PDA

View Full Version : The Princes of Duvallis (IC)

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-19, 05:44 AM
The Princes of Duvallis
Chapter One: Arrival

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?500864-The-Princes-of-Duvallis-(OOC))

The old road wound along the banks of the Isti river, through the fertile countryside of the river valley. The valley was wide, its walls not particularly steep, worn by erosion and time down to where it was today. Farms and orchards dotted the landscape, the fruit hanging ripe from the trees. The harvest was nearly here, and the year had been good; if all went well, there would be a surplus of available food. Of course, a few things had already gone wrong, by the standards of the people who lived in the city at the end of the road. The Prince of Duvallis had died, and the city was embroiled in the search for a successor, since Philip had passed away without producing any children. Whether he or his wife was to blame for this hardly mattered now. The nobility were picking sides, squaring off, and digging in, each trying to support the candidate most likely to further their own interests. The city was a serpent's nest of intrigue and betrayal, and the upheaval had piqued the interest of more than a few outside parties.

One of these was currently walking along the road towards the city. Her path went up the long causeway, to the city gates, in amidst a group of others seeking to enter. The gates were open, and the guard standing nearby leaning on his spear looked bored, just waiting for something to do to make his shift more interesting. Most of the peasants in the crowd were unarmed, and the weapons and armour the traveller carried on her marked her out as someone above the common rabble. She was not, however, far enough above them to take the high gates, or even to follow the long sloping ramp up towards them. Bored as he was, the fellow on door watch would undoubtedly notice someone trying to sneak up that way. Strictly speaking, she might not even be high up enough to use the main gate. Drow were mistrusted, with reason or without.

No time to worry about that now, though. The gates were coming up, and she had a choice to make. How did she want to get inside?

Artemis97
2016-09-19, 02:52 PM
The easiest way, Alyna Xar'Cha thought, to avoid the trouble of being a drow was to not appear as a drow at all. She tries to find a place to briefly hide, whether it's behind a tree on the side of the road, or behind a slow moving cart, and casts Disguise Self on herself in order to change her appearance. Inky blue-black skin becomes pale, bone white hair turns golden, and blood red eyes change to spring green. And so the drow appeared to be one of her surface kin. A part of her hated this, pretending to be a blasted faerie, but it was a necessary deception to get inside without being stopped.

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-19, 11:31 PM
When her turn came, the guard barely gave her a second look. Just another elf, come to the city for their own reasons. She might have been able to use the upper entrance, but the guards there would probably have asked for papers. Down here, it was a glance and a wave and she was in.

The gate led to the mid levels of the city, where some of the sunlight still filtered down from above. The streets were narrow, some just wide enough to drive a cart down, and many had railings on the sides. Looking over the edge revealed that beneath the streets was a long drop into the lower city. Likely part of what kept things standing was magic, but here and there large braces could be seen extending out from the buildings. Up above more paths and bridges were visible, with the streets getting wider the further up you went. Down at the base, where the city touched the ground, the alleys must be terribly enclosed things, winding pathways with little natural light and the massive weight of masonry looming up on either side. Here, things were more open. You couldn't see the sky too well, but for a Drow that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

The area near the gates seemed to be predominantly market space, and the edges of the available space were clustered with brightly coloured market stalls. People sold all manner of things from carts, and the area smelled of toasted meat and cooking oil, though at a glance the quality seemed to be on the low side of average.

Artemis97
2016-09-21, 01:10 AM
Alyna liked the look of this place. It was busy, full of targets fresh from the road and ready to spend their money. Still, it was probably not the best idea to immediately start pickpocketing people within sight of the guards at the gate. Instead, she decided to make her money through more legitimate means. Finding a space out of the sun, Alyna set her bag down and pulled her wide brimmed hat from her head. The hat she put upside down in front of her, and from the bag she removed a shiny silver flute. Thus set up, she began to play some music to entertain the crowd. With luck they would pay her. However, she would only remain a short time, about a half an hour, so as to be able to get down to the lower town before her spell wore off.

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-22, 12:22 AM
Today was a reasonably good day to perform, it seemed. A few people stopped to watch, and while she was playing Alyna was able to make a quick assessment of the situation in the city. THis market was just a small sample, of course, but it seemed as if the people were doing reasonably well despite the political difficulties. Some of those who were watching tossed coins in the hat, some moved on to be replaced by others. Once she saw a man who seemed to huge and muscular to be real pushing his way through the market on some errand. If the city could support people like that, then there were at least some worth relieving of their purses to be found here. By the end of her half hour she had a small handful of copper and silver coins - 16 silver and 27 copper, taking the time to count them. Gathering up her hat, she escaped to the lower city.

Reaching it was easy, and involved going down until she found a gate, getting the guard on duty to open it for her, and walking through. Getting back up was likely to be significantly harder, especially if her appearance hadn't been magically altered when she tried. The lower city got progressively more narrow and cramped as you descended, and the demographics changed significantly. There were still a lot of humans; they got everywhere, but she started to see Drow and more than a few lizardmen as well. Here and there was a half-orc, but she never saw any full ones. It made sense, they hardly ever came this far north.

Artemis97
2016-09-22, 12:43 AM
As soon as Alyna spots another drow, she cancels her spell, no longer needing to hide herself to walk in the open. Cautiously, but openly, she'll approach one of her kin to inquire about a decent place to stay in the lower city, one that would cater to her kind.

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-22, 04:21 AM
Finding directions was easy - there was a nearby rooming house owned by a Drow named Ildin. It didn't look like much from the outside, having apparently been built into some of the pace between buildings with a pile of stray bricks and whatever wood could be found, but she was assured that inside the rooms were at least clean, and nobody would bother you or ask your business. A list of prices was posted by the door when she entered. Room stay: 2 silver. Food: 1 silver. The rooms were all in the back, and out front was a common room with tables and a bar, a fireplace, and a small crowd of people sitting, talking, drinking, and not looking too hard at any of the other patrons. The only question Ildin asked her when she went to the desk was how long she wanted to stay.

Artemis97
2016-09-23, 03:42 PM
"Indefinitely." Alyna replies. "However, I'll pay for three days up front." She counts out six silver, then adds one more. "And something to eat."

"Also," she adds, "if you know of any jobs around, I'd be interested."

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-23, 07:24 PM
Ildin counted the coins, then swept them off the counter into his hand. From underneath he pulled out a room key and handed it over. "Room number's on the key. Common room is always open. What sort of work are you looking for? I know a few people." The drow had a shorter, more clipped way of talking than most.

The food, as it turned out, was some (rather cheap) mushroom wine, bread, cheese, and stew. The stew was not identified by the sort of meat it had in it, it was just stew.

Artemis97
2016-09-23, 07:34 PM
Alyna checked the room number before pocketing the key. "I've only just arrived, so I won't be picky. I'm a musician, officially, but I do other things too." Her hands flashed in drow sign, the words for thievery and death.

For a silver, she wouldn't complain about the food. It wasn't up to the standards of her home at House Xar'Cha, but, in the Underdark, food was scarce, especially meat. So long as it was relatively tasty, she wouldn't mind. She'd go easy on the mushroom wine, too. Too much of the cheap stuff could give one hallucinations. She made a mental note to find some decent wine somewhere else.

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-24, 02:02 AM
"Always work for a musician down here. Pay's not the best." Ildan quickly signed back that he understood. "Follow me, a moment."

