PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [UA] Magic Whip Rogue Multiclass

Mocpages
2016-09-16, 03:02 PM
Ok, so I wanted to throw this out there. The Shadow Sorcerer lets you cast Darkness at level two (Since you dont actually HAVE sorcery points at 1). In fact, unless my math is badly off, they can cast Darkness NINE TIMES per long rest! And they can see THROUGH that darkness!
Well, I thought to myself, let's do that with an assassin! Awesome!
Then I had the idea of using a whip, saw how bad a whip was, but thought... A reach weapon would be AWESOME for this build! And, scrolling up in the underdark UA, I saw the "Tunnel Fighter" fighting style and figured that would be amazing as well. Of course, neither rogues nor sorcerers GET a fighting style, so I thought I could dip a level into ranger.

Then I saw a better idea: two levels in Paladin get me Smite and two more spell slots, as well as a good amount of HP and a fighting style! Since I believe spell slots are interchangeable between classes via sorcery points, I can spam Smite or use darkness many times a day. For race, variant human lets me take Sentinel at level one.
Ability scores would be Dex, Char, Wis, Str, Con, Int, since I need a str of 13 or higher to multiclass Paladin.
Thief would probably be the best Rogue archetype for one reason: Use Object as a bonus action. With a whip.
Final level would be Shadow Sorcerer 2 / Paladin 2 / Thief 16

Corran
2016-09-16, 04:18 PM
You cannot take a bonus action with use object to attack with a whip, that is an attack.

Regarding your initial idea, but putting aside tunnel fighter as imo it is too silly, this is the core idea of my favourite assassin build (though mine uses a scimitar -refluffed rapier is we require strict optimization- instead of a whip, purely for style reasons). And this build is vhuman paladin2/assassin3/shadow sorc14/warlock1. If you are interested in an assassin build that utilizes magic (especially shadow sorc stuff), and has a couple of gimmicks up its sleeve, then have a more in depth look at that.

Mocpages
2016-09-16, 04:43 PM
Not to attack with it, but to use it to interact with objects at a distance. Pull levers, yank doors shut, swing across chasms... As a bonus action.

JackPhoenix
2016-09-17, 12:13 AM
Not to attack with it, but to use it to interact with objects at a distance. Pull levers, yank doors shut, swing across chasms... As a bonus action.

Assuming the DM allows it. There's no good reason why he shouldn't, but you can't use whip for that by RAW.