PDA

View Full Version : You are the Apocalypse: Battle of the Harbor

Inevitability
2016-09-17, 02:29 PM
What better to accompany an epic fight than some epic music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjjWCCYcUZc)?

The Empire of Salt, greatest of all southern nations. It has withstood assaults from barbaric dwarves, crafty kobolds, sly gnomes, a power-hungry dragon and more. Yet at the moment, the threats it faces may very well be its end.

Outside its capital's walls, a titanic monster is rampaging. Arrows nor flames harm it, and many have already been slain by it.

Somewhere on the wall, a strange being lurks. Its mind is sharper than any mortal's, its movements defter. The being has slain many, too, but its murders are less random, more calculated.

For the briefest of moments, the two killers meet each other's gaze, and realize what they're looking at.

Darkova: [roll0]
Malkarim: [roll1]
Guards: 20 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21213232&postcount=92)

For a moment, Darkova could see Malkarim, but this effect has ended. Darkova knows Malkarim's position, but the latter can just move away.

Also, you can put your actions in spoiler brackets if you'd like to.

Demented Dragon
2016-09-18, 01:21 AM
Malkarim chants to his god, covering his blade in darkness then promptly dashes off to hide

Casting deeper darkness on main hand weapon then using hide in plain sight and moving away

for hide
[roll]1d20+21 for move silently

Have darkstalker to hide from special senses

Inevitability
2016-09-18, 04:13 AM
Malkarim, now cloaked in shadows, hides.

You probably didn't read the spoiler, so here's something you should know: your enemy has Darkstalker and will therefore not be automatically noticed by Tremorsense, Scent or other such senses.

At the moment, Malkarim's location is unknown.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-18, 08:00 AM
"Heh"
Darkova sneers and begins to fade, exuding darkness even as his fur ripples and changes colour to match the surrounding terrain

First thing
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Doubt I'll find anything, but I might get lucky

Secondly, Darkova uses one of three daily activations of the Shadowy Diadem, granting concealement (and another effect that won't come into play unless Malkarim is playing dirty pool, immmunity to energy drain)[swift action]
He then uses hide in plain sight
hide [roll2]
move silently [roll3]

lastly, Darkova moves towards the wall with intent to climb
[double move] 25+25, potentially up a wall
climb if needed = 29 (taking 10)

635: alright, we'll settle this like penguins cockroaches (http://theglen.livejournal.com/89715.html)

Inevitability
2016-09-18, 08:35 AM
Darkova disappears in the dim evening shadows. This seems to confuse the guards higher up the wall.

"Is it... is it gone?"
"I... did anyone see where it went? Maybe it jumped into the water?"
"I didn't hear a splash, though. Maybe it turned invisible?"
"Yes, the elephant-sized monster obviously turned invisible. How did I miss something that obvious? Oh sorry, I meant to say 'moronic' there."
"Well you're not coming up with anything better, are you?"
"So... should we send a messenger to the palace? As far as the empress knows, we're still under attack. I'm guessing we don't need reinforcements anymore?"
"Out of interest: are all monster attacks like this? Do they surface, crush some buildings and disappear again? I expected something less boring when I joined the guard."

Darkova digs its claws in the wall and, in defiance of all logic and gravity, slowly and sneakily begins to move upwards. It manages to get about 2/3rds of the way.

Despite its keen senses, the location of its prey remains unknown. Whatever it's up against is at least as stealth as Darkova itself.

Malkarim sees the giant monster suddenly disappear.

I rolled your MS check for you, the result was 34.

This entire battle is just going to consist of Darkova and Malkarim hiding and failing to spot each other, isn't it? :smalltongue:

Also, Darkova apparently has a higher Hide modifier than Malkarim (+28 to +24). What.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-18, 08:54 AM
probably, Darkova relies on tremorsense/scent a fair amount due to low skill ranks, so darkstalker shuts him down pretty hard.
But yeah, darkova's hide is really good, it's kind of a side effect of most of the inherited templates providing a hide bonus. It's not gonna get much better though, his size increases will keep it pretty static.

Demented Dragon
2016-09-18, 11:58 AM
Malkarim walks in silence, weapons drawn, searching for the creature

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Inevitability
2016-09-18, 12:12 PM
Neither sight nor sound reveals the location of Malkarim's enemy.

Oh god, I was right.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-20, 02:12 AM
is it my turn or still Malkarim's?

Inevitability
2016-09-20, 09:48 AM
Yours. I'll make it clearer in the future.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-20, 10:13 AM
From his vantage point Darkova impatiently scans the surroundings, ears twitching and eyes darting to and fro

one more round of this silliness then and if I don't roll well enough I'll go wreck some houses
spot[roll0]
listen[roll1]

Inevitability
2016-09-20, 12:41 PM
Darkova fails to spot anything.

