PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Druid or Oracle?

Zhentarim
2016-09-18, 09:55 PM
Which of these two is a better tank?

Secret Wizard
2016-09-18, 11:49 PM
Frontliner you mean? Both have strengths and weaknesses. The Druid has it tougher early on, depending on its animal companion to soak some damage or in a good Domain that can help out.

The Oracle, properly built, can have it better early on.

However, as levels go higher up, I think the Druid's strengths are more marked, particularly the good Fort progression (tons of enemies have "if hit, Fort save or cry" abilities) and the size increases (as they allow for more control). Not to say that Oracles lag behind (after all, they have access to Righteous Might and cool Revelations).

Druid ramp up time is very notable though. You have to wait for Wild Shape, then wait for dragonhide wild armor...

Zhentarim
2016-09-19, 01:18 AM
Frontliner you mean? Both have strengths and weaknesses. The Druid has it tougher early on, depending on its animal companion to soak some damage or in a good Domain that can help out.

The Oracle, properly built, can have it better early on.

However, as levels go higher up, I think the Druid's strengths are more marked, particularly the good Fort progression (tons of enemies have "if hit, Fort save or cry" abilities) and the size increases (as they allow for more control). Not to say that Oracles lag behind (after all, they have access to Righteous Might and cool Revelations).

Druid ramp up time is very notable though. You have to wait for Wild Shape, then wait for dragonhide wild armor...

I kinda like the oracle flavor better.

Endarire
2016-09-19, 02:15 AM
Be what you want. Mechanically, Druids are hard to beat: Full casters with a replaceable pet, 2 good saves, full access to their spells known, and spontaneous SNA summoning

Zhentarim
2016-09-19, 05:56 AM
Be what you want. Mechanically, Druids are hard to beat: Full casters with a replaceable pet, 2 good saves, full access to their spells known, and spontaneous SNA summoning

Then again, with Lunar Oracle, you can get 3 attacks at level one, a replaceable grizzly bear pet, and almost full casting.

Steven
2016-09-19, 05:59 AM
Then again, with Lunar Oracle, you can get 3 attacks at level one, a replaceable grizzly bear pet, and almost full casting.

Three attacks at level 1? I am missing something here.

Zhentarim
2016-09-19, 06:06 AM
Three attacks at level 1? I am missing something here.

If you take a race with claws, then the wolfscarred face revelation, then the gift of claw and horn revelation, you can get 4...but if you go the grizzly route, you get 6 between the 2 of you and a maneating mount.

DracoknightZero
2016-09-19, 06:09 AM
Well, isnt it a revelation in nature or lunar which also lets you pick a animal companion? If thats the case just patch it up with "boon companion" and you have a Druid with spotanious casting and cleric spell-list.

Psyren
2016-09-19, 08:40 AM
The big advantage to Druids is wild shape, which lasts all day and can't be dispelled. If that's not enough to sway you, then Oracle should be the way to go. (It rather sounds like you've decided on Oracle already anyway.)

Zhentarim
2016-09-19, 08:51 AM
The big advantage to Druids is wild shape, which lasts all day and can't be dispelled. If that's not enough to sway you, then Oracle should be the way to go. (It rather sounds like you've decided on Oracle already anyway.)

Yes, though I can get wildshape at level 5 through lunar

Psyren
2016-09-19, 09:00 AM
Yes, though I can get wildshape at level 5 through lunar

You get a similar ability ("Form of the Beast") but it's not actually Wild Shape. This is important because there are a number of feats and other effects out there that benefit Wild Shape, that won't be any use to you - e.g. Natural Spell, Wild Speech, Quick Wild Shape, Powerful Shape, Planar Wild Shape, the Wild armor property etc. You also don't get elemental or plant forms (though you do get magical beasts.)

Geddy2112
2016-09-19, 10:21 AM
A better tank? If you mean the one that could take an absurd amount of beating, I would say oracle hands down. An oradin in particular can take a lot of damage and ask for seconds. The life mystery alone allows for a ton of healing so the oracle can soak damage for more fragile party members. Druids can heal and hold up to frontline damage, but not to the level the oracle can.