PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Could Constitution ever be justified for a means to make physical attacks?

dropbear8mybaby
2016-09-16, 08:15 PM
I know there was a weird, system-based justification for attacks being made with various ability scores in 4e, but I'm talking specifically about 5e and how it has a very clear divide between physical and spell attacks.

How could Constitution be used to justify being used for physical attacks in 5e?

One option I've considered is for grappling. Wrestlers, and I'm not talking about WWE here but genuine wrestling, develop a type of muscle that is conducive to hard grinding physical activity. A decorated wrestler, even if of lower muscle mass, will own a muscle-bound gym-junkie. So while the gym-man-boy will hit a lot harder, be able to throw a rock further, or carry more gear, the wrestler can outwork them any time of any day of the week.

Any other thoughts, options, ideas?

zeek0
2016-09-17, 05:38 AM
I could imagine a blood-knight or life-force sacrifice scenario, wherein the warrior sacrifices their health so that their attacks can be based around Con or add Con. Or just some magic thing that bases attack strength around life energy, no sacrifice needed.

Or perhaps a more dreadful scenario, where thej warrior breaks their own body to make more devastating strikes. Then they heal later(?).

The problem with any homebrew that allows Con for attacks is that it makes that character just pump Con. Con is a good saving throw, boosts HP, and is good for spellcasters. There would be no need for another stat, especially if you use armor instead of Dex. A class would need to be dependent on other attributes to make it reasonable.

R.Shackleford
2016-09-20, 02:05 PM
I know there was a weird, system-based justification for attacks being made with various ability scores in 4e, but I'm talking specifically about 5e and how it has a very clear divide between physical and spell attacks.

How could Constitution be used to justify being used for physical attacks in 5e?

One option I've considered is for grappling. Wrestlers, and I'm not talking about WWE here but genuine wrestling, develop a type of muscle that is conducive to hard grinding physical activity. A decorated wrestler, even if of lower muscle mass, will own a muscle-bound gym-junkie. So while the gym-man-boy will hit a lot harder, be able to throw a rock further, or carry more gear, the wrestler can outwork them any time of any day of the week.

Any other thoughts, options, ideas?

Really, strength doesn't make a lot of sense for attacks.

Yes, the stronger you are the faster you can be and the more powerful but... I've seen plenty of really strong people miss when they try to punch someone.

Actually attacking someone has so much to do with the mental side of things that the actual attack roll shouldn't just be just strength.

Strength and Constitution can meld together, depending on how tou explain it.

So yeah.

Though I like a three point ability score system.

Fortitude: Ability/Will to live. HP isn't just meat in D&D and represents endurance, meat, luck, and other random stuff. This is Constitution and Charisma.

Reflex: Ability to use one's body. This is a mixture of Strength and Dexterity. You need both power and agility to hit and make the hit count.

Will: Ability to use one's mind. This is a mixture of Intelligence and Wisdom.

Take these three and then pull up a skill System and have the skills be your "ability scores" for the fluff of your character.

You are strong if you take Athletics. You are smart if you take Arcana or history. Etc...

lunaticfringe
2016-09-20, 04:09 PM
Maybe make it an option with heavy weapons? Seems like you would need endurance to master one. The problem is that you are further devaluing Strength. Strength is only good for for nonfinesse melee weapons & athletics and breaking out of things. You can use Dex in most cases for all those things (Finesse Weapons, Acrobatics, Dex Saves to wiggle free) + you can get a bonus to your AC & Initiative.

dropbear8mybaby
2016-09-20, 05:38 PM
Really, strength doesn't make a lot of sense for attacks.

From the damage side of the equation it does, but yeah, I'm an MMA fan and we see time and time again that the big, muscle-bound dudes tend to be one-dimensional, "You're going down... IF I hit you," types, while the dexterous, mentally tough and adaptable fighters tend to dominate. Timing, speed, skill, accuracy > power.

Then again, some dudes hit so damned hard that when they do hit, they knock their opponent into the next dimension.

Pivotal
2016-09-20, 06:24 PM
That seems hard. The only attack I see that you can do with constitution is breath attacks.