PDA

View Full Version : looking for input on an exsisting character

samduke
2016-09-19, 03:41 PM
so like the title says I am looking for input/advice on an exsisting character that I presently am playing.
High Elf, Ranger 5, Rogue 2 - in looking at where I want to go with the character I am looking at ranger 9 and rogue 7, archery this in the end run leaves 4 levels for something, now sticking with the archery path - thinking about assassin on the rogue path, then fighter champion path as an option for those 4 odd levels. The question is if going fighter is it better to get those 4 in then finish planed rogue then finish ranger? presently str 10 dex 20 con 14 int 10 wis 14 cha 8

a level by level breakdown on your thoughts would be great, to include stat or feat at each 4th segment and all that kind of stuff...

Thanks for the input

Biggstick
2016-09-19, 05:31 PM
Do you only care about the mechanics of play? What kind of campaign are you playing and what are you looking to achieve with your Rogue multiclassing? It sounds like you're trying to build an Assassin, so let's go over a couple things that will be useful to this sort of build.

For an Assassin, you only need the initial three levels of Rogue for it to be effective. The other thing that will be useful is Action Surge from Fighter (level 2). This puts us at PC level 4. You can go one more level of Fighter for the maneuvers, and then be at a total of level 5. After that, going the rest into Ranger while picking up Crossbow Expert, Sharpshooter, and maxing out Dexterity will be the priority. Since you already have some of your levels, lets do a level by level for this.

PC level 7: Ranger 5/Rogue 2
PC level 8: Ranger 5/Rogue 3 (assassin)
PC level 9: Ranger 5/Rogue 4 (Sharpshooter) This is where your damage is going to start becoming a factor.
PC level 10: Ranger 5/Rogue 4/Fighter 1 (fighting style, second wind)
PC level 11: Ranger 5/Rogue 4/Fighter 2 (action surge) This is a huge level for you, as your burst damage at the start of combat will be pretty high.
PC level 12: Ranger 5/Rogue 4/Fighter 3 (Battlemaster) Make sure to pick up Precision shot, everything else is your choice for flavor.
PC level 13: Ranger 5/Rogue 4/Fighter 4 (Crossbow Expert) Your burst damage is going to be great at this point. Your sustained damage will also be pretty high combined with SS, CE, Hunter's Mark, and maxed out Dex.
PC level 14: Ranger 6/Rogue 4/Fighter 4
PC level 15: Ranger 7/Rogue 4/Fighter 4
PC level 16: Ranger 8/Rogue 4/Fighter 4 (Lucky, Alert, or any Resil) You can really pick up anything you want here. I'd be partial towards both Lucky and Alert.
PC level 17: Ranger 9/Rogue 4/Fighter 4
PC level 18: Ranger 10/Rogue 4/Fighter 4
PC level 19: Ranger 11/Rogue 4/Fighter 4 (Volley as an Assassin is going to do tons of work against mobs)
PC level 20: Ranger 12/Rogue 4/Fighter 4 (Whatever you didn't take at PC level 16)

If you're really set on the Rogue 7 though, you can definitely go for it. I'd recommend picking up Assassin, two levels of Fighter for the Action Surge, then heading back Rogue, and finally finishing your PC with Ranger levels, something like this.

PC level 7: Ranger 5/Rogue 2
PC level 8: Ranger 5/Rogue 3 (assassin)
PC level 9: Ranger 5/Rogue 4 (Sharpshooter)
PC level 10: Ranger 5/Rogue 5
PC level 11: Ranger 5/Rogue 5/Fighter 1 (fighting style, second wind)
PC level 12: Ranger 5/Rogue 5/Fighter 2 (action surge)
PC level 13: Ranger 5/Rogue 6/Fighter 2
PC level 14: Ranger 5/Rogue 7/Fighter 2
PC level 15: Ranger 6/Rogue 7/Fighter 2
PC level 16: Ranger 7/Rogue 7/Fighter 2
PC level 17: Ranger 8/Rogue 7/Fighter 2 (Crossbow Expert) Way later then we'd want it, but it will increase our sustained damage.
PC level 18: Ranger 9/Rogue 7/Fighter 2
PC level 19: Ranger 10/Rogue 7/Fighter 2
PC level 20: Ranger 11/Rogue 7/Fighter 2

I'm not as sold on this set-up though, as it feels like too much Rogue to me.

All in all, you've already got what you need from Ranger with the second attack, Hunter's mark, Colossus Slayer, and the Archery fighting style. Picking up the third level of Assassin is a great way to increase your damage at the start of combat, and two levels of Fighter will increase that even higher. This has you at level 8, with the option to grab the Fighter levels whenever you want to really increase your burst potential. Wherever you go from here is really based on what kind of flavor/abilities you value. What I'd try and steer you towards though is being able to pick up Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert, as these feats will increase your damage potential.