PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Am I getting too cute with my Fighter (Battle Master) / Bard (Valor) multiclass?

Pizza Slam
2016-09-19, 11:55 AM
Hi all!

I currently play an Archery-focused Fighter Level 3 (with enough XP to go into Level 4 and need to level up before our next session in a week or two) and would like a quick critique on my plans for the character.

My thoughts on multi-classing Fighter (Battle Master) and Bard (Valor):
* Both classes benefit from high DEX and CHA
* My party is quite large (I am one of 7 PCs). We have plenty of damage dealers without me being the most efficient. Additionally, I am the most experienced player of the group, and letting the newbies shine by buffing them and granting them extra actions is fun.
* I have the Inspirational Leader feat, allowing me to bring Temp HP for nearly the whole party into most combats.
* I have the Rally technique, giving more Temp HP once the originals fall off.
* With Bard, I could grant additional HP during rests, and Bard d6 rolls can help allies in nearly any situation they choose.
* Bard spells are quite flavorful, allowing me to buff and help some more, frighten foes, and more.
* It all fits really well with my Inspirational Leader character roleplaying.

I haven't played DnD 5e before (plenty of 3.5 over the years)... is it smarter to stay in Fighter than to make these changes? Fighter only gets ability score improvements for a while after Level 3 (except for an extra attack, which is nice). Bard comes with plenty of class features.

If this makes sense, it would be optimal to make the change now, at ECL 4, correct? If I wait too long, a lot of my Bard spells will be under-powered for a long time.

What do you all think?

Xetheral
2016-09-19, 12:15 PM
Hi all!

I currently play an Archery-focused Fighter Level 3 (with enough XP to go into Level 4 and need to level up before our next session in a week or two) and would like a quick critique on my plans for the character.

My thoughts on multi-classing Fighter (Battle Master) and Bard (Valor):
* Both classes benefit from high DEX and CHA
* My party is quite large (I am one of 7 PCs). We have plenty of damage dealers without me being the most efficient. Additionally, I am the most experienced player of the group, and letting the newbies shine by buffing them and granting them extra actions is fun.
* I have the Inspirational Leader feat, allowing me to bring Temp HP for nearly the whole party into most combats.
* I have the Rally technique, giving more Temp HP once the originals fall off.
* With Bard, I could grant additional HP during rests, and Bard d6 rolls can help allies in nearly any situation they choose.
* Bard spells are quite flavorful, allowing me to buff and help some more, frighten foes, and more.
* It all fits really well with my Inspirational Leader character roleplaying.

I haven't played DnD 5e before (plenty of 3.5 over the years)... is it smarter to stay in Fighter than to make these changes? Fighter only gets ability score improvements for a while after Level 3 (except for an extra attack, which is nice). Bard comes with plenty of class features.

If this makes sense, it would be optimal to make the change now, at ECL 4, correct? If I wait too long, a lot of my Bard spells will be under-powered for a long time.

What do you all think?

Battlemaster 3/Valor X is fine as long as you're ok with not getting Extra Attack until 9, and not getting your first ASI until 7. If those are too late for you, consider instead going Battlemaster 5 (or 6)/Lore X. Then you'll avoid doubling up extra attack, and get all the great lore bard features instead. (Note that, depending on how your DM approaches multiclassing, it may be fine to switch back and forth, letting you take your first level in Bard now to round out the concept if you want, then another couple levels in Fighter, then back to Bard.)

Ghost Nappa
2016-09-19, 12:16 PM
If you don't switch to Bard now, you will lose the ability to get Level 9 Spells (assuming your game gets to Level 20).

On the other hand, if you switch now, you won't be getting an ASI/Feat opportunity until Level 7 (assuming you stay Bard), and you'll be short one overall. The Valor Bonus Proficiencies are wasted on you, and I don't think Cutting Words and Combat Inspiration are different enough to justify Valor over Lore. Extra Attack is easier earned by you through two levels of fighter than six levels of Bard, and I don't know if you'll get far enough for Battle Magic to matter.

Unless you want to get switch to bard for the rest of the game and get Extra Attack, I'd say either go Lore Bard or stick to Battlemaster. There are plenty of support options available to Fighters and you can always get creative with Magic Initiate and other feats.

tl;dr Straight Battlemaster or Lore Bard are better options for what you want to accomplish.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-19, 12:24 PM
tl;dr Straight Battlemaster or Lore Bard are better options for what you want to accomplish.

In other words...

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/41014938.jpg

Specter
2016-09-19, 12:31 PM
It's a fine multiclass; most problems have already been outlined, so if you can take them, do it.

About the ASI's, don't worry too much; you get your first one at level 7, but you can take Fighter 4 whenever you feel you need one.

But it all comes down to what you want out of it: a Bard, even Valor, is played differently from a Fighter. By taking 3 Bard levels and the rest in Fighter, you can be a much better combatant, and use your bonus actions for varied support (Rally/Inspiration). By taking 3 Fighter levels and the rest in Bard, you will be primarily a supporter, casting spells to help everyone and only attacking after your concentration is busy or damage is really needed. Personally, I'd go Battlemaster 17/Valor 3.