:46 AM
it's the first thing I could find in the spur of the moment, generally they didn't have anything mocking Australian Football Leauge football cards.

What the poop is Australian Football?

Dean Fellithor
2007-07-09, 02:50 AM
What the poop is Australian Football?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Football_League

EDIT: NOW BACK ON TOPIC! :biggrin:

Lord_Kimboat
2007-07-09, 02:56 AM
Hi Fellithor

At the risk of sounding a little cruel, you might just want to give the GM's Stone Age campaign a go. I'm sure you've put a lot of work in on your character but I've never heard of a case where a player put more work in on his character than the GM put in on his campaign. Well . . . actually I have done it myself but it's a bad example.

GMing is work and requires a fair bit of effort and asking a GM to get rid of a campaign he's really keen to run so he can put in a bunch of effort on a campaign he's not that excited about just so a player can play his, albeit well thought out character, . . . well, it's a little much to ask IMHO.

Try giving his Stone Age game a go with an open mind to enjoying yourself with it. If it still turns out lame after, say 8 or 9 sessions. Then talking him about the other campaign.

Dean Fellithor
2007-07-09, 03:02 AM
Hi Fellithor

At the risk of sounding a little cruel, you might just want to give the GM's Stone Age campaign a go. I'm sure you've put a lot of work in on your character but I've never heard of a case where a player put more work in on his character than the GM put in on his campaign. Well . . . actually I have done it myself but it's a bad example.

GMing is work and requires a fair bit of effort and asking a GM to get rid of a campaign he's really keen to run so he can put in a bunch of effort on a campaign he's not that excited about just so a player can play his, albeit well thought out character, . . . well, it's a little much to ask IMHO.

Try giving his Stone Age game a go with an open mind to enjoying yourself with it. If it still turns out lame after, say 8 or 9 sessions. Then talking him about the other campaign.

Don't get me wrong, I am going to play it, otherwise: what else am I gonna do?

but yes, I do believe that I put at least 2% cent more effort in my character than he did into the campaign, infact I came up for a great story for my character that made him go: "Hey, thats really great, where did you come up with that?" and he started to put some of my stuff into his campaign.

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-09, 03:54 AM
Stone Age campaign seems like it has some potential :P I say at least give it a chance.

And try to get that other one back going later if possible.

Koji
2007-07-09, 04:02 AM
Sounds like someone has a case of the work too hards.

What would you have done if your super-ultra-awesome character died in the first round of combat in your old game? Characters are expendable, you'll just have to get used to that.

Dean Fellithor
2007-07-09, 04:09 AM
a list of Ideas that I invented that he put in the campaign:

(1) Ballistas instead of Cannons (he said it was pre-renaisance so: no cannons, I then went and changed the cannons into small Ballistas that required 3 people to operate, as soon as I came back: he allowed it.)
(2)my character being an agent for Ollidimara, who had to serve for 10 years(automatically alloud) but I added a story behind it which he thought was especially awesome, after that He went and bragged to the rest of the group that I was unusually awesome at making back-stories to Pirates.
(3) my Mentor was going to be killed by a Cannon (originally my Idea) in battle, he suggested that he be killed after battle, just when everything was fine. so I thought..."How about a jump into Pirates of the Caribbean 2?" and added a Kraken, who promptly kills my mentor during the after party, then throwing him to a convieniant Island not to far from there, my character then jumps overboard and swims over to that Island, trying save his Mentor: he would Die giving my character a Elvin thin-Blade which was cursed by Oliddimara, but had a blessing (the sword would level up with me).
(4) after the ship was destroyed my fellow party members would come to save me, telling me "The ship was taken down with the beast." but they managed to save enough Loot for all of us to split, we would make it back to the main-land.
(5) me and my fellow Party members would spend some time in the town we left from, when I say that I must leave we give each other gifts of sentimental Importance, then we shake hands, say good bye and agree to meet in the Tavern in 10 years.
(6) I return after 10 years, we meet up in the Tavern and the Campaign starts.

thats what I did, he was going to just have a "You meet in the tavern under mysterious circumstances" campaign...

Dean Fellithor
2007-07-09, 04:13 AM
Sounds like someone has a case of the work too hards.

What would you have done if your super-ultra-awesome character died in the first round of combat in your old game? Characters are expendable, you'll just have to get used to that.

I designed the character so it would only Logically be defeated by the BBEG.

plus the DM is too much of a softy to let us die.

Callix
2007-07-09, 05:03 AM
Carn the doggies. On topic:
Ask for your sheet back. If he's that absent-minded, hold on to your sheet during the recess, or get a photocopy. That way the character can be at worst transplanted into a new setting. It's your character. You get to keep IP, and the DM sounds like he trusts you, for good reason. Ask to keep your sheet or a copy thereof, and he can't lose it.

Dean Fellithor
2007-07-09, 05:16 AM
Carn the doggies. On topic:
Ask for your sheet back. If he's that absent-minded, hold on to your sheet during the recess, or get a photocopy. That way the character can be at worst transplanted into a new setting. It's your character. You get to keep IP, and the DM sounds like he trusts you, for good reason. Ask to keep your sheet or a copy thereof, and he can't lose it.

I'm going to, It's just the back story was designed so it would specificly fit into his World and the fact that the Stone age campaign isnt giving me a spark, because it renders most normal objects absoloutly useless: like gods, Paladin, Clerics, Medieval/Renaisance period weapons(which is a must have), Language (my characters always have points in all languages), Commerce (my characters are civilized and use the coin) and Rogues will now be portrayed as more of a hunting type guy...:furious:

Yiel
2007-07-09, 05:22 AM
Well... one of the DMs I play with I bribe with chocolate, the other I bribe with cake. If you are not willing to move on this issue, I suggest you find his weak spot. (PM me if you need a good cake recipe :smallbiggrin: )

Diggorian
2007-07-09, 05:24 AM
Definately keep your PC sheet. I do this by default, didnt occur to me to suggest it. See if you can "hold on" to his campaign setting too if possible.

