PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Mid level EK Questions

TheUser
2016-09-16, 01:44 PM
Planning a mid-high level Eldritch Knight for Rise of Tiamat (Half-Orc with Great Axe, GWF and Savage Attacks to combo with Hold Person for massive action surge rounds).

First question is to deal with breaking up attacks and action surges.

If I were to use the attack action after level 11, attack one out of three times (to cause disadvantage on saves), Action Surge to Hold person, should I still be permitted to use the remaining two attacks from my previous action?

The second is after reaching level 13 the class kind of falls off a bit in my eyes; waiting 8 more levels to get another attack feels "meh." More uses of indomitable/action surge and some fluff ASI's doesn't feel worth the levels .

I'm thinking MC into Wizard since Barbarian shuts down casting/concentration. Any other good options?

PeteNutButter
2016-09-16, 01:56 PM
Wizard is the obvious choice.

In the unlikely event you have another mental stat at 13 sorcerer 3 adds quicken which is great on melee builds. Quicken that hold person instead of action surge, and hit with 5 auto crits and one normal attack.

Paladin 2 will let you smite with your melee attacks, and give access to some decent buffs. Cleric does the same.

It all depends on your stats and what you want to do. If you are point buy, Id go with wizard. 6 levels of enchanter is actually quite devastating on a melee character. Abjurer is common, but usually dips out of fighter much earlier. Diviners are always good as well.

Specter
2016-09-16, 01:58 PM
Planning a mid-high level Eldritch Knight for Rise of Tiamat (Half-Orc with Great Axe, GWF and Savage Attacks to combo with Hold Person for massive action surge rounds).

First question is to deal with breaking up attacks and action surges.

If I were to use the attack action after level 11, attack one out of three times (to cause disadvantage on saves), Action Surge to Hold person, should I still be permitted to use the remaining two attacks from my previous action?

The second is after reaching level 13 the class kind of falls off a bit in my eyes; waiting 8 more levels to get another attack feels "meh." More uses of indomitable/action surge and some fluff ASI's doesn't feel worth the levels .

I'm thinking MC into Wizard since Barbarian shuts down casting/concentration. Any other good options?

You're in the right path!

About your first question, no. Once you stop attacking, it's as if you gave up the rest of the action. The key is to attempt Hold Person in the second turn.

You're right, waiting for a 4th attack isn't worth it, especially considering you may never reach level 20. After level 12 (or 13, if you really want Fireball/Counterspell), you can go either Wizard (for a broader spell selection and Portent/Arcane Ward) or Sorcerer (to grab Quickened Spell and lay waste to the battlefield). Or maybe something else entirely, depending on your stats.

Great Weapon Master is a great feat, because it will give you another attack when you crit.

TheUser
2016-09-16, 02:23 PM
You're in the right path!

About your first question, no. Once you stop attacking, it's as if you gave up the rest of the action. The key is to attempt Hold Person in the second turn.

You're right, waiting for a 4th attack isn't worth it, especially considering you may never reach level 20. After level 12 (or 13, if you really want Fireball/Counterspell), you can go either Wizard (for a broader spell selection and Portent/Arcane Ward) or Sorcerer (to grab Quickened Spell and lay waste to the battlefield). Or maybe something else entirely, depending on your stats.

Great Weapon Master is a great feat, because it will give you another attack when you crit.

GWM already part of the plan :D

Lollerabe
2016-09-17, 05:02 AM
If I can chime in - DONT go for savage attacker it's a horrible feat, a straight strength bump is better and GWM is way better. I'm serious don't do it, it's a trick option.

Specter
2016-09-17, 11:02 AM
If I can chime in - DONT go for savage attacker it's a horrible feat, a straight strength bump is better and GWM is way better. I'm serious don't do it, it's a trick option.

He means the half-orc ability, not the feat.

TheUser
2016-09-17, 11:39 AM
He means the half-orc ability, not the feat.

Good ol' WotC naming one ability "Savage Attacks" and another named "Savage Attacker"