Up a short flight of stairs was a small working space with a desk. There were doors leading off to other areas, but this seemed to be the more private part of the establishment, meant for the staff. "Got two rules," the other Drow said. "Unwritten. One, My house is neutral ground. No killing here. What you do anywhere else is your business. Two, nobody steals from me. Again, elsewhere is your business. I don't want to hear about it, I don't want to know. That said, those skills are in demand right now. I'll mention you to a friend, and that's as far as my involvement goes. Music, on the other hand."

He stopped, and looked around the corner to make sure nobody had heard anything he had just said, before continuing normally. "Musicians are welcome. Play a night in the common room, I pay you coin, or room and board. Your choice. Anything extra that you get given is yours. If you're good, and you draw a crowd, you can play again a different night. If nobody likes you, that's the end of it. Fair?"

Artemis97
2016-09-24, 03:16 PM
"Quite fair." Alyna agreed. "I'd like to play tonight, if that's alright with you? I'm sure I'll be liked. Coin is good for me, I think. What's your going rate?" She asks. If room and board worked out to be worth more, she may go for that option, but usually coin was better.

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-25, 05:58 PM
"Five silvers." Turns out the rate was pretty much the same either way, assuming she ate all three meals here. It might be possible to find cheaper food somewhere else, though. "I don't have anyone else set to play tonight. You can go ahead and try, if you like."

Artemis97
2016-09-25, 06:05 PM
"I'll do that." Alyna agrees.

After her conversation with Ildin, Alyna sits down to eat her meal. She keeps half an eye on the patrons around her, making mental notes as to who they were, in case she should see them again later. Her meal finished, the drowess will set out to explore the undercity, planning to return to the inn just before dinnertime.

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-26, 08:02 AM
The undercity was a strange mix of architecture, even moreso than what she'd seen of the mid city. Many of the original buildings on this level were collapsed and ruined, and the towers holding up the mid city levels only seemed to have survived by being enchanted - she spotted little glowing runes on some of the supports. In and around the pillars, the people who lived down here had made their own buildings, like Ildan's rooming house. The lizardmen enclaves were easy to spot, with walls made of hides and banners covered in tribal markings. Here and there was one which must have had a strong druid on hand, with the walls being partially formed of vines. In front of one of these was a very old lizardman, peering at passerby and leaning on his staff.

A little further on was an open area, a rarity down here, it seemed, where a group of men had started farming mushrooms and lichens, and a strange luminescent cave plant. They had put up walls at some point, but without mortar the old stones they had used were tumbling down in places. They had a number of large dogs, though, which would likely deter most intruders. Indeed, dogs and cats seemed quite common down here, skulking about in the alleyways, hunting the huge rats that scurried up from their burrows below. There were other animals, too; once she passed a pen full of chickens.

The old buildings that weren't ruined had all been repurposed as housing, whatever their original function. A large bath-house had been divided up with cloth partitions, and the central baths turned into a sort of community gathering area. An enterprising few were selling salvage and trinkets, and a pair of lizardmen were cooking something in a big pot and arguing in draconic - Alyna caught part of it. Something about money.

Finally, one area of the city she found was more ruined and collapsed than most. The areas nearby were developed enough, but for whatever reason this particular section had been left alone. She soon found out why. "You don't want to go in there," a woman carrying water back to her home, likely from a nearby well, had stopped when she noticed Alyna looking at the ruins. "That part's under the alchemists and wizards up top. Magic leaks down, does strange things when it mixes with the leftover powders and infusions that get washed down the drain."

Artemis97
2016-09-26, 05:19 PM
Alyna decidedly avoids the area beneath the wizards and alchemists, heeding the woman's warning. The old lizardman was curious. Was he, perhaps, the druid who had made all of those vines?

"Good afternoon." Alyna walks over to him and speaks in draconic. "You look like a man who knows some things."

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-26, 07:13 PM
The lizardman looked at Alyna, glancing up and down. He flicked his tongue out. "A few thingsss," he agreed. Draconic was a hissy sort of language at the best of times, and the way he spoke it made it even worse. "Haven't ssseen you before."

Artemis97
2016-09-26, 07:16 PM
"I am Alyna Xar'Cha of House Xabaresh Charon." The drowess introduces herself with a slight bow. "I just arrived today. I was hoping you might be able to tell me a thing or two about Duvallis."

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-26, 07:41 PM
"Dependsss what you want to know. Here," walking slowly, he made his way over to a long stone block that would serve as a bench. "Sssit."

Artemis97
2016-09-26, 07:54 PM
Alyna follows and sits beside the old lizardman. She thinks for a moment before speaking.

"Who are the important players down here?" The drowess asks. "Who would it benefit me to get to know? Who should I avoid?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-26, 09:30 PM
The old lizardman was similarly thoughtful before responding. "Mossst keep to themselvesss," he said. "Careful of any who come from above. They always want sssomething. Ah, but down here?"

He shrugged, which looked a little funny being done by a species with a naturally hunched back. "Those trying to live and let live can be trusted, generally. If you want to get to know important people, then talk to the ones above. Down here, we are outcastsss. We have leaders, but little influence."

Artemis97
2016-09-26, 10:54 PM
Alyna frowned. Surely the undercity had some say in the world above?

"Who are the leaders down here, then?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-28, 05:08 AM
"The enclaves have each got one. There are... othersss. It does not do to ssspeak of them, lest you draw their attention." He looked somewhat nervous, if that was possible for a lizardman. The others were obviously something he didn't like talking too much about. He quickly moved on from the subject.

"Oh, and there are the churchessss, of course. They're from above, but they're down here too, and they have a good amount of faithful. The largest congregation belongsss to Pelor, and they have a proper cathedral, oh yesss they do. Built it themsssselves. They've been trying to gather more followers, ssstamp out the old faith. We're not having it."

Artemis97
2016-09-28, 06:15 PM
Alyna wanted to ask more about those others, but knew she wouldn't get far, and decided not to press the subject. The talk of the church of Pelor put a sour look on her face.

"That's no good." She decides. "We have a right to our own beliefs. Do they have a strong presence down here?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-29, 03:33 AM
"Would depend how you define ssstrong." The old lizardman turned to look at her. "The priestsss are few, the following is large. They have much ssssupport in the city above. Not all of the churches want to remove our faith, but enough do that it is worrisssome. They preach that our beliefsss are evil, that evil dieties have no place in civilised sssociety."

Artemis97
2016-09-29, 06:02 PM
"Such oppression has no place in civilized society." Alyna snarls. She takes a deep breath, knowing she was getting worked up and then changes the subject. "What about the political leaders? Who are they?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-29, 06:55 PM
"Down here, or up there?" He snorted, and pointed up, at the streets far above them. "Down here we've got the tribal leadersss, as I sssaid. We are not permitted to have a sssay in upper politics. Up top, too many to count. You have heard of the current difficulties, yesss?"

Artemis97
2016-09-29, 07:38 PM
"I've heard that the ruler of this city died without an heir." Alyna answers. "It's causing problems, and there's...three? potential candidates?" She tries to recall.

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-29, 11:59 PM
"That's right," he said, nodding. "Do you know who they are? Marin is currently in power, but they name him usssurper. Redford is only a half-brother, but has the best claim. Borisss is an idiot."

Artemis97
2016-09-30, 12:34 AM
Alyna giggles. "And why is that?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-30, 01:36 AM
"He's the dead prince's cousssin. He has ambition, and he ssspeaks well. He would be popular. But he underssstands nothing of how to lead."