Kimboat has a good point. Plus, if your friend isnt motivated to run the campaign you want, it will suck.

So, try the Stone Age campaign. If you're not satisfied, find another game closer to what you want. It's the 21st century, baby! :smallcool: There are far too many opportunities for free online gaming to be limited by geography.

Cultural Correction: Bling need not be stolen to be bling. Ice is ice. Bling is as bling blings.

Kaelaroth
2007-07-09, 05:31 AM
I suggest you keep it calm.... gentle... serene... gol along with his ideas.... peace and love...

THEN SABOTAGE!

Seriously, though, it works. Choose methods of sbaotage that could notp ossibly be attributed to you... like spur of the moment tripping up and destroying ALL of his work! :smallbiggrin: heheheheheehehehheehehee.....

If that seems mean, I sugegst you bribe him with toasty warm cookies.

Or just go along with it. Whatever floats your boat.

Dean Fellithor
2007-07-09, 05:38 AM
I suggest you keep it calm.... gentle... serene... gol along with his ideas.... peace and love...

THEN SABOTAGE!

Seriously, though, it works. Choose methods of sbaotage that could notp ossibly be attributed to you... like spur of the moment tripping up and destroying ALL of his work! :smallbiggrin: heheheheheehehehheehehee.....

If that seems mean, I sugegst you bribe him with toasty warm cookies.

Or just go along with it. Whatever floats your boat.

He could only be Blackmailed or Bribed with either Cash or something of Sentimental value to me...

Leon
2007-07-09, 06:07 AM
...is putting the Campaign of which I really want to play in storage while he forces us to play his Stone age campaign. I've told him how I've felt about what he is doing, I've told Him how much Time I've spent making my Character, but he just wont listen.

suggestions please?:confused:

So you want us to help persuade your DM that he should abandon what he plans to do to meet your whims.

You mention that the rest of the players dont mind what happens - your out voted and the backing of a Forum that isnt part of your gaming group wont help you win

Put you Char Sheet somepalce safe and wait, if he loses the campagin well so be it but that wont stop you from adapting your PC to suit a new setting

Damionte
2007-07-09, 06:56 AM
I feel for you. Your Dm is kinda a twit to me, but you're pretty much out in the cold. Add alt-o-holic DM's are the worst. Unless you yourself are also an ADD alt-o-holic. If he's not interested in the old campaign anymore though then he's not interested. You can't make him play it.

Don't worry about getting back to it. you really won't. Ever.

If you really liked the old character just make the same guy. shoudl emphasize the point the the GM. Make the same guy with the same backstory and the same name, with the same abilities. In 3 weeks when your alt-o-holic GM get's another bug up his patootee and want's to change to a new campaign, make the same guy.

It's not a perfect solution but hey you want to be happy too and an alt o holic GM isn't goign to listen to you anyway.

Dervag
2007-07-09, 07:08 AM
I'm going to, It's just the back story was designed so it would specificly fit into his World and the fact that the Stone age campaign isnt giving me a spark, because it renders most normal objects absoloutly useless: like gods, Paladin, Clerics, Medieval/Renaisance period weapons(which is a must have), Language (my characters always have points in all languages), Commerce (my characters are civilized and use the coin) and Rogues will now be portrayed as more of a hunting type guy...:furious:Why can't there be gods in a stone age campaign?

For that matter, why can't there be cities, or at least large agricultural towns, in a stone age campaign? Sumeria and Egypt were both settled before the invention of bronze, right?

I feel for you. Your Dm is kinda a twit to me, but you're pretty much out in the cold. Add alt-o-holic DM's are the worst. Unless you yourself are also an ADD alt-o-holic. If he's not interested in the old campaign anymore though then he's not interested. You can't make him play it.What does 'alt-o-holic' mean?

Jayabalard
2007-07-09, 07:46 AM
Why can't there be gods in a stone age campaign?

For that matter, why can't there be cities, or at least large agricultural towns, in a stone age campaign? Sumeria and Egypt were both settled before the invention of bronze, right?Sumeria and Egypt became powers during the beginning of the bronze age as they became urbanized into city-states (4th millennium BC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_millennium_BCE)). They were certainly settled before then, but they were hardly what could be called "cities"

What does 'alt-o-holic' mean?Play many characters at the same time, often lower level, rather than a single main character to high level. IIRC the term comes more from MMO's (and probably to a lesser extent older forms of online gaming)

PlatinumJester
2007-07-09, 07:47 AM
Easy Solution: Kill him...with meathooks and crappy Bon Jovi music.

Dean Fellithor
2007-07-09, 08:38 AM
No, Im not an Alt-o-holic. I like playing my characters until Epic(I keep copies of my characters for later games.), and this Character is what I planned to be my "signature character", the one that is [smeagle vioce]"my precious".[/smeagle vioce]

LotharBot
2007-07-09, 04:57 PM
I had a similar experience... the guy who taught me D&D had this bad habit of not DM'ing the same thing for more than 2 months in a row. He'd start a campaign, we'd spend several hours building characters, and then we'd play maybe 6 sessions. Once I designed a really cool and interesting PrC based on my character concept, which he reviewed and tweaked and said I could use. At the end of the next session, he was like "OK, next time, roll up some level 3 characters for another campaign."

At some point, you just have to accept it and move on. Keep the character in the back of your head and be ready to rebuild him in the future. Or just imagine him as if he'd gotten to go through the campaign and win. Either way works.