PDA

View Full Version : Sand, hot lead and V8's (Dark Heresy) IC

Pages : [1] 2

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-18, 09:28 AM
You all met Scrivener Maldanis in each your own, strange way.

He is an aging man, white of hair, balding, with bright, intelligent eyes, and a straight back despite his advanced years.

He has the appearance of someone who'd reside safely behind a desk, maybe back on Holy Terra, or in some Administratum complex. Hence, it seems strange that you have all encountered him in places of conflict and strife, among the desperate and degenerate, at the very bottom of Imperial society.

He carries at his side an old laspistol of a design you do not know, and is accompanied by two close associates - Antoun and Felidae. Both are young, and give off an air of high competency.

After your initial meeting, Maldanis has informed you that you will - eventually - be summoned ... and should you chose to accept, you will be inducted into the Inquisition. Your old lives will be over. New ones, in the service of a higher cause, await.

Now, the summons have come. You are called (potentially halfway across the sector), to a briefing.

The old scribe looks at you over the rim of his old, highly analogue spectacles, and begins the briefing:

Hades II is a largely irrelevant backwater on the edge of Imperial space. It was never a truly important colony, and not it is a dying one. But at one point, at least, it was prosperous and supplied the Imperium with important metal and mineral compounds.

There is a pattern to planets such as this: Any colony is a mix of local and imported technology. In the case of Hades II, the locals have gone no further than internal combustion engines, gunpowder, metallurgy. Early industrialization, in other words. Keep this in mind: If will be hard for you to get charge for las weapons, you will have limited access to advanced medicine, there are no flyers, no cogitators, no sattellite cover - and so on.

There are two exceptions: The planetary governor, Lord something-or-other, resides on a space station - actually, more of an orbital mansion - which is quite up to standard. And there is an Imperial stronghold, including a spaceport and lance batteries, which has all you'd expect from it.

Keep also in mind: This planet has no formalized Imperial government. The governor has two companies of guardsmen, divided among his mansion and the stronghold. Outside that, there is little or no formal law enforcement.

The situation on Hades II is this: Since the world is in rapid decline, losing population, income, trade as well as running out of it's only valuable, the ore and mineral deposits that made it a viable colony - it is wildly unlikely their tech level should unexpectedly spike.

This, however, is happening.

Mind you, the governor is blisfully unaware of this. He is not the one who requested our presence. Whether you decide to keep him in the loop, or out, is up to you.

No, other operatives on the planet have reported ... anomalies. Nothing wildly worrisome, no heretical tech, but still - nothing we'd expect this world to be capable of.

I want to know how this came about. You will go there, and find out.

LairdMaon
2016-09-18, 12:31 PM
"They are increasing their tech level? While their planet is on the decline? How is such a thing possible? They must have found a benefactor... But what would their supplier be getting in exchange? And how would it get here past the governor? Such a job you have given us!"

Jashugan's enthusiasm turns to mild consternation.
"No flyers, I assume ground vehicles then. Will you be hooking us up or are we on our own to get some?"

flame12
2016-09-18, 05:06 PM
At the word 'Benefactor', Blue narrowed her eyes. Who would want to move tech into a doomed area like this, and why?

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-19, 02:27 AM
"That, or they have uncovered something. Archeotech has been known to surface in unlikely places before." Ferrus' eyes, if they had been visible beneath his hood, would have been shining. The techpriest was of the curious sort that was constantly chasing after lost and forgotten things from before the dawn of the Imperium. He knew that archeotech was not the answer to everything, and yet, he could never help but hope.

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-19, 05:38 AM
Archeotech would be of greater interest to the Mechanicus than the Inquisition. However, the case seems to be that the locals - in a few rather specific places - are experiencing a leap in production capability, building things that were never available to them.

As I said, the pinnacle of their achievements has been these V8's - for centuries - so even a lowly lasgun or servitor would be a hugely unexpected accomplishment.

As it is, they're rather more ... well, I'd propably better just show you.

He fiddles with controls at the desk you're gathered about, and schematics appear, both in holographic representation and blueprints embedded in the desktop. It shows a variety of objects: A drill, some sort of interface with dials and guages, some ammo, and what is clearly some model of red-dot laser sight.

All of these are legal in every way: A high-density drill, an electronic control box - in this case, for automated crop control - high penetration ammo, and a laser sight.

All legal. All way outside of what this planet should be capable of.

Some clever boy may have built all this himself, having heard rumors from the wider empire. But ... he'd need to have built the machines to produce the items. It's thought provoking. It bears looking into.

Simsimillia
2016-09-19, 05:43 AM
"Bribery and corruption, most likely", Kara answered the question of the Arbitrator about how goods could be smuggled past the eyes of authorities. That was how it worked on Sinophia and most likely everywhere else.

A benefactor, Xenos tech, Archeotech, Hereteks, all possible explanations for the situation on Hades II, but speculation from afar wouldn't bring them any good.

"What else can you tell us Scrivener? You mentioned other operatives are we to meet them on planet?"

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-19, 05:50 AM
It was noted in passing by other adepts. Truthfully, a fugitive of ours had done a runner - dreadfully unprofessional to let him slip - and he went to ground in a small settlement called The Stack. As adepts went in to recover this man, they noted the inconsistency.

There is however one man in The Stack they noted as 'possibly trustworthy' - one Efrem One-Eye, a prospector.

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-19, 05:52 AM
"Perhaps something to do with the places themselves, then." If Archeotech was out, it made the mission rather less interesting for Ferrus, but there was no sense complaining about that. He peered at the blueprints, inspecting the patterns. Was there something in here he recognised, some style or component that might provide details about the manufacturer? "I assume we'll be starting in one of those specific places."

Rolling Common Lore (Tech) to try and recognise anything uncommon or unusual about the blueprints. [roll0] vs 21

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-19, 08:31 AM
I leave the details in your capable hands. Though to my mind, it makes sense to:

Interrogate this Efrem.
Visit the settlements in question - they are all located inside Fossil Valley, apparently.
Go from there.
You will also need to decide whether or not to include the governor in your investigation.

He ticks these points off on his fingers as he speaks.

I have passage secured on a charming old tramp called Lazy Wench. It's waiting in berth, and will take you to the governors orbital mansion, as soon as you're set to go.

LairdMaon
2016-09-19, 08:38 AM
Jashugan raises a hand,"Before we go, what's the word on ground transport? Are we finding our own or will the be something there for us, Scrivener?"

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-19, 09:34 AM
You will receive an "expense account" to use as needed - for this sort of mission it will be quite limited, so use it wisely - and additionally, the Quartermaster of the planetside guardsmen, Altus Noxley, will provide you with transportation and a cover story of sorts.

I'm not saying you'll need a cover story, but it can't hurt to blend in. As I said, I leave the details in your capable hands.

Oh, I should add that he informs you he'll send some sort of servitor along. I believe he called it .... Francis.

There is a strange inflection on the "expense account".

LairdMaon
2016-09-19, 09:45 AM
"In that case, sir,"Jashugan snaps to a sharp salute,"I am ready to go!"

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-20, 03:51 AM
Space ports are interesting places. Some are among the cleanests, most efficient and functional places in the Imperium. Others are more like grimy, dirty sweatshops. This one is one of the latter, a place far from the glories of the Imperial Navy, the great merchant cartels or even the slightly shady dealings of the rogue traders. This is an industrial port, where huge quantities of goods and on- and offloaded. Dirty men toil, huge zero-g cranes shift even larger cargo containers, and there is a racket unimaginable except perhaps on a battlefield.

The Lazy Wench cannot even charitably be called 'charming'. Words that would more readily be associated with it could include old, jury-rigged - or even death trap. On the other hand, it is hard to imagine a less likely vessel to carry appointees of the Inquisition across the galaxy. At least if the Inquisition valued seeing said agents ever again.

As you approach, you are greeted by a worryingly large menial worker, enhanced with spinal reinforcements and powerful armjacks, effectively making him even larger. He grunts a few questions about your business, then directs you up to the bridge - where you encounter a fat, balding man who introduces himself:

Vernon Roache, yer dignitaries - I'm the skipper of this boat, and I'll see ya safely to Hades, don't you worry. I've set aside our best quarters for ye, I hope they measure up to yer usual standard. Well, I guess not really, but it's best we can do.

He leads you to where you'll bunk, and thus you learn the true size of the ship. Built to haul truly staggering amounts of cargo, it is basically a column, engine at one end, bridge at the other - and along this column can be attached gigantic crates holding many, many tonnes of cargo.

Your quarters are actually surprisingly nice and clean, far from the engine, and thus also quiet.

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-20, 03:29 PM
Ferrus made some small mutterings about the usual standards of Adeptus Mechanicus quarters being near loud things. The techpriest, likely the only one, was rather dissapointed that the rooms weren't closer to the engines. He should have liked to have a look at them. Still, he could probably wander over there, given time. There were probably more than a few systems on this derelict rustball of a ship that had been far too long in seeing the ministrations of a proper techpriest.

"How long do you expect transit to take?" He asked Vernon, whenever the opportunity arose.

flame12
2016-09-20, 03:49 PM
Blue took in the ship as she approached it. She wasn't very comfortable with space travel. She preferred the idea of being on a planet, although she knew she would have to get used to traveling between world's for her new position. She sighed and followed the others, trying to forget the nausea she had felt her first time on a ship.

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-20, 04:24 PM
Well y'know wat dey say about t'warp, sir - could be anything from two weeks to twenty years! He utters a slightly nervous laugh. Usually though, it's 12 days of travel.

He pats some random piece of equipment, as if to say 'yep, so ... that's it then, I guess.'

It's unclear whether he knows his passengers are Inquisition, but he clearly knows they're more important than he is.

Simsimillia
2016-09-20, 05:16 PM
The ship didn't look exactly trustworthy, but from her experience the look of Imperium Tech didn't have to say much. Salamanders, Chimeras, Basilisks, Leman Russ, all blocky and ugly as sin, but also sturdy.

To the introduction of the ships skipper, Vernon Roache, Kara could just grin.

"I'm Armoured Recon, everything better than a hole in the ground is already above my standards."

The quarters they got where actually quite comfortable and even quiet all things considered. Not that Kara would've cared much, as a soldier she had learned to take naps at every possible location. It was a necessity as a good night's rest was scarce one had to learn how to sleep when a full regiment of armoured artillery started their bombardment a hundred meters from your tent.

The soldier threw her backpack in one of the bunks to declare it as her own and made herself comfortable in it as well, casually leaning back and resting her head on the heavy bag.

"So we'll be travellin' twelve days, plenty of time to properly get to know each other. Corporal Roland, Kara. Formerly 16th Sinophia Armoured Recon, our Motto was 'We can, we will!'"

LairdMaon
2016-09-20, 09:27 PM
The door opens and a rather large young man dressed in a starched and pressed Arbite uniform that looks to have seen less than one month's wear steps in and looks at everyone. The two affectations to his uniform are a bright red scarf that he wears around his neck and an obviously retooled Armsman-10 sitting on his hip like it is meant to be one with him.

As he walks by each of the acolytes in the room he hands them all a bullet. "A gift. And a prayer. It is my fervent hope that none of us finds need for one extra round, but should that need arise we are now prepared."

He sets his kit down on an empty bunk and turns to face the gathered cell once more. "I am Enforcer Jashugan Ido Masters. I can shoot, I can drive, I work well with others, and I bring the authority of the Adeptus Arbites. Count me as family from here on out and we will be fine."

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-22, 12:28 AM
Ferrus took the bullet and looked down at it, briefly wondering what he was supposed to do with it. Certainly his laspistol couldn't accept it. Rather than voicing any such concerns, however, he pocketed it. The enforcer was likely trying to be nice, or some such thing. Though, he had said to treat him as family...

"I am Technographer LH-122637b, designation Ferrus," he said. "What is your serial number?"

LairdMaon
2016-09-22, 12:44 AM
"Serial number? Oh! My badge number! Geeze, my badge is so new I haven't had the chance to learn the number!Jashugan starts rummaging through his kit and his pockets, frantic to find the badge pinned to his uniform."Hold on a minute! I got it here somewhere..."

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-22, 11:19 AM
With everyone settled, captain Roache uncouples the ship from it's berth. Tugs tow it away from the station, and once clear, huge plasma drives fire and start slowly accelerating the ship towards the jump to warp space.

Should you go to the observation platform above the bridge, you can see the coloumn of blue plasma fire stretch out many, many miles behind. Although highly impressive to look at, Ferrus could inform you that this ship is very slow. It has powerful engines - but is carrying colossal cargo loads.

This is the 41st millenium, and even civilian bulk longhaulers like this one is sure to have some sort of armaments. Being of a military bent, you stalk around the ship, and eventually find the control station for dual defensive batteries - unmanned and dusty. You have enough experience to know that these are decently powerful light lance batteries, servicable and most likely even functional.

In the same room, however, there is also a locked armoury containing - you can see through the armor mesh - the gear to repel boarders or put down mutineers: Shotguns, autorifles, armor.

At one point during the journey, the captain finds you and blurts out: Dear me, I all but forgot - I was entrusted with some trade goods to serve to cover your expenses once you land on Hades II.

He leads you to a small locker, and hands you the key. Inside, you find the strangest 'expense account' you've ever seen: Cans of high-grade promethium, piles of 'graphical' data slates, boxes of chocolate. You get the impression Throne Gelt isn't as highly sort after in the desert as certain other items.

Walking around the ship, Ferrus has to wonder: It's ramshackle and rusty - but not running badly. Certainly, a team of techpriests could have the ship singing like a piano chord, but all things considering, it's humming along quite nicely.

One late night, seeking the solace of the engine roar, Ferrus walks all the way down the length of the ship to the engineering level. Once there, barely noticable over the noise he hears the whir-whir of an electro wrench. Following the sound, he comes across a white-haired, bent-backed old man, wearing a set of goggles vaguely reminiscent of the various lenses and sensors of a tech adept.

The man does not notice Ferrus - but he's working on tuning a plasma coupler, something he surely shouldn't be capable of.

Being an assassin - and doing assassin things - Blue thoroughly checks her berth and surroundings, making herself familiar with exits and hiding spaces and so on. Sneakily taped to the underside of a drawer she finds 100 thrones left there ages ago by a previous occupant. Even more sneakily hidden, behind a vent cover she finds a very nicely made needle pistol - sleek, silent ... not something she's trained for, though.

LairdMaon
2016-09-22, 01:55 PM
Jashugan takes one sample of each "trade good" back to the bunks along with a hastily scribbled down list of their quantities.

"Anyone want to hazard a guess what the surface value of these are? I mean, if the promethium is for fuel and it's high grade it's likely worth plenty. As for the other items... Delicacies?"

flame12
2016-09-22, 03:05 PM
Before:
Blue takes the bullet handed her and stares at it, before nodding and putting it in a small pouch in her pant leg. When asked for a designation, she sighs and says:
"You can call me Blue."

Now:
Blue takes the thrones when no one is looking (assuming she can) but leaves the pistol. A weapon she can't use is dead weight to her. As she travels the ship she takes particular note of any hiding places big enough for a single person to hide without effort but that are too small for two people to comfortably hide.

After searching the ship for a while, she returns to the bunk and tries to meditate to calm her nerves as the travels go on.

As she looks at the goods, she nods. "Likely things the local populace was able to get more frequently back when trade was better. As for their value, your guess is as good as mine, probably better. I suspect the fuel will be the priciest item we bring down per unit though "

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-22, 04:34 PM
Ferrus looked at the items. "Low-technology world, little Imperial contact, possibly still using barter system. Prsence of internal combustion engines has been confirmed, and so they would need fuel. The other things? Valuable goods they cannot otherwise obtain."

Ferrus walked up behind the man, though hopefully not so close as to startle him. The techpriest had noticed that most people disliked being startled, though he wasn't quite sure why. "Conversational greetings," he said. "Where did you learn to do that?"

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-23, 05:44 AM
The old man is startled - then terrified to find himself face-to-face with an envoy of the Omnissiah. He stumbles over his words, and stutters out: I .. I .. here and there, noble sir. I'm sorry, I mean no harm by it. I know all the proper ways and chants and incantations are unknown to me, sir. I just picked up little tidbits, sir, and try to do mine to keep the old boat afloat sir.

Am I ... am I in trouble, sir? Will you turn me into ... a servitor?

The mans dread is almost palpable.

The funny thing about the pile of different stuff in the 'expense account' is that on any type of advanced world, it would be a few hundred thrones at most. But supply and demand determine value, and you have to assume these things are of far greater value where you're going.

The ship rumbles on through the endless void, without incident. Soon enough, the transition into the warp awaits.

Unless you guys have things you urgently want to do while aboard the ship, I'll just fast forward to docking above Hades II.

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-23, 04:37 PM
In all measurable ways, the journey through the warp is hardly discernible from the trip through the void. The rumble of the plasma engines is replaced by the hum of the gellar fields - but other then that, everything remains the same. Except the observation platform is locked, of course.

Immesurably, there is a difference. Every night for the seven days you're in the warp, each of you has the same nightmare. In it, a blood soaked humanoid watches you patiently, with a hateful glare - just waiting, as a sense of dread rises, and rises .... finally, he leaps from his perch - and you wake, shaken and sweaty.

