PDA

View Full Version : Create Thrall Limitless

HoodedHero007
2016-09-16, 11:21 AM
I was just reading over the text of Create Thrall for the GOO Warlock, and I noticed something, there is no mention of a limit of thralls you can make. In theory, this means that you can sneak into an army camp 1 hr after everyone is asleep, and get around 3600 thralls every night (assuming you leave 1 hour before each long rest is over). This allows you to get an army in just a couple days, booyah! (leaving aside any other contingencies)

Fable Wright
2016-09-16, 11:26 AM
I was just reading over the text of Create Thrall for the GOO Warlock, and I noticed something, there is no mention of a limit of thralls you can make. In theory, this means that you can sneak into an army camp 1 hr after everyone is asleep, and get around 3600 thralls every night (assuming you leave 1 hour before each long rest is over). This allows you to get an army in just a couple days, booyah! (leaving aside any other contingencies)

Well, no. The humanoid is charmed until you next use Create Thrall, basically limiting you to one at a time. You can sneak into an army camp after everyone is sleep, and then wake up 3600 people and walk out with exactly one of them as your friend.

EvilAnagram
2016-09-16, 12:11 PM
Well, no. The humanoid is charmed until you next use Create Thrall, basically limiting you to one at a time. You can sneak into an army camp after everyone is sleep, and then wake up 3600 people and walk out with exactly one of them as your friend.

And that's a friend, mind you. Create Thrall does not make mindless servants. It simply gives you advantage on Charisma checks against them.

So sneak into the camp and use it on the general, then talk him into supporting your own claim to the throne when he wakes up.

Segev
2016-09-16, 01:12 PM
Yeah, the "thrall" label is extremely misleading.

SharkForce
2016-09-16, 01:29 PM
also, it doesn't really even say it makes them friendly. all it does is keep them from attacking you. there isn't even any language in the charm condition to keep them from acting directly against your interests, for example by sounding an alarm, so long as they don't actually attack you.

create thrall really needs fixing.

HoodedHero007
2016-09-16, 02:25 PM
You also have advantage on social checks, and with time, you can make them fight for you

Dalebert
2016-09-16, 02:29 PM
You also have advantage on social checks, and with time, you can make them fight for you

Or you could just have a party member assist you and get advantage on social checks that way. It's pretty weak.

odigity
2016-09-16, 02:48 PM
Create Thrall sucks. Awakened Mind being limited to one-way communication sucks.

I love the flavor of GOO Warlocks, but the RAW are awful.

Dalebert
2016-09-17, 01:26 AM
Create Thrall sucks. Awakened Mind being limited to one-way communication sucks.

I love the flavor of GOO Warlocks, but the RAW are awful.

I couldn't agree more. One of my first characters was a Goolock and I contemplated and explored all this. My DM insisted he would buff Create Thrall to be more in line with the title. When I'm DMing, a goolock's telepathy is two-way and Create Thrall is stronger than Charm Person. It's not total mindless puppet strong, but it's strong.

Nemenia
2016-09-17, 10:46 AM
I have an entire thread dedicated to talking about buffing Create thrall, because it's so useless. Trust me, it isn't worth it