PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help, feedback, and / or advice on a magic bow.

Phoenix042
2016-09-18, 04:36 AM
I'd like some feedback on a powerful magic bow I intend to give to a 5th level Ranger in a game I DM.

I'm not giving +'s to attack and damage with magic weapons in this game. I feel like static bonuses aren't as interesting or exciting as special powers and features.

Even so, I am a little concerned that this bow has too much power, or just too much going on. I'm okay with it being a little ahead on the power curve, but I'd rather not make problems for myself down the road.

So anyways, here it is:

Bow of the Falling Star
Weapon (longbow), very rare
This celestial longbow is made of a single shaped piece of flexible glass, but weighs only one pound. The bow is almost completely an opaque blue-black color except for a glittering crystal lens set into the glass just above the handle, which slightly magnifies distant objects.
If you watch the bow long enough, you notice that silver points of light occasionally streak across its surface, like falling stars across the sky. At night, you can see the stars through the crystal lens even if you aren’t outside or clouds cover the sky.
The handle guard is spiked, and the spikes glow faintly when fiends, undead, or aberrations are within 120ft.

Beacon
Whenever you fire an arrow from this bow, you can use a bonus action to whisper this command word and cause the arrow to shine with pale blue light. The arrow emits bright light out to 10ft and dim light 10ft beyond that. The light fades one minute later or when you use this power again.

Starfire
As an action, you can whisper this command word and fire a single silvered arrow at a point within range. When it reaches that point, the arrow bursts into silver flame, which spreads out to briefly fill a 20ft cube. The fire is cool and deals no damage, but clings to all objects in the area and also to creatures that fail a DC 15 dexterity saving throw. Treat this as the spell faerie fire except this effect does not require concentration and has a range equal to your bow’s long range.
Once you have used this power, you cannot do so again until the next dawn.

Starcall
When you are under the open sky, you can use an action to speak this command word and fire a silvered arrow skyward. When you do so, designate a point on a fixed surface within the long range of this bow and choose a delay of either one round or three rounds.
At the beginning of your turn after the delay, a bolt of silver light lances down from the sky and strikes the point you designated, bursting into a 20ft radius sphere of searing light. All creatures in the affected area must make a DC 15 dexterity saving throw. A creature that fails the save after a one round delay takes 3d8 radiant damage and is blinded until your next turn. A creature that fails its save after a three round delay also takes 3d8 bludgeoning damage and is blasted 10ft away from the point of origin. A creature that succeeds on the save takes half damage and isn’t blinded or pushed. Objects within 5ft of the point of origin take double damage, and creatures in this area have disadvantage on their saving throw.
Once you have used Starcall, you cannot do so again until the next dawn.

Lodestar
While you are under the clear night sky, you can use this bow to perform a 10 minute ritual, beseeching the stars for guidance. During this ritual, you use special materials worth 15gp to carefully inscribe a single question into the shaft of a silvered arrow. This question can be about any goal, event, or activity to occur within 7 days. You then fire the arrow into the sky, where it vanishes with a faint glimmer of light. The answer to your question is then written across the stars, but only you can divine their message.
Once you have used this feature, you cannot do so again for 3 days.

I'm particularly interested on feedback about Starcall and Lodestar. Starcall has mechanics that aren't really anywhere else in 5e (besides maybe delayed blast fireball, sort of). I meant it to feel sort of like a siege power, useful when your enemies hold a strategic position they're unlikely to leave soon (like the ramparts at the top of a tower, or a foxhole or other source of cover). I also meant it to destroy structures and surfaces it strikes, collapsing bridges or towers, blasting open gates, etc. But I'm not at all convinced that was clear from the description.

Lodestar was supposed to play to the archetypal affiliation with divination and the constellations, and also provide a sort of "celestial guidance" feel.

But I'm not sure that just copying the effects of the 4th level spell "Divination" fits perfectly here, and I'm still worried that this bow does too much at once.

Any feedback is really appreciated.

JellyPooga
2016-09-18, 04:45 AM
You've got quite a lot going on here and my fear isn't so much how powerful any given effect is, but your player simply forgetting that he has some of them. Simple is usually better; giving the wielder the ability to cast Dancing Lights, Divination, Faerie Fire and Fireball (which is basically what you have going on here) once each per long rest not only conforms to standard spell descriptions, but cuts out the lengthy wording and unusual mechanics, making it easier both to annotate on a character sheet and remember.

Dungeon-noob
2016-09-18, 03:21 PM
Okay, first of all, let me compliment you on a very flavorfull and enticing design. I can totally picture the bow in my head, and that's a very good thing. Also, don't worry about lodestar being to generic or not fitting. I felt it worked great with the rest of the abilities, making it feel more real and civalized and making it less a mindless blasting tool.

As for the actual advise, i partially agree with Pooga. This bow is not for someone who has trouble keeping track, and might be hard to get used to, for player, party and DM alike. Therefore, i would advise you to lock its two strongest abilities, starcall and lodestar, opon obtainment of the item. Only let the player have beacon and starfire, so everyone can get comfterable familiar with these aspects of the bow.

Then, after a short while, when the player has gained X xp while attuned to it/beaten X enemies with it/"starts looking to the stars for guidence"/whatever simple trigger you decide, you unlock the rest. When you give the player the bow, or when he first uses it, you fluff-tell him he feels like the bow "isn't showing it full range of abilities", so he knows there is more to discover.

This way, the bow feels way more special. If you want to, you can also write a sidestory out of the origins of the bow, its purpose, etc. Tell me if you like this idea, it's a way of dealing with powerfull gear that i intend to use a serious amount of myself.

Phoenix042
2016-09-18, 11:41 PM
You've got quite a lot going on here and my fear isn't so much how powerful any given effect is, but your player simply forgetting that he has some of them.

That's a good point, actually, and I think it's the main reason I started to worry about the number of abilities the bow granted now that you mention it.

Now with that said, I'm not comfortable scrapping what I have completely just yet. I've eliminated a line from Starfire to make it simpler, and I'm rolling the 3 round delay version of starcall into the 1 round delay version, so it's only one power to remember instead of two, but then toning down the damage a touch (is that part necessary?).

Okay, first of all, let me compliment you on a very flavorfull and enticing design. I can totally picture the bow in my head, and that's a very good thing. Also, don't worry about lodestar being to generic or not fitting. I felt it worked great with the rest of the abilities, making it feel more real and civalized and making it less a mindless blasting tool.

Thank you! I did try to make this less of raw damage booster and more of a cool utility and debuffing tool. I'm glad that came across clearly.

Only let the player have beacon and starfire, so everyone can get comfterable familiar with these aspects of the bow. Then, after a short while, when the player has gained X xp while attuned to it/beaten X enemies with it/"starts looking to the stars for guidence"/whatever simple trigger you decide, you unlock the rest.

Actually, that's a great idea! I want this bow to do all these things, but it's a lot to get all at once. Breaking it up into the "terrestrial" abilities (available right away) and the "celestial" abilities (earned somehow in a few levels) is a perfect way to divide both the power and complexity of the weapon. Plus it works really well thematically, as I could explain that you're sort of earning the favor of the heavens, which then respond to your calls for aid and guidance.

As for the backstory, I've already got that fleshed out pretty well.