Leaving the warp is a huge relief - and arriving at the orbital mansion of the planetary governor is a balmy break from ... basically anything you've ever known before. Once the ship is safely docked, you are escorted by liveried guards into the presence of his excellence.

Even if you've never smoked expensive tobacco - once you smell it, you know. Even if you've never seen the highest quality amasec - actually, what is called 'brandy' by an ancient word whose origin is long forgotten - there is a certain lustre to it's golden color that tells you immediately: This is the realest stuff.

The governor himself greets you, politely, but without the deference one might expect towards the inquisition. It occurs to you that Maldanis never informed you what aliases you were to be travelling under.

You are offered seats, drinks, a pipe of the finest smelling tobacco, fresh fruit - luxuries you've never before encountered.

Welcome to Hades, good assayers, speaks he, I must say the news of the colony isn't likely to be very good. Since the last inspection a decade ago, productivity has continued to decline.

I realise you'll need to form your own impressions planetside, and deliver a full report. I meant only to give my personal account.

Do you have questions for me, before departing for the delightful heat and dryness below? I imagine you must. I am at your full disposal.

LairdMaon
2016-09-23, 05:08 PM
"Governor,"Jashugan speaks up,"we may prefer to go about this inspection in a clandestine manner. How much support can we count on you for? Equipment, vehicles, authorizations and such?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-23, 06:28 PM
"I am not biologis, and as far as I am aware the ship is not in great need of further servitors." Ferrus looked at the coupling. "The pursuit of knowledge is an admirable trait. If you show an aptitude for such work, perhaps you should petition to join the Mechanicus."

Ferrus blinked at the governor. Such extravagance! He of course declined the various drinks and things, having had much of his throat and mouth replaced ages ago with his holy implants. Nutrient paste inserted through a proper induction port, that was the best method of sustenance intake. "Please elaborate on colonial productivity," he asked the governor.

Simsimillia
2016-09-23, 08:07 PM
Kara held herself in the background, enjoying the smokes and drink they were offered. She despised people like this Governor. They lived a nice live with all the comforts on a space station above their world, while their people suffered down below. Not that would prevent her from taking advantage of the luxuries while she was there.

flame12
2016-09-24, 12:57 AM
Blue decides to indulge herself and try this so called 'brandy', but listens intently as the others ask their questions. She tastes it, and can't help but be angry at the governor. This is just excessive for a mission briefing. I have seen indulgent before, but this governor is something else.

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-24, 03:57 PM
"Governor,"Jashugan speaks up,"we may prefer to go about this inspection in a clandestine manner. How much support can we count on you for? Equipment, vehicles, authorizations and such?"

A prudent question, but I fear the answer will be unsatisfactory for us both. Look at the planet below us: It has more than 500 million square clicks of surface area. None of that is oceans - all of it is desert.

I have under my command one company of guardsmen here in orbit, and another company at the planetside stronghold. 200 men total.

Everywhere else, the various mining concerns govern themselves. And the mining concerns, let's be honest, are 'companies' in the exact same way that the fanes of Gunmetal on Scintilla are 'companies'. They are gangs that own production facilities.

When you journey outside of a few minutes travel of the stronghold - you are on your own. I cannot deploy troops to help you, I cannot fly in to extract you.

On the other hand: Inside the stronghold, you're safe as houses. The population might scale the walls, but they have access to nothing that would breach the bunkers.

Ferrus blinked at the governor. Such extravagance! He of course declined the various drinks and things, having had much of his throat and mouth replaced ages ago with his holy implants. Nutrient paste inserted through a proper induction port, that was the best method of sustenance intake. "Please elaborate on colonial productivity," he asked the governor.

At this, the governor seems ... pensive.

When he replies, he choses his words carefully.

The colony has been following following the curve of predicted decline for decades. New deposits are still being discovered, but at a rate less than the old ones running out. We have the report from the last team to visit - I'll have it trasferred to your data slates.

Kara held herself in the background, enjoying the smokes and drink they were offered. She despised people like this Governor. They lived a nice live with all the comforts on a space station above their world, while their people suffered down below. Not that would prevent her from taking advantage of the luxuries while she was there.

Blue decides to indulge herself and try this so called 'brandy', but listens intently as the others ask their questions. She tastes it, and can't help but be angry at the governor. This is just excessive for a mission briefing. I have seen indulgent before, but this governor is something else.

You are being given the welcome expected for off-world dignitaries. It's not wildly elaborate or over the top by any means.

This is more of ... you guys are honestly in the dark about that info the governor has been given on you. But what's more, he seems a little uncertain of what to make of you himself. He clearly takes for you assayers - experts here to guage the output of the colony - but he doesn't know why. After all, the decline is entirely predicted. Has been essentially since the colony was founded.

LairdMaon
2016-09-24, 04:36 PM
"Well then,"Jashugan tries to sound slightly put out and picks up a lho-stick,"no manpower, it sound like no vehicles. So perhaps you can give us a little more information. The gangs. What is there to know about them? Where are they and how much territory do they have? I assume there is a list of the animals we can expect to find down there in the report?"
When he finishes his questions he lights the lho-stick and takes a long drag.

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-25, 01:17 AM
Your scribe, Maldinas, wrote ahead, and enlisted the aid of the planetside quartermaster. There will be vehicles waiting.

The mining concerns are too many to mention, but at least they are easily quantifiable: Each controls a mine, a town, a piece of land. Maybe they have a metal works or refinery, but that is rare - most of the actual processing is done in the capitol. They are basically rabble, ill-organised and poorly disciplined thugs waving stub-auto's about.

The desert gangs are far worse. Face-painted raving lunatics in fast vehicles who strap explosives to their bodies, add ether to their fuel, and basically happily risk their own lives for even the chance of taking the lives of others.

The wild life is difficult, for two reasons: In the early years of the colony, many concerted efforts were made to catalogue the native species. Almost to a man, the researchers died, disappeared or returned mad. Such efforts as were even partially succesful have long been made obsolete by the fact that the hostility of the desert forces a high rate of mutation.

I do know this: Almost all living things on this planet need to kill, and drink blood, to compensate for the scarcity of water.

Oh, and avoid the storms. The storms are bad.

And by the way, you already know about the vehicles and the quartermaster. You even know his name (Altus Noxley), indicating that Maldanis likely considers him more important than the governor.

LairdMaon
2016-09-25, 01:57 AM
"That covers my concerns, governor. Thanks much!" With a tap on a pack of the decadent lho-sticks, which he then pockets, Jashugan makes himself ready to move on.

And then picks up a small bottle of amasec. With a glance at the governor,and holding the bottle up,"If the storms are so bad, a bit of liquid courage seems in order."

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-25, 05:52 PM
You will of course have full access to any files or data available here if you need it.

Meanwhile, only a single heavy lifter remains operational, and that craft is currently taking on cargo planetside. It will be 30 hours before it has returned to orbit, unloaded, reloaded with supplies for the colony, and is ready to take you down there.

In the interim, I suggest you avail yourselves of the luxuries the station has to offer - you will miss them soon enough, trust me.

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-25, 06:05 PM
"I will avail myself of all available data," Ferrus announced, producing his dataslate. "Previous reports, known deposits, data on all mining settlements. Meteorological projections, if you have them."

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-25, 06:34 PM
Previous reports paint a dismal picture. The planet has been in a steady decline for a long time. The work seems solid, and over such a long time line, there is very little margin for statistical error. This planet will be entirely unsustainable within 30-40 Terra Standard Years.

Known deposits are scattered fairly evenly around the planet, with higher concentrations along fault lines past and present.

Meteorological data seems erratic, but does clearly indicate a highly 'energetic' atmosphere. Most of the water on this world is trapped in semi-permanent storms that race hither and dither. These are easily powerful enough to carry debris, sand, rocks and other unpleasantness and shred the unprotected to ribbons.

There are records visitors to the planet at irregular intervals. A few of these, including the last one four years ago, is noted as MIA.

flame12
2016-09-25, 08:05 PM
"I'd like to know more about the leadership of these gangs. Do we have any information about who runs each of the bigger groups, or do they change leaders so quickly that it becomes difficult to track then that too would be useful to know."

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-26, 12:11 AM
We have complete records of who signed off on the latest tithe, and how much it was - but other than that, we don't know much about the various groups. And there are thousands of groups across the planet, there is no way for me to guess which information you need - but you can download all of it, and access it as needed.

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-26, 04:12 AM
"Several visitors have been reported MIA," Ferrus noted. "Is it known what happened to them? We would not want to encounter the same fate."

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-26, 09:07 AM
Um ... it is not know precisely what happened to them, no. There is an established pattern of people sent to discover the fates of others suffering the same fate. It's a cycle we've learned not to feed.

So overall, disappearances of this sort are notched up to the planet doing what it does best: Chewing up and spitting out anything and anyone it can sink it's yellowed fangs into. Hades is not to be taken lightly.

The governor seems to debate with himself whether to go on, then does so, weighing his words carefully.

There is a rift, a deep scar left behind as the continents drifted and the planet cooled, and eventually the moisture all evaporated. It's called Fossil Valley. On top of being highly unstable, it is also the most dangerous part of the planet in terms of hostile wildlife, mentally deranged gangs and and dangerous weather.

If I had to make any one, single recommendation, it would be - in so far as possible - to do your work in other places than there.

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-27, 07:40 AM
That night, Jashugan sneaks out into the corridors of the station/mansion, to fill a spare rucksack with material for barter.

The station is by no means dead at night. Guards patrol - though admittedly they are not at high alert. Being on a space station, the greatest risk is (usually) boredom. It seems to not have occurred that visiting off-world officials might go on stealing sprees.

More concern are the everpresent servants - cleaning, preparing the next days meals, setting tables and arranging flowers.

Jashugan does his best to avoid doing anything super questionable while in sight of anyone, and largely succeeds .... until he's in the smoking lounge, greedily stuffing cut tobacco into his bag just as the major domo (insomnia, maybe) wanders in.

The man looks down his nose, much as if he'd caught a rat trying to make off with the silverware.

You realize of course that I'm responsible for maintaining our stock, right?

Telling you what to roll would be much too easy. No, you tell me how you want to fix this one :p

LairdMaon
2016-09-27, 09:53 AM
"Hmm, you make a point. You want an account of what I'm taking?"Jashugan continues his task of filling the bag,"After all, weren't we instructed to indulge ourselves?"

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-27, 10:28 AM
There things aren't locally produced. Take this much, we'll likely have to wait months for resupply. I ... wait, is that cheese you have in there? That's my cheese! I need that for the kitchen. I'm fairly certain the invitation to indulge yourselves meant to use, consume, here, as much as you like - not stock for all foreseeable future.

I'm certain he didn't invite you to also raid the kitchen!

He steps closer, annoyed but not discernibly close to violent rage.

I assume you intend to use these items for barter planetside. You might have simply asked, you know.

For instance, had you asked, you might have learned what the most valuable type of goods would be.

He says this light with a slight sneer - this sneer communicating that he'd love to show off precisely how much cleverer he is than you.

LairdMaon
2016-09-27, 11:10 AM
Jashugan sets down the tobacco in his hand."You have a great idea there! Let's say I'd gone the wiser route and come to you" he hands the man the entire rucksack,"instead. How would this have played out?"

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-27, 11:58 AM
Looking smug and terribly clever with himself, the major domo replies: You know what a bunch of crazy motorists really need and are patently incapable of producing on a world with very vegetation, even less chemical industry and absolutely no large scale distribution infrastructure?

Vulcanized! Rubber! Or failing that, material for patches.

Come with me.

He takes you to a storage locker in the dock the surface transport will eventually dock in. He swings open the door, and inside are rows of tires, inner tubes, and boxes full of repair materials.

I suggest you take, say, two sets of inner tubes, rings and a box of repair stuff, when you leave for the surface. Just ... walk in here like you own the place, and cart it on board. No one going to bat an eye. Not unless the master sergeant is around.

LairdMaon
2016-09-27, 12:11 PM
"See? I wouldn't have come up with on my own! May I ask for one more piece of advice? When, would you say, would be the best time to collect this cargo?" Jashugan colors his praises with gestures of deference to his benefactor's greater wisdom.

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-27, 12:25 PM
Just before take-off. You don't want anyone carrying it back out again once if they discover it's not meant to be there.

LairdMaon
2016-09-27, 01:27 PM
"Please accept my full thanks! Shall we head back to the smoking room for some indulgence? I'd love to hear whatever more wisdom you might have to share with me."

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-28, 05:35 AM
The major domo sends Jashugan a dirty look.

Sir - I have a job to perform. And you have an important mission tomorrow, and should be sleeping.

He walks away briskly, keeping the rucksack full of loot. He'll return that to it's proper place, surely.

No more freebies for you, sir!

LairdMaon
2016-09-28, 07:40 AM
And Jashugan heads back to get some sleep after a surprisingly profitable night.

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-30, 04:27 AM
The next morning, as the sun crests the planet below in an orgy of red and gold, you all gather at the heavy industrial lifter that is the only bridge between the planet, and orbit. There is a lot of activity going on, men in work clothes busily loading the ship with supplies going planetside. In the confusion and bustle, no one notices as Jashugan grabs a handtruck, and wheels his newfound treasures on board.

Everything goes smoothly, but at the last moment, another group of passengers joins you for the ride to the surface. Three of them, two men and a woman, wearing fairly mundane clothes (though one is in fatigues), and carrying no weapons other than a sidearm each.

The man wearing fatigues - older, wide of shoulder and with the kind of eyes that have seen combat - smiles in a friendly manner, extends his hand, and says:

Hi - I'm Grimsby. I run the planetside fuel depot and oversee the launch pad - vital tasks, since if either fails, there's no way off the planet for anyone. We just managed to finish up here in time to catch the ride back down.

He points to the other two.

This is Jenel, my engineer, and Brogan, my ... what is it you do again, Brogan?

Brogan, deadpan, replies: I handle relations with the locals and the guard. I also drive you when needed, cause you're a bloody liability. And I cook, because no one else in this hole has any clue, and we'd starve if I didn't.

Soon, as the dock releases the ship with a shuddering clank, you drop towards the surface. The engines fire, and you all feel slightly sick at the violent acceleration towards the planet. Over the noise of the engine, Grimsby shouts:

So you're assayers, eh? Where do you plan to visit first? Just troop around the capital and take notes, like the last guys?

Simsimillia
2016-09-30, 05:28 AM
Kara hadn't said much the other evening with the governor, which was most likely for the best. While she enjoyed the luxury it had also made her feel uncomfortable, she wasn't used to it and there had been a good chance she would've blown their cover by running her mouth.

Now, the next morning she was well rested. She had risen early worked out a little and given her gear another routine check before packing up again and head to the heavy lifter. When "Bullet" (as she called Jashugan inher mind) loaded a stack of tires onto the lander she raised an eyebrow and was about to ask him about that when they were approached by another group.

She shook Grimsby's hand, who had a firm grip just like herself. She recognized that the man had seen some action, experience spoke from his eyes.

"Kara Roland, I handle security."

Claiming to do anything else would do her no good, clad in a light flak armour and carrying her M35 slung over her shoulder and the Kantreal laspistol in a holster on her tigh. When the heavy lifter accelerated towards the surface Kara felt reminded of orbital storm landings and that uncertain feeling wether or not your craft was still flying towards the surface or already crashed.

"Nah! We're more the adventorous type I think", Kara yelled back over the roaring engines.

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-30, 05:53 AM
High risk, high reward, eh? I guess that makes sense. After all, that's your job as an assayer, right? Scraping out the last few thrones from this rock before we all pack up and leave.

You want risk, you go to Fossil Valley. You go there, look up a man named Creve. He's a guide, he knows the place better than anyone.

Grimsby lapses into silence - in part because he has nothing to add really, but mostly because the ship hits the atmosphere, and with the vibrations of reentry and the engines working overtime, conversation becomes largely impossible.

It's not long before the huge industrial transport settles relatively gently on the landing pad. As you exit, the heat is the first thing you notice. It's oppressive, and the sweat starts instantly.

Looking about, you see the city around you. It's a weird patchwork - parts of it well maintained, others fallen into ruin. The dock is the highest point in the city, and located just outside the Imperial stronghold. From this direction, you see a heavyset man approaching, large and bearded carrying various melee, short- and long range weapons. Once inside shouting range, he calls out:

Welcome to Hades. I'm quartermaster Noxley - but, you can just call me Al.

The other group, Grimsby and his people, bid farewell and head off in the direction of the control tower.

LairdMaon
2016-09-30, 08:34 AM
As the shuttle descended from space Jashugan altered his attire, discarding his shirt in favor of flak vest only.

"Hello, Al! How are things dirtside?", he calls. "Got any place we can stash our gear while we take a look around?"

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-30, 10:15 AM
How are things? Hot!

You scribe, Maldinas, instructed us to have wheels ready for you. If you have gear to stow, I suggest you stow it in the trunks? Might as well, right?

He leads you to where three vehicles are parked, two long and powerful looking - if dusty, rusty and peely-painty - ground cars, and one large, heavy engineering vehicle. Tinkering with this last is a robed figure sporting three different mechadendrites, and assisting him is a large, mostly naked figure with bionic manipulator jack mounted to his spine.

