View Full Version : Some confusion needs clearing...please.

Starchild7309
2016-09-17, 08:14 PM
I started the campaign I am currently in as a half elf with a CHA of 20. I was killed and reincarnated as a hill dwarf and my CHA dropped to an 18, I am coming up on 12th level and I was considering putting my stat bonus back in to CHA to get it to a +5, but part of my story line is that I am trying to get my old body back, or at least back to being a half elf if not my original body. The problem that needs answering and among our table its split is what happens with my CHA.

We know it maxes out at 20, but do I then lose that bump or am I allowed to reapply it to another stat or can I choose a feat instead or do I just get screwed out of the increase when I got the new body? No one seems to see any rules for this rather weird situation.

Calibus
2016-09-17, 08:17 PM
Question: What Class are you playing?

Specter
2016-09-17, 08:18 PM
Pretty sure nothing in the book states that.

Talk to your DM. If he's not lenient to give you at least a feat in exchange for the CHA, then put it on CON or something more universal.

Calibus
2016-09-17, 08:20 PM
Pretty sure nothing in the book states that.

Talk to your DM. If he's not lenient to give you at least a feat in exchange for the CHA, then put it on CON or something more universal.

Stats max at 20 unless otherwise made so by magical means. Its in the PHB.

Specter
2016-09-17, 08:22 PM
Stats max at 20 unless otherwise made so by magical means. Its in the PHB.

I mean about exchanging bodies back and forth and the racial bonuses implied.

CantigThimble
2016-09-17, 08:24 PM
I mean about exchanging bodies back and forth and the racial bonuses implied.

"The reincarnated creature recalls its former life and experiences. It retains the capabilities it had in its original form, except it exchanges its original race for the new one and changes its racial traits accordingly."

Calibus
2016-09-17, 08:29 PM
"The reincarnated creature recalls its former life and experiences. It retains the capabilities it had in its original form, except it exchanges its original race for the new one and changes its racial traits accordingly."

+1 I can't like this enough

Starchild7309
2016-09-17, 09:02 PM

Ok, so as I am reading what you are saying, its a tough luck sucker, you shouldn't have put your ASI into Cha?

I think its just weird as a dwarf I would have a 20 after 12th level with +4 of that being from ASI increases. If I change over to half elf again I would lose +2 to that increase, but looking big picture I am losing a feature given to me by leveling so it seems kind of sucky then that changing your race would penalize you and force you to lose one of your ASI.

I think you are probably right and thats how my DM will probably rule, but I think its stupid to penalize someone for wanting to be "useful" by getting their main casting stat to +5 and then sticking it to them if they go through the r/p to get his personal story line quests done. All of that is opinion and I did ask for rules...so thanks for that.

Temperjoke
2016-09-17, 09:08 PM
Ok, so as I am reading what you are saying, its a tough luck sucker, you shouldn't have put your ASI into Cha?

I think its just weird as a dwarf I would have a 20 after 12th level with +4 of that being from ASI increases. If I change over to half elf again I would lose +2 to that increase, but looking big picture I am losing a feature given to me by leveling so it seems kind of sucky then that changing your race would penalize you and force you to lose one of your ASI.

I think you are probably right and thats how my DM will probably rule, but I think its stupid to penalize someone for wanting to be "useful" by getting their main casting stat to +5 and then sticking it to them if they go through the r/p to get his personal story line quests done. All of that is opinion and I did ask for rules...so thanks for that.

That's game mechanics for you. Ultimately, it's up to the DM, but it's not without complete hope. I mean, there isn't a normal method for regaining your original body back, but your DM is allowing you to work towards that, right? Maybe he'll allow you to reapply the gain elsewhere?

JAL_1138
2016-09-17, 09:21 PM
Personally I'd let you stick the ASI in something else once you got back up to 20 from half-elf, but that's houseruling something in so you wouldn't be wasting it. The book's clear on the stat caps, going by the rules. Talk to your DM about the situation and get a ruling first.

If you want to stick the ASI in another stat and avoid the conundrum, Con is always a good ASI and would be worth taking for most casters. Concentration spells and such.

Or take a feat for now and see if you get turned back into a half-elf before the next ASI. Depending on class and build, taking a feat might be an option you'd want to do anyway at this level.

brainface
2016-09-17, 09:28 PM
By RaW, you're screwed, but this is clear "just ask your DM" territory. Like--we can't really advise you on how some dude is going to rule.

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2016-10-18, 03:28 PM
Not to be a stickler, but you is you cha is 20, and you are MAGICALLY changed into an elf.

I'd say your CHA goes to 22.