PDA

View Full Version : Invisibility and Alternative Actions: Maximizing Durations

RickAllison
2016-09-16, 06:21 PM
Invisibility is an insanely useful second-level spell that lasts an hour, but it unfortunately breaks upon either attacking or casting a spell. But surely there are many things outside of those two actions that can also be used to great effect in combat, right? That's what this thread is for. Some examples:

Panache, the Swashbuckler's level 9 ability. It only requires the target be able to hear the user (not see) and share a language. So long as you share a language, the invisible Swashbuckler can make every creature within 60 ft have disadvantage against your allies while still having disadvantage against the rogue. Combine it with some downtime for more languages and be the Invisible Insulter!

Use Item. Combine your wonderful invisibility with caltrops, oil, and other such equipment that doesn't make an attack, but still screws with your enemies.

Call Lightning. So long as someone else casts Invisibility on you, you have ten minutes of lightning-launching while invisible. Awesome. Go into a war zone and fry people while unseen!

Others?

Tanarii
2016-09-16, 09:02 PM
Technically, Witch Bolt after the initial attack. Either Sorc quicken Invisibilty on the second round, or have someone else cast on you after your initial attack.

Why anyone would want to choose to prepare/know Witch Bolt in the first place, I can't say ...

NNescio
2016-09-16, 09:09 PM
Technically, Witch Bolt after the initial attack. Either Sorc quicken Invisibilty on the second round, or have someone else cast on you after your initial attack.

Why anyone would want to choose to prepare/know Witch Bolt in the first place, I can't say ...

A quickened Invis will still break the Witch Bolt though, as both require concentration.

Invisibility is an insanely useful second-level spell that lasts an hour, but it unfortunately breaks upon either attacking or casting a spell. But surely there are many things outside of those two actions that can also be used to great effect in combat, right? That's what this thread is for. Some examples:

Panache, the Swashbuckler's level 9 ability. It only requires the target be able to hear the user (not see) and share a language. So long as you share a language, the invisible Swashbuckler can make every creature within 60 ft have disadvantage against your allies while still having disadvantage against the rogue. Combine it with some downtime for more languages and be the Invisible Insulter!

Use Item. Combine your wonderful invisibility with caltrops, oil, and other such equipment that doesn't make an attack, but still screws with your enemies.

Call Lightning. So long as someone else casts Invisibility on you, you have ten minutes of lightning-launching while invisible. Awesome. Go into a war zone and fry people while unseen!

Others?

Cast Invis on the party Cleric with Spirit Guardians up just for the lolfactor. Good for intimidating mooks though.

Tanarii
2016-09-16, 09:12 PM
A quickened Invis will still break the Witch Bolt though, as both require concentration.

Doh. Witch Bolt is like True Strike ... no matter how you try to game it into usefulness, it just comes up all bad. :smallamused:

odigity
2016-09-16, 11:35 PM
Doh. Witch Bolt is like True Strike ... no matter how you try to game it into usefulness, it just comes up all bad. :smallamused:

It's true.

When I first discovered Witch Bolt, I loved it for the awesome flavor. I tried as hard as I could to design a build and scenarios where it would be tactical acceptable to use, and simply could not. If you care even slightly about optimal choices, you simply cannot defend choosing or using this spell. :(

No, not even combining it with BB makes it cool. I don't know why people keep suggesting. 1d12 for not moving is not anything worth caring about.

RickAllison
2016-09-16, 11:53 PM

To be fair, I included an example in the OP (Call Lightning) that does require someone else to cast Invisibility...