PDA

View Full Version : Mental Scores Question

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-18, 08:35 PM
OK I got a question to ask about mental scorestate. OK my character Patrick Club is a male Drowning fighter. His score for Intelligence and Charisma is 12 while his score for Wisdom is 10. So does these mental scores have a special meaning to it or no?

Zanos
2016-09-18, 08:39 PM
10 is average. Int and Wis 12 means your character is a little smarter and convincing than average. Wis 10 is just normal. Not really high or low enough to be particularly striking character features on their own.

Mechanically, 12 int gives you +1 skill point per level.

Eladrinblade
2016-09-19, 03:57 PM
I've always seen 13 as the cut-off for being "good" with that score. So 13 strength is "strong", 13 intelligence is "smart" and so on. This is because feats with ability score prerequisites often have 13 as the number. Power attack requires 13 strength, combat expertise 13 int, point-blank shot 13 dex, etc.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-09-19, 05:07 PM
I've always seen 13 as the cut-off for being "good" with that score. So 13 strength is "strong", 13 intelligence is "smart" and so on. This is because feats with ability score prerequisites often have 13 as the number. Power attack requires 13 strength, combat expertise 13 int, point-blank shot 13 dex, etc.
This is a good way of looking at it, I think. At 12, you have a small advantage, but no new tricks, while at 13, you start seeing some special ability-enabled tricks. Of course, 16 is still pretty reasonable, and 18s happen quite a lot in large populations, so you might want to give your olympic decathletes something like 16/16/16 on physical scores (note that in real life, unlike in D&D, str/dex/con training is a big deal in athletics, in addition to genetic luck and skill training).

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-19, 05:13 PM
This is a good way of looking at it, I think. At 12, you have a small advantage, but no new tricks, while at 13, you start seeing some special ability-enabled tricks. Of course, 16 is still pretty reasonable, and 18s happen quite a lot in large populations, so you might want to give your olympic decathletes something like 16/16/16 on physical scores (note that in real life, unlike in D&D, str/dex/con training is a big deal in athletics, in addition to genetic luck and skill training). Well my character physical ability is very good. Both strength and constitution score are 14 and dexterity score is 18.