Demented Dragon
2016-09-22, 02:24 PM
Malkarim calmly glances about for the creature. It had to reappear at some point. If not it would no doubt show up again some day

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Inevitability
2016-09-23, 05:24 AM
Malkarim cannot spot or hear the dark creature.

One of the guards begins walking towards one of the towers, whistling as he does so.

Smeg, you're up.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-23, 05:56 AM
Darkova grows bored quickly, and the shrill whistling of the patrolling guard annoys him.
Darkova moves

move action, crawl to the top of the wall
standard action, tongue grab the guard if in range, if not, continue to stalk the guard.
tongue [roll0]
grapple if successful [roll1]

Inevitability
2016-09-23, 10:07 AM
A tongue suddenly shoots from nowhere and wraps itself around the guard. The giant dark monster reappears atop the wall and drags its tongue back in until it's holding the hobgoblin mere inches from its toothy maw. The guard's whistling turns to screaming.

Malkarim, who is walking sneakily about sixty feet from the giant shadow creature, sees it reappear. Between it and the beast are the three ungrabbed guards.

It is now Malkarim's turn.

Demented Dragon
2016-09-24, 05:13 AM
Malkarim watches, assessing the creature and wondering about its motives. He would wait for a moment of vulnerability before striking.

Inevitability
2016-09-24, 05:46 AM
The grabbed guard continues to scream and desperately tries to escape Darkova's clutches. Predictably, he fails.

Grapple checks are meaningless here: the guard's modifier is more than 19 below Darkova's.

His companions watch him for a moment, then make a run for it.

Quite a distance away, horns are being blown. It appears Darkova's sudden appearance hasn't gone unnoticed.

The panicking guards pass right by Malkarim, close enough for the assassin to touch them if he wanted to.

Demented Dragon
2016-09-25, 05:08 AM
Malkarim calmly side steps the guards and continues to watch

Probably not gonna do much given the armor on it right now, gonna stalk it and wait for it to be unaware/sleeping. Or maybe talk to it some point before then, but mostly stalking.

Inevitability
2016-09-25, 01:33 PM
Okay. I'm going to assume you won't interrupt Darkova any time soon, if only to speed up stuff.

It is Darkova's turn now.

By the way, it seems the battle has stopped, so please describe what you're doing. Assume no interruptions will take place.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-25, 02:49 PM
Darkova swallows heavily, sending the guard to his doom.
Smacking his lips he looks around from his vantage point, and then hops from the wall heading towards the residential district.
guards may be crunchy, but pampered nobles are much better seasoned, and more tender besides.

if uninterrupted, Darkova is going to blaze a trail to the fancy houses, eating anything that comes into range. Maybe detouring to destroy a national monument on the way.

Demented Dragon
2016-09-26, 03:52 AM
Yep, plan is to stalk

Inevitability
2016-09-26, 02:52 PM
Darkova makes his way through the city, smashing houses here and eating a few overzealous guards there. A statue to a regal-looking bugbear called 'Empress Reggathurm Verthnich the Narrowness of Change' is similarly toppled and trampled.

The fancier parts of town are soon reached. Various larger, two-story houses surround a great palace. It seems that most of the city's guards have gathered here. Panicked orders are shouted back and forth between hobgoblins.

"It's here! Prepare for battle, servants of the empire!"
"I'm not getting paid enough for this!"
"Where the hell is the master strategist? He'd know what to do!"
"The empress is gone too! She's not in her room!"
"We're all going to die! Look at that thing!"
"Silence, soldier! Empress or no empress, we are the guard! We protect this city!"

The assassin follows unseen, carefully studying his target. He sees people screaming, and running, and buildings collapsing, but no obvious weaknesses in his foe. At most, its obvious destination (the richer district) may indicate some intelligence.

Inevitability
2016-09-28, 09:51 AM
Note to self: don't forget to roll initiative when new battles begin. I hope this will clear up the confusion of whose turn it is.

Malkarim: [roll0]
Darkova: [roll1]
Guards: [roll2]

Dragon, if you would be so kind?

Demented Dragon
2016-09-28, 05:38 PM
Oh Malkarim is still just stalking atm. Sorry not doing much exciting but have little to do against Darkova atm and it doesn't feel like a good time to try to chat

Inevitability
2016-09-29, 02:21 PM
It is now Darkova's turn.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-29, 04:29 PM
Darvova listens to the squealing morsels crying about their missing empress
'a pity, I imagine royalty is quite delicious' he muses to himself 'still, perhaps the royal guard have been entrusted with some tasty magic treasures'

With a cry and a flurry of blade and bone, Darkova charges the arrayed goblinoids.

