PDA

View Full Version : Building Samurai Jack

TheCrowing1432
2016-09-17, 01:04 AM
So Ive been watching Samurai Jack in preparation for the continuation thats coming sometime (hopefully soon) and of course my thoughts turn to DND and how I could attempt to recreate him.

The problem is, Jack is so....versatile. Hes more then just a guy with a katanna, he has many skills to be a self sustaining adventurer.

Hes mastered various weapons and martial arts, hes a good thinker and strategist and he has a lot of survival skills in tracking, hunting and stealth.

Is there anyway to at least attempt a passable recreation of Jack on the 3.5 tabletop?

Malroth
2016-09-17, 01:35 AM
I'm thinking Factotum/Swordsage into Legacy Champion is probably the best 3.5 Jack fit, he does a whole lot of cool stuff but most of it seems to be mostly Martial.

TheCrowing1432
2016-09-17, 01:55 AM
I'm thinking Factotum/Swordsage into Legacy Champion is probably the best 3.5 Jack fit, he does a whole lot of cool stuff but most of it seems to be mostly Martial.

How deep into Factorum?

Yogibear41
2016-09-17, 02:07 AM
Gestalt Monk20/OA Samurai 20

Jack has no magic other than his sword, he is good at hand to hand when he has to be, fights with no armor, has high mobility from both base speed and skills such as jump climb and tumble.
Apparently also has amazing saves, because no matter how super bad Aku is he can never kill him so clearly Jack always makes his saving throws.

Sword-sage has to many "magical" abilities to represent what Jack can do.

I suppose you could throw something in that has Mettle, or the class from OA that gives you your wisdom bonus to attack and damage as well those would both fit.

Canine
2016-09-17, 08:01 AM
Tome of Battle should have everything you need. I'm away from book, but I think Diamond Mind and Iron Heart would be the core, to get you Iron Heart Surge, strong single strikes, and Concentration Checks replacing saving throws. I havn't watched Jack in a while, but I don't recall much that would require Shadow Hand, but honestly almost any discipline could be justified.

You'll probably want levels in two classes from ToB to make it easier to get the right maneuvers. The Crusader's delayed damage pool and Mettle abilities feel right for Jack, so does the Swordsage's Wis bonus when lightly armored. Warblade also works well, and has the right discipline selection, which Crusader does not. ToB gives you a wealth of options, which is a good problem to have.

Seppo87
2016-09-17, 09:24 AM
1- Pathfinder
2- Slayer Class
3- ????
4- Profit

Prime32
2016-09-17, 09:27 AM

[...]

Sword-sage has to many "magical" abilities to represent what Jack can do.
:smallconfused:

Monks can teleport, heal themselves, turn intangible, halt the aging process, punch things that are immune to normal weapons, ignore disease and poison, speak in a mystical voice that any being can understand, and have a touch of death that lets them will people to die by thinking about them. They also get exclusive access to feats which let them do things like control fire, turn invisible, shoot blasts of ki energy, or revert shapeshifters to their natural form. A 20th level monk like the one in your build isn't even human any more, but has transcended their mortal body to become a sort of tangible soul.

Swordsages can... study magic weapons and armor to figure out what they do. Apart from that they don't have any supernatural powers unless you specifically build them for it (and even then their options are more limited than monk's).
Disciplines like Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw have plenty of maneuvers that are right up Jack's alley.

martixy
2016-09-17, 09:48 AM

What Prime said. Also, you're falling into the trap of making him a L20 character. As we've established, this is usually a fallacy.

I'd peg him at about 11-ish Swordsage(He's used the Hearing the Air stance at least once in the series).
Setting sun is definitely also part of his repertoire.

Eladrinblade
2016-09-17, 11:00 AM
I'd peg him at about 11-ish Swordsage(He's used the Hearing the Air stance at least once in the series).
Setting sun is definitely also part of his repertoire.

This, but unarmed swordsage. Still fights with a sword, and can still wear armor with no penalty (as long as the ACP is 0).

Maybe with a level of ranger for track and bow proficiency. Favored Enemy (robot) or (whatever aku is).

TheCrowing1432
2016-09-17, 01:06 PM
This, but unarmed swordsage. Still fights with a sword, and can still wear armor with no penalty (as long as the ACP is 0).

Maybe with a level of ranger for track and bow proficiency. Favored Enemy (robot) or (whatever aku is).

Aku is a demon

So it looks like the general Consensus is tome of battle, using the warblade/crusader with the diamond mind, iron heart and tiger claw schools.

All these sound good to me, but the question is, how many of each should I have?

martixy
2016-09-17, 03:54 PM
Aku is a demon

So it looks like the general Consensus is tome of battle, using the warblade/crusader with the diamond mind, iron heart and tiger claw schools.

All these sound good to me, but the question is, how many of each should I have?

Unarmed and setting sun are also big parts of his combat style.

He only draws his sword, if he really has to.

Setting sun is swordsage-exclusive.

So no, the general consensus is exactly NOT (warblade/crusader).

You could dip Warblade for Iron Heart, but I'd really stick to Swordsage with Diamond Mind/Setting Sun.
Like 9-ish Swordsage, 2-3 Warblade. After you can potentially try Master of Nine.

dascarletm
2016-09-17, 06:21 PM
Snip
speak in a mystical voice that any being can understand
Snip

Almost everyone does seem to understand him.... :smalltongue:

TheCrowing1432
2016-09-17, 08:50 PM
Unarmed and setting sun are also big parts of his combat style.

He only draws his sword, if he really has to.

Setting sun is swordsage-exclusive.

So no, the general consensus is exactly NOT (warblade/crusader).

You could dip Warblade for Iron Heart, but I'd really stick to Swordsage with Diamond Mind/Setting Sun.
Like 9-ish Swordsage, 2-3 Warblade. After you can potentially try Master of Nine.

Sounds pretty good to me, actually.

Problem is Swordsage isnt full bab.

martixy
2016-09-17, 09:18 PM
Ultimately it that's important to you, feel free to go with warblade. It diverges somewhat from the fluff goal, but it doesn't destroy the concept.

Usually attack is easy to boost, so you're unlikely to have trouble hitting, and you only need 3 levels in a full-BAB class to get all 4 iterative attacks. But if BAB is important to you, I assume you're aiming for full attacks, so you'll also need to find ways to reliably deliver them as well.