Artemis97
2016-09-30, 05:51 PM
"Ah," Alyna says, seeing the problem. "And what about the other two? How are they as leaders?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-09-30, 11:07 PM
"Marin issss... powerful, wants to do the best for the city. He rose from low origins, and got to be where he is on the ssstrength of ambition and ability. He ssserved as an advisor, and he knows the workings of the government well. He is unpopular with the nobility, who think he is acting above his station, but I think he is well sssuited for the job. Redford, he is a military man. Honourable. He has much experience, and would be a good prince, once he came to underssstand how to rule a city instead of commanding soldiers."

Artemis97
2016-09-30, 11:28 PM
"They both sound like better candidates." Alyna agrees. "Marin seems particularly interesting. He must be powerful for the nobility not to have thrown him down by now."

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-01, 07:25 PM
"He is a sssorcerer, and he has a few well-placed friendsss. To throw him out, they would risk civil war and excommunication. Alssso fireballs."

Artemis97
2016-10-01, 07:30 PM
That sets Alyna laughing. After a moment she catches her breath and considers something. "So he has friends in the church of Pelor?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-01, 07:43 PM
The old lizard nods. "At least one. His nephew is the Bishop."

Artemis97
2016-10-01, 07:47 PM
Alyna lets out a low whistle. "That's a pretty big friend. Is this nephew the one pushing all this 'get rid of the old religions' nonsense?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-01, 08:01 PM
At that, the old lizardman spread his hands. "I do not know. It might be him, it might be someone below him. It might be just the division of the temple that exists down here. If he does not push it, though, he does not condemn it either."

Artemis97
2016-10-01, 08:13 PM
"Hm," Alyna frowns, thinking. "I wonder if he could be convinced to do so. Probably not. He's probably a zealot."

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-02, 06:00 AM
The lizardman only blinked at her. It was clear that he viewed the question as rhetorical.

"Is there anything elssse you wish to know?" he asked.

Artemis97
2016-10-02, 05:06 PM
Alyna thinks for a moment, then shakes her head. "Not right now, no. Thank you for talking with me." She says, standing.

With her conversation with the old lizardman ended, Alyna will move on to explore the trinkets and salvage being sold in the area that used to be a bath house.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-02, 06:21 PM
The communal market was noisy, but not particularly crowded. The vendor tables were pushed off to the side, and the items on display were not grouped by any particular theme. Here a rusted old sword, there an array of jewelry made from coloured glass. Carvings made of stone, old coins, maps that allegedly led to great treasures, puzzle boxes, used books... There was a lot to look through, but the value of most of it was questionable.

roll search to see if you find anything good in the market

Artemis97
2016-10-02, 06:29 PM
Alyna searches through the tables of items for anything interesting.

Search Check: [roll0]

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-03, 07:25 AM
Alyna spent some time looking around at the assorted items on display. One table had a box of so-called 'healing crystals,' most of which appeared to be regular old quartz. At 5 gold apiece, it was small wonder that not many had been sold. A little cutting, and maybe a profit could be made, especially on one she found that looked like it was an uncut garnet, rather than quartz. On another table, amongst a collection of little stone carvings, was a small idol. It didn't look out of place in amongst the others, depecting as it did some sort of aquatic diety, but it did look considerably older than the others, and had likely been found rather than made. Buried in a box of coins was an ornate little brass key, which didn't look like it matched anything else on the table.

"See anything you like?" asked the woman in charge of the tableful of carvings.

Artemis97
2016-10-03, 07:24 PM
"What can you tell me about this piece?" Alyna asks, indicating the older carving of the aquatic deity.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-03, 08:11 PM
"Umm, not much? What did you want to know? I made most of these, but that one's not one I carved myself. I was using it as a model for some of the others."

Artemis97
2016-10-03, 08:23 PM
"Well, I was curious as to where it came from. How much do you want for it, too?"

Appraise Check [roll0]

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-04, 05:01 AM
"Oh, I could let it go, I suppose." The woman picked it up and turned it around in her hands. "It's a bit scuffed. Thirty pennies?"

Aside from being somewhat inexperienced at haggling, the woman appeared to be undervaluing the object. Three silver coins wasn't much, and the little statue could probably be resold for profit later. Maybe five gold, to an curious buyer, unless it turned out to have some innate value Alyna wasn't aware of. Maybe more, if she could find someone interested in strange old things like this. There were other carvings of the same god, but as reproductions they would undoubtedly be worth less.

"I found it on the outskirts, near the river wall. It was in the mud. Rashi says it's Xa'niyus, and that it's good luck to keep him in your home. I've been making more of him, if you want a newer one. Only fifteen pennies more."

Artemis97
2016-10-04, 07:33 PM
"No, I'll take the old one." Alyna decides, considering the three silver an investment. Maybe she could find some art dealer in the upper city who would be interested in it. It would take a little legwork, but most investments did. She counts out three silver from her coin purse and offers it to the woman.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-05, 01:57 AM
"Thank you," she said, sweeping the coins off the table and into a box. "Hope he brings you good luck."

Artemis97
2016-10-05, 02:52 PM
"I hope so too." Luck and a bit of coin.

Alyna moves on looking at the other things. The quartz and even the garnet was too rich for her blood. With only a few silver left, she couldn't afford the investment. Perhaps they would be there on another day. The key catches her eye. Keys unlocked things.

"What does this go to?" She asks the vendor.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-06, 12:57 AM
"I don't know, actually. I found it digging around in some of the ruins. You can have it for a silver, if you want it."

Artemis97
2016-10-06, 05:18 PM
"No, that's alright." The drowess decides. It was pretty, but she needed the coin, and to buy a key that didn't open anything seemed foolish. Besides, she had a set of lockpicks. She didn't need keys.

With the little market fully explored, Alyna decided to approach the farmers working in the field.

"Good afternoon!" She calls to them. "What are you growing?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-06, 07:55 PM
"Whatever we can," said the closest, straightening up from tending one of the plots and wiping his forehead with the back of his hand. He had one of the dogs with him, and the animal was looking at Alyna curiously, though not yet openly hostile. Likely because its owner was on hand. "Down here there's not enough light for most things, so a lot of it's mushrooms. We grow Night Caps and a couple types of agaric, here. Why? D'you have an interest in farming?"

Artemis97
2016-10-06, 07:59 PM
"I have an interest in food." Alyna admits with a smile. "I was wondering if you might know where I could get some good food for cheap? Maybe I can buy some of your mushrooms? You wouldn't happen to do mushroom wine, either, would you?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-06, 09:27 PM
"That's what the Night Caps are for. The wine, I mean," He said. "If you want to buy, you'd have to talk to the old man. I just work here."

He pointed at a shed at the far end of the open space, built up against the tower walls. "Try there."

Artemis97
2016-10-06, 09:39 PM
"Thank you." Alyna says and makes her way over to the sheds.

"Hello? Is anyone here?" She asks.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-08, 06:38 PM
The sheds looked like a combination of living space and storefront, once she got closer. The living space was all closed off, but the shop area had a scavenged window and a bunch of shelves. The counter was unmanned when she entered, but a woman in an apron showed up rather quickly upon being called. Alyna had time to look at the shelves while she was waiting: bottles of wine, and jars of pickled mushrooms, for the most part. Nothing perishable.

Artemis97
2016-10-08, 07:09 PM
"Hello," Alyna greets the woman. "I was wondering about your prices for wine and such."

