PDA

View Full Version : Dice games

Mattzewild
2016-09-19, 05:49 AM
I tried searching for other threads but i could just be being useless.

One of my players has decided to rp a rogue who amongst other things, often gambles with dice.

Now, ive been rping this as liars dice and i have found and bought a cheap set to use so we can actually play like a mini game.

I was wondering if anyone has done similar and can say how they ran this. Im thinking of incorporating deception and insight into the rolls as i may want an npc who is better at lying than i am irl.

Any ideas?

Coffee_Dragon
2016-09-19, 07:23 AM
If by liar's dice you mean the game where each player has a set of dice and makes statements about the number of dice among all sets (also sold as Perudo), it should be easy to implement a handicap system. Say for instance you reckon the rogue is up against an opponent they'd be hard pressed to beat, you can start the rogue at 5 dice, yourself at 6 or 7, and play until someone drops to 3. Details can be varied based on the variant you're playing, the skill levels involved, and the importance of the outcome. (I like the variant where you lose a variable amount of dice depending on the accuracy of the challenged statement.) You could even make opposed skill rolls first then base the number of starting dice on that, giving yourself bonus dice if you think it's needed to level the real-world field.

If you mean the game where a single cup with dice is passed around, it should be possible to start yourself out with more "lives" as well depending on the specific rules used.

I would only actually play this out "for real" when something bigger than mere money is at stake, or your other players might think a disproportionate amount of time and attention is spent on this one skill (unless they're into it too, of course).