PDA

View Full Version : Sunsword (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft)

schreier
2016-09-18, 07:55 PM
A friend is creating a Knight of the Raven, from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

One of the items he's looking at getting is the Sunsword (pg 210-211)

It's an awesome item (+1 bastard sword that can use shortsword proficiency - so eliminates the need for exotic weapon proficiency). If you bond with it, it gets better. The "better" comes with a cost though -- "

With the bonded effect, it has a cost to the user ...
"On any day the bonded wielder draws the Sunsword, you forfeit 8 hit points and accrue a skill check penalty of –2 for that day. These costs fade 24 hours later, unless you again draw the Sunsword."

A couple questions:

I would think that, once you draw it, you can sheathe and draw it as many times as desired over the next 24 hours without additional cost. So I basically read the "once a day" as a 24 hour period - do you agree?

What if you draw it and don't sheathe it for a week? Do the penalties fade in 24 hours, then do not occur again until after you redraw the sword?

What if you get someone else to draw it (like a squire)?

Thanks in advance
schreier

OldTrees1
2016-09-18, 08:16 PM
IIRC the Sunsword is a Weapon of Legacy. In other words the benefits and the costs of the sword are tied together and scale of the user's character level.

I don't remember anything about 24 hours or about drawing the weapon, but the bonding costs are not a per draw cost, they are a cost of the bonding.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-09-18, 08:38 PM
I think there was something about a non-legacy adaptation for DM's who didn't want to use legacy rules.

Khedrac
2016-09-19, 02:26 AM
A friend is creating a Knight of the Raven, from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

One of the items he's looking at getting is the Sunsword (pg 210-211)

It's an awesome item (+1 bastard sword that can use shortsword proficiency - so eliminates the need for exotic weapon proficiency). If you bond with it, it gets better. The "better" comes with a cost though -- "

With the bonded effect, it has a cost to the user ...
"On any day the bonded wielder draws the Sunsword, you forfeit 8 hit points and accrue a skill check penalty of –2 for that day. These costs fade 24 hours later, unless you again draw the Sunsword."

A couple questions:

I would think that, once you draw it, you can sheathe and draw it as many times as desired over the next 24 hours without additional cost. So I basically read the "once a day" as a 24 hour period - do you agree?

What if you draw it and don't sheathe it for a week? Do the penalties fade in 24 hours, then do not occur again until after you redraw the sword?

What if you get someone else to draw it (like a squire)?

Thanks in advance
schreier
I would read that these are penalties (so do not stack with themselves) and the penalties fade 24 hours after you last draw the blade.

Technically you could keep the sword drawn for more than a day and then wield it without penalty, but at that point the DM may rule that "drawing" here means "readying for use" not "taking out of a scabbard or other container".

schreier
2016-09-21, 08:03 AM
Thank you all ... I think these answers make sense.

I know there are 2 sunswords, and the one in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft is not listed as legacy as far as I can tell.

That being said the answers make sense ...

I am going to go with:
The "drawing" activates the powers effectively. So you get the +2 (+4 vs evil) and the silver vs undead and sunlight effect but suffer the penalty of -8hp (I think that reduces the max for 24 hours, as opposed to counting as damage) and -2 to skill checks.

After 24 hours, the penalties fade, but so do the additional powers (at that point, it would revert to a simple +1 bastard sword that can be used one handed with short sword proficiency)

The last bit is a slight addition to the rules, but makes sense to me.

Thanks all
schreier