Now, these old V8's are each named for the Motor Clan that designed and built them. These two are, respectively, a Charger and a Camaro, explains Al, and if the people who built them knew that they'd be riding together ... well, blood would be shed over such a thing, once.

And the big rig here? Maldinas requested something that would handle every possible situation - and this is the best I could do. It has a winch, a small crane, a turret where you can mount what ever sensory or sighting equipment your work might require. It also holds your spare fuel, water, food and so on.

We're also giving you Francis along for the ride.

At the mention of the name, the servitor looks towards you and make a noise that it takes you a couple of moments to decipher as speech.

++HI.I'M.FRANCIS++

The techpriest, annoyed, mutters You are a Mark IV Bishop servitor - hush, you random hunk of maladjusted meat.

LairdMaon
2016-09-30, 10:45 AM
Jashugan appears to be about to say something when he lays eyes on the truck.
He.
Just.
Stops.

"You mean to say that THAT is for us?"

Laughter, joyous laughter erupts out of Jashugan as he walks up to it and tosses his gear inside.

And quietly,"Maldanis, I owe you one."

Kaptin Keen
2016-09-30, 11:01 AM
Al consults a dataslate before replying: Um, Maldinas. It says your scribe is called Maldinas. But I guess the name of a lowly scribe isn't a thing that sticks. Heh.

But yes, that's for you. Best we could manage. Sorry.

Last bunch brought a whole convoy of vehicles with them. Had one helluva time getting it all down the well.

LairdMaon
2016-09-30, 11:10 AM
Jashugan takes his time looking over the wrecker as though it were precious.

"Al, please, do not apologize for this. You have blessed us well and you have my thanks, sir."

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-30, 11:00 PM
"We thank the Omnissiah for his gift of holy machinery," Ferrus intoned. He wasn't sure quite how stringent about that sort of thing the other techpriest was, and decided to go find out.

"Greetings. May I ask you to inform me of any peculiar quirks in the machine spirits of these vehicles? I expect to be ministering to them for the duration of our time here."

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-01, 01:05 AM
The techpriest retracts his dendrites, and answers:

These machines? Quirks? No! There is a cadence to his mechanical voice, otherwise beyond the hearing of unaugmented humans, that Ferrus equates with humor.

These vehicles have been driving around Hades for more than a hundred years, at least. Production of quality spare parts stopped long ago, and since then, almost every part has been replaced, jury rigged or is now in a poor state.

The spirits of these machines are excentric, to say the least - but I can tell you what I know.

He goes on to explain about fuel consumption, ignition, traction, control, and how the cars feel in the morning after spending night in the freezing cold of the desert.

flame12
2016-10-01, 07:17 PM
Before launch: Blues night was restless, as she still hasn't gotten over there dislike of being in space.

As she heads to the ship, she feels both relief and dread wash over her. Relief at the thought of being planet side once more, and dread at the coming trip.

When the other passengers introduce themselves, Blue walks up to Brogan and smiles as she says
"Nice to meet another all purpose problem solver. They call me Blue."

After landing:
Blue looks over the vehicles and squeals slightly. While she never became a tech priest herself, she did spend a lot of time with its members growing up and learned to appreciate fine pieces of work like the vehicle before her. Ignoring most of the briefing, she joined in listening to the particulars quirks of the machine spirits within.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-02, 05:57 AM
Ferrus took out his dataslate and started making notes, every so often interjecting with questions along the lines of "what is the optimal configuration for the intake valve" and "how often should I check that?" Once he had completed his notes, he thanked the other techpriest for the information and went to see what the rest of the group was doing. Probably something less important, but then everything was less important than learning new things about new machines. Or old machines, as it were.

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-04, 04:23 AM
Al - the quartermaster - nodded and went on:

The vehicles are fuelled and ready - and I'll have my people bring your gear from the landing pad to the truck.

I suppose you have detailed maps and extensive pre-established contacts, but ... if you go south, you will find the Rust Enclave - where the heavy industry of Hades used to be. North, you come to the Battered Mountains, where the most profitable mining used to be. West will take you to the dustbowl - opened later, less profitable, extensive open pit strip mining.

Only place I wouldn't go is east. Fossil Valley lies that way, and ... honestly, it's just too dangerous to be worth it. It's where the last team of assayers went - and they never returnred.

Simsimillia
2016-10-06, 07:41 PM
The rig, the cars, they were right up Kara's alley. Big and mean, built sturdy and to withstand a beating or two, only thing lacking were a few big guns. They were no tanks, but as far as she was concerned they wouldn't actually be going to war.

After inspecting the machines she went to the others.

"Another important question. Who's driving?", a grin flashed across her face "I can, but I think I'm a much better shot."

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-06, 07:46 PM
"What happened in Fossil Valley? We have now heard of the dangers from multiple sources, but no clear answers." Ferrus asked the quartermaster, his work with the vehicles complete for the moment.

"I can drive if required," he added as an aside to the others.

LairdMaon
2016-10-06, 08:52 PM
Jashugan leans out the driver-side window and calls out,"I'll TAKE THIS ONE!"

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-07, 12:23 AM
Al looks slightly puzzled, but replies none the less:

You don't know? Or are you just checking if I know?

Four years ago another group of assayers came. Much bigger getup. Brought a bunch of big rigs down the well, whole lotta equipment. Some sort of private outfit, exploratory, you know - actually looking, right?

You guys, I figure you're more of a science team? Right?

Anyways, so out to Fossil Valley they went. Never to be heard from again. Governor sent a large rescue force, but ... nothing. Just gone, desert took'em.

LairdMaon
2016-10-07, 09:38 AM
As we all spread out to our vehicles Jashugan calls everyone together.

"What say we sync up our 'beads? Better comms through blessed technology." with a nod to Ferrus.

flame12
2016-10-08, 03:18 PM
"Agreed, better to link up now while we can. I get the feeling we may need to change directions in the field, and with three vehicles it would take time to signal to one another through more traditional means."

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-08, 06:44 PM
"Agreed. Set to the same channel." Ferrus went to look in the big utility truck, to see if it had a bigger vox set he could bounce their signals off of for increased range.

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-11, 03:15 PM
The vehicles, once you get inside, are even worse for wear than you'd estimated from the outside. Everything has been replaced, mended, jury-rigged, replaced again, patched, scrapped entirely and reinstalled from a third-party supplier - many times over.

As you turn the keys in the ignition, there is a tired, dusty whirr as the starter drags around the engine without gaining purchase - whirr-whirr-whirr - then, surprisingly, an immensely satisfying rumble as the spark catches and the big machine roars to life, large cylinders firing in a steady rythm.

Sand and dust sprays as you race from the Imperial compound out into the mostly empty streets of the capital city. Heading east, the setting sun at your backs, you come to the realisation that these machines - while hardly the most maneuverable - turn quite a fair speed indeed.

You imagine that in it's heyday, it would have taken hours to leave the city. With hardly any traffic in the streets, you clear it in just over 20 minutes. The road, ill-maintained to the point of dereliction, stretches out before you.

Having been cooped up on a spaceship for so long, you ride through the night and most of the next day. As evening draws near again - so does a small settlement by the name of Malediction.

LairdMaon
2016-10-12, 11:34 AM
There is something about the combination of empty asphalt, endless sky, open desert and the rumble of a large motor under the hood... A peace that can be hard to explain. It conjures up a sense of wellbeing unmatched within city walls.

And yet... Jashugan is not happy. Something has gone wrong here. Innocent folks dead.

As Malediction grows in his windscreen, Jashugan drops to a leisurely 25kmph.

"I vote we go straight on in and knock on the front door. Act like we know what we are doing. Who's with me?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-13, 05:34 AM
"We do know what we are doing," Ferrus pointed out. The dereliction of the road and city, the rumble of improperly maintained engines... it was worse than he'd expected, and he'd been bracing himself for it. He would need to take a serious look at the cars once they had a chance.

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-13, 12:17 PM
Your little convoy rolls into Malediction with a rumble of well-tuned (despite the opinions of certain members of the group) internal combustion engines.

As has been hinted, the towns of Hades II are pretty dedicated, each having a particular role to fulfill. This one was a refinery town, at some point in the past. Now, it is a cannibal, it's livelyhood the decommissioning of the steel hulks that remain of it's past industry. All around, receding into the darkness, are the weird shapes of partly broken down silos, refinery towers, struts of buildings long gone.

A single wide avenue - if one considers packed dirt and dust an avenue - stretches straight through the center of the devastation. A few buildings have lights burning, and uniformly if a building has lights, it also has armed guards. The exception is a large structure, most likely a warehouse at some point in time, that now has a big, gaudy light proclaiming it simply to be:

THE WATERING HOLE

Rednecks. The one thing you never could rightfully accuse them of was a lot of imagination and inventiveness. Outside the place are parked a number of vehicles, all in far worse repair that what you have. Two wheels, three, four - a single ancient machine is a six wheeled halftrack ... thing.

Clearly, this is where you're going if you want to sleep tonight. And you do. Cause you didn't the day before.

LairdMaon
2016-10-13, 01:22 PM
Jashugan climbs out of the truck with a yawn and looks around. He walks inside and finds whoever looks to run the joint and says "Long drive. Gotta bathroom? Priorities, y'know?"
On his way to the restroom he makes sure to get a layout of the establishment.

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-13, 01:41 PM
The Watering Hole is much as you're expect.

It was once a warehouse. Shelves have been placed unto old prometheum drums to make tables, industrial lighting still hangs from the high ceiling, though it is patchy at best. The room is large - very - and clearly divided into sections, not by anything physical, but by what groups hang out where. It appears there are four gangs in this town, and with only one bar, they all gather here.

The atmosphere is quite tense, obviously.

There is a ring here, central to the big room. It is empty now, but odds are some form of ... 'entertainment' ... will take place there later.

The real centerpiece of the place is the bar, though. It is circular, well-crafted, and within it stands a marvel: A polished, beautiful still - intricate, brass and copper and chrome, with numerous spouts and nozzles and taps. You get the impression that, despite everything else here being gone to excrement, the drinks at least are good.

Behind the bar is a bouncer who is big as a house (yes - he's an ogryn), a very twitchy old servitor doddering about the still, and the proprietor. This last is elderly, dressed in a blotchy wife-beater, wears some sort of be-goggled head gear, and a tool belt. He also has, at his side, a hand cannon of epic proportions. He greets you warmly:

Welcome, friends and strangers, to The Watering Hole. I'm Sirta Galvanius, owner, bartender and the only decent supplier of prime liquor on Hades II. What can I get ya?

He also directs you to the privies, in what was once the foreman's office.

Simsimillia
2016-10-13, 07:52 PM
There were many reasons Kara didn't like desert planets like Hades II all that much. At day the sun burned down relentlessly, while in the night the cold crept up on one. The sand got frakking everywhere and the land looked the same, only rarely interrupted by distinguishable landmarks. It was especially difficult after sidding in the saddle a night and a day.

Kara operated one of the faster cars and was just about to smear some of the grey and smelly zinc paste into her face that helped against sunburn when Malediction came into sight. A sigh of relief came from her lips. Finally some rest.

When they rolled into town a few hours later, she could see that it was about as bad as she expected. It reminded her of Sinophia, her homeworld, only with more desert.

When they reached the middle of town, she parked the car with the others and climbed out of it stretching her sore limbs. Then she locked the vehicle up and followed the others into the bar.

The inside was even more familiar, she knew this kind of place back from Sinophia, only with the distinct difference that each gang usually each occupied their own place. How the owner managed to maintain order was baffling to her, though it may had something to do with the Ogryn behind the counter.

While they walked up the bar, she quickly briefed the others.

"In case you didn't notice. Four gangs present, each occupying their corner. Keep your eyes open."

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-20, 12:37 AM
"What? Gangs? Yes, yes. Hopefully they'll stay in their corners."

Ferrus wandered over to the bar, greeted the bartender, and started asking questions about the still. Who had built it? It looked better maintained than enything else he had seen on this world. What kind of alcohol did it make?

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-20, 12:41 AM
The bartender is silent for a moment, then says:

Can it be true? Has the day finally come?

Tell me, my friend - are you like all the rest, and happy to poison your body with rotgut, and praise the lowly swill of amasec that has spread across the galaxy as if it were the blessing of the Emprah?

Or have you finer aspirations? Legendary aspirations?

LairdMaon
2016-10-20, 08:44 AM
Jashugan returns from the "foreman's office and takes a seat next to Ferrus.

"Galvanius, we will each take a cup of your finest liquor. The road is dry and so are we, ha!"

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-20, 09:04 AM
My finest liquor. Let me tell you ...

As he speaks, he reverently picks a bottle of golden liquid from a shelf below the bar.

In days of ancient past - before there was Imperium, or even Emperor - in the fabled Scotia Land, there was brewed an Ambrosia of the gods. From purest spring water and grains grown under the golden glow of the sun, a mash was made ...

He brings out - not cups, but tumblers - and pours the liquor. It seems thicker than water, somehow possessed of a magical quality, to bend light, to almost glow on it's own.

This mash, burned over a gentle, peaty fire, was destilled into the finest of beverages, and stored on casks of the Ygdrassilean wood: Ouisge. Like so many of our finest achievements, it was lost to the ravages of time.

He places a glass in front of each of you.

The liquor hits you like molten gold. It is strong, and has a sharp but distinctly pleasant flavor - the alcohol is there, but also the peaty flavors, and hints sweetness, even nuts or honey.

It is perhaps the finest thing you ever tasted.

It burns, at first. Then, the unpleasant taste of peat, and maybe tar? Rope? Crates of fish?

It may be the worst thing you ever tasted.

A look of great sadness settles on his face:

Of course, this being Hades, not Scotia Land, I have none of the actual required ingredients. Everything is achieved via alchemy, which is the sole function of my still: To rebuild the liquors of a finer age of man!

LairdMaon
2016-10-20, 10:24 AM
"Oh..."Jashugan swirls the liquid gold in his mouth and, eventually, swallows."Oh, my! How did you manage to come upon this?"

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-20, 01:16 PM
Long, painstaking research and dedication. Of course I cannot know if it tastes anything like the original product.

I wasn't born on Hades, you know. I was born on Nostrum - but a long, long time ago, Nostrum was called something else: Nova Terra. And in truly ancient times, enormous effort was apparently invested in making Nova Terra as close to a perfect copy of Holy Terra as was possible. Including importing original plants and livestock.

Meaning Nova Terra may have been the very last place in the galaxy where the original process was known.

Only brewing has stalled since we ran out of premium fuel for the still. What we can produce locally just makes everything taste of engine grease.

LairdMaon
2016-10-20, 01:38 PM
"Well, my friend, speaking of things needed, I believe my companions and I will require a place to bed down for the night and... some information. I'm sure we can settle on a reasonable price for all of us. Interested?" Jashugan leans back in his seat and swirls the liquor in the tumbler.

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-20, 02:50 PM
I have some rooms in back I can let you have. What sort of information are you looking for?

LairdMaon
2016-10-20, 02:57 PM
With a nod to Kara, Ferris and Blue, Jashugan says, "Honestly, they are much better at asking questions than I am. I'm here cause I look good, ha ha!"

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-20, 11:05 PM
Ferrus inspected the glass of amber liquid and carefully tasted it. It tasted like.. peat? Maybe a little sweetness in there, but still. Very strange, making a drink that tasted like highly acidic partially decomposed vegetable matter. Not taht he would tell the bartender, of course, since the man seemed so fond of it. A brief scan of his memory on the word Ouisge produced a handful of notes on archaic language forms, but nothing of any actual use. Fuel, though? Fuel was something he understood.

"What sort of fuel does the still use? I wish to see the device in operation." Remembering that they did have a job to do here, he added "Oh, and I also wish to know whatever you may have heard about a surveying team that passed through a few years ago."

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-21, 11:12 AM
Well you know - anything that burns hot and pure. Fumes from burning low grade promethium for instance fouls the flavors. A really high octane fuel would do the trick, gas or even liquid if pure enough.

You know I tell the locals that the town witch magicked the still to work, but really it's just a long process of trial and error. And experimenting with local substitutes for the real thing.

He thinks a bit on the question about the surveyors.

There was a team, came through a few years back. Big outfit, never seen such huge machines. I don't actually know what they were up to, but .... machines like that ...

He falls silent.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-22, 07:32 AM
"If it's the fumes that foul the still, I wonder if perhaps better sealant..." Ferrus mused, before considering the implications of the previous group having large machines. "What sort of machines were they? Digging machines?"

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-22, 08:23 AM
You know ... I'm not entirely sure. Outside my area of expertise, to be sure. But maybe I'm not completely conveying the size of the project - huge ship in orbit, their own small fleet of surface transports, giant convoy of ground vehicles. Big ones. Carrying all sorts of supplies. I swear they could have built their own factory with all that.

But what it was all about? Couldn't say.

Then, months later, everything our governor has in terms of military hardware rolls through on a rescue mission. Failed though - too late.

LairdMaon
2016-10-22, 08:29 AM
Jashugan turns to take stock of the attendant gangs, watching to see of any are particularly interested in us or our conversation.

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-22, 08:31 AM
As more drinks are had by all, tempers are also rising. Insults are shouted, and apparently, offers of wagers. It poses the question of precisely what the ring is for.

