PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Golarion character help - Psychic Varisian

Talya
2016-09-16, 11:53 AM
I'm not terribly familiar with the setting, and am looking for synergistic ideas:

Occult Adventures campaign.
Possibly splitting time between Nidal and Ustalav. Very little combat expected (though the occasional murder is a possibility).

Character concept -
"middle-aged" (35ish) Varisian Level 8 Psychic (Rebirth Discipline).
She's a nomadic caravan matriarch, spent her career mostly conning muggles out of their money (you often don't need to use actual psychic abilities to do this). Complete with crystal ball and harrow deck and such.

I'm picking many of her abilities for flavor, rather than mechanics.

For instance, I know dumping strength all the way down to 6 would be good here, but I don't want her to be that much of a weakling. 8 is not a lot better, but my mental image of it is.

What I've got so far:
Traits: Harrow-chosen, Dangerously Curious
Feats: Considering Varisian tattoo, but i'm no sure which school of magic would be best for the spell focus/caster level bump. That's all I've really got so far.
Phrenic Amps: Relentless Casting, Overpowering Mind, Will of the Dead

What I want:
Flavorful feats (or traits, I can always take additional traits)
Spells. The non-combat nature of the campaign changes my approach to this, i'm not optimizing for dueling or the battlefield, but for out of combat social fun, intrigue (anything good in the Intrigue book?) and utility. Not that I won't have one or two means of killing you with my brain (i'm really partial to mind thrust), but it's not the focus here.
Ideas for past lives. At least one of these ideas should take into account a great spellcasting list for Mnemonic Esoterica, but the point is, once again, character background story hooks.

Psyren
2016-09-19, 04:16 PM
I don't know much about Varisia I'm afraid (nor Nidal and Ustalav for that matter) so I can't really help with the concept. Have you read CTP's Psychic Handbook? (https://docs.google.com/document/d/19ucZQWoJVw02H_7uyEeGrex4A-MgVRzfz1f-yUjG9uQ/edit)

Secret Wizard
2016-09-19, 06:25 PM
A cute thing Psychics can do is focus on Divination spells without giving up combat potency because Mind Thrust is a divination school spell. So you could lean towards that.

Worshipping Pharasma to pick up Messenger of Fate feat, Fortune Teller feat on a harrow deck, Diviner's Delving feat...