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-09, 10:47 AM
"Wine varies. If it's a bad year, or a newer wine, it's 2 gold crowns. 5 buys a good bottle. We mostly sell to businesses, the people down here don't often have that much spare money on hand. If you want something else..." She shrugged. "There's always pickles. 5 silver per jar, or per pound of fresh mushrooms, if we've got them. That's dependant on when the harvest happens. Got bags of dried mushrooms sometimes, too. Those cost a little more, because they lose a lot of weight when you dry them out."

Artemis97
2016-10-09, 01:54 PM
Alyna nods. "Sounds reasonable. I'm new to the city, actually, do you think you could tell me about some places to buy food? Bakeries, delis, butcher shops, perhaps a restaurant? Maybe one of the places you supply?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-09, 06:32 PM
"Well, if you're stuck down here I can help. We do wine and a few preserved things with mushrooms. Down near the waterfront there's a few people who own fishing rods, and they'll sell you what they can catch that day. Butchers... there's Mr. Hogg, but it's best not to ask where he gets the meat from. Bakeries, there's lots. Bread is thankfully easy, so just look around a bit. What we supply is all inns, for the most part. There's a few of them."

Artemis97
2016-10-09, 07:00 PM
Alyna frowns, thinking. She wasn't truly trapped down here, but passing in the city above required the use of her magic. She wondered exactly how the people would react to a drowess walking about in the open. Could they stop her? Would anyone pay her for a performance? Would anyone do business with her? Maybe if she made a name for herself. Was her music that good? Or would she have to do something else?

Alyna sighs and turns her mind to the matter at hand. "I think I'll buy a jar of pickled mushrooms, please?" She says, counting out five coins from her purse.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-10, 08:18 AM
"Thank you." The woman counted the coins and took them, indicating the shelves. "Pick whichever you like."

Artemis97
2016-10-10, 11:57 AM
Alyna reads the labels on the jars before selecting something flavorful and a bit spicy. She puts the jar in her bag and turns to leave, pausing only to ask "Where can I find Mr. Hogg?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-13, 05:18 AM
"Down the street, close to the docks. You'll see his sign."

Following the woman's directions, Alyna found the market. This part of town wasn't really a market, just the place where they put the buildings that smelled too much to be near housing. The air stank of leather and fish, blood and alchemy, a large sign depicting a fat pig marking her destination. Mr. Hogg was as fat as the pig on his sign, and his shop smelled vaguely of animals, though he had nothing hanging on display. It wouldn't have been cold enough to leave meat out, he probably had an icebox in back.

"Ello," he said as she entered. "Wot ken I do for ye?"

Artemis97
2016-10-13, 04:54 PM
"I was hoping to buy some meat, if it's not too high a price. Something cured, preferably." Alyna replies.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-13, 06:29 PM
"Cured? Ah, might a've sumfing." The butcher shuffled around the shop, and through a door into the back. His storefront didn't seem to have much in it at all, actually. There were a few small wheels of cheese, with a wax coating to protect them. Strings of garlic hung from the ceiling, with price tags attached. One shelf had a short row of jars filled with dried leaves or nuts. A moment later, Hogg returned.

"Got some cured sausage, an' a few bits of smoked fish."

Artemis97
2016-10-13, 07:43 PM
"How much for those? and how much for some of this cheese? Also do you know the going price of bread around these parts?" Alyna asks next.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-14, 02:33 AM
"Ah, bread's cheap. No more'n a couple pennies, can buy that from anyone as makes it. That cheese there is a pound, so it's two silver pieces per. Sausages are five silver each, an' the fish is a bit more. I can give you wot I got for three gold crowns, an' you won't find a better price than that. It's good fish, it is."

Artemis97
2016-10-14, 10:18 PM
Alyna frowns. Damn meat was expensive. Not as bad as in the Underdark, but still more than she could afford.

"I'll take the cheese." She says quietly, counting out two silver coins from her purse and offering it to Mr. Hogg.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-15, 02:06 AM
"Suit yerself." The fat butcher shrugged, taking the two coins in one of his huge hands. "You know where to fin' me if'n you change yer mind."

Artemis97
2016-10-15, 02:10 AM
"I do." Alyna agrees. "I'll be back, for sure." She just, didn't have the money. Not that she was going to say that to Mr. Hogg. "Thank you."

Her transaction finished, she'll turn to leave, looking for a bakery to buy some bread at on the way back to the inn.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-15, 02:56 AM
There weren't many bakeries, as such, but Alyna managed to find a stall in one of the more open parts of the city without any trouble. The bread on offer was indeed very cheap, baked in small round loaves with a hard outer crust, and appeared very similar to bread she'd seen made by dwarves. It was, as Mr. Hogg had said, only two copper pennies for a loaf.

Artemis97
2016-10-15, 03:05 AM
Alyna will buy a loaf of bread, glad it was so cheap. She wished she had more to eat with it, but the cheese and the pickled mushrooms would make for a decent meal once she returned to her room at the inn. Once there, she'll enjoy her meal, saving a bit of bread and cheese for tomorrow, before taking her flute and going out into the common room to play.

Perform check [roll0]

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-17, 06:30 AM
Ildin was still there when she got back, though many of the clientele in the common room had changed. She was able to eat in peace in her room, and then take her flute to the common areas to play. The performance wasn't her greatest ever, but it was good enough, and the tips she collected from the bar patrons amounted to 14 silver total, albeit mostly in copper pennies. At the end of it, after she'd left what passed for a stage here, she was stopped by the drow proprietor.

"Not bad," Ildin said. "You're welcome to come back and play again whenever. Here's your five for today." He handed her the coins, but held up his hand to make sure she didn't leave before he finished talking. "Talked to my friend while you were out. He wants to meet you somewhere quiet. Tomorrow."

Artemis97
2016-10-17, 08:22 PM
"Thank you." Alyna said when she was passed the coins. "I expect you don't want us doing business in your establishment. I don't know the area very well. Can you suggest a place to meet?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-17, 10:02 PM
"This doesn't really qualify as quiet, even if I did want it here." Ildin gestured at the noisy common room, and walked back towards his desk. "You like gambling?" He asked, the sudden change of subject accompanied by a few hand signs. Alyna caught 'secret' and 'meeting.' "There's a place by the docks, the Catfish. I can't recommend their rooms, or their food, but they run the safest backroom gambling in the city. It's not legal, but the guards don't come down here much. Talk to the owner, tell him you came from me. He'll find you a good seat."

Artemis97
2016-10-17, 10:31 PM
"I'll do that. Thank you, Ildin." Alyna says, before making her way back to her room to sleep for the night.

The next morning, provided nothing exciting happens, she'll get up and eat some more bread and cheese for breakfast, before packing what was left away in her bag for lunch. If Ildin didn't trust the food at the Catfish, it was probably a good idea to eat something else. Packed and ready to go, Alyna will slip out of the inn and out onto the streets, heading for the docks and the Catfish.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-17, 11:05 PM
The docks were, by necessity, near the edge of the city, along the coastline. This was the one part of the city that didn't have much in the way of walls, counting on the harbour and the water to protect from invasion. The docks sprawled outwards, with the tie-off points for the big ships far out into the harbour. Wooden stairs led up to the mid-city trading ports, while lower down was all dockhands and fishmongers and massive blocks of warehouses owned by various shipping interests. Here and there barriers had been erected towards the lower city, a token effort to keep the marginalised out of the docks. Up top, guards patrolled and gates had locks. The city must have looked very strange, coming in, every level open to the side, like some sort of massive dollhouse.