LairdMaon
2016-10-22, 08:46 AM
As casually as he can, Jashugan saunters over to the ring and takes a good look at it. He circles it twice to examine it from all angles.

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-22, 09:15 AM
If it hadn't been built from sandbags, this would have been suitable for the ancient gentlemanly art of pugilism. There is a relative scarcity of bloodstains. Most likely, this is for bare-knuckle fights.

LairdMaon
2016-10-22, 09:40 AM
Jashugan, careful nor to spill any of his precious drink, returns to his seat muttering "Fun times, light bloodsport."

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-22, 09:59 AM
Catching the words, Sirta confides: Not to be scoffed at, honestly - I put the ring in to get the boys to settle their scores there and save my furniture. But since then, there's been less shootings, too. Used to be, every other day some poor schmuck got offed in the street.

I mean ... that still happens, but less frequently, you know?

As you speak, chanting erupts around the room as two men - one covered in rather natty tattoos, the other with some sort of red dye in his hair and runic designs painted on his face - enter the ring and start laying about with their fists.

LairdMaon
2016-10-22, 10:07 AM
"Oh no! Don't get me wrong! I understand completely. Very smart thinking. Dueling is a great way to settle the score between violent groups."

"They, uh, don't mind outsider spectators, do they?"

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-22, 12:19 PM
Not at all - but mind that someone will almost certainly try to get you in the ring with them.

LairdMaon
2016-10-22, 12:25 PM
Suddenly very interested in the surface of the bar, Jashugan says "Nope, not looking for any of that tonight."

flame12
2016-10-24, 08:29 PM
While Blue had been watching the gangs during the initial conversation, she did take the whiskey and savored it as she let the flavor wash over her. A rather large grin spreads across Blues face at the idea of being brought into a ring fight. She slowly slinks over to the ring, intent on getting a better seat for the upcoming show.

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-25, 02:04 AM
The fights, while generally unarmed, are chaotic at best. Without a referee, anything seen as unfair by either side will trigger groups of people leaping into the ring - the fight devolving into a confused melee.

No one really seems to mind this much.

But as the evening goes on, it seems more prominent gang members fight each other. Bets are made for all fights, but when the lieutenants fight, they fight over something. It could be to resolve an issue, or they might fight over the rights to scrap, demolish or decommission a particular part of the old industrial complex.

Eventually, a man comes over. He's the sort of man you'd expect to find in a place with little access to water, running or otherwise: Dirty, smelly, unkempt.

Fite'ya fer d'rig outside, I will. Wat'say'e?

Simsimillia
2016-10-25, 07:07 AM
Kara wasn't too happy about what she heard about the former survey team. It sounded like they had all the ressources they needed and still failed. The liquor provided by the barkeeper was interesting, it had flavour, not like the usual rotgut and cheap amasec that just burned down your throat, she was used to.

She joined Blue, watching the rather chaotic fights and contemplating wether or not she should join in. Then a man who looked and smelled like he had been cowering from artillery fire in a foxhole for a month. It took Kara a moment to process what he was asking. Risking their Rig in a bet was a stupid idea, but she played along for the moment.

"Depends, what's your bet?"

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-25, 07:26 AM
Got much y'need. Got plasm. Got info. Got tech.

He lifts a bundle off his shoulder, and unrolls it on the floor in front of you. He has all sorts of strange plunder: There are various energy weapons in dire need of repair - relics of a time on this planet when power was easier to get then gunpowder. Grenades that look marginally safer than the weapoons. Something you recognize as an auspex - rather an old model.

Among his scrap are items of actual value: An old plasma gun. A plasma grenade too. A scope that looks like it could be repaired - the lenses are fine, but the housing has taken a beating.

And there, in among all his second-hand junk, is a las gun - sparkling new, though the pattern is an old one. And not just any old las pattern. There is a sunburst emblem on it that looks weirdly familiar to you. This is a weapon of fine quality.

You may roll appropriate rolls to identify the las weapon. Or other junk.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-25, 05:07 PM
Ferrus shuffled a little closer when the salvage came out. The lasgun looked oddly familiar, but he couldn't place it for certain. He'd have to make a query to the archivist when he got back. If he got back. Gambling the rig was foolish and unecessary, and gambling sacred technology at all sat poorly with the more deeply instilled tenets of the Cult Mechanicus. The techpriest turned down his olfactory input and sidled up to Kara.

"Are we really going to risk the truck?" He asked, quietly. "Losing would be extremely suboptimal."

flame12
2016-10-28, 01:02 AM
"I wasn't planning on betting the truck, no. Win or lose, I plan to come out ahead, and losing a third of our vehicles isn't a winning move in my mind." Kara whispered to the man, as she herself felt that betting the rig was inherently wrong.

LairdMaon
2016-10-28, 01:35 AM
Jashugan watches on from the bar, waiting to see what happens with this gamble.

He mutters a prayer to the God-Emperor.

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-28, 01:43 AM
The unwashed scum mutters well, are'y game or no? Any two'o dese fer d'truck. Then, realising that offer might not be entirely irresistable he amends, any three!

Simsimillia
2016-10-30, 07:29 PM
"Mmmh, gimme, a sec. I'll have to discuss this with my comrades", Kara says and let's her eyes wander over the merch. Most of it was crap, but she could see some real beauties in there and some real high tech too. Especially the las-rifle.

She turned around to the other acolytes, cutting the man out of the conversation and speaking in a low tone.

"Risking the rig is probs a bad idea. But have you guys seen what this guy has. That las-rifle and the plasma gun are high-tech! Aren't we supposed to investigate some kind of spike in tech-level? He might be connected to it. I say we try to bargain him down to one of the cars. Maybe we can also buy him a few drinks, get some info out of him where he got his stuff...also, I really want that lasgun."

She turned around again facing the man, trying to size him up.

"Am I fighting you or are you just arranging the fight?"

Ok, Kara is trying size up the man hoping to determine how tough he would be compared to her (ie how she sees her chances in the ring against him) I think that would be a PER check?

[roll0] vs PER 42 --> ouch!

Kaptin Keen
2016-10-31, 01:16 AM
Obviously, Kara has no doubt she can beat this guy.

Kaptin Keen
2016-11-07, 03:28 PM
Slowly ... steadily ... a chant has been building. While everyone has been staring at the pile of strange loot, contraband or whatever it is the man has, no one really picked it up until too late.

Suddenly, though, it's obvious enough to drown out everything:

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

The flood of people is impossible to resist. Before she knows it, Kara finds herself in the ring - opposite, her opponent is already stripping out of his jacket, sporting a ribbed torso tattoo'd with the word MACK across his chest. There is also what appears to be some sort of quadruped animal. You dunno.

He looks sort of like this:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/tribeca_cms_production/uploads/uploads/image/gallery_image/526953a5852862dc52000002/snatch.jpg
And .. this is his tattoo:
https://www.mack-shop.com/eshop/content/images/thumbs/0001993_mack_4_logo_magnet.jpg

As both fighters - voluntarily or not - are in the ring, the chant changes to:

Mackie! Mackie! Mackie!

Obviously, this guy is some sort of local champion. He seems to have the support of everyone.

He starts out by doing some stretches.

LairdMaon
2016-11-07, 03:43 PM
Jashugan pushes and elbows his way to Kara's corner. Kara... Are you going to be alright in there?

Destro_Yersul
2016-11-07, 09:16 PM
Ferrus edges towards the door. Should the fight go poorly, they might need to leave in a hurry, and he had no intention of giving up one of their vehicles. The others would have to grab Kara.

Simsimillia
2016-11-08, 12:09 PM
So she was fighting him, who quickly turned out to be named Mack and quite famous with the local crowd. Great

There was no backing out now. She followed her opponents example, stripping her gear and down to her fatigue pants and a sports brah. Kara handed her stuff to the Arbitrator. "Well, I guess I don't have much of a choice in the matter."

After a stretching a bit as well she got into position, waiting for Mack to finish his show.

I assume an Initiative Roll is in order:
[roll0]
(Ag 35 + Paranoia)

For combat my actions are, regardles wether I go first or second:

Aim (Half Action)
Standard Attack:
[roll1] TN: 47
(WS 37 + Aim)

Kaptin Keen
2016-11-08, 01:18 PM
Cleverer than Gorgeous Gorge, at least.

I need to read up on unarmed combat - I've literally never used those rules. Hang on a moment.

Ok - I've got it.

Initiative: [roll0]
All-out attack: [roll1] vs 60 (WS40+20 for all-out attack - meaning also no parries or dodges)
Damage: [roll2]

On a hit, armor counts double (not relevant, I know), and you gain 1 level of fatigue.

Once the fight starts, it's immediately obvious that Mackie knows what he's doing. He's fast, strong and highly aggressive. Also, he seems entirely oblivious to any danger of getting hit himself. He manages to land a decent punch on Kara, sliding a low hook around her blocking defense, doing little real damage but showing that he can do so.

Kaptin Keen
2016-11-14, 05:59 AM
Mackie is clearly an experienced, competent fighter. He knows his strengths and fights to them. He uses aggression, skill and heavy blows to his advantage.

It matters little, however. For all his power, Kara is the more elegant, more intelligent fighter. She easily dances around Mackie, avoiding his punches, countering hard, dodging and weaving. It's actually rather embarassing: When Mackie slumps to the ground, dazed and incoherent, Kara hasn't been hit a single time.

There is a stunned silence for a few seconds, as everyone realizes their champion has lost - to a stranger, and a girl at that - then the large room erupts in insane cheers. Shots are fired into the air, and a dozen men and women crowd into the ring to concratulate Kara.

LairdMaon
2016-11-14, 10:24 AM
When shots ring out Jashugan immediately looks for potential threats. Recognizing that the shots were just part of the celebration allowed him to relax a little so he could focus on staying close to Kara.

Destro_Yersul
2016-11-14, 06:09 PM
The fight seemed to have gone well, Ferrus thought, at least judging by the expressions of exuberance. Any three of the things in that fellow's collection then. Ferrus hurriedly scuttled over to where the assortment of salvage had been left. Was anyone looking at him? He checked around to be sure.

Kaptin Keen
2016-11-14, 06:54 PM
No one had eyes on Ferrus - even if it was slightly hard to be sure in all the ruckus, but most everyone had their backs turned. Of course somewhere inside the crowd would be Mackie himself, and he might have tender feelings about his bundle of treasures. But for the time being, he'd most likely be busy finding out which direction was up.

Looking at the things arrayed, there are bits and bobs of various types of tech: A scope, an auspex, an old plasma rifle with wires sticking out and containment fields that like very shady to Ferrus. There is a plasma grenade too, slightly less risky for it's user than the rifle.

And then, pristine like it just rolled off the assembly line, a lasgun. Slightly bulky, but not because of bad workmanship: No, this thing is bulky because it is high-powered. And there is that sunburst.

Roll anything relevant - if you have it, I fail to recall - that might tell you more about the sunburst.

Destro_Yersul
2016-11-15, 11:52 PM
Ferrus set aside the lasgun and the old auspex first, briefly considering the plasma rifle. Its machine spirits were likely rather furious at the state of the weapon. He lacked the knowledge to repair it, and it would likely be very dangerous to use. With some regret, the techpriest left it where it was and picked the scope instead. These three were set aside as winnings for the group, and the remainder were rolled back up into their bundle.

"This belongs to the defeated man," Ferrus told the bartender, leaving the bundle near the bar and taking the three things he'd picked out to the truck to put them safely away. Mackie could hardly complain about losing the bet, but stealing from him would be another matter and Ferrus had no desire to be shot today.

Simsimillia
2016-11-17, 09:53 AM
Kara was breathing heavily, her knuckles were cut open and bloody from her own and her opponents blood. She was exhausted, but she had won and now people crowded around her, cheering for her. Mackie had been a good fighter, but Kara had been on her a-game and had barely been touched by the other man. She fought her way through the crowd towards the rest of the Acolytes with a trimphant grin on her face. "HAH! HAHAHAHA! I WON!", she stated the obvious and placed herself on one of the bar stools. "Give me another one of those house drinks of yours", she said to the barkeeper while lighting one of her cheap lho sticks.

Kaptin Keen
2016-11-17, 11:46 AM
As the nice bartender is pouring another straight shot of fine fire water, Mackie emerges from the crowd.

'Ang on, he burst out, sounding very serious, t'lady's drinks are on me. He flashes a wide smile, bleeding from his nose, one eye brow, and his gums. He looks an awful mess.

I gotta say, I did not 'spect'y t'fite like that! Hoo-eee, girl. Hardly anyone comes through'ere can fite worth a damn - but y'gotta have fought y'way out y'momma's belly.

Now, I see yer friend already picked some prizes. Should actually be you doin'at, but I guess's fine. He shou'n't'a picked dat ole las thing tho. Ain't no one on dis rock likes no weapon ain't spreadin' lead and goin' boom. I tested it out all'a same - but 's broken or summat, goes though ona'dem charge packs like ... like, well I guess a knife thru butter is what dey say, but I ain't ever seen no butter. Guess it's some kinda fruit?

LairdMaon
2016-11-17, 12:08 PM
Jashugan leans over the bar to their host, 'ey! Do me a favor, yeah? Let this lot know that, as a gesture of respect and comradery, the friends of the victor will buy the next round for all present. Thanks.

Kaptin Keen
2016-11-20, 04:13 PM
As word gets around, there is general cheering - and soon, general drunkenness. It runs up to a sizeable bill, but not anything you cannot pay for. Any number of people come to congratulate Kara on her victory, and all in all, the bar seems actually friendly. Even the tension between the gangs seems less.

Kaptin Keen
2016-11-27, 02:21 PM
While revelry goes on unnoticed around him, Ferrus strips the lasgun. It's an interesting piece. Currently, it's equipped with a totally standard energy pack, but the port for it is clearly dual purpose: It will take a standard pack, or something else. Inferring from this alone, Ferrus concludes that the weapon is almost certainly more high powered than a standard lasgun.

It's also quite high quality. Craftsmanship of the sort that only really comes out of the best workshops manned by the best craftsmen.

The sunburst on it is reminiscent of the Sollex emblem - similar, but different.

If you're not Ferrus, you shouldn't be reading this :p

I fully expect you to anyways, but know that RNGeesus is watching, and judging.

Ferrus' findings aren't entirely conclusive. This is a high quality, high power weapon that should by no means be inside the realm of possibility on this planet.

The emblem is similar to the Sollex cult emblem. Could be a rip-off, or .. a devout fan?

When you find Mackie and ask, he confirms that Yea, I tried firin' it. It ain't bad, for las, but it eats up half a charge pack per shot, I sheet'ya not. No matter, ain't anyone round 'ere wants'ta fire no weapon what don't go boom!

If Ferrus tests it - I expect he does - he will find the weapon to be very powerful. As in 'a slight but noticable improvement on the hell-gun' powerful. It also literally eats half a standard charge pack per shot. Which is really impractical for a weapon that fires full auto.

Further rolls or questioning might reveal more.

Meanwhile, Kara enjoys her newfound fame, and Jashugan makes friends in the bar. Blue just hangs out, watching everyone.

LairdMaon
2016-11-27, 02:44 PM
Jashugan will be asking about the gangs, trying to learn their names, the names of their leaders, there numbers and strength.

[roll0]
Inquiry is trained
Fel 35

Kaptin Keen
2016-11-27, 06:01 PM
The names of the gangs refer to divisions of a day long past. The Breakers once mined the ore, the Burners once worked the smelters, Porters used to run much of the machinery - in particular haulers/lifters and the like. The last group, the Mashers, Jashugan has a hard time placing, until he spots an ancient badge with the faded words Mining Safety and Health Adepta on it. He wonders if any of the Mashers even know where their name comes from.

They exist in a constant state of not-quite-warfare: The only living that can still be made here is from breaking down and selling off what remains of the machinery and infrastructure that was once their home and livelyhood. Each group has skills the others need, and this is all that keeps them from killing each other off.

They are, to be quite honest, a sorry lot. There are maybe a hundred in all, divided fairly equally. They are armed primarily with shivs, clubs and makeshift spears - and though quite a few sport some sort of slug thrower on their hip, it's any mans guess how many of those have ammo.

Jashugan gets some names, but it's pretty clear that there are only two people worth any mention: Mackie the fist fight champion (who somehow also managed to have some interesting loot), and Sirta the bartender.

Destro_Yersul
2016-11-28, 07:23 PM
Once his work on stripping and re-assembling the weapon is complete, Ferrus stows it in his pack and goes to find Mackie again.

"Where did you acquire this weapon?" He asks. "It is a non-standard design."

Kaptin Keen
2016-11-29, 05:26 AM
By this time, Mackie is happily drunk, and it takes him a short while to locate the speaker and process the words. Then, he does a sort of double-take, as if he wasn't expecting to have to answer anything of the sort, and doesn't really want to.

... I'urrh, he begins, well is salvage, innit? I um, found it. Out inna desert. Like. Fossil Valley, 'round dem parts.

Just to be clear, Fossil Valley is a big place. It's closer to Valles Marinieris than Grand Canyon. He's being annoyingly vague.