Charge, pounce, full attack

Anything huge or smaller must make a will save DC27 or be shaken for one round
A shaken character takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Bite [roll0]
damage [roll1]
Claw [roll2]
damage [roll3]
Claw [roll4]
damage [roll5]
Horn [roll6]
damage [roll7]
Horn [roll8]
damage [roll9]
Tongue [roll10]
damage none
Grapple [roll11]

If something drops
Cleave [roll12]
Damage - Same as the attack which triggered the cleave

for the next turn Darkova's AC is lowered to 31, however if he drops a foe his AC goes up to 33

Inevitability
2016-09-30, 11:53 AM
Several guards fall to Darkova's omslaught, and one is completely devoured by the beast. Many of the guards recoil in fear from the terrible beast.

"F-forwards, brave guards! It is but one monster: we can slay it!"

Spear after spear is thrust against the beast's hide, but not one manages to deal serious damage. From a nearby rooftop, a bhuka flings a flaming sphere at Darkova, but the beast barely notices the flames.

As far as I can see, you're not applying your strength modifier to horn damage. Is there a particular reason for that?

Also, we can skip ahead if you want.

It's your turn now, though I suppose you may not want to do anything for a while. If so, don't hesitate to tell me.

Smeggedoff
2016-09-30, 12:08 PM
ooh, deja vu.
Yes, the reason I'm not applying my strength mod to my horn damage is that while it's explicitly stated in my class that my claws get str, it's not stated that my horns do. If you feel that I should be adding my str to my horns, then I'll amend that.

And sure, we can skip ahead.

Demented Dragon
2016-10-01, 11:36 AM
Yah still just stalking

Inevitability
2016-10-01, 12:37 PM
The guard bravely tries to resist Darkova's attack, but fails. The few attacks that hit the beast easily regenerates, and after a few minutes of fierce battle what guards have not run away are dead or dying. The palace seems undefended.

Okay.

Darkova can act normally.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-01, 01:15 PM
Darkova proceeds to break open the front of the palace, sniffing around for something good to eat

Inevitability
2016-10-02, 05:15 AM
With a tremendous blow, the giant monster cracks open the palace wall. Past it is a large, empty courtyard surrounding the actual palace.

The actual palace door falls just as quickly, revealing a large hall. This, place, too, is empty, and Darkova's rampage continues. A few side rooms are devastated before the monster discovers what it's looking for: a storage room. Barrels of wine are piled up dozens of feet high, salted camel, horse and cow meat is hanging from hooks, and bags of bread form a great pile at the back of the room. Small green candles are littered everywhere, spreading a faint foul scent. It's not enough to drown out the overwhelming smell of food, though.

Quiet yet hurried footsteps can be heard on the floor above, indicating that someone is moving there.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-02, 11:53 AM
Darkova begins to send the food to the bottomless pit of his stomach, until a faint noise draws his attention. Grinning he paces the room preparing to smash through the ceiling to snatch the little mouse

Listen [roll0]

Inevitability
2016-10-02, 01:27 PM
Just waiting a bit to see if Malkarim does anything.

Demented Dragon
2016-10-03, 05:53 PM
Will also do listen check

Depending on results, may set up a situation to have a talk with Darkova

[roll0]

If I fail then I want to check if there's any cover I could use my immediate action teleport dodge from if Darkova charges. Also will plan to use sanctuary before stepping out to speak to Darkova. All this depends on availability of cover and failing the listen check

Think my only realistic options are talk or stalk until he goes to sleep, I think stalking may be getting a bit dull for all involved XP

Inevitability
2016-10-04, 12:17 PM
Darkova takes three great steps, its muscles bulging as it gathers its strength. Then, it smashes through the ceiling, sending dust and rubble flying everywhere.

The corridor above, now clearly visible through the hole in the ceiling, is occupied by a single hobgoblin, who seems to have barely managed to jump away from the collapsing floor section. A single eye (the other is obscured by an eyepatch) looks down upon the behemoth below, and an expression of interest appears on his scarred face.

"Ah yes, that would make sense. You're bigger than I expected, I must say."

"I'd love to kill you, beastie, but I'm afraid there's some more pressing issues right now. You can keep smashing this place to bits: I don't really mind."

Darkova: [roll0]
Malkarim: [roll1]
Hobgoblin: [roll2]

The hobgoblin can be recognized as Yermahuz Qoomor, the missing master strategist, beyond any reasonable doubt. He doesn't seem to have detected Malkarim yet.