The Catfish was some ways back from the actual water, where the boardwalk construction started, and tucked in under the lee of a pillar-tower. It had stairs up the side, with a sign that said 'rooms' in crooked letters, and much of the wood it was built from looked like it had been scavenged from shipwrecks. More likely, it had been scavenged from ships that were being repaired in drydock. Behind it, just visible over the top of a palisade, was a large building. The main door led into a smoky, poorly-lit room with a bar counter at one end and tables everywhere else. The chairs were mismatched, the clientele was rough-looking. Most of them gave her a glance and went back to their drinks. A few watched idly, curious what she might be doing here. Behind the bar, a man with an eyepatch was cleaning glasses.

Artemis97
2016-10-18, 01:52 AM
"Good morning." Alyna said, walking up to the man behind the bar. "I'm Alyna Xar'Cha." She pauses briefly, wondering if her family name would be recognized. "I wanted to speak to the owner, please."

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-18, 03:04 AM
The bartender shrugged, showing no reaction to the drow name. "What about?" He asked.

Artemis97
2016-10-18, 05:59 PM
"I was interested in a game. Ildin said I could get a seat if I asked." Alyna explains.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-19, 05:07 AM
"Oh, aye? Well, I'll call him out, then." Turning away, the bartender leaned over and shouted through a door near the back of the bar. "OI! Grignir!"

With much grumbling from the other side of the door, a very large half-orc stepped out into the bar.

"The lady says Ildin sent her along," the bartender offered. "Said you had a good seat for her."

The orc nodded, peering down at Alyna. When he spoke, it was with a surprisingly sophisticated-sounding accent. "That so? Well, happens he's right. Come along, then."

Leading the way out the back of the inn, he headed towards the smaller building out back. From the inside of the palisades, Alyna could see it much better, and it didn't look especially impressive. There was no second story, and only a small door. It looked more like a shed than any sort of hall that might have seats in it, but inside she suddenly understood why: it was a shed, and the gambling rooms were under it. Grignir heaved on a big ring set into the floor, revealing a set of stairs going down. From within, Alyna could hear the muted murmer of a dozen conversations.

Downstairs was a two-tier hall, with a dogfighting pit in the center and card tables arrayed around the edges. Off to the right were a set of private rooms, and it was to these that the half-orc was headed. He opened the door for her, ushering her inside. "Let yourself out when you're done," he said, the the door closed behind her. The room was quiet, filled with chairs and lit by a single torch. The front wall was glass, and raised above the pit so the fights were visible. Down around the pit a crowd was gathered, watching a pair of vicious-looking dogs tear into each other and shouting with excitement. The tables around the outside had similar crowds, tossing down coins and cards to the delight of the handful of spectators.

"Distasteful sport," someone said, and Alyna noticed the man sitting near the wall. He waved a hand at the window to indicate the goings on outside. "Give me dice any day, but at least it's quiet in here."

Artemis97
2016-10-19, 09:16 PM
Alyna nods her head in greeting to the man. "Bloodsport has its place, I think. It satisfies a need deep within us all. However, I would rather see men fighting, not animals. Those dogs don't deserve this." She frowns out the window, before looking back to the man. "So, you would be friends with Ildin, if I presume correctly, yes?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-19, 11:46 PM
"Lot harder to convince men to fight, I expect. Or at least more expensive." He turned slightly in his chair to look at her, and she saw that he was an older man, nicely dressed, though not to the level expected of nobility. "I'm a friend of Ildin's, yes. My name is Lothaire. Ildin being Ildin, he never mentioned yours. Good man, him. Very mindful of secrecy."

Artemis97
2016-10-20, 12:09 AM
"Since you've given your name, I'll give you mine: Alyna Xar'Cha." She introduces herself with a slight bow. "At your service."

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-20, 12:34 AM
"Well then, it's nice to meet you, Alyna Xar'cha. Please, have a seat." Once she had, he turned back towards the window, watching the goings on outside with apparent disinterest. "I'm told you have a number of useful skills."

Artemis97
2016-10-20, 12:52 AM
"I do." Alyna agrees. "What sort of skills do you have need of? What's the job?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-21, 01:56 AM
"That largely depends on you," Lothaire said, still looking straight ahead. "Things in the city are difficult right now, you may have noticed. Conflicts over the succession, land, favours... everybody wants something. Discretion is, right now, the skill I am most interested in."

Artemis97
2016-10-21, 02:32 AM
"I know how to keep my mouth shut." Alyna assures him. "Besides, I'm new to the city. I have no one to tell anything even if I wanted to. I have no stake in anything. Not yet, anyways."

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-23, 07:22 AM
"For the best, I suppose." Lothaire tapped the armrest of his chair, thinking. "Well then, I think I do have something you could do. How do you feel about ambushing a courier? I don't necessarily want them dead, but I am rather interested in the messages they might be carrying."

Artemis97
2016-10-23, 05:10 PM
Alyna watches the fight a bit, thinking. She nods. "I think I can do that. Who's the target? And what's the pay?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-24, 11:37 PM
"Not who so much as who they work for. There's a council meeting tonight, and I fully expect whoever is acting as courier to go out after that with some of the details. Some of it will be whatever was decided on at the meeting. What my lord is interested in knowing is whether anything extra gets put in. The courier will have blue livery. I will pay you two hundred crowns for the trouble, and one hundred extra if you can make it look like a common robbery."

Artemis97
2016-10-25, 04:50 PM
Alyna nods. "I can do that." Being robbed by a drow in the middle of the night, not too much of a stretch. Still... "I wonder, though, could we pay off the courier? Or do you think he'd be too loyal?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-25, 05:02 PM
"Loyal is somewhat less likely than unduly talkative. My lord thinks it better to disguise the trail as much as possible, given the situation. You yourself said that you have yet to form a stake in things, which makes paying you a far less dubious proposition than paying the courier."

Artemis97
2016-10-25, 05:30 PM
"I understand." Alyna answers. "I'll do the job, as you ask. So where are they meeting?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-25, 06:20 PM
"In the upper city, in the council chambers near the palace. You'll likely need papers to get up there, unless you can disguise yourself somehow. Even then, you may be asked. You'll have to be careful of guards."

Artemis97
2016-10-25, 07:31 PM
"I could forge something, but I'd need supplies and a look at something official. Disguising myself shouldn't be a problem. Could you forward me a bit of gold, say, 30 pieces, to get myself the supplies I need?" Alyna asks.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-26, 01:57 AM
"Well, a look at something official is easy. Forgery's tricky business, though. You think you're up to a really good one, or would it be more of a cursory glance sort of thing? If it's the second, I'd recommend trying to get your hands on an the real thing. Though, the list of professions available to drow isn't particularly large in the mid and upper city. Mostly... ah, what's the word you use for it? Ssindossa." Lothaire cleared his throat. "I can advance you fifty, but it comes out of the final payment."

Artemis97
2016-10-26, 02:20 AM
"I am confident I could make something that would stand up to inspection, if I got a look at a real one. Also, I could easily pass for an... entertainer, if need be." Alyna says. "And that's fine, I wasn't trying to ask for more money, I just need to get ahold of some supplies to make a proper forgery. Ink and paper. I suppose I'd need a nice dress, too, to pass up there. The fifty should cover that just fine."

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-26, 03:13 AM
"That's that, then." Lothaire reached into his coat, extracting a small purse and a piece of parchment from an inner pocket. "For fine clothing, I'd try Mrs. Brodeur, in the upper part of midcity. For an example of the item in question, this would be close enough." He passed Alyna the coins, and held up the papers for her to inspect. "Now, I should be getting back, so if you have no other questions..."