Destro_Yersul
2016-12-05, 05:58 AM
Ferrus waited for approximately 2.56 seconds, which he judged an appropriate length of pause to convey displeasure with the vagueness of the answer.

"Could you be a little more specific? The valley is quite large, and I wish to acquire more of these for testing. If they are, as you say, unpopular with the populace as a result of not going 'boom', this should not prove too odious."

Kaptin Keen
2016-12-05, 07:37 AM
Mackie glances nervously about, as he weaves an unlikely tale of how big a place the desert is, and how easy it is for even an experienced scavenger to get lost. I can't ritely say - there was some big rocks, and some a'dem cactusses, an I 'member dere was an old train wagon. I'd know the place again fer sure, but I dunno where ta find it.

As he babbles on, his hand sort of casually scribbles in some spilled beer: I cud git n truble!

Destro_Yersul
2016-12-08, 01:33 PM
Mackie was clearly in need of instruction on proper low gothic spelling protocol, but Ferrus ignored that for now. Far more interesting was the implication that there was someone who could get him into trouble.

"I see," he said. "well, my thanks for your assistance, then." As he was speaking, he traced something on the table himself: from who?

Kaptin Keen
2016-12-09, 11:05 AM
Mackie looks down on the counter, weighs the options, and decides to say: Look. This ain't a conversation that can meaninfully be had in spilt beer. Murder on a massive scale was done out in t'desert. I don't want any part of that. Someone did something really bad - then made a huge effort to cover it up too.

I don't know who. I don't want to know. I want to stay out'a that mess entirely.

I ... I don't want to tell you where. Who ever did that, if they hear I brought trouble to their doorstep, they'll zilch me like snapping their fingers.

It's pretty clear he's scared, and it will take either coercion, persuasion or maybe bribery to get more out of him.

LairdMaon
2016-12-09, 12:16 PM
Jashugan leans over to Mackie and asks quietly, "You drive? What kind of ride you got?"

Kaptin Keen
2016-12-09, 02:37 PM
... well - lemme tell ya 'bout ma ride. He pauses for dramatic effect.

In dem olden days of yore, t'were a great battle 'mongst t'great motorclans 'bout who could build the greatest V8. Mustangs, Challengers, Corvettes and so on.

Now, one clan never made anything ... even remotely ... decent. Clan Subaru. Laughing stock of all the clans.

I drive a Subaru. Mind, it works. It might'a had a trillion miles under the hood afore the counter broke. But it still runs. But that's the only thing it's good for.

He lets that settle for awhile, looking distraught, his expression alone communicating the bleakness of his fate, and the unfairness of the universe. But then he lights up in a crooked smile, and adds:

But I got's another ride. Only ... it ain't workin'. But oh, what a ride it will be, if I ever get it runnin' agin.

LairdMaon
2016-12-09, 03:55 PM
"Ngh. One that don't work, eh?" Jashugan looks meaningfully at Ferrus, "I don't suppose you'd take offence if we took a look at 'er. What do you think, Ferrus? A longer, more in depth chat with our friend here for some vehicle repair? That'd be about a blessing on both sides."

Kaptin Keen
2016-12-09, 05:51 PM
Naw, you don't understand. To ever run again, it needs a Redemption Pattern Variable Intake Manifold. And we ain't got the tools to machine one'a dose on this planet no more. Cain't be done. He looks close to tears.

A variable intake manifold is ... not something a tech priest couldn't make, given the proper quality raw materials.

Destro_Yersul
2016-12-12, 03:48 AM
Just in case it proves to be beyond his abilities to produce such a manifold, Ferrus tactically neglects to mention the personal toolkit he brought with him. Instead, he performs the mechanical equivalent of a cough. "Is the existing manifold broken, or missing?" he asks. "Either way, I would like to examine the machine in question. You say it is an impressive vehicle?"

Kaptin Keen
2016-12-12, 03:43 PM
King 'ade road, it is. Proudest V8 ever built by man. He stares at you, wide-eyed for a moment, and does the sweeping hand gesture: THE GTO!

His eyes grow bleary, and you think for a moment he's going to cry - then you realise the lateness of the hour, and the quantity of alcohol, are finally getting the better of him. He slumps slowly, inelegantly, from his perch, and noisily onto the floor.

... gto, he mumbles, before passing out.

It's late, very much so, and all of you have been awake far longer than what is comfortable. Soft beds await you in that back-room the host spoke of.

The party is wearing out, most people gone home, passed out, or gone somewhere else to drink. The back room is by no means luxurious, but it's clean and has halfway decent beds. It's ... not what you'd consider secure, if security is a priority, but at least it has a lock on the door.

Lemme know if you have any plans, or we can move on fairly quickly =)

Oh and: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/29/36/20/29362027ff968679cd5c05dd4b83e905.jpg

Um. Can anyone remember how to fit the pic to the thread?

Nevermind, I guess.

LairdMaon
2016-12-12, 04:01 PM
Jashugan checks that the door is locked and the cell is bedded down before laying himself down.

And yes, his gun is safely in his hand as he sleeps.

Destro_Yersul
2016-12-13, 08:28 PM
"I see. I shall inquire in the morning, then," Ferrus told the unconscious Mackie before heading off to sleep. He still needed that, much as he would have liked not to. He spent some time muttering quietly about the general quality of locks and security, and passed out.

Ferrus' perception is absolute carp, and he's not got Awareness or Carouse, so here goes nothing: [roll0]

Kaptin Keen
2016-12-20, 04:46 PM
Safely locked in your room at the watering hole, you sleep. The doors and walls are hardly strong enough to resist determined assault, but no one will be able to sneak up on you.

However, at one point during the night, Jashugan blinks awake. Outside, in the street, is the sound of engines. The deep rumble - not of V8's - but of the type of promethium fuelled engine a military ground vehicle might have. More than one, they stop outside, stop for a minute or two, the kick back to life and roar off.

LairdMaon
2017-01-06, 09:02 AM
Jashugan wakes to the sound of engines. He listens as they stop moving for a moment and then take off with a roar.

How very interesting...

He gets up, pistol in hand, and quietly steps out of the room and into the main bar area. He slides into a seat chosen so that anyone entering the front door will be less likely to set eyes on him right away. He wants to get a good look at them before they get a look at him.

Destro_Yersul
2017-01-06, 06:19 PM
Ferrus, woken by Jashugan, focused on the sound of the engines. Those were prometheum burning, higher grade... what sort of equipment might use that on a world like this?

"Vehicles present for approximately 90.157 standard seconds," he reported to nobody in particular as he gathered a few things. Rather naturally, the Techpriest had not removed his robes before turning in. He followed Jashugan out into the hallway, but didn't go as far as the main bar. He too was interested to see if somebody might come in.

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-06, 06:45 PM
You hear the rumble of the engines restarting and roaring off into the night. Perhaps there is a moment of slight puzzlement as your eyes meet across the room, and you both shrug.

Then, two things happen, all at once.

There is that womp-womp sound of corrugated sheet steel wobbling as someone walks across it - and at the same time, your radio hizzes to life (you have a radio).

BZT!

++Incoming coded transmission++
++From: Alberon Maldanis++
++To: Mission Team++
++Message begins:

Something is afoot. Shortly after your arrival, my agents in-system picked up increased communications, and intercepted some worrying signals. Someone doesn't want us snooping around. I've dispatched a relief team, whose timing should coincide closely with this message. Be on your guard. And don't shoot them, thinking they're the enemy.

Maldanis out.
++Message ends++

BZT!

Old guys: You can roll various rolls, perception to discern who many people are sneaking around on the roof - or to pick up other less obvious noise - tech use to determine what vehicles you might have heard outside, or anything else I didn't think of.

Edit: Oh and initiative. The one I always forget.

New guys: You're not quite there yet. I'll make it rather plain once you are.

LairdMaon
2017-01-07, 11:22 AM
"What, no code word? Great..."

[roll0] Perception 32
[roll1] Initiative

He trains his Armsman-10 on the doorway.

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-07, 11:49 AM
By Jashugan's estimate, four people are creeping across the roof, heading for skylights. Additionally, what sounds suspiciously like lockpicks are caressing the inner workings of the door.

It seems Maldanis is slightly loose on the finer details of intelligence work. No password.

LairdMaon
2017-01-07, 12:05 PM
"Throne! Five?"

Jashugan kicks a table over to give himself cover from the door.

"EVERYBODY UP! INTRUDERS TRYING TO SNEAK IN! FOUR ON THE ROOF! UNKNOWN AT THE DOOR! ARM YOURSELVES! EVERYBODY UP! PREPARE FOR IMMINENT COMBAT!" he yells into the building as he crouches behind the table.

Destro_Yersul
2017-01-09, 10:15 AM
Ferrus jerked to attention, making a mechanical squeal of protest at the thought of imminent fighting. Vanishing back down the hallway, the techpriest started digging through his things, looking for weapons, armour... anything he could throw together quickly, really. He stopped momentarily, hand over the new lasgun. Field test, perhaps? No, no, it ate far too much power. That would be something for later. Once he had a weapon, at least, he started searching for things that might make an effective barricade.

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-09, 10:31 AM
The Watering Hole is full of cover - tables, mostly - but the majority of it doesn't instill a lot of confidence in terms of effectiveness or durability. The clapboard tables are certainly better than nothing, but not by a huge margin.

The exception to this rule would be the bar itself. It's a nice, solidly built hunk of wood and metal. It does have the slight drawback of being full of flammables. And a still. And potential future shards of broken glass. If one of the intruders brought a fire bomb, the bar would be a decidedly risky investment.

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-09, 10:42 AM
Yea, so I'm double posting.

You were the rejects. Those who had been drafted into the Inquisition, but not selected for a mission. You'd spoken with Scrivener Maldanis - who never referred to himself as inquisitor, leaving you doubting whether there was someone else, higher up the food chain. Done your best, but he picked someone else.

And now, you were waiting with the other potentials, waiting to be sent back planetside, or ... you honestly didn't know.

All of a sudden, the door opens. Maldanis, looking very slightly disshevelled, along with an attendee - a rather fetchingly gorgeous young woman clad in some sort of specialised body glove - enters, looks about, and points:

You, you and ... um, you I guess - with me, at once!

Not waiting for a reply, he strides off out another door, and down a corridor. You follow, having no idea what's going on. As you walk, he absently kinda-sorta gives a rather patchy explaination.

Somethings happened. I expected this mission to be an easy test for the acolytes abilities. But no sooner had they reached their destination than all manner of suspicious comms started flying back and forth.

I'm sending you in as backup!

You enter some sort of ... room. It's hard to say, precisely. There is some medical equipment. A number of staff, some in smocks, others in uniform. One wears the robes of a priest. There is some sort of pattern on the floor.

We're ... rather severely pressed for time, I'm afraid. That forces me to use somewhat unconventional means in order to get you there on time. I'm ... afraid those means aren't actually something you're cleared for, so ... sorry about this.

You each feel a prick in neck, and the world quickly goes all hazy and weird.

Checkmate-Pony
2017-01-09, 03:44 PM
Chani fell to her knees upon being 'pricked' and dramatically exclaims:

"I would never knowingly fail you sire, but I must know what you wish of me when the time comes, what will I see when I awake?"

She slowly slopes to one side with her head looking as if in pain and wanting. Her existence dedicated to this moment of need, yet worrying if she ever would awake again, she already considered herself to have failed not being among the first chosen Acolytes.

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-09, 04:12 PM
Maldanis raises a single eyebrow, as if - just now - realizing that's a valid concern.

I believe I'll be dropping you into imminent danger, Chani - I think I just barely have enough time. When you awake, fight the bad guys. The good guys will be the obvious off-worlders.

With that, Chani drifts off to a pleasantly buzzy sleep - not realising, at the time, that such sleep usually goes with a rather nasty headache on waking.

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-09, 04:13 PM
Oh and .... start shooting already - or I'll give the initiative to the bad guys :p

luca0483
2017-01-09, 06:25 PM
Fen grinned as the inquistor gave them the order to follow. An emergency called for action. Action called for choices. There was need for her abilities.
As she drifted off to sleep, she gazed out at the aether, the visions of the warp taking her spirit when her physical body was incapable.

Fen tries observes the lights and patterns around her, trying to discern how she is being moved within physical space while "unconscious".

Psyniscience (Per) [roll0]vs 33

Col.Straken
2017-01-09, 06:33 PM
Hector was surprised when he was chosen, almost as an after thought. "Yes sir." he said simply to the mans retreating back before gathering his small pile of items and esential and scurrying to catch up. While the others were discreetly injected, Hector had to provide his direct intravenous port for the sedatives to take effect. Unfortunately due to the Cybernetics in his brain they didn't stop everything, he felt the fleshy parts of his body tingle as the atoms vibrated at accelerated speeds. He closed his eyes to avoid vertigo and try and stave off the worst of the headaches and sickness, it never really works though.

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-10, 07:55 AM
There is such a thing as a whisper-shout: When you don't want to just holler at the top of your voice, but still want to make yourself heard by someone a ways off. In this case, a good twenty meters and down on the street.

We're ready, sounds out one voice, trying it's best to be quite despite the need to shout, how's that lock coming?'

Almost, just gimme five more seconds, comes the response from the door.

LairdMaon
2017-01-10, 07:16 PM
Jashugan crouches behind the upturned table with his pistol ready to spit hot lead at the first body to come through the door.

Let's call this a held action, yeah?

Destro_Yersul
2017-01-10, 08:03 PM
Ferrus spends a few moments upturning a couple of tables to hide behind. Maybe multiple tables will work better than one table alone. Likely not, but he can hope. Once that's done, he hunkers down with his lasgun and waits.

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-11, 05:33 AM
There is a shouted GO! - and all manner of things happen all at once.

The door slams open, and men surge in, four in all, some holding guns, all holding some sort of melee contraption (tire irons, hammers, the famous nail-bat) and one holding a lit firebomb.

A skyligt - so dirty and grimed over you didn't realise there were skylights until now - crashes as another four men drop down. On ropes, because the ceiling is high and just jumping would be highly unwise. Their various accontrements of battle are slung, holstered or otherwise out of sight.

Noise is heard from elsewhere, a big crash.

You really should'a shot the guy picking the lock. But never mind.

The gyus abseiling down can't act this round.

Since you're waiting, you get to fire first - then roll initiative. If you win initiative, obviously you act again.

Initiative for the bad guys: [roll0]

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-11, 05:52 AM
You awaken as some sort of crew are strapping you into ... seats. They are seats, because you're sitting in them. But you could have sworn that, before being cut up and padded with cargo wrapping, they were standard bulk crates. Still woozy, you question your whereabouts, but get no answers. You are in some sort of small, cramped space.

As they finish strapping you in, one guy leans in, and informs you: Your weapons are in their respective holsters - loaded and ready. You are dropping straight into combat, we hope. If not, we didn't make it on time.

Any other gear is in a bag under you.

He glances around, at whatever it is you're in, then adds good luck in a tone of voice that isn't really comforting.

You have various built-in systems that you consult, to find out as much as possible about what happened to you while you were out. As far as physical measurements go, it seems you've moved very little since you were rudely put to sleep. There are however two quite significant energy spikes, 40 and 24 hours ago, respectively. Checking your audio recorder doesn't yield much, except a conversation between what might be Maldanis, and some other person with a strangly lilting voice. It seems the latter owes Maldanis a favor.

Fens mind is adrift with sedatives, but still psychically active. There is a giant flare of psychic energy - along with a glimpse of the warp itself - then another, unknown sensation. Otherworldly, without being warp.

The sedatives insulate you from the warp - but not entirely. Fen gains [roll0] corruption.

There is a face, drifting in and out of focus. A name, spoken with ... love? Fear? When you wake, you can recall neither, but you feel beside yourself with unnamable emotion.

With a whump, the tiny space you're in is sealed. A single red light blinks on, then switches to green. There is a rumble - and then you all scream as you plummet down, down down ... then you are in absolute silence, weightless, serene. As you finally get a better look at what you're in, you realise this isn't some fancy Space Marine drop pod. You are in a Resupply Drop Crate, usually meant for sending rations and ammunition to guardsmen in the field.

As this realisation hits you, so does the the crate hit atmosphere - a whistle rising to a deafening howl. It is ok, at this point, to be afraid. What you're in isn't designed for human transport, and supplies are generally more tolerant of hard landings than your soft, vulnerable tissues.

LairdMaon
2017-01-11, 03:20 PM
"BREACH!"

Target: First body to enter.
To Hit [roll0]
BS 44+10 Semi-Auto Burst
To Hurt [roll1]

LairdMaon
2017-01-11, 04:10 PM
[roll0]

Pew pew pew!

Destro_Yersul
2017-01-12, 06:27 AM
"There is a highly statistical likelyhood we will die." Ferrus told Jashugan matter of factly, snapping a shot at the folks from the door as he did so. "Recommend fall back to a more defensible position."

So, initiative: [roll0]

And shooting at one of the door people. [roll1]
[roll2]

And another shot in case Ferrus wins initiative: [roll3]
[roll4]

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-12, 07:25 AM
See, you're forgetting important stuff, I feel. You have a full round (and more) before the enemy enters. Hence, you aim, getting a +20 bonus. Another +10 for burst fire. Finally, you're aiming at an easy target - a doorway through which they HAVE to come. No if's, no but's. And that's not counting the fact that you might have set up close enough to the door to get point blank. If you so desire.

