PDA

View Full Version : Feats for a jaunter?

justiceforall
2016-09-18, 08:59 AM
Hi playground,

I'm currently a couple of levels into a Ranger who intends to go Jaunter at 5th. Obviously to do that I have to take Dodge/Mobility/Spring Attack (the last being a bonus feat for trading away casting at 4th), but I still have a feat to spend at 3rd (or 1st for that matter) that I don't really have any ideas of what to do with. And for that matter, I don't have any particularly brilliant ideas for my 6th level feat either.

Stats are: 14,14,16,10,13,8. I am allowed to retrain the stats if necessary. The character is a pilgrim of Farhlanghn who used to be a gamekeeper.

Suggestions? I would be particularly interested in anything that makes Spring Attack work well, since obviously I am forced to take that anyway.

Inevitability
2016-09-18, 09:03 AM
Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz are decent uses of your higher-level feats if you want to milk Spring Attack. Both are from PHB2.

Zaq
2016-09-18, 10:52 AM
I originally misread that as "feats for a janitor," which I have to admit did a better job of grabbing my attention. (Though aside from that feat that gives you access to Prestidigitation, I'm not immediately sure what else would fit.)

What do you mean, "unhelpful post?"

justiceforall
2016-09-18, 07:55 PM
Bounding Assault and Rapid Blitz are decent uses of your higher-level feats if you want to milk Spring Attack. Both are from PHB2.

Thanks Stirge but I'm way more focused on the first three feats for the character before I start shopping around for things at 15th level onwards.

Ruethgar
2016-09-18, 10:26 PM
A Martial Monk of a Major Devil Bloodline can get in earlier unless you wanted Ranger for something in particular. I always liked the Jaunter, but I too have trouble finding things for them to get.

Big Fau
2016-09-18, 11:00 PM
If you're allowed it, the Dragonmark feats compliment a Jaunter very nicely (especially if you can get into Blade of Orien or Storm Sentry.

Waazraath
2016-09-19, 02:51 AM
Suggestions? I would be particularly interested in anything that makes Spring Attack work well, since obviously I am forced to take that anyway.

This one is difficult; in general, spring attack is considered a bad option because 1) the feat tax and 2) the fact that you only can make 1 attack (barring the already mentioned rather late level feats, and some other niche options - more on that later).

If you want to make spring attack work, you need to find a way to be relevant in combat, while making only 1 hit. That's hard, especially with so many feats and levels already invested in stuff. Some options, don't know if you'll be able to fit 'em in:
- use poison a lot
- (arcane) channeling: deliver a spell with your strike, like with the duskblade 3 ability (need to invest in your casting though)
- martial adepts (maybe the easiest, a 1 level dip can give you a few relevant strikes, and you can use feats and items to get more)
- go for a trip build (diffcult, cause it often takes some feats as well) - at least your 1 hit will result in a prone opponent, if all goes well
- at low levels a devotion feat like death devotion might work (though it doesn't fit with Fahrlang as a deity)

Also, you might be able to add extra melee attacks on a standard action; iirc, both the snap kick feat (ToB) and (a liberal reading of) the whirling frenzy ability of the barbarian (UA, alternative version of rage) can both do that.

Good luck!

justiceforall
2016-09-19, 03:07 AM
unless you wanted Ranger for something in particular

...I did, but it turns out the reason I thought I was doing it was incorrect. I thought I could go Ranger 4 into Jaunter by using Planar Ranger and Nature's Champion ACFs, but I've just reread the latter and Spring Attack isn't on the list of bonus feats like I thought it was. Which would mean I would instead have to go Ranger 3/Fighter 1 which is significantly less attractive.

If you're allowed it, the Dragonmark feats compliment a Jaunter very nicely (especially if you can get into Blade of Orien or Storm Sentry.

I am allowed. But I read Blade of Orien as something you'd take instead of Jaunter, not in addition to? Storm Sentry is kind of cool.

Also, you might be able to add extra melee attacks on a standard action; iirc, both the snap kick feat (ToB)

Snap Kick was definitely the sort of thing I was thinking of, although I'd originally decided against it because I'd have to spend a feat on Improved Unarmed Strike then wait until 9th to take it due to missing a point of BAB at 5th :(.

But now that my ranger plan is less good, it might be worth revisiting the build.

Big Fau
2016-09-19, 07:10 AM
I am allowed. But I read Blade of Orien as something you'd take instead of Jaunter, not in addition to? Storm Sentry is kind of cool.

In a way, Jaunter+Blade of Orien is like getting half of the Mark of Passage for 4 levels and the Spring Attack prerequisites. You have the effects of the Greater (Teleport 2+50% Dex mod/day, Dimension Door 4+Dex/day) and can Plane Shift+use a few tactical teleportation effects in addition to your Dimension Leap ability (which is a full attack as a move action at BoO 10). If you want, you can get the rest of the Mark of Passage by either spending the feats or your last few levels in Dragonmarked Heir (Overland Flight is amazing).

Storm Sentry would make you more than a one-trick pony. You'd have a solid battlefield control SLA (Gust of Wind, enhanced by the PrC).

The Deneith Warden and Shadow Hunter are also good Dragonmark PrCs, although Shadow Hunter works better with Shadowsun Ninja levels mixed in.

ShurikVch
2016-09-19, 11:33 AM
Maybe it's better to take Expeditious Dodge (Races of the Wild) instead Dodge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#dodge)?
It works as prerequisite, and it's a Fighter's bonus feat too

lytokk
2016-09-19, 11:59 AM
I really have nothing to add, but I keep reading this as Feats for a Janitor, and I find that amusing.

Darrin
2016-09-19, 01:05 PM
Take Expeditious Dodge (Races of the Wild) or Midnight Dodge (Magic of Incarnum). If the latter, consider Shape Soulmeld to pick up Cerulean Sandals (+5' speed) or Airstep Sandals (20' fly speed).

At 3rd... Ancestral Relic (BoED) is a good pick for a TWF ranger, particularly if you make it a double weapon such as a quarterstaff. This will save you money in the long run on enchantment costs.

Draconic Aura (Dragon Magic) is also nice if you can get the Vigor aura from PHBII. Not really movement-related though.

I'd also look through the Devotion feats in Complete Champion. Usually I load up on multiple copies of Travel Devotion, but Animal Devotion might be more useful with Spring Attack: Cheetah's Sprint increases your land speed. Having a Str buff, poison bite, or flight for 1 minute can also come in pretty handy.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-09-19, 01:58 PM
A level in Abrupt Jaunt martial wizard gets you a prerequisite feat and a bunch more teleports. There's a suggestion for spellcasting-advancing Jaunters in the adaptation section, as I recall - maybe try taking that, and go into Swiftblade or Spelldancer, which share many prerequisite feats? Combine with Telflammar Shadowlord at higher levels.