PDA

View Full Version : Savage species creation help

terramex
2016-09-19, 06:19 AM
Hi guys,

I am in need of a savage species creation for a 3.5 game with some friends and I am a bit out of my depth as I am new and used to 5th. My DM who is also a bit new has written an adventure that requires me to be essentially a feral tiefling, claws bite etc that will probably be the kind of thing that others will keep on a leash and wont really use much gear or spell like abilities etc.

Likely be a barbarian into black blood cultist or thayan gladiator. I wont be playing with playing with people who power game and have over powered characters. The DM said she needs me to fill the role with this natural weapon demon monstrosity and it sounds quite fun and I would like to keep open the possibility of keeping on playing with it if it works out. So I am asking for some of your suggestions since there is so much controversy regarding the feral template (and I also want to add a bite).

*edit I need to keep it to +1LA

Thanks in advance!

Grand Arbiter
2016-09-19, 08:24 AM
I will see if I can make something this afternoon once my classes are done.

Edit: Just to be sure before I go from the planning to the making stage; You're looking for some type of hybridization of a tiefling and the feral template, correct?

terramex
2016-09-20, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the reply, sorry I came on late as I got stuck on an 18 hour shift :(

The stats don't necessarily have to be very tiefling related, she has just written a story that says its a feral tiefling/something from the pit etc. Just a ferocious demon spawn that would climb in the window and carry your children off to eat sort of thing. So you can probably drop the spell like ability and charisma in favor of some beastly attributes like armor or something since it wont really use any equipment.

Grand Arbiter
2016-09-20, 11:10 AM
I'll see what I can do.

You may want to look into magic Items for enhancing natural attacks, though. Otherwise DR/magic and its more potent pals could make you ineffective quickly.

terramex
2016-09-21, 08:39 AM
That is what I thought thayan gladiator might help with. I did come to the conclusion that I might have to add some items in though.

Grand Arbiter
2016-09-21, 02:38 PM
So, this is what I've come up with:
•+2 Strength,+2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
•Medium Size.
•30ft Base land speed
•Outsider (Native)
•60ft Darkvision
•2 claw attacks, 1d6 damage and a bite attack for 1d8 damage. All primary natural weapons.
•+2 natural armor.
•Resistance to cold 5 and fire 5
•Automatic Languages: Common, Abyssal. Bonus Languages: Infernal, Draconic, Orc, Goblin, Giant
•Favored Class: Barbarian
•LA: +1Shouldn't be too powerful. After checking with your DM, you may want to visit this subforum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?59-D-amp-D-3e-3-5e-d20) of roleplaying games for build advice.

Something else I may be able to do is a homebrew 1-20 level progression, which would combine race and class together and have no level adjustment. I could throw in rage, upgrades to natural weapons, and some defensive perks like natural armor and damage reduction.

terramex
2016-09-22, 05:06 PM
Thats great man, thanks heaps :) I will probably just keep it to the race at the moment for simplicity and the game is starting this weekend. I was curious about its effectiveness later and what combo of barb/bbc or thayan gladiator I should take to stay relevant.

Grand Arbiter
2016-09-22, 09:51 PM
Unfortunately I don't think I can help much with feats/class/prestige class/etc. choices.

If you make a thread in the 3.0/3.5 subform of Roleplaying Games (I linked to it in my previous post), you should get some useful feedback/comments.

A copy of the racial statistics in the opening post may be a good idea so other people can see what you have to work with.

Good luck.