In total, that means Jashugan hits once, Ferrus hits twice. Jashugan gets enough damage on his one hit to bring down an enemy - and I'm simply going to pick Ferrus' second damage roll, so his total damage is 11, again enough to bring down his target. Two down, two to go (from the door, that is)

Ferrus doesn't hit .... that is, unless he holds his action, and fires at point blank range. Then, it's a hit. This would obviously be my recommendation. Now, I know this is a bit hindsight is 20-20-ish, but I feel it's fair to point out a bit of tactics, since I'm guessing you're both slightly rusty? Maybe.

Finally, I need Jashugans actions for the first real round of combat. Oh, and another damage roll from Ferrus, if he agrees with me. Or you may chose to reroll, since new tactical info might warrant such.

Destro_Yersul
2017-01-12, 06:11 PM
Wasn't sure about layout and yeah, it's been a while since I've had to make rolls from the PC's side of things. I'll take the aim, of course, and then I'll do another burst at point blank. Not the greatest, since if they close enough to get into melee Ferrus' options get a lot worse. ANyways, here's damage: [roll0]

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-12, 06:48 PM
Needs damage too. How many hits is that, 3? It's +1 hit pr. 20, right, but you have +30 for point blank, and +20 for burst. Meaning 80-something. Meaning 4 hits? I mean, in principle they haven't moved yet, but turns get weird like that, because they must have, right? Your first shot was a held action.

I can't think right now, but ... it's a lot of hits. Unless you roll really bad damage, you clean up!

LairdMaon
2017-01-13, 02:11 AM
Jashugan turns his attention to the men that entered through the ceiling and throws a chair above the nearest one with all his weight.

What's the roll required to hit the rope attached to the closest guy? My goal is to cause him to land prone and potentially tangled in a mix of chair and rope.

Col.Straken
2017-01-13, 08:31 AM
As the still biological part of his brain came back around and his body began to twitch with nerves reconnecting to mechanics he looked around at the sparce interior. "I have a bad feeling about this." he states simply before the 'crate' begins to shudder and squeal in the upper atmosphere. "The odds of survival from a terminal velocity fall in what is essentially a steel box do not favour us. I can only assume the inquisition has provided us with suitable stopping ability which will automatically deploy." Hectors matter of fact voice probably did not make anything he said quite as comforting as he planned. "If I am wrong, it was nice to meet you all." His fingers gripped the restraints, if this was a combat drop then he hoped that they were going to be in at least some sort of fit shape to fight whatever they were being dropped into otherwise they were dead either way.

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-13, 09:06 AM
As the howling of reentry rises, a warm, red glow begins to emanate from the assembly seams of the box. You have time to wonder if whoever came up with this plan might have forgotten about a heat shield - before the glow fades again, and the howl recedes to a whistle.

As you drop, Ferrus has time to call up data on the planet, calculate time to surface in free-fall, and inform you that:

Time to surface impact: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 ...

At which point reverse thrusters ignite with a hollow boom, and once again you're shaken like ragdolls as the crate rattles and bounces - then, when a resounding boom, you crash land. The crate literally disintegrates around you, and though stunned - and slightly hurt, physically and emotionally - you look around and see death and destruction.

You have landed outside what looks like an old warehouse or factory, with a sign on the front proclaiming it to be the Watering Hole. At the front of the building, a group of armed men are making their entrance - another group are on the roof, abseiling down.

To your left, an ancient bulldozer has crashed through the side of the building, and more armed assailants are firing automatic weapons at someone out of sight.

Closer to your impact site, all is chaos. Obviously, a variety of death has followed in the wake of your landing. Charred bodies indicate those hit by the thrusters - and a few limbs sticking out from under the remains of the crate indicate those who didn't run in time.

You are at appr. 30 meter range of two groups of four men, who are disoriented by your sudden and rather unexpected arrival. You may roll initiative. All enemies react at the already rolled initiative, which I believe might have been ... 7 or 8? I could check, I guess.

LairdMaon
2017-01-13, 10:45 AM
Jashugan turns to the men entering from the roof and switches to 3-round burst. He let's loose at the nearest intruder.

Attack: [roll0] vs 84 (44 base, +30 range, +10 burst fire)
Damage: [roll1] penetration 0
Damage: [roll2] penetration 0
Damage: [roll3] penetration 0

Righteous Fury: Attack:
[roll4] vs 84 (44 base, +30 range, +10 burst fire)
additional damage
[roll5]

luca0483
2017-01-13, 01:48 PM
Fen is used to being in haphazard deathtraps, but never once have they been in free fall.
Fen has a uneasy look on her face during the few seconds, bracing as the countdown approached 1.
As the thrusters turn on, Fen begins to softly cackle, interupted shortly after, by the crash.
Still, as she frees herself from the chair's belts, a faint smile can be seen on her

luca0483
2017-01-13, 04:03 PM
Fen gets up from the remains of the drop-crate, and addresses Hector

"Metal-man, are you mechanical? I know you are living and electrical, but are you mechanical too? I need to know for later"

With that, she grabs her bag and begins walking towards the nearest piece of available cover.

Full move (6m) into cover

Col.Straken
2017-01-13, 05:27 PM
Hector is stunned for a second and his mind races through diagnostics, bruises, cuts, possibly a cracked rib. "Well that ended better than expected." he says as he unholsters his Shotgun, and hobbles quickly to the most solid cover possible attempting to reduce the distance to what he assumes are the bad guys. "I am partly mechanical though I have minimal implants and augmetics." he replies to the demanding lady before checking his Shotgun is fully loaded, now would be a bad time to reload.

Checkmate-Pony
2017-01-13, 05:29 PM
Chani wakes from her harness with such sudden impact she lets out a scream that drags on into a long exhauled, panicking she nearly flies off her feet, her long puffy robes of red and tan flop around as she crawls and then sets into a run holding on to her belongings that swing from prayer beads and chains of oxidized copper.

She runs in what seems a random direction at first or as if confused. But then jogs in what seems intent, in fluttering robes, large gloves. she looked like she was in need of help after that landing rather than showing hostility, she even started yelling in distress at them, but it could not be heard in the turmoil.

I will do a Run move towards the crashed bulldozer, where the auto gunners are shooting, chooses: 12 meters, as she is very slow

luca0483
2017-01-13, 06:40 PM
"Good. It might get relevant if things get tumultuous"

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-14, 04:28 AM
A rather disturbingly large number of gangers attack the watering hole. Jashugan and Ferrus are fortunate to get in position ahead of time, and when the first wave burst in, they are met by a hail of fire, handily cutting them down. Whether cut by bright laser bursts or torn by hot lead, the invaders dance a merry jig before tumbling across the floor, dead or dying.

Among them, a lit fire bomb burns merrily.

More thugs enter from the roof, but such is not a tenable approach into a ready ambush. When met by determined defence, three out of four are hit and fall to their messy demise among the chairs and tables of the Watering Hole.

One does make it down, and he wisely dives into cover behind the bar. From there, he shouts to the others still waiting outside:

Two defenders, behind tables. They're covering the door, find another entry - or something.

Then, reaching around the bar without exposing himself, he lets lose a burst of fire, shooting pretty much blind.

Attack: [roll0] vs 20 (BS 30, Shooting Blind -30, Burst fire +10, Short Range +10)
Damage: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Meanwhile, outside the bar, reinforcements arrive in spectacular fashion - literally exploding unexpectedly in the face of the attackers, dropping in fiery confusion and in a shower of broken cargo crate from the sky. The three newcomers approach the action, seeking cover and readying weapons.

((If you have not fired this round - and have a desire to do so, this is your last chance at that. Otherwise I start round two.))

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-14, 03:30 PM
Round two:

Seen from the outside, it's a weird pantomine. Over the gunfire and general chaos, you can't hear anything that's being said. But the results are clear to see - everyone listens for a moment, then acts quickly and decisively.

There are three groups of men: One on the roof, one by the door, and one by the bulldozer. The ones on the roof move to an already shattered skylight, and start firing at someone inside. Once the shooting starts, one of the guys by the door lobs something inside, and the next moment, everyone else runs in.

Finally, the men by the bulldozer also stop shooting, and move further into the building.

From inside the Watering Hole, it's a lot more intimate. Someone on the roof shouts Covering fire! and shots start rattling off left and right of you. Then, a grenade goes *POP!* and starts covering everything in smoke in the direction of the door.

Three more men move up on the roof. One lets rip with something that shoots full auto with a deep thunderous roar. He isn't aiming to hit you, specifically, but is rather insisting you keep your heads down while his buddies rush through the door. The other two, having less adequate shooting gear, fire hand cannon at you.

Meanwhile, a smoke grenade goes *POP!*, to further pave the way for the last attackers to make it inside alive. The smoke does also obscure the smoldering fire bomb lying about from last round. Four men rush in from the door.

Suppression:
Attack: [roll0] vs. 15 (BS 35 -20 for suppression)
If damage: [roll1] Pen 3 vs the armor of your cover, which happens to be 4.
Roll Will -20 to resist suppression.
Since he cannot reliably brace his weapon against anything, he's shooting standing up - meaning he has no cover.

Two other guys:
Attack, first guy: [roll2] vs. 45 (BS 35 +10 for short range)
If damage: [roll3] Pen 2
Attack, second guy: [roll4] (BS 35 +10 for short range)
If damage: [roll5] Pen 2

Four guys rush in from outside. Now, for fun, here's what. 50% chance 0-4 of them are in range when the fire bomb goes off.
BOOM!: [roll6] vs. 50
Damage: [roll7] Pen 6, which is irrelevant, since they're in clothing and that's it.

Once inside, they rush into cover. This uses up their actions.

Jashugan escapes damage despite a torrent of lead raining down on you. Ferrus is less lucky. A shot punches straight through the crappy clapboard table, striking him square in the chest. Meanwhile, the fire bomb goes off, and one guy cries out in that special mix of pain, panic and terror that comes from suddenly finding yourself merrily ablaze.

Checkmate-Pony
2017-01-14, 06:17 PM
Chani kept on running, huffing and holding her stomach as it was 'troubled' after that flight.

She'd turn around quickly yelling back: "Madam! and Sir, what are you two waiting for!?" she'd swing her arm and continue running towards the crashed dozer with no weapons ready in her hands, mumbling snarky comments to herself, seemingly unphased by the potential dangers, armed only with a positive attitude and sense of duty.

resume running, another 12 meters, almost there...

LairdMaon
2017-01-14, 06:32 PM
[roll0] vs Will 34-20= 14

Thoroughly pinned, Jashugan makes the most of his scant cover and prays.

luca0483
2017-01-15, 05:20 AM
"Oi! I am on my way, missy."

Fen continues to pick up the pace, going from a stern walk, through a few seconds of jogging, into a full run. She matches speed with Chani, only a few meters behind her, impressive for an elderly lady.

Run (18 m)

Destro_Yersul
2017-01-15, 07:44 AM
The shot through the clapboard table and into the cluster of augmetics and flesh that made up Ferrus' chest did nothing to improve his calculation of their chances. The hail of bullets was one thing, but if he stayed where he was it was almost certain to be worse. Where was there better cover? Not in the room, if the sound of things being bulldozed was anything to go by. Not out front, where there were undoubtedly more enemies, and certainly not where he was. Behind the bar, perhaps, but the enemies had brought firebombs and alcohol was flammable. Ferrus didn't like his chances there.

Ah, but first thing's first. That fellow doing the shooting rather needed to be got rid of. Ferrus raised his lasgun and fired a trio of shots.

ok, using burst fire at the guy doing the suppression. [roll0] vs... probably 54. +10 for burst and +10 for within half range.
and some damage: [roll1][roll2][roll3]

and just in case... [roll4]
[roll5][roll6]

Missed rather badly. I don't think that jams the gun, at least, since it's got Reliable.

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-15, 08:27 AM
Ferrus, mortally wounded and well aware of the statistical likelyhood of his life functions ceasing very soon, peeks out from his - now much damaged - cover, and tries to draw a bead on the gunner on the roof.

Suddenly, all seems still. An incredible calm settles over him. He feels a presence, a guidance. His hands, utterly steady, draw a bead on the forehead of the gunner, and pulls the trigger. Incandescent light bursts from the muzzle, and the enemy's head explodes in a cloud of superheated blood and brain tissue. He topples forward, trigger still pulled, spraying bullets in wide archs around him as he spins down, down - and crashes into the floor, spraying more blood in a geyser across the floor.

Is Ferrus has a charm, it is now strangly burnt. Also, Jashugan may take his actions normally.

And sorry for the mess up. Suppression takes a round of preparation, which this guy didn't have. Fortunately, justice caught up with his errant ways, and punishment was swift and absolute. Rejoice, proud citizens of the Emperor, and behold his fierce will and righteousness.

Col.Straken
2017-01-15, 01:56 PM
Hector moved as quickly as his mishappen body could manage, eager to reach the doorway. Be in away from the open world and where his Meat Hammer could do its work.

full action run towards the door, which I believe is 18M, so along with my full action move of 6M means he is also a full turn away still.

LairdMaon
2017-01-16, 10:50 AM
Even as the man Ferrus ended falls through the skylight raining bullets, brains and blood, Jashugan turns to the hallway in the direction of the likely ruin bedroom. With the smoke to his back he doesn't feel too concerned about the villains pushing through it and instead offers a short prayer that they might barrel into the burning man.

Plus, if Ferrus can continue to perform such magnificent cranial amputation in combat, Jashugan has nothing to dear from the men entering Ferrus' targeting vector. Time to cover your back, my friend!

Jashugan is waiting for a target to present itself in the hallway. He believes he is an excellent judge of combat acumen.

This could hurt.

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-17, 01:20 PM
Things devolve from merely chaotic to absolutely insane. The men who entered from the door are covered in smoke, and one of their friends is running around - a human torch, sheeted in flame from head to foot - screaming in pain, panic and fear. The men on the roof are faring slightly better, but their leader is dead and the last shot of Jashugans burst went through the corrugated roofing and wounded one of them.

One invader - blinded by smoke anyways, so he can't really get a bead on Ferrus and Jashugan - decides to put his suffering friend out of his misery, and blasts him down. When his screams subside, everyone draws a sigh of relief. The remaining two charge, one wielding a cleaver, the other waving the universally famous nail bat over his head.

From above, large hand cannon boom - but obviously, the way for smoke to make it's way out of the room is through the hole in the roof.

One guy shoots the burning man. I deem he manages to hit and put the poor female-canine out of his misery.

Two charge Ferrus, who by now should feel thoroughly put upon.

The gunslingers on the roof fire at Jashugan, who is partly obscured by smoke, and also a moving target.

Thus:
Melee attacks:
Attack: [roll0] vs 35 (25 base, +10 charge)
Damage: [roll1] (a bat festooned with rusty nails)
Attack: [roll2] vs 35 (25 base, +10 charge)
Damage: [roll3] (a cleaver)
Righteous Fury: [roll4] vs 35 - additional damage [roll5]
Righteous Fury: [roll6] vs 35 - additional damage [roll7]

And two shooters, firing standard Hand Cannon at Jashugans back:
Attack: [roll8] vs 15 (35 base, +10 range, -10 moving target, -20 smoke)
Damage: [roll9] Hand Cannon
Attack: [roll10] vs 15 (35 base, +10 range, -10 moving target, -20 smoke)
Damage: [roll11] Hand Cannon
Righteous Fury: [roll12] vs 35 - additional damage [roll13]
Righteous Fury: [roll14] vs 35 - additional damage [roll15]

Someone is going to object 'wait, why does moving impose a penalyy - that's not in the rules?!'.

Here's why: Enemies emerging through a doorway might be seen as moving, but they are coming straight at you, with no option of moving aside. Jashugan emerges from cover - arguably unexpextedly - and rushes off through the smoke to go through the door leading to the bedroom. Not that I'm entirely sure why he's going there, but ... sure =)

One of the attackers manage to connect with Ferrus - but luckily his sturdy frame turns the brunt of the attack. The other misses entirely. The shooters on the roof both miss Jashugan, who sprints across the room, and into the bedroom. The news isn't any better there - Jestilla and Kara are on the floor, riddled with bullet holes and either dead or dying. A giant bulldozer is planted halfway through the wall, and two gunmen are busily reloading the autoguns. They are entirely surprised by Jashugans sudden appearance.

luca0483
2017-01-17, 05:36 PM
Fen continues her run, overtaking Chani and charging towards the nearest invader, the guy who stopped to put a mercy-shot in the formerly-living torch.

Seizing the moment, Fen uses the momentum of her run, swinging her staff with her full weight and speed behind her.
She hopes to take him down before he gets to fire the gun again.

Charge (9m)

Attack: [roll0] vs 60 (30 base, +10 charge, -10 smoke, +30 unaware)
Damage: [roll1] I, penetration 0 (Primitive)

Righteous Fury: Attack: [roll2] vs 60
additional damage [roll3]

Damn, so close, that would have been some good damage too
The element of suprise turns the tide of fate!

LairdMaon
2017-01-17, 11:59 PM
"Two men and a BULLDOZER?!?"

Jashugan has mere moments to decide how this combat is going to go and chooses the exciting path.

