PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Character Backstory help

Battle-Ace
2016-09-19, 02:05 PM
So far what I have for my character is a tiefling Vengeance paladin that worships the god hoar.
For my background I chose pirate to play a privateer from the land of sosall, who was onced given a commission for commerce raiding by their government. He has sworn to kill or at least hinder asmodeus.
He wields a greatsword alongside glaives and javelins. He has a lawful neutral alignment; and the feats sentinel, polearm master, and tough. For personality traits etc. I have "work hard, so I can play hard when work is done", "one day I will own my own ship and chart my own destiny", and "My pride will probably be my undoing".
Personality wise so far what I have him as preferring not to judge others based on race, healing those who are injured, and "aiding" (the spell) party while attempting to tank.
I'm trying to streamline the background while giving my character some depth so I'm not playing a flat character. Although I'm having trouble with doing this and creating a complex character with a good back story.
Can I have some help?

Hopeless
2016-09-19, 02:29 PM
Okay lets assume his family were prejudiced against through virtue of their ancestry and their abusers assumed they were followers of Azmodeus?

Something happened and your character survived but was accepted as a foundling of his church where he aspired to become a Paladin of Hoar.

The prejudice is why he became a privateer seeking to prove his faith as well as discover whether he has a place in the world outside his homeland where he can be accepted for what he is rather than the continuous prejudice he faces back home.

Sadly this prejudice seems a lot more common, but he recently learned a sibling survived whatever event cost him his family but that relation is now a member of the Azmodeus faith and as such his mortal enemy.

He hopes to find a way to save them at least so he doesn't have to kill them but his own superior is a fanatic who clearly shares the prejudice of their people and believes he will ultimately fail and betray Hoar ironically his superior's actions are increasing the odds should your character survive long enough they might choose their own path and a future of their own making...

Any good?

Battle-Ace
2016-09-19, 02:40 PM
Yes it seems good. Thanks.