Artemis97
2016-10-26, 03:18 AM
"No, that will be all. Thank you." Alyna says accepting the coins, and after looking over the documents thoroughly, handing them back. "No, wait... how should I contact you when the job is finished? Should I just return here?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-26, 03:29 AM
Lothaire paused at the door, turning slightly to look over his shoulder. "No, that won't be necessary. You're staying with Ildin, yes? I'll stop by. He can hardly object to my buying a drink in his establishment, and if a little money happens to change hands under the table, well..." he shrugged. "I hardly expect anyone to notice. No business to discuss, no chance of being overheard."

Artemis97
2016-10-26, 03:57 AM
"I should be there in the evening. I'll be playing some songs. Stay and listen a while if you like."

Once Lothaire leaves, Alyna will wait through the next dog fight before leaving, going back up the ladder and through the Catfish. From there she'll go back out into the city to look for supplies to put together a forgery kit.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-28, 07:19 AM
Alyna had no trouble piecing together some forgery supplies, once she spread some of Lothaire's money around. Ink here, paper there, set of old pens salvaged from somewhere or other... Locking herself in her room and drawing up some papers too time, but she'd started early. Documents in hand, she headed for the mid city. The guard at the gate glanced at her papers and waved her through without comment. Good sign that her forged papers stood up to casual inspection, at the least.

Artemis97
2016-10-28, 03:55 PM
Once in the mid city, Alyna thought it best to seek out Mrs. Brodeur, for the dress she needed. It might take some time to fit, and she didn't want to take all day at it.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-29, 07:22 AM
Armed with Lothaire's description of the location, and a few passerby asked for directions, Alyna located the shop. It was reasonably sized, situated at the top of a flight of stairs near one of the upper city entrances, and attached to a house. The shop had a small window display of various patterned bolts of cloth. Inside was Mrs. Brodeur, humming softly and pinning bits of cloth over a mannequin. She looked over her shoulder when the door opened, and did a quick double take before turning around. "Er, hello. How may I help you?"

Artemis97
2016-10-29, 06:08 PM
Alyna smirked, supposing the appearance of an armored drowess in the dressmaker's shop was shocking.

"I need a dress for tonight." She said. "I was told you could help me."

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-30, 09:59 AM
"A dress?" The seamstress looked, Alyna thought, somewhat relieved. "Yes, I can certainly do that."

Up close, Mrs. Brodeur was a short, somewhat plump woman, in clothing that was simple but well made. She had a broad, honest sort of face, and was not the sort of person to whom one told secrets. She came up to Alyna, looking at her current outfit and tutting. "What sort of dress were you thinking of? I have a few I could adjust for you. Not something in blue, I'd think... perhaps a nice green? Or orange, if you're looking for bold. Not a lot of choice with what there is on hand, unfortunately, but if you want it today there's hardly time for proper custom work.""

Artemis97
2016-10-30, 03:08 PM
"What is wrong with blue?" Alyna asks. She had always worn blue and gold at home. "But if not, green will do." She simply needed something quick. She could return for something properly made later. "Can you make it so I can wear my chainmail beneath?" Mithral shouldn't be too much trouble to fit under some clothes.

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-30, 06:05 PM
"Oh, well, with your skin tone I thought it might be a bit overpowering? Too much blue, dearie." She pulled a tape measure from her pocket and began taking measurements, muttering numbers to herself. "The chainmail you're wearing now? I can fit it into my measurements. It will look a little strange, of course. Lots of adjustments around the torso."

Artemis97
2016-10-30, 09:29 PM
"Yes, this chainmail." Alyna confirms. "So long as it doesn't look too strange. I really don't want anyone to know I'm wearing it, as you might guess."

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-31, 07:48 AM
"Oh, yes. No, it shouldn't be a problem, you'll just look a little bigger than you actually are." her measurements continued, now including the chainmail. "Is there anything else you'd like?"

Artemis97
2016-10-31, 05:33 PM
"Not to purchase, I don't think." Alyna admits, "but do you know of any art dealers in the area? Particularly those who deal in relics?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-10-31, 11:27 PM
"Hmm, art's not something I know a lot about. There are dealers in the upper city, but I've never spoken to them. You'd be better off asking the dwarves." Mrs. Brodeur folded up the measuring tape and put it down on the counter, making a few notes on a scrap pad. "I've got all I need, I'll have the green one adjusted for you by tonight."

Artemis97
2016-11-01, 05:13 PM
"Thank you." Alyna will ask how much she will owe before bidding Mrs. Brodeur goodbye and setting out to explore the mid city.

Destro_Yersul
2016-11-04, 12:07 AM
The immediately noticeable thing about the midcity was that things seemed a good deal more planned, in terms of the buildings. There was little in the way of ramshackle huts or repurposed construction here. The houses were seperated, generally less communal, and the butcher shop she passed had a lot more stock in the windows, most of which was recognisable as commonly raised food animals. The prices were higher, though, judging by the tags on things. Doing a brief circuit of things, she discovered an assortment of market districts, the magic area responsible for leaking down below, Temple street, Gold street with its Dwarf banking clans, and, tucked off behind the respectable areas, many narrow streets with shuttered windows and red lanterns above the doors.

Artemis97
2016-11-04, 12:11 AM
Alyna decides to head down Gold Street, in search of someone who could direct her to an art dealer.

Destro_Yersul
2016-11-04, 06:24 PM
Gold Street was filled, more than anything else, with Dwarves. Dwarf architecture was the prevailing style, the many banks done in the squat, blocky fashion favoured by the diminutive race. Alyna spotted many different clan signs above the bank entries, which told her that here, as in most places, the banks were organised according to family clan units. Most of the ones represented in the mid city were well known clans, which was also not surprising. Merchants bustled through the area, some seeking loans, others looking to trade. A large signboard had been posted off to one side of the street, and a crowd gathered around it. From the back, it was hard to tell what it said. Up the street, a large human man in a red travelling cloak had just exited the Bardi bank, and was making his way back towards her. He looked like nobility, with all the gold jewelry he was wearing and the richness of his clothes, but the long sword he carried at his side spoke of military prowess as well. Everywhere dwarves were huddled in groups, speaking quietly and often glancing up to see if anyone was watching them.

Artemis97
2016-11-04, 07:25 PM
Alyna thought the rich looking man in the red cloak would be a wonderful target to pickpocket. She angles herself towards him and makes to 'accidentally' bump into the man.

Sleight of Hand [roll0]

Destro_Yersul
2016-11-06, 09:31 AM
Accidentally bumping into the man turned out to be a bit like walking into a brick wall. He felt like, under the poofy clothing that was the fashion of the time, he might well be solid muscle. He also, unfortunately, turned out to not be carrying a purse in any of the usual likely spots. What was worse, he seemed to have noticed Alyna's attempt. "Ho, what's this?" He said, looking down at her.

Artemis97
2016-11-06, 05:20 PM
"Hey, watch where you're going." Alyna replied, seemingly offended. "You bumped into me."

Destro_Yersul
2016-11-08, 06:52 PM
That seemed to be not quite what the large man had been expecting. He narrowed his eyes and patted his clothes down, making sure everything was still where it was supposed to be. "I'd have said you bumped into me. But no harm, aye?"

Looked like her response had thrown off the chance of potential hostilities, at least.

Artemis97
2016-11-08, 08:20 PM
"No harm, no foul." Alyna agrees. "Good day." She bids him, trying to step around to get to the notice board. Internally, she breathes a sigh of relief. That had been close.

