PDA

View Full Version : Question.. Undead Concentration Checks - Auto succeed, auto fail or roll?

Incarnate
2016-09-18, 09:13 PM
Hey people..

As the subject reads: Undead Concentration Checks - Auto succeed, auto fail or roll without ability modifier?

Since undead has no constitution score, that could be interpreted as it would be impossible for an undead to fail a concentration, just as an undead can keep on running without ever becoming fatigued.
But it could also be interpreted as they would always fail the concentration check as if their constitution modifier was negative towards the infinitive, which would mean one could never succeed on a roll. Hence my question, as the DM I'd interpret it as either auto succeed or roll without ability modifier - but is there an actual ruling on this that I'm unware of?

Thanks.

/Inc.

Malimar
2016-09-18, 09:26 PM
My first thought was to check

Constitution
Any living creature has at least 1 point of Constitution. A creature with no Constitution has no body or no metabolism. It is immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save unless the effect works on objects or is harmless. The creature is also immune to ability damage, ability drain, and energy drain, and automatically fails Constitution checks. A creature with no Constitution cannot tire and thus can run indefinitely without tiring (unless the creature’s description says it cannot run).
But Concentration checks aren't Constitution checks, they're just Constitution-based checks.

So I believe in this case, the regular "The modifier for a nonability is +0." applies. Undead make concentration checks as normal, with an ability modifier of +0.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Also this post is in the general RPG forum and it should be in the D&D 3.5e forum.

Incarnate
2016-09-18, 09:34 PM
My first thought was to check

But Concentration checks aren't Constitution checks, they're just Constitution-based checks.

So I believe in this case, the regular "The modifier for a nonability is +0." applies. Undead make concentration checks as normal, with an ability modifier of +0.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Also this post is in the general RPG forum and it should be in the D&D 3.5e forum.

Just did a google search - it appears that they would use charisma modifier instead - although I'm lacking a rule reference for this.

..my bad with the wrong category.

Malimar
2016-09-18, 09:38 PM
Just did a google search - it appears that they would use charisma modifier instead - although I'm lacking a rule reference for this.

..my bad with the wrong category.

Ohhey, that's right. I neglected to check the Undead Type, which says

Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.

Incarnate
2016-09-18, 09:45 PM
Ohhey, that's right. I neglected to check the Undead Type, which says

Well then thats settled ;)

Thanks.

Malimar
2016-09-19, 02:36 AM
Note that constructs lack that trait, and thus the earlier answer (treat them as having a Con modifier of +0) would still stand for them.