PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help With A Hulking Hurler Build

Shame
2016-09-18, 05:08 PM
So last time I was here I asked for help with a dragonborn catfolk bard shadowcraft mage gish. And now I need your help making his "little" brother, Scratch.

My DM already loves high powered campaigns, where he'll usually be pretty generous with stuff like a bonus feat or free LA or something. But this time he want's us to be stupid with it. Going by RAW whenever its funny (I'm looking at you Iron Heart Surge) and even ignoring certain rules outright. As long as we aren't ruining the other players fun, its allowed.

So that's how Scratch happened. First off the version of catfolk we're using can be found here. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Beastfolk,_Urban_Catfolk_(3.5e_Race)) Scroll down to the bottom and you'll find Wild Catfolk. As you can see, they can take Gigantism at level 1. Which has the exact same effects as Powerful Build. And my DM is allowing them to stack. So I was thinking of taking Fighter and using the bonus feat to get both. But then I remember that War Hulk/Hulking Hurler is a thing but for that a Barbarian would be the best entry. Since everyone knows that the casters are going to be the most OP no matter what, I'd probably be allowed to take both anyway. As for templates we already discussed it and I'm allowed to take half-minotaur. (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/half-minotaur.shtml)

And by our interpretation (aka probably the wrong one) increasing effective size via Powerful Build grants all of the positives from a size change with the exception of reach. Including stat changes. And we're using this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm) page to determine the effects it'll have on his stats.

Edit: I suppose I didn't put any real questions in here. What other feats should I take? I was planning on making my final build look like this, Barbarian 7/War Hulk 10/Hulking Hurler 3, but is there any good dips that I should know about?

Vizzerdrix
2016-09-18, 06:07 PM
Maybe take hidden talent for expansion to go even bigger?

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-18, 06:28 PM
You may want to take a look at Tiny von BigMcLargeHuge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?132294-Tiny-Von-BigMcLargeHuge).

Shame
2016-09-18, 07:29 PM
You may want to take a look at Tiny von BigMcLargeHuge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?132294-Tiny-Von-BigMcLargeHuge).

That looks like a really fun idea but it doesn't really help here. Sorry.

Shame
2016-09-18, 08:43 PM
maybe take hidden talent for expansion to go even bigger?

"This isn't even my final form!"

(apparently all caps gets filtered)

Soranar
2016-09-18, 09:25 PM
If you're dead set on playing ant man, I would recommend this

play a very tiny race of some kind (say a muckdweller or a jermlaine)
take the stoneborn prestige class (the one that lets you count as a goliath)
now take barbarian with goliath rage substitution level

your tiny muckdweller becomes large whenever he rages

Shame
2016-09-18, 10:23 PM
If you're dead set on playing ant man, I would recommend this

play a very tiny race of some kind (say a muckdweller or a jermlaine)
take the stoneborn prestige class (the one that lets you count as a goliath)
now take barbarian with goliath rage substitution level

your tiny muckdweller becomes large whenever he rages

But this character is meant to be another characters little brother. Ergo it really only makes sense if he's the same race (Or a half breed in this case) and the idea isn't to be small with a huge effective size or to be able to grow, its just to get my carrying capacity as high as possible for when I become a hulking hurler.

I suppose I wasn't clear enough, my apologies.

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-19, 12:52 AM
But this character is meant to be another characters little brother. Ergo it really only makes sense if he's the same race (Or a half breed in this case) and the idea isn't to be small with a huge effective size or to be able to grow, its just to get my carrying capacity as high as possible for when I become a hulking hurler.

I suppose I wasn't clear enough, my apologies.

Festering Anger plus any one of:
Binder 1, for Naberius
Incarnate 1, for Strongheart Vest
Shape Soulmeld, for Strongheart Vest (not as effective as the Incarnate dip unless you can get 2 essentia from other feats)
Cancer Mage 1, for Disease Host

Add enough time, mix thoroughly, and you have as high a Strength score as you want. It does break the usual unspoken agreement between players and DMs to not use arbitrarily-high or infinite loops, though. Maybe contribute to combat in other ways most of the time, and only pull out the 10-foot lead spheres (stored neatly in an Enveloping Pit) to dumpster a boss who's giving you trouble.

Shame
2016-09-19, 01:47 PM
Festering Anger plus any one of:
Binder 1, for Naberius
Incarnate 1, for Strongheart Vest
Shape Soulmeld, for Strongheart Vest (not as effective as the Incarnate dip unless you can get 2 essentia from other feats)
Cancer Mage 1, for Disease Host

Add enough time, mix thoroughly, and you have as high a Strength score as you want. It does break the usual unspoken agreement between players and DMs to not use arbitrarily-high or infinite loops, though. Maybe contribute to combat in other ways most of the time, and only pull out the 10-foot lead spheres (stored neatly in an Enveloping Pit) to dumpster a boss who's giving you trouble.

My DM would probably let me put returning on a sphere and carry it around with me so I could throw it then have it come back and throw it again.