Destro_Yersul
2016-11-14, 05:12 AM
The big man stood for a moment, watching Alyna, then turned and vanished into the crowd. Moving closer to the notice board, she saw that it was mostly covered by a listing of the day's exchange rates on foreign coin, as well as a number of market flyers advertising goods for trade. Alongside these were a smaller number of notices neatly stamped in Dwarf runes, none of which she could read, and one or two royal edicts reminding newcomers of the city's rules of trade and residence.

Artemis97
2016-11-14, 06:35 PM
Alyna paid closer attention to the edicts for newcomers, wondering if there was anything that applied to her, specifically.

Destro_Yersul
2016-11-16, 03:36 AM
There didn't seem to be anything up here targetted at Drow specifically. There were rather a lot of rules for Dwarves who wanted to buy property, and a list of proscribed trade goods.

Artemis97
2016-11-16, 04:14 PM
Alyna turned to the nearest dwarf to ask what the flyers with the dwarven runes meant.

Destro_Yersul
2016-11-17, 06:43 PM
The nearest dwarf turned out to be a relatively young one, with a neatly clipped beard and mustache. "Hm?" He said, upon being addressed, turning to see who it was. Upon discovering that Alyna was a drow, he raised both eyebrows. "Oh, that. Clan business. It's printed in Dwarven so the Ladri can't read it."

Artemis97
2016-11-17, 06:56 PM
"Ladri?"Alyna echoes. "Let me guess, non-dwarves?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-11-17, 08:52 PM
The dwarf shrugged. "Close enough."

Artemis97
2016-11-17, 08:57 PM
"Right." Alyna suspected the word might be ruder, or possibly more nuanced than the dwarf was letting on, but she couldn't tell which.

"Hey, you wouldn't happen to know of anyone who buys art objects, would you? Like say, something from the old city?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-11-20, 07:59 PM
"Not anyone who buys them, no. But I think I know somebody who could sell it for you, if you're interested."

Artemis97
2016-11-20, 11:02 PM
"That'll do, so long as they don't take too much of a cut." Alyna says. "Lead the way. I'm Alyna, by the way." She introduces herself, offering a handshake to the dwarf.

Destro_Yersul
2016-11-22, 05:45 PM
"Guccio." The dwarf shook her hand and started walking, down towards the end of the street. They passed by many of the larger banks, those owned and operated by the biggest dwarf clans. The buildings got smaller and less ornamented as they went, until they reached a section of the street populated by very modest premises. These were the banks owned by the lesser clans, those with money enough to run business but not on the same level as the great clans. Guccio walked up to one and pushed the door open, calling inside.

"Uncle Alessandro! Si tratta di un cliente!"

Inside the bank was a counter with a set of scales, expensive rugs, light fixtures holding blue flames... it was built all of stone, in the dwarven style, but it looked like a place that had some money invested in it, despite its modest stature. Still, Alyna had no doubt that the larger banks would have been fancier, likely with marble countertops and even more costly rugs. Behind the counter was an older dwarf, currently engaged in weighing an assortment of precious stones with his scales. His left eye was closed, and he had long black hair and a large mustache.

"I can hear you just fine, Guccio, no need to shout," he said to his nephew as Alyna walked in. If he, like Guccio, was surprised to see a drow, he didn't show it. "And how may I help you today, my lady?"

Artemis97
2016-11-22, 06:52 PM
"I discovered a small piece of art in the lower city. It's quite old, I believe. I was hoping to sell it. Your nephew said you might be able to help me." Alyna explains. She digs in her bag for a moment, pulling out the little idol and setting it on the counter.

Destro_Yersul
2016-11-24, 05:08 AM
"Ah, here, here, let me see it." Alessandro picked up the little idol, taking a magnifying glass from his pocket and inspecting it from multiple angles. "Yes, this, I can sell. It is not in the vogue, but to a proper collector I think I will get a good price. The lower city, you say? Do you know who made it?"

Artemis97
2016-11-24, 01:45 PM
Alyna shakes her head. "I don't, no. It was found by the wall. I was told it might be an idol of Xa'niya. What do you think it could fetch?"

Destro_Yersul
2016-11-25, 04:33 AM
"Hmm. I think it is not worth too much. It is simple stone, no adornments. It would be sold as a curio. I could sell it, I think, for no more than ten crowns, and that's if I can find a collector. More likely, it will go for something like seven. If I can sell it, I will take twenty percent as my commission. Is this agreeable?"

Artemis97
2016-11-30, 10:30 PM
Alyna thinks for a moment, doing some mental math. She then nods. "That seems fair." It was a little more than she had expected to make on it. The drowess extends a hand to shake with the dwarf, knowing it was an important symbol in a transaction.

Destro_Yersul
2016-12-01, 05:11 AM
"Very good. Leave it here, thank you." After the handshake, the dwarf put the little statue into a case, where nobody would be able to steal it. "Is there anything else I can help you wiht?"

Artemis97
2016-12-03, 03:16 PM
"You wouldn't happen to know a good place for a bard to set up for an afternoon? I play the flute and I was looking to make a little extra cash." Alyna explains.

Destro_Yersul
2016-12-05, 06:01 AM
"Oh, just around." The dwarf waved a hand noncommittaly. "Lots of good places around here, lots of people who appreciate a little music. Though, perhaps you'd have the best luck in the markets."

Artemis97
2016-12-05, 06:37 PM
Alyna nods. "I was thinking the same. Alright. I'll check back in, in a few days. Good day." She bids the dwarves before leaving and heading to the nearest market.

Destro_Yersul
2017-01-01, 10:51 AM
The nearest market was down near the end of gold street, and was as a result mostly full of dwarves. Unlike the street market she'd been in yesterday, with its rainbow of brightly coloured stalls, and the undercity with its ramshackle construction, the stalls and buildings here were solidly built, and mostly featured red, green and white in their colour schemes. A disproportionate number of them seemed to be focused on food, whether it was vendors with fresh goods from nearby farms, stalls filled with dried herbs, jars of preserves - thankfully not exclusively mushrooms - or fish. Rather a lot of fish. One enterprising dwarf had built a large stone oven to one side of the market, and was using it to bake flatbread of some sort. A number of other, non-food related things were scattered about, and some stalls were empty, probably meant to be rented out to travelling merchants.

Artemis97
2017-01-04, 07:06 PM
Alyna decides to set herself up in one of the empty stalls, stashing her bag in a corner and sitting up on a stone counter. Like before, she places her hat upside down beside herself and pulls out her flute, begining to play.

Destro_Yersul
2017-02-03, 04:38 AM
A few stopped to watch and listen, and though none seemed especially willing to part with their spare coins, a few silver pieces found their way into Alyna's hat. As she played, she was able to watch the goings-on in the market, the people who came and went. She saw a lot of human nobility, descending this far to go to the banks, and many more dwarves. Here and there would be a high elf, but they held themselves largely aloof. The most noticeable thing, having come up from the undercity, was the general quality of the goods on offer. Things here seemed better, in general, and many looked to have been imported. It made sense, given the city's location.

After she had been playing for a while, the dwarf with the oven came over for a moment to offer her one of the flatbreads. It was baked from wheat flour dough, looked like, and topped with dried tomato, herbs, and a sprinkling of cheese. "First one's free," the dwarf said with a knowing smile.