To Hit [roll0] vs 44+any variables I'm not aware of
To Hurt [roll1]
Righteous Fury: [roll2] vs 44
Additional Damage [roll3]

And then he rushes the closer man to force a melee engagement while denying the farther man a clear line of sight.

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-18, 01:44 AM
Jashugan is (far as I know) using a weapon capable of burst fire. That's +10. The room is small, so he's at point blank range, for another +30. Both men are using rifle type weapons - no use in melee, so as far as that goes, the plan is sound. Now, if you roll well, you get an extra hit for each 10 points by which your roll exceeds the difficulty. So if you had rolled better, you could have shot - and potentially killed - both men.

Fen rushes a guy and takes a swing at him. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of forgotten modifiers to add to her roll. Charge excludes all-out attack, which would have been enough, and other than that he would have needed to be surprised.

Wait ... I just changed my mind. He's in the smoke, and unaware of the attack. That's a +30, but also a -10 for the smoke, but the net result is still that Fen hits.

I'm off to work now, I'll post in the evening again.

Destro_Yersul
2017-01-19, 01:37 AM
Ferrus emitted a mechanical squeal, raising his lasgun defensively. He was useless in a standup fight, and two against one was bad odds to begin with. The techpriest backed away carefully, keeping an eye on both assailants. "Request assistance," he shouted at where Jashugan had been a moment ago...

And wasn't now. Looked like he'd have to hold on his own.

Ferrus sucks in melee, so he's going to disengage back down the hall towards the room, see if he can find an ally.

Checkmate-Pony
2017-01-19, 10:47 AM
Chani gaspes as the old hag passes her, she slows down before entering through the hole, she kneels down and pulls out two prongs and connects them, making a spear with wicked barbs of imitated design, she plants it in the ground before opening her robe on the front and pulls out her Autopistol, arming it and unfolding the little bar stock in 3 steps, she mumbled to herself prayers to the machine spirit, so that it may forever fire true, and then glanced at the spear in the ground with same reverence before standing up again, spear in right, gun in left. The irony of Combining these two weapons of such different cultures and application pleased her immensely. Glancing up at the men on the Roof, then back at Fen: "What do you see?" she called, wanting to know what lied inside the bedroom. "do you need me?" she would add stupidly.

I will equip autopistol in left, vibe spear in right

Col.Straken
2017-01-19, 02:17 PM
Hector planted his back against the wall before peeking round, Meat Hammer ready for anyone that might be inside. The old woman darts inside completely ignorant of any danger, "That might be a bad idea!" he shouts after her, they had no idea what was waiting for them inside.

Another full turn move, 6m, which should put him at the doorway.

luca0483
2017-01-19, 03:54 PM
Fen's pressence catches the man off his guard, almost reacting fast enough to get out of the way, but the smoke gave Fen the extra few seconds she needed to connect. After her swing hit true, Fen switches hand positions, ready to block a retaliating strike.

To her two fellow sky-fallen friends, she shouts back:
"Men with guns, now come in and help me right that!"

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-25, 11:22 AM
With the arrival of new combatants, there is a great deal of reshuffling. Everyone is caught by surprise, and unsure what to do.

The two men in the 'bedroom' are ill equipped to fight melee. They could drop their rifles and fight barehand, but that's hardly rational. Instead, they fall back into cover behind the bulldozer, finish reloading and level their weapons at Jashugan and Ferrus, who are now both in the room.

Jashugan and Ferrus have ... very little in the way of functional cover to work with in the room. There are beds. But rubber mattresses do not effectively stop or bounce lead bullets.

However, Chani is moving up on the guys at the bulldozer - a situation of which they remain blissfully unaware.

Inside, Fen charges in resolutely, and wallops a ganger scum with her staff. The man is clearly stunned by the attack, but strikes back at her regardless. In the smoke, flames and confusion, it doesn't seem anyone else really notices her presence - they are all moving after the fleeing Ferrus towards the short hallway to the 'bedroom.

The one guy who was hiding behind the bar remains unaccounted for.

One guy tries to snap off a shot with his handy cannon at Fen.

Attack: [roll0] vs 35 - you don't get range bonuses when using firearms in melee.
Damage: [roll1] pen 2

Now ... will someone please start killing some enemies :p

LairdMaon
2017-01-26, 03:04 AM
Jashugan sees an advantage and chooses to press it as hard as he can.

He charges the two men with rifles and makes sure to stay in melee range with them. He discharges a shot to keep them feeling threatened.

To Hit [roll0] vs 44+any variables I'm not aware of
To Hurt [roll1]
Righteous Fury: [roll2] vs 44
Additional Damage [roll3]

luca0483
2017-01-26, 06:37 AM
Fen's eyes becomes unfocused as she sidestep out of the way of the defender's return attack.
She starts speaking to the man, seemingly upset at him for merely continuing to exist.

"You don't belong in the future. Stop going into the future with us."

Talking quickly becomes shouting, which turns to a hateful scream as she goes in for another swing.

"Stop! Lie DOWN and STAY IN THE PAST WHERE YOU BELONG!"

Precognition (+10 to parry & dodge going forward)
[roll0] vs 6
On a natural 9, phenomena [roll1]
On 75+, perils [roll2]

Attack
Hitting: [roll3] vs 30 (30 base)
Damage: [roll4] I, penetration 0 (Primitive)

Righteous Fury: Attack: [roll5] vs 30
Additional damage [roll6]

No actual precog, but at least i hit him, even though i low-rolled that damage

Destro_Yersul
2017-01-26, 08:46 PM
Ferrus skidded to a halt by the bedroom, rather annoyed to find that there was a bulldozer there. That was not at all an optimal parking strategy, though at least using it to demolish walls was in no way disrespectful to the machine spirit of a vehicle designed to demolish walls. Trusting Jashugan to handle the two already there, the techpriest turned to take a shot at the ones coming up behind him.

[roll0] to hit, [roll1] for damage.

Col.Straken
2017-01-27, 11:47 AM
Peering around the doorway into the smoke filled room Hector squints to determine the closest target, ignoring the man Fen is beating to a pulp. He spots people moving out of the room and brings his Meat Hammer up and taking a bit of aim before letting loose with an almost deafening boom as three chambers simultaneously unload coating the hallway in shot and debris as the men try to escape that way. To be honest he had no idea if they were friend or foe, but they looked more hunter than prey.

So half action aim at the closest enemy moving to the hallway

and Fire

BS: 27 + 10 (aim) [roll0]

Damage: [roll1]
not sure how tearing works on multiple die, or d5's so Tearing: [roll2] if I get one dice I will use the first number.

I doubt I am within 3m for Point Blank, so just a straight shot!

Checkmate-Pony
2017-01-29, 03:57 PM
For all the training and conditioning wrought upon Chani; she was still to experience an actual mission with all that entailed, and now in the face of danger she did not waver, having fearlessly closed the distance with the danger, obeying her masters vague wishes to the best of her abilities, remembering all the little steps such as war hymns, pacing of breath and state of mind, bodily control drilled into her for as long as she had memories left.

Only now that she saw the two men with autoguns flee to the dozer did a strange thought occur to her. She was about to attempt to kill someone, bring violence upon someone else she had never even met.

The idea was disgusting to her on a primal level, but no sooner had the thought crossed her mind did she involuntarily spring to action, like a reflex she'd surge forward, hand clutching around the spear haft so tight it was painful, like she had lost control and was living a nightmare.

Dashing to the bulldozer, huffing a praise to her god on impulse before impact, she'd see Jashugan, although she didn't know his name yet.

She'd move in sight of the other man next to Jashugan's target and hurl at him the barbed spear of exotic fabrication she had brought, it vibrated and bounced in the air like a fish, a strange piece of aerodynamics and wicked intend.

Move-and then attack with thrown weapon=Vibe Spear BS 44 [roll0]

Damage (if needed) [roll1] Penetration 1 primitive

Note: If he is hit, he must take an Ag test or become snared, as per Snare rules

Note 2#: If he takes any damage, he must take a toughness test or suffer a level of fatigue

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-30, 01:51 PM
In the bar, the man opposite Fen gets another clobbering of her staff. Already stunned, his eyes cross, and he tumbles to the ground.

Beside Fen, Hector steps in, levels his giant shotgun at the nearest foe, and lets rip. It's called Meat Hammer for a reason. There is a wet, ripping sound - well, it's there but no one hears it over the thunderous roar of the shotgun - and the ganger is physically torn to shreds and spread out in a fan-like area of gore and scattered splinters of bone.

Winning is good, but win-by-meat-hammer makes you somewhat queasy to the stomach.

In the bedroom, Jashugan aims true at the forehead of an enemy. It punches through his face, taking his life and his brains with it as it exits the other side, showering his comrade with blood.

Said comrade has only the briefest of moments to lament the falling of his friend and the blood on his face - possibly ruining both his outfit and his mood - before Chani's spear punches through his chest (definitely putting the final nail in both mood and outfit - and ganger too, for what it's worth).

The final moments of the fight are exceedingly gory. As silence falls, and the survivors eye each other - Hello? Friend or foe? - a nervous voice sounds from behind the bar.

Um, hi? My only ambition right now is to ... not die. Is there a way we can work towards that? I'll ... tell you everything I know? Will that be enough?

Please don't kill me.

LairdMaon
2017-01-30, 02:07 PM
Jashugan high-tails it to the man behind the counter and shoves his pistol in his face. "Yeah, now would be the right time to bare your soul to us. I want EVERYTHING you know. Hold back nothing!"

luca0483
2017-01-30, 04:39 PM
Fen rolls her eyes.

"Yes, like that is the way to get information. 'Tell me everything'. Works every time"

Wiping some residue blood off her staff, she walks over towards the two.

"Let loose on that gun-piece of yours, boy. He is hemorrhaging clay bricks as it is. He knows that he is in for a hurt as soon as he thinks about lying"

She turns to the fella, giving him a quick look-over, then giving him a soft smile

"Let us start easy. Whát is your name, and were you sent to take out our friends here?"

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-30, 05:11 PM
The stricken scum looks from one to the other, finally babling:

I .. I .. yes mam, thank you - please put the gun down.

I'm Bhert, mam. We uh ... we were hired to destroy your V8's, mam. Only it seemed like we could kill you, keep the cars, and get paid.

They did tell us that if we tried that, you guys would like murder us all. We didn't believe that - I mean, how were we to know?

Col.Straken
2017-01-30, 06:14 PM
Hector calmly reloads his Meat Hammer, he had another two shots but always best to be ready. When finished he leant on the bar and looked at the guy. "You do not have much spine do you." he said as if he had made a medical diagnosis. "Who sent you to destroy these V8's?" he had no idea what a V8 was, but it sounded important.

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-31, 12:22 AM
Debatable, I guess? My spine is little use to me when I'm dead. Anyways, I don't know who hired us. Now, don't kill me - it's not my fault they didn't show their ID's when they hired us to sabotage you.

I do know there were three. I know they had bikes, he uses the word like it leaves a bad taste in his mouth, big ol' prometheum burners. Combat rigged too, big auto's mounted on them.

luca0483
2017-01-31, 02:43 AM
"Well and good with a description, but where did you meet these guys? And where were you supposed to recieve your payment?"

Fen starts to tidy up the place, putting flipped tables back up again.

Checkmate-Pony
2017-01-31, 06:50 AM
Chani carefully approached her kill, trying to keep her emotions in check. She could not... she was afraid it would later catch up to her; but she blocked it off mentally with recitements of the Litany against fear. Pushing away her human instincts of revulsion.

"You must be the good people he spoke of" Chani said standing over the speared corpse, but Jashugan high-tails away before she finished speaking to him, leaving her to ponder over things. She retrieves her spear with a prayer of thanks and pride. Then lifts up the two autoguns and the ammo carried by the gunners. Autogun in each hand (held by the barrel) she walks towards the others, looking all over the hull of the dozer with a new found curiosity; having never seen such a thing in person.

It was so large and ugly, she thought. She loved it instantly.

Entering the bar, gun in each hand she pronounced quietly: "Two new brothers join our mission" she trailed off seeing them all question the 'bad guy'.
She looked worried before placing the weapons against the wall, she had no training in interrogation and urgently looked around to find something else to help with so as to not idly think about death and risk a breakdown.

She saw Ferrus was wounded and felt only misery as her training as a medicae was far from finished, and now it was needed.

She spotted Fen cleaning up, something tangible to occupy herself with: 'helping an old lady'

"Let me help you with that" she exclaimed and butted in to assist the woman

Kaptin Keen
2017-01-31, 11:25 AM
They rolled into town a couple of hours after the first bunch, he points to the original acolytes, told us they're enemies of the Emperor and so on, we need to stop them by destroying their V8's, and they'd pay us handsomely if we did this.

We've received payment already. It's in a crate back at the foundry - they showed us the content, said they'll remote open the lock once the job is complete. We have a radio to call them.

As all this is going on, a door at the very back of the bar creaks open. In the opening, a white rag is waved by an unseen hand.

Don't shoot - it's me, Sirta. Is it safe to come out? Cautiously, the bartender peeks around the frame, looking at his exploded bar. Taking in the level of destruction, he muses ... oh - that's not so bad. More blood than usual, less broken furniture.

Say, is everyone alright? I know a spot of medicae.

As a matter of fact, half the original acolytes are shot to excrement. I will simply state that Sirtis patches them back together - should the players unexpectedly return, they can rejoin the fun. Otherwise, they will eventually find their way to either NPC roles, or the reclaimation vats.

Destro_Yersul
2017-01-31, 08:46 PM
Ferrus was, of course, badly injured, and felt he had no place in an interrogation anyways. Instead, he was examining the bulldozer. Presumably it would still run, and it no longer had owners. He wondered if there was any use to which they might apply it. Otherwise they could trade it. Vehicles seemed to be valuable here.

Kaptin Keen
2017-02-01, 03:12 AM
The collission between shed and bulldozer had made significant impact on the shed. You could safely say it had been unmade - un-shedified, if you like.

The bulldozer on the other hand was remarkably unchanged by the event. On the whole, it was entirely unimpressed with the shed.

However, such a vehicle struck a rather lower march speed than the V8's. It was undoutably valuable, but it was unclear who - around here - could afford to pay much for it.

Anyone in need of treatment can remove 1 point of damage as Sirta the bartender tends to their wounds. He gets enough modifiers that I'm sure he'll get a succesful roll.

luca0483
2017-02-01, 05:32 AM
Fen is surprised by the door opening, tensing for a moment. She starts reaching for her axe, but stops as the white cloth is waved. She takes a good look at Sirta as he asses the damages.

"I am unhurt. I will have to concur, this is among the better of the possible outcomes to the situation. We are on the right track"

Fen continues to right tables and place back chairs with Chani

"I take that you are the owner of this place?"

Kaptin Keen
2017-02-01, 10:46 AM
Ownership is surprisingly fluid here, good lady, he replies with a chuckle, as he measures out gauze to bind Ferrus' wounds, I'm the squatter who squats in this particular building. In general, whatever you can claim and defend is yours. But I'm the only one capable of producing alcohol - and thus, since I provide an irreplacable community service, no one threatens me, or challenges my right to this building.

luca0483
2017-02-01, 03:11 PM
"Just like the old farmer in the tribes then. What was his name, Shinle? Shingly? Anyway, no-one else on the isles knew how to work the bio-vats. That was the only way we ever got Valka, as importet ones got sick with the redpop within the first few months"

Satisfied with her work, Fen goes back to the still area.

"So, how exactly are we going to do this. We can't find these groxsalts, and i suppose we still have some kind of job to do. Gun-boy, what was it that you were send here to do, anyway?"

LairdMaon
2017-02-02, 12:13 PM
Jashugan puts his gun down. "I've learned enough. I'm going to go get dressed."

With that he returns to the remains of the bedroom, hunts down his kit, and dresses himself.

luca0483
2017-02-02, 01:17 PM
Fen comments, to nobody in particular

"How rude. Not a single thank you, and then he just leaves without answering"

She waits a little, then goes after Jashugan.

"I asked you a question, gun-boy. What were you send down here to do? To that i can add another: Why did you go here, outside, to get dressed?"

Fen looks around at the destroyed bedroom, three out of four walls either crumbling or completely gone.

Kaptin Keen
2017-02-02, 01:28 PM
The last surviving ganger looks in bewilderment as first one, then the other of his captors walk out on him. He looks hither - then dither. No one is pointing any weapons at him, nor paying him any attention.

He gets up, then does the famous unsuspicious-fast-walk towards the door.

LairdMaon
2017-02-02, 01:45 PM
Jashugan turns around abruptly, slightly startled by the onslaught of questions.

"You were talking to me? I'll have to forgive you, no one has ever called me gun-boy before."

"We were sent here to perform an audit. Things were going alright until this building was attacked. Now you are your friends show up out of nowhere..., the barrel of Jashugan's pistol emerges from the wrinkles of the vest in his hands, "What brought you here in such a timely fashion?"

luca0483
2017-02-02, 03:12 PM
"My callname is Fen. Because of the musk. I don't have much of an alternative yet to calling you gun-boy. And i chose it because you were waving your gun around like it solved a problem. Like you are now. Throne, you are fiesty"

Fen frowns at Jashugan, clearly not amused at his way of doing business.

