PDA

View Full Version : can u use an action, a reaction, and a bonus action in the same round?

Joe dirt
2016-09-18, 10:35 PM
thanks for the answer

Joe the Rat
2016-09-18, 10:40 PM
Yes.
You can even use them all on your turn if circumstances provide.

Fuzzy Logic
2016-09-19, 12:20 AM
That opens up for a question I have: can you cast shield as a reaction to an opportunity attack that you trigger on your turn?

djreynolds
2016-09-19, 12:37 AM
That opens up for a question I have: can you cast shield as a reaction to an opportunity attack that you trigger on your turn?

Yes, but you only have 4 1st level spell slots, so it could be expensive.

Quintessence
2016-09-19, 01:09 AM

Yes if you haven't cast another spell of 1st level or higher that turn.

MrStabby
2016-09-19, 02:02 AM
Yes if you haven't cast another spell of 1st level or higher that turn.

Away from book, but don't think that is a condition.

I think that is a condition for Bonus action spells, but not for reaction spells.

Remember that an example given on the PHB is counterspelling a counterspell on a spell you have cast.

Quintessence
2016-09-19, 02:10 AM

I think that is a condition for Bonus action spells, but not for reaction spells.

Remember that an example given on the PHB is counterspelling a counterspell on a spell you have cast.

Oh really? Well then I am a big dummy head...

Kryx
2016-09-19, 02:53 AM

This is correct - that only applies to bonus action spells.

RaynorReynolds
2016-09-19, 10:51 PM
As a Barbarian with PAM and Sentinel I use my action, bonus action, and reaction almost every turn.

Per the PHB, a reaction could be used on your turn or someone else's. And yes, the "no other spells other than cantrips" limitation is only for bonus actions. That is why action surge on a caster can help provide some nice novas or combos.