Artemis97
2017-02-07, 04:38 PM
Alyna grins back at the dwarf. "So good I'll have to come back for more, hm?" She laughs a bit, before saying "Thank you." more seriously. She had brought some food for herself, but the bread was getting stale, and she wasn't about to turn down something fresh, especially if it's free. The drowess takes a small bite and her face lights up. "Delicious!" She declares.

Destro_Yersul
2017-02-22, 06:03 AM
"That's the idea, aye." The dwarf said. "Only the best for my customers. What's your name, by the way? I'm Antonio."

Artemis97
2017-02-22, 08:09 PM
"My name is Alyna." She introduces herself between bites. "Alyna Xar'Cha." The drowess extends a hand. "It's nice to meet you, Antonio."

Destro_Yersul
2017-03-05, 07:13 AM
"Likewise. I must say, I've not seen many like you before. Did you only recently come here?"

Artemis97
2017-03-07, 05:34 PM
Alyna nods. "Yes, I've only been here a day or two. Do drow really not come up this way often? I know there are travel restrictions, but I found it easy enough to come to the middle city. Of course, I have a legitimate reason to be here, as an entertainer. I imagine it's harder for my kind to get travel documents." She shrugs and then grins at the dwarf. "I be you've been here a long time, though."

Destro_Yersul
2017-03-12, 06:17 AM
"Middle city's relatively easy, I'd say, 'specially if you've a trade of some sort. Try getting to the upper levels, though, and you might have a harder time of it. It's hard enough for dwarves." He pointed upwards, towards the part of the city where the high elves lived. "Down here, though, it's fine. I've been around long enough to know who to avoid anyways. Couple of years, I'd say. Moved out from the mountains not long ago."

Artemis97
2017-03-15, 04:43 PM
"Who to avoid?" Alyna echoes. "Anything I should know?" Why he left the mountains may have been a politer question, but information about the city was more pressing, in the drowess' eyes.

Destro_Yersul
2017-06-19, 07:49 PM
"Mostly the nobility. Except for Count von Bloch, they'll not give us the time of day, no matter how much money they've borrowed from the banking clans. The Count's alright, he comes down here fairly often. Once you've been in the city for long enough, you'll recognise him on sight. Damn huge, even for a human."

Artemis97
2017-06-19, 08:01 PM
"I think I may have run into him earlier today, quite literally." She'd even tried to pick his pocket, but Alyna wasn't about to tell Antonio that. "Don't the nobility like you dwarves? You bring enough gold and trade with you into the city. What brought you to the city, by the way?"

Destro_Yersul
2017-06-22, 10:31 PM
"Well, you'd think they would, but no. They borrow our gold, they tax our commerce, but that doesn't mean they have to like us. It's not that it's bad here, it's just..." he shrugged. "In the mountains, for the clans, family is everything. Everyone out here is so much more concerned with the individual, with themselves. All the scheming and backstabbing, within families even, it doesn't make sense to me. I came here to improve my trade, learn a little more about the world beyond my home. I'm trying to earn enough to upgrade my business, move beyond one stall in one market, you know?"

Artemis97
2017-06-22, 11:17 PM
"Hmm... sounds like home to me. Plenty of scheming and backstabbing in my family. Part of the reason I left. Thought I could make my fortune without them. So far, I'm doing alright. And thanks to your kindness, I won't starve today." Alyna grins, showing she's joking. Mostly. "I do wish you luck, and if you ever need a musician, look me up. I play most nights at an inn in the undercity, but I spend my days up here, if I can. Better opportunity for tips." She wouldn't be hard to find. There couldn't be that many drow flutists in the city.

Destro_Yersul
2017-06-24, 07:13 AM
"Well, I can't say I'm especially likely to need one in the near future, but if I do I'll remember you. For now, though, I should get back to my customers." He looked over his shoulder, where one or two people were waiting near his stall, and quickly bustled off, shouting that he'd be with them in a moment.

Once again, Alyna was free for the moment, though there was that matter of the courier that she'd have to go deal with later.

Artemis97
2017-06-24, 07:28 PM
Alyna will play for a little while longer, before collecting her tips for the afternoon. She'll grab her things and head back to the dress shop before it gets too late in the day. Hopefully her dress would be finished by now.

Destro_Yersul
2017-06-29, 11:04 PM
Alyna found Mrs. Brodeur in her shop, pincushion in hand, removing a number of pins from the green dress she's picked out earlier.

"Right on time, dearie," the woman said, sticking a pin into the cushion. "I've just finished up your adjustments. Would you like to try it on? Come over here, by the mirrors."

Artemis97
2017-06-29, 11:32 PM
Alyna sets her things down by the door and steps over to the mirrors. Still with her chainmail on, she'll try on the dress and see how well it looked. Mostly, she wanted to make sure it covered the chainmail.

Destro_Yersul
2017-07-13, 05:00 AM
The dressmaker flitted about Alynna, checking to make sure everything fit right. The dress looked good - perhaps a little larger than usual, but then, it was concealing her armour. It might not stand up to heavy scrutiny, but at a passing glance nobody would even know the chainmail was there.

"That looks alright. What do you think?"

Artemis97
2017-07-15, 05:57 PM
"It will do nicely, I think." It wasn't exactly spider silk like she could get in the Underdark, but it was nice enough. Also, it concealed her chainmail, which was the ultimate goal, though it made her look a bit bigger than she would have liked. Almost human proportions instead of a lithe elven figure. That made Alyna frown for a moment as she turned, looking in the mirror. Ah well, nothing to do about it now. "I'll take it." She decides.

She'll hash out the price with Mrs. Brodeur, possibly trying to haggle a bit, before leaving and heading for the upper city.

Destro_Yersul
2017-07-31, 02:49 AM
Alyna managed to get the price down a little, saying she'd mention the shop to her friends and if anyone asked and so on, resulting in the dressmaker knocking a couple gold coins off the final price. After paying her the twenty-three remaining, the drow left the shop.

As she approached the streets leading to the upper city, she noticed an increased guard presence. The higher up you went, it seemed, the more of them there were. The dress might have made her proportions more human, but it wouldn't do anything for the colour of her skin. Before she could go to the upper city, she'd have to get past the gate.

Artemis97
2017-07-31, 07:53 PM
Alyna moved through the streets with confidence, certain her new facade would protect her from most scrutiny. As she approached the gate, she readied her papers for inspection, expecting to be questioned most thoroughly.

Destro_Yersul
2017-08-10, 01:20 AM
Alyna was not to be disappointed. The guard at the gates took her papers, looked at them, back at her, and then started asking questions. What was she going to upper city for? Did she have business there? Family? Some other reason for travelling? A few others passed by while she was being questioned, and she got the impression that part of the reason they were being so thorough was that she was Drow. Most of those who were going up top were human, at least as far as she could see, and none of them recieved anywhere near as much scrutiny.

Artemis97
2017-08-10, 10:59 PM
Alyna replies that she has business in the upper city, to play the flute. "I can give you a preview of the show if you like." She offers, but doesn't yet reach for her flute in her bag. No need to make the guards nervous. Hopefuly a quick song would cement her identity.

Destro_Yersul
2017-08-15, 03:22 AM
"Oh, entertainer." The guard sighed, as if that explained everything. "And me on duty and everything. Suppose you'd best get going, then. I wouldn't want to be the one to answer to them as hired you."

He was of course, correct, though perhaps not in the manner he thought he was.

Artemis97
2017-08-18, 12:23 AM
"No, you would not," Alyna agrees, stepping past the gate and into the upper city. From there she'll search out where the council chambers were.