PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5th Edition Warlock Patron: Elemental Power

Foxhound438
2016-09-16, 10:35 PM
Name WIP

Some of you may remember from a long-*** time ago I posted a warlock patron here titled the "ghost tree", in which the thread ended in a disagreement on how to make the 1st level ability work. My original idea was to allow warlocks of the patron use charisma in place of dexterity for AC, while others said to make it a CHA-based unarmored defense.

After some retrospect, I see problems with both.

The problem with mine is that for an already super-SAD class, making another stat key exclusively off of their casting stat is basically free parking for them, while the intent was to make single-classed strength warlocks more viable. Although the end AC of such a warlock would be unchanged, the fact that you could effectively get double value from ASI's as a pure CHA character would be far too valuable to be balanced with other classes.

Meanwhile, the Unarmored Defense approach gives a different issue- On a class that already probably wants CHA for damage and DEX for AC, this would end up giving you an end AC of 20, no strings attached, while still posing the issue of double value ASI's early on (even worse here, as starting AC would be 16 compared to the other option starting at 15).

The solution that I have come up with is kind of a decent side grade (hopefully) early on, while later on its power level never increases to outpace the fighters in AC. Tell me if you think it's busted, I'm sure someone will.

I want some feedback on this now because I plan to offer it in a campaign I will be running sometime early next year, involving some inter-planar interface mix-ups which result in a war between Fey and Elements. This won't be directly relevant to the story until a ways in, and hopefully if someone picks it I can totally use that to completely f*** over the par- i mean tie characters into plot events... yeah, that one.

Hardened Skin
Starting at 1st level, your skin begins to harden and become wood-like in appearance. You are always under the effect of a Barkskin spell. The effect can be suppressed through the use of a dispel magic spell or other similar effect. This suppression lasts until you finish a short or long rest.

Natural Camouflage
Starting at 6th level, using your action, you can change your appearance to be similar to natural plants in the area that you’re in, and difficult to distinguish from those plants. A successful intelligence (investigation) check against your warlock spell save DC can determine that you aren’t a plant, but otherwise you are considered hidden to them until you move or take an action. Creatures have advantage on the check if you aren’t in an area that plants would normally grow, or areas where a plant normally wouldn’t be able to take root. (Such as on a solid rock with no cracks through which roots would extend.) Creatures looking at you when you use this feature will know you aren't a plant without needing to make an ability check.
Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Shield of Thorns
Starting at 10th level, whenever a creature within 5 feet of you hits you with a melee weapon attack, you can use your reaction to sprout wooden spines from your skin in the vicinity of the hit. The creature that hit you must make a dexterity saving throw, taking 1d6 + your charisma modifier piercing damage on a failed save.

Absorb Life
Starting at the 14th level, you can use your action to attempt to entrench spectral roots into a creature that you touch. The creature must make a constitution saving throw against your warlock spell save DC or be grappled by you and restrained for one minute. While grappled this way, the creature takes 5d6 necrotic damage on the start of each of its turns as the roots sap moisture from them, and you regain half that much HP. At the end of its turn, it repeats the saving throw, ending the effect on a success. Any attempt by a creature to physically force you and your target apart requires a successful Strength (athletics) check against your warlock spell save DC, rather than an ability check contested by your or your target's ability check. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Expanded Spell List
1)Hail of Thorns, Entangle
2)Spike Growth, Locate Animals or Plants
3)Speak with Plants, Plant Growth
4)Stoneskin, Grasping Vine
5)Awaken, Tree Stride