PDA

View Full Version : Elf subrace variants?

ES Curse
2016-09-16, 10:01 PM
I've been thinking: What if the elf subraces were more consistent with each other in terms of what they got? For my purposes, I'm basing everything off the High Elf.

Wood Elf: Replace Mask of the Wild with "You know one cantrip from the Druid spell list, Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for this spell"
Drow: The Dancing Lights cantrip is replaced with one cantrip from the Warlock spell list chosen at character creation. Charisma is still the spellcasting ability for this spell.

I'm also interested in seeing how you guys would tweak the subraces based on Wood Elves or Drow.

EvilAnagram
2016-09-16, 10:06 PM
I actually prefer the Wood Elf's Mask of the Wild to any druid cantrip.

DracoKnight
2016-09-17, 02:24 AM
I actually prefer the Wood Elf's Mask of the Wild to any druid cantrip.

Me as well. The elves are fine. They're all unique. Making them all the same makes them...boring.

Corran
2016-09-17, 02:39 AM
I agree that making the subraces so similar would probably be a bad decision.

I was thinking at some point of changing the wood elf's fleet of foot racial trait from adding 5 feet of movement to just ignoring ''natural'' difficult terrain.

Specter
2016-09-17, 12:39 PM
Those who build wood elves are usually druids, rangers, rogues or monks. The last three will prefer Mask of the Wild to any druid cantrip, and druids... well, they have them.

hymer
2016-09-17, 12:42 PM
I've gone in the opposite direction in a sense. I let the high elves of my current campaign choose their cantrip from any list, except warlock. They still get +1 int.

DracoKnight
2016-09-17, 12:45 PM
I've gone in the opposite direction in a sense. I let the high elves of my current campaign choose their cantrip from any list, except warlock. They still get +1 int.

I would love playing a high elf in your campaign then... A high elf with vicious mockery is basically Sherlock, insulting everyone through his calculating intelligence rather than his charisma.

hymer
2016-09-17, 01:01 PM
I would love playing a high elf in your campaign then... A high elf with vicious mockery is basically Sherlock, insulting everyone through his calculating intelligence rather than his charisma.

Well, the casting stat is still appropriate to the spell list, so it wouldn't quite gel, I'm afraid. :smallwink: That said, there's always room for one more. We play in Odense, Denmark.