"Remember when you and these people were put together to form a cell? Not everybody were so lucky as to make the cut. In hindsight, the reason we weren't are quite clear"

She points at the bodies of Jashugan's former teammates, crushed under the walls.

"When Mr. Maldanis got news you guys were going to get offed, he immediately gathered all us rejects and sent us to save your asses.

Some kind of metawarp-travel to get to orbit, then an improvised drop-pod to get down here. The ride in that pile of rust was not pleasant, but was the fastest way here. Got here just in time it seems. Fealt like it would open up like a can in a press at any moment, but by his holy design, it did its job, which meant we could do ours, which means you still are here to do yours.

When the machine is in motion it all comes together quite beautifully, doesn't it? If you want proof, the wreck of the pod is still out in the front, over there"

LairdMaon
2017-02-02, 04:31 PM
The gun barrel vanishes from sight as Jashugan holsters it and resumes dressing.

"You said the right name. Sorry about the gun, I'm Jashugan. Formerly of the Adeptus Arbites. We were sent here to investigate the origin of technology that's been showing up on this planet. The technology doesn't fit within the scope of the native tech levels."

"And thanks for the back up. We were outgunned hard."

Destro_Yersul
2017-02-02, 09:24 PM
"And I am Ferrus," came a voice from somewhere within the depths of the bulldozer. The techpriest had satisfied himself as to the outer condition of the machine and was busily investigating its engine and other vital components. "Did any of the attackers survive?"

Kaptin Keen
2017-02-03, 05:15 AM
The interior of the bulldozer show predictable neglect - decades of sand, sand and more sand, and an absence of proper oils and ointments. Still, the machine is remarkably robust and easily servicable.

Col.Straken
2017-02-03, 07:05 AM
Hector watched as everyone left, raising an eyebrow slightly, his Meat Hammer hanging by his side. It wasn't until he heard the "Prisoner" making a quick dash towards the door that he was spurred into action. Moving to intercept the man he hefted his overly large shotgun, made even more menacing by the fire selector on each barrel. "I am sorry, but we have not finished with you, despite them leaving the room. I suggest you sit on a chair, and wait patiently." He had no real talent for interrogation, but the rest of the 'team' clearly decided they had more important business, so he waited a little uncomfortably for someone to return and take charge.

Kaptin Keen
2017-02-03, 09:47 AM
The would-be fugitive had the privilege of witnessing the Meat Hammer reduce one of his friends to what could only after some work have been identified as human remains - and then propably only because of the remains of clothing and other possessions of the recently disintegrated.

As the barrel swings his way, he halts with abruptness that's bordering on comical. He sits down, then very cautiously asks:

Could you, perhaps, not point that thing at me?

I'm honestly not sure I can add anything further of interest. The guys that hired us kept going, straight west - direction of Fossil Valley, I guess. I didn't really see any of them - the big guy that spoke to us wore a helmet. Um ... the third one, the smallest one, had a big ol' rifle.

Uh, that's not to say the other two weren't armed. But a bit hard to see exactly with what, it being dark and all.

luca0483
2017-02-03, 02:00 PM
As Fen hear Jashugan say thank you, she softens up a bit

"You are welcome. Good to know you Jashugan, Ferrus"

Looking out at the darkness of the very early morning, Fen has a thought.

"You two didn't get much sleep, did you? I can drive, and i think one of the others can too, you two could take a nap while we are driving. It won't be comfortable, but neither will sleeping on the floor, and these mattresses are shredded"

LairdMaon
2017-02-04, 10:21 AM
At the mention of sleep all the adrenaline flowing through Jashugan's veins drains away. He yawns so wide one could count his fillings.

"Yeah, I could use a bit more shut-eye. You can drive?" he hands Fen the keys to the truck, "Here, ours is the big beast. I'll sleep up front, with you."

luca0483
2017-02-04, 12:20 PM
A heartfelt smile comes over Fen's face.

"Thought so. I'll fetch the other two"

Fen goes back inside.

"Missy, Metal-man! We are going on the tracks soon, we ride in the big beast out front"

She walks over to the bar area.

"Sir, i recall your name is Sirta? Do we owe you anything? My friends stayed for the night and they attracted a bit of a kerfuffle.
Oh, and there is a crater in the driveway. Do you need any kind of compensation, or can you get this place fixed with the goodwill that you have with the other locals?"

Kaptin Keen
2017-02-04, 12:42 PM
I was under the impression your friends were planning to look at Mackie's V8, the GTO. Unsure if it's important. Other than that, I'll be just fine. I'm keeping the 'dozer - parking it in my guesthouse and then dying I feel makes it mine by right.

Oh I also thought they wanted to ask old Mackie something about where he scavenges. I wasn't really a part of that conversation.

Finally, your wounded friends - the ones who were shot up in guesthouse, and who aren't actually dead - I'll get them back on their feet, and find them a way back to the capitol, where they can return to orbit. The governor's mansion will have better medicae available than I can provide.

luca0483
2017-02-04, 05:11 PM
"They didn't say anything about that, but it might be they are so tired they forgot. I will ask them about it, and if they still want to do it, we will sleep in the van, then go about it when the morning comes"

Fen leaves through the front door, Heading for the van to keep watch over the old team as they got some more hours of shuteye. On the walk back to the vehicle, she starts coughing. The dryness of the air is doing a job on Fen, she is mostly accustomed to humid climates.

She could feel it, this job was going to have her in for the long haul.

Destro_Yersul
2017-02-04, 07:30 PM
"I did want to talk to Mackie again. I feel it is important," Ferrus said. He then turned to the bartender. "I have examined the bulldozer. It is a solid machine, and seems most reliable despite its previous treatment."

Kaptin Keen
2017-02-05, 11:58 AM
The next morning, various members of the local populace pop by to wonder at the destruction. It seems one of the four gangs that most everyone in town is a member of has been all but wiped out overnight. There is a gathering of the leaders of the other three - in the bar - to discuss what will happen with the property of the gang now gone. It seems after such slaughter they don't really have the stomach to fight over the remains.

Or it's all a ruse. That too is possible.

Among the guests is Mackie, surprisingly unaffected by the fight and heavy drinking of the day before.

Oi, begins he, 'ow are'y dis mornin'? Seems ya had a bit more of a fite in ya last nite, eh? Good show, good show. So we 'ad a trade in mind, rite? Ye get me ol' V8 rollin', and I tells ya all I knows about scavingin' inna Valley, rite?

The information you're after isn't really how good Mackie is scavenging - but where. He brought back a las gun that quite simply shouldn't be available on this planet. But he voiced concerns that someone wants these things kept quiet, and was willing to kill to keep them so.

Surely that's entirely unrelated to the events of the night before.

LairdMaon
2017-02-05, 12:45 PM
Jashugan looks up from whatever passes for breakfast around here and says between mouthfuls. "Good call, Mackie. Yeah, that was the deal. Where do you keep that GTO?"

Kaptin Keen
2017-02-05, 01:10 PM
Is inna locked garage over dere. He points, and leads you all off to a small shack a bit away from the bar. Inside, once unlocked, you find another V8, in remarkably good shape - with the hood open. The engine, rather visibly, lacks a manifold.

Destro_Yersul
2017-02-05, 06:28 PM
Ferrus walks up to the machine, muttering a handful of catechisms, and begins to look over the engine. Is the manifold the only thing missing, and how difficult does it look like it would be to make one?

luca0483
2017-02-06, 09:08 AM
Fen looks Ferrus over the shoulder

"Now, i do not know many details about this, i concern myself with the larger design in life, but maybe you could take a look at the remains of the supply crate's landing thrusters, to see if anything could be of use.
It will not be in good shape after the landing, and it will be a pain to get to, underneath the drop crate's floor. But at best it will still be in working condition, with normal luck it will be parts to use or trade, and at worst it will be scrap worth its metal value"

She gestures over towards the small crater

Kaptin Keen
2017-02-06, 12:30 PM
In daylight, the 'drop pod' has a very oh sweet Emperor I fell from space in that and survived look to it. However, Fen is absolutely right. It's retro thrusters are each equipped with high capacity tritanium cooling manifolds. Not an exact fit for a GTO, but nothing a skilled Enginseer couldn't fix with access to a good tooling bench.

I wonder if the utility truck has one of those?!

Is another fluff. I forget if it's Shadowrun or one of the other ones, but I'm pretty sure it's not 40k. However, I cannot recall any of the 40k imaginary materials right now, so what you get is the one I remember =)

Destro_Yersul
2017-02-06, 10:56 PM
"I had been planning to fabricate one, but with the presence of servicable materials some adjustments could be made." Ferrus retrieved his toolkit and started working, performing the incantations of disassembly as he worked on the drop pod. Most of the machine would be scrap, sadly. Re-entry had not been kind to it. Still, the manifolds looked in good condition, for the most part. He might need a welder. Certainly he'd need to see what could be found in the utility truck in terms of tools.

"Does the machine require anything apart from a manifold?" he asked Mackie.

Checkmate-Pony
2017-02-07, 09:58 AM
Chani would watch the boys work with the machines at a distance, if one could call them boys, it was easy to disassociate mechanicum adepts from actual people.

She stood with her two autoguns and spears and crossbow dangling from her heavy robes, along with various packs and gear, making her look like a pack mule. She'd rattle into the bar again clutching an army green flak vest close to her, she looked around and called out:

"Bartender!?"

It sounded rude to call him so, she thought

"I was wondering, with all the damage, you'd be interested in some compensation" "Or perhaps barter for goods, if we are to travel far we will need it"

Col.Straken
2017-02-07, 10:02 AM
Hector had not slept, he hadn't really required it though he may regret that thought later. Instead he had watched over their prisoner, if he could be called as much. He had kept his weapon lowered, but always ready, though the man may not be massive use to them, he was a threat if let go. He ushered the man outside when called to leave, "What are we to do with this one? He has some information, though I do not like the idea of letting him go to report our plans." Surveying the wreckage he had landed in he shivered glad that they had somehow managed to make it "Perhaps there is some rope within our arrival vehicle? He also mentioned that his employers were heading west to a..." he looked at the man, trying to remember the exact name of the place "Fosul Valley?" he said hesitantly, having never heard of or dealt with Fossils within the Mechanicus, or in space.

luca0483
2017-02-07, 11:53 AM
"Have you not let him go yet? We have gotten all that we need from him. Take his radio, as minor precaution that he won't rat us, but otherwise i would say to just let him go. Even if he did get contact with whoever ordered the hit, we have no plans that he can report, because ultimately we do not know our final goal here yet. As soon as we are out of here, he will not even have our location"

Kaptin Keen
2017-02-07, 03:22 PM
I feel it incumbent upon me that you travel Hades carrying along a large pile of barter material specifically given to you by Maldanis for the purpose of interacting with the local economy which is, primarily, barter based.

I further feel it worth mentioning that among the items specified are Vulcanized Rubber Tires. I'll leave it to your discretion to wonder at the value of such things on a planet rife with V8's but devoid of rubber trees.

Also, you have in said stockpile of barter goods refined promethium.

Sirta the barkeep looks over the apparent wreckage of his bar, and shrugs: Nah, that's fine. The process of rebuilding is eternal, this is actually pretty good for a weekday. My customer base does tend toward the rowdy, I'm afraid.

You nameless prisoner nods eagerly at Fen's words, holding out the radio: Here, take it. I wont tell a soul, I swear it by the Throne! I don't even know anything worth telling anyone.

Mackie, talking to Ferrus, looks over his vehicle.

Well now ... I ain't short on dreams'a wat dis machine mite be. But I ain't got the means t'make't happen, y'know? Cud use a paint job. Cud use one a dem music machines.

Ya know what I need? Furry dice!

Ferrus finds the utility truck is indeed well equipped for field repairs, and it will easily allow him to modify the manifolds to fit the GTO.

It has a small welder too, but the fuel won't last forever and most likely cannot be replaced here on Hades.

Checkmate-Pony
2017-02-07, 04:08 PM
"Urgh! but I want to get rid of this!?" clutching the flak vest "I have one spare and I want someone who needs it more than me to have it" she pleaded needlessly and walk away defeated. She went back out and looked for the others, coming upon the shack and the others working on the V8. She sat down looking at them for a bit holding on to her flak vest

"Is there anything I can help with?" she said at length shrugging

"Ferrus?" she said experimentally

luca0483
2017-02-07, 04:58 PM
Hearing Chani, Fen turns around.

"Ah, yes, miss Chani. Do you need help bartering for supplies? Sirta probably got fixated on your first remark. Let us ask Mr. Mackie here"

She taps Mackie on the shoulder

"Could you be so good, as to point us in the direction, where people buy food around these parts, please?"

A feint smile is on Fen's lips, her choice of words even politer then usual.

Destro_Yersul
2017-02-07, 09:18 PM
"I was speaking primarily in terms of making it run." Ferrus said, taking the manifolds he'd removed back to the truck and setting to work. When he was asked if there was anything he needed help with he stopped, briefly, casting about. "Hm. Um. Carry the parts from the drop pod back to the truck? It shouldn't be left here."

If you need a roll for the manifold modification: [roll0]

luca0483
2017-02-08, 03:29 AM
"Yes, yes. Just after we get some food, Ferrus. After we take off from here, it will probably be some time before we reach another settlement. Even you must need sustenance, surely"

Checkmate-Pony
2017-02-08, 08:23 AM
Chani's head would swing back and fourth between the two
she started to follow Fen whilst looking back at Ferrus "Yes... what she said, I'll help with that afterwards"

She turned to Fen to stay at her side, quickly greeting Mackie as curtly as she could before speaking:

"In truth milady, all I wished was to give this flak vest away to someone who needs it, it seems we all have one, a great gift surely, but I have less use for it" she would explain "In fact I do carry rations with me but it will only last a single person for 2 weeks as estimated on it's instructions" "I hoped I could trade with the natives since I've read of some cultures don't take kindly to gifts without feeling in debt. Perhaps our prisoner would appreciate the Vest, after we shot his friends, he might be more than happy to accept it knowing he could avoid the same fate as them" she said with a big smile.

She'd continue: "perhaps we don't need to as I heard Ferrus and Jaq-jas-Jashugan already had supplies with them before we gracefully descended to aid them in their quest"

luca0483
2017-02-09, 11:06 AM
"Yes, but we do not know for how long we will have to rely on those rations. Better err on the side of caution, and have energency meals. Even if we had more than enough food and supplies, do not just go around giving perfectly good ceramic armour away when i only have quilted linen! I am sweating in this thing anyway"

Fen cracks a smile

"If you want to give it to somebody who needs it, i will take it. I would, however, still like to see if we could get some local food"

Checkmate-Pony
2017-02-09, 06:50 PM
Chani was taken by surprise: "why of course you may have it, I did not realize how naked you were to weapon fire" she almost forcefully hands over the vest to Fen, before reaching for one of her autoguns and offering that as well

she returned the smile "You must take this too; so you may return said weapon fire and end them rightly!"

LairdMaon
2017-02-09, 07:28 PM
Jashugan looks over the renewed cell and how everyone is working together so well. With a chuckle he turns and heads back into the bar.

Approaching the gathered gang bosses, he takes a long look at the collected gear from the dead gangers.

"You mind if I go through that gear? I might want to lay claim to an item or two, yeah?"

Kaptin Keen
2017-02-10, 03:06 PM
Hades is a planet almost entirely unsuited to agriculture. Hot, dry, with largely infertile soils (sand just isn't all that good for crops) - and to boot, settled almost entirely by gangers, goons and scum with neither the heart or the skills to growing food.

For this reason, the local delicacies include such treats as imported soy-analog, imported nutri-paste, lizard-on-a-stick and similar. It's true that even the smallest settlement has some sort of hydroponics setup, but no place is self-sufficient, and thus, what's traded is almost all of a lower quality than what you already have. You can buy more of the same. There are other items, though.

In another part of the compound, Ferrus deftly assembles the engine of the GTO - now including it's new, custom manifold. At his signal, Mackie hits the ignition, and the old engine rumbles to life with a sound sweet enough to bring tears of joy to a hardened thug.

Yet elsewhere, the various gangers look at each other, all looking for someone else to make a decision. Eventually, the concensus seems to be that - the guys who can kill their way through fully a quarter of the settlements armed thugs can do whatever they damned well please with the loot afterwards.

You have two V8's and a large supply truck. You have FRANCIS the servitor. The truck has a turret originally intended for a sensor array, a swivel las-measurement thingy, now long gone.

You also have a bunch of stuff highly valuable to the locals - included but not limited to quality tires, high yield fuel, colorful magazines, archaic audio recordings (yes, there is a tape cassette marked BORN TO BE WILD - mix.

For their part, the locals have information, maps, and a variety of ramshackle weapons and other gear. Stuff you could get in Volg or on Coseflame - be it a crank cannon, a steam drill or a bilge grenade - if it's low tech, dirty, noisy and crappy, it's available.

Destro_Yersul
2017-02-12, 11:24 AM
When he was done, Ferrus wiped his hands off on his robe and stepped back to admire the vehicle. It really was a fine piece of engineering. "How's that, then?" he asked Mackie. "Will you now begin the search for fuzzy dice?"

whatever those were.