Inevitability
2016-10-04, 12:19 PM
"I'll be going now, consumer. Do eat any feeble assassins you may be coming across."

The armored hobgoblin turns away from the hole and dashes further down the corridor, out of Darkova's and Malkarim's sights.

Demented Dragon
2016-10-05, 03:48 AM
Malkarim decides for the time being it is best to deal with the strategist. The monster will be easy enough to find again and so he follows the strategist. It seemed important to find out what other, more subtle, beings of power may exist in the world

Inevitability
2016-10-05, 10:10 AM
The graceful assassin flies through the hole and into the corridor above, which it now sees is quite long. The strategist can be seen about fifty feet down it, still running.

All the while, Malkarim remains unseen by goblinoid and giant monster alike.

It is now Darkova's turn.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-05, 10:36 AM
Darkova narrows his eyes and his powerful muscles burst into motion, blurring him through the hole and after the fleeing speck.

"Presumptious morsel! Darkova eats what and who Darkova pleases!" Darkova rumbles in low tones as he approaches, fangs glistening with saliva

Oh it's on
Darkova uses rush, quadrupling his speed for this round.
He moves 200ft as a move action
If he catches up he makes a bite attack
bite: [roll0]
damage [roll1]
grapple [roll2]

if he does not catch up with the initial move action, he uses a charge from his belt of battle to take a second move action before biting

Inevitability
2016-10-05, 11:45 AM
Darkova roars and forces itself through the hole in the ceiling, then charges down the hallway visible as little more than a shadowy blur. Its great jaws open to swallow the impudent mortal, whose eyepatch appears to be bulging slightly.

The assassin can barely prevent the rampaging beast from smashing into him by clinging to the ceiling.

The hobgoblin turns to face the charging monstrosity and, with incredible speed, raises both sword and shield. Darkova's fangs clash against their metal, and while the hobgoblin is forced back a few steps he doesn't appear injured.

"You can talk? Good to know: now stop bothering me. I already have a supernatural murderer to kill, and he's far less simple-minded than you are."

From behind the eyepatch a slimy tentacle erupts, tearing away the piece of cloth. The tentacle twists and shivers as it moves through the air.

The tentacle expands even more, as if something is being pumped in it. Moments later, its far end bursts open, spraying greenish goo everywhere. Darkova, too, is covered in the muck, though it doesn't seem to have much of an effect. The oozing appendage then regrows from the hobgoblin's eye socket as he steps back a few more feet.

DC 14 reflex save or take [roll0] points of acid damage.

If this damages Darkova, it is followed by a DC 14 fortitude save to avoid [roll1] rounds of stun. It also reduces Darkova's Will saving throws by 2 for the same amount of time (no save).

Saving throws:
Reflex: [roll2]
Fortitude [roll3]

Results:
Acid damage negated completely by successful saving throw and acid resistance.

Current distance between hobgoblin and Darkova: 5 feet.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-05, 12:48 PM
Reflex vs acid [roll0]
if I fail the save the acid is reduced to 7 dmg
there's a 50/50 shot that I'll fail the save so here's the fort just in case
Fort vs Stun [roll1]

Demented Dragon
2016-10-06, 04:36 AM
Malkarim observes the hobgoblin, preparing a fatal blow in case the creature didn't deal with him itself. Gratitude should the strategist somehow game the upper hand would also be potentially useful

Inevitability
2016-10-06, 01:31 PM
I already rolled your saves in the original post, to save time (you passed both, taking no damage). That said, it's your turn now.

Malkarim carefully watches the hobgoblin, preparing a deadly attack.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-06, 02:22 PM
Darkova may not be the smartest being in the world, but he knows when he's being insulted
"I'm terribly sorry, worm, but I'm far too much of a brute to even comprehend your pleas of mercy." Darkova purrs, before taking a step which shakes the palace, the close stretch of corridor splintering into a form that resembles an inside-out pufferfish
In the next instant he blurs into furious motion

So you did, oh well, sorry.
Spending another point of my belt of battle for a move action to use stomp
stomp: 15 foot radius entangle (dc26 ref)

then using his full action to full attack the mouthy little cyclops
Bite [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Claw [roll2]
Damage [roll3]
Claw [roll4]
Damage [roll5]
Horn [roll6]
Damage [roll7]
Horn [roll8]
Damage [roll9]
Tongue [roll10]

Ok so here's a thing. The tarrasque srd entry indeed gets bonus damage to its horns and tail slap, which I don't get. This may be an oversight, however the actual tarrasque only seems to get full str on it's bite and half str on its secondary weapons whereas the progression gets 1.5 str on its bite and full str on its claws. The real Tarrasque also has full bab (which upon closer inspection the progression's comments says he also gets, but the table shows 3/4)

Let me know if you want me to update any of these things

Inevitability
2016-10-07, 03:30 PM
The hobgoblin prepares to move his sword and shield to deflect Darkova's attacks again, but the corridor's sudden collapse throws him of balance for a moment.

