PDA

View Full Version : Awakened Mind, how would you rule it?

CursedRhubarb
2016-09-19, 01:51 PM
Not sure if this had been mentioned in any previous threads but I've been curious and wanted to see what people's thoughts were on a few things that at first glance look like they synergize very well with the GOO lock Awakened Mind ability.

Since AM let's you communicate telepathically with any creature you can see within 30' and they will understand you so long as they understand at least one language, even if you don't speak it yourself, the following spells look interesting.

Dissonant Whispers
Enthrall
Suggestion
Mass Suggestion

I plan on asking my DM how he would rule as well.

Since these all require the target(s) to hear you would AM let you still target them if they were under an effect or condition like deafened or silence?
The spells other than DW require the target to understand you, so would AM let you effect creatures that don't share a language?

Please share your thoughts and reasons as well as any spells I missed. I only took a quick look at the GOO list to find a few examples and there may be more and multiclassing opens more spell access.

Ruslan
2016-09-19, 02:03 PM
Interesting. Just because it's so cool, I would rule that, yes, Awakened Mind lets you bypass the limitation of "must be able to hear you" and replaces the limitation of "must share a language" with "target knows at least one language". All other limitations, however, would apply.

When you cast a spell with a Verbal component, it will still have a verbal component [Teh Magickal Wordz of Powah!!], even if the contents of the suggestion are delivered via Awakened Mind.

Edit: I also see that you asked about multi-target spells such as Mass Suggestion. Well, for those I'd have to rule NO. Since Awakened Mind is meant to only converse with one creature at a time, I would rule it's no help for multi-target spells.

Segev
2016-09-19, 02:04 PM
By the RAW, the inability to hear you/understand your spoken words would protect them from any language-dependent ability. I.e. any ability that says they have to hear and understand your words. Because Awakened Mind doesn't let them HEAR you.

I'd let it work, anyway, though, because it's conceptually sound wrt the themes of the ability and the class which grants it.

CursedRhubarb
2016-09-19, 02:27 PM
Cool, sounds like odds are good my DM may agree with it.
It would only be effective up to 30' away so despite widening what you can effect, your range would be half or less for most of the spells. And yeah, you'd still need to speak out loud for any verbal components so no go if you can't speak.

On a side note, makes possible a creepy dungeon of a prison/mine where a GOO cult imprisons those they find abrasive. Whole place under the effects of a silence spell except for protected raised walkways the cultist guards use...would be one heck of a jailbreak quest.

Plaguescarred
2016-09-19, 03:00 PM
Not sure if this had been mentioned in any previous threads but I've been curious and wanted to see what people's thoughts were on a few things that at first glance look like they synergize very well with the GOO lock Awakened Mind ability.

Since AM let's you communicate telepathically with any creature you can see within 30' and they will understand you so long as they understand at least one language, even if you don't speak it yourself, the following spells look interesting.

Dissonant Whispers
Enthrall
Suggestion
Mass Suggestion

I plan on asking my DM how he would rule as well.

Since these all require the target(s) to hear you would AM let you still target them if they were under an effect or condition like deafened or silence?
The spells other than DW require the target to understand you, so would AM let you effect creatures that don't share a language?

Please share your thoughts and reasons as well as any spells I missed. I only took a quick look at the GOO list to find a few examples and there may be more and multiclassing opens more spell access.I think by strict RAW if the target can't hear you they won't be eligible target for the spells mentioned, wether they're deafened or silence spell, nor would Awakened Mind help asit doesn't make them hear your verbatims, even though they can now understand your telepathic utterances. But as a DM i would probably let you transmit your spell effects telepathically, bypassing the verbal vs hear normal requirements.

Socratov
2016-09-20, 06:23 AM
If you allow this, the lvl 1 warlock dip (or lvl 2 of you want the great ranged attack) becomes a great idea for bards.

consider a warlock (GOO) 1/Sorcerer 3/Lore Bard 16. Get subtle spell, awakened mind and go to town. This could be anything from frightening to walking horror very fast.

Awesome Idea.

Segev
2016-09-20, 08:47 AM
If you allow this, the lvl 1 warlock dip (or lvl 2 of you want the great ranged attack) becomes a great idea for bards.

consider a warlock (GOO) 1/Sorcerer 3/Lore Bard 16. Get subtle spell, awakened mind and go to town. This could be anything from frightening to walking horror very fast.

Awesome Idea.

Especially spooky because it means you hear the music in your head.

CursedRhubarb
2016-09-20, 10:56 AM

Awesome Idea.

See if you can get vocal as a bard instrument and then sing terribly, and off key, The Song That Never Ends...in their minds.

Or use Justin Bieber's "Baby".

Socratov
2016-09-20, 01:31 PM
See if you can get vocal as a bard instrument and then sing terribly, and off key, The Song That Never Ends...in their minds.

Or use Justin Bieber's "Baby".

well, I did once tortue a prisoner using the message cantrip doing my zelde fairy impression. The DM checked my alignment right then and there

CursedRhubarb
2016-09-20, 02:27 PM
well, I did once tortue a prisoner using the message cantrip doing my zelde fairy impression. The DM checked my alignment right then and there

That is brilliant and I'm upset I never thought of it. XD

Socratov
2016-09-20, 02:34 PM
That is brilliant and I'm upset I never thought of it. XD

If you want, you can read all about it in my dnd journal over on reddit. (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnDGreentext/comments/4qi3j1/truly_outrageous_pt_viii_how_i_outrageously/) I linked you the specific part, but if you search for Author:Socratov you are bound to find the rest.

On another note, I love what 5e has done to cantrips. I think it' snothign short of glorious and iwth a mind that happens top think outside the box and a chamring word to woo the DM into givin gme my way I can definitely make the rules of funny and cool my tools. Love 'em