To Darkova, it's enough of an opening. Claws and teeth tear open armor and flesh, until all that remains is a pool of greenish-blue slime surrounded by piles of bloody meat. It's a grisly sight.

I suggest we fix the full/half strength modifier thing, but let's not increase Darkova's BAB. I mean, it's not like he needs it. :smalltongue:

I suppose combat rounds have ended.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-08, 03:45 AM
Darkova sniffs at the pile of goo, someone with this much self importance would surely be carrying some magical items right?

sure thing. It makes my bite slightly less damaging put puts my overall damage up I think, especially when the tail comes in to play later

Inevitability
2016-10-08, 04:42 AM
Amongst the grime-stained flesh, a few items can be found. First are the hobgoblin's sword, shield and armor, which have been moderately damaged by Darkova's omslaught. Bits of his clothing, well-made but simple, can also be seen, but they've been stained badly by blood and slime. Two bottles filled with white fluid have miraculously not shattered.

Except for all those things, the hobgoblin was carrying a pouch with some gold, a dagger, a small key, and a golden badge into which some words in the goblin language have been carved.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-08, 06:43 AM
Darkova snuffles at the pile before making a shrugging motion and devouring the lot, including a good portion of the floor it was sitting on

Inevitability
2016-10-08, 10:55 AM
The items and floor tiles below are devoured in one mighty bite.

Are you using your Assimilation ability? Asking because I'm not sure how it works if you aren't sure what the items you're eating do, or whether they're magical at all.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-08, 11:16 AM
That was the intent, If you want to add some sort of check or luck roll to see if I fail to absorb unknown items I'd be okay with that

Inevitability
2016-10-09, 05:40 AM
Hm...

In that case, you now have a +1 enhancement bonus to natural armor (armor slot) and a +1 enhancement bonus to thattack and damage rolls wi a single natural weapon of your choice. The other items don't seem to affect you.

Also, let's wait a bit before and let Dragon get a chance to reply.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-09, 06:01 AM
aye aye mon capitan, I figure now he knows I can speak he might make contact

Inevitability
2016-10-09, 12:32 PM
That or he goes for a death attack. :smalltongue:

Smeggedoff
2016-10-09, 12:38 PM
Yes. The Death attack. The Attack that causes death. The Move that Kills you instantly. The Instant Death Attack.
If only I had some sort of Protection.
Something that Wards off Instant Death
A Death Ward even.
Hmmm
Hmmmmmmm.

I am indeed terrified that he might spend three rounds starting at me followed by him ineffectually poking me in the butt.
He might even crit.

Demented Dragon
2016-10-09, 10:02 PM
Malkarim steps out from the shadows, gazing at the bloodstains left from the hobgoblin, before looking up at Darkova. He folds his wings behind him and speaks, "I am Malkarim, the assassin he was referring to. I am here to turn these lesser beings against one another and see them destroyed. I gather, you've come to this city for a reason?"

Gonna be standing near the hole to teleport down in case Darkova attacks, also will cast Sanctuary before speaking. If I have to teleport down, will hide again.

Smeggedoff
2016-10-10, 04:17 AM
Darkova cranes his neck to peer at the assassin, a toothsome grin widening on his monstrous face
"Darkova was hungry," He rumbled "And following a boat, this is where it led Darkova. But mainly the hunger, it is my purpose little assassin"

Darkova turns, his hide scraping against the walls due to his bulk dislodging all manner of decoration and masonry

He Sniffs at Malkarim

"But this one concedes he had not known that another destroyer claimed this place. Should you wish it, Darkova will move on, as you have been polite"

Demented Dragon
2016-10-12, 02:39 AM
Malkarim nods at the creature, I admire your destruction, but I have other plans for this city, so it would be appreciated."

Smeggedoff
2016-10-12, 07:01 AM
Darkova purrs at the compliment before responding
"Very well, Darkova supposes that he really should be devouring something else right now. maybe they've had enough time to make it challenging"
He chuckles before fading from sight, his footsteps fading down the hallway

Swift Action - Cloak of Deception, greater invis until end of turn
Hide [roll0]
Move Silently[roll1]

Inevitability
2016-10-12, 12:42 PM
The sound of Darkova quickly dies away, leaving Malkarim alone in the hallway.

Okay, you can return to your individual threads now.