PDA

View Full Version : Drizzt

DracoKnight
2016-09-19, 04:10 PM
This thread is NOT about trying to make Drizzt as a PC. A while ago Chris Perkins tweeted out the statblock and equipment for Drizzt. Did anyone save those/does anyone still have them???

Falcon X
2016-09-19, 04:38 PM
https://twitter.com/chrisperkinsdnd/status/728601485987041280

I will say, I think Drizzt is way past 8th level. Level 8 is really powerful, but Drizzt is peerless. In the last book he soloed a CR16+ demon lord while still recovering from an injury.

DracoKnight
2016-09-19, 04:44 PM
https://twitter.com/chrisperkinsdnd/status/728601485987041280

I will say, I think Drizzt is way past 8th level. Level 8 is really powerful, but Drizzt is peerless. In the last book he soloed a CR16+ demon lord while still recovering from an injury.

Thank you! I've been looking for those for ages, trying to find the magic items he has.

And that is part of my problem with him. He's a Gary Stu... :smallannoyed:

CNagy
2016-09-19, 05:09 PM
He's a designated hero, those have always been way overpowered. I like to think of a character's line of novels as being their party's campaigns or succession of campaigns. Naturally, by the time they get through 6 or 9 or 25 books of content they are going to be powerful on par with small nations. But when you encounter them in the setting, they haven't necessarily already been to the 9 Hells and back. So it makes sense that he is around 8th level, though he is way over-equipped.

I'm surprised he is single-classed, though. The current 5E Ranger might not be a great fit, but 2 levels of Rogue speak better to Drizzt's speed and lethality. He'd lose 1 ASI but from the looks of that statblock he is only using 2 (Dual Wielder and +2 Dex) instead of 3 anyway.

Specter
2016-09-19, 05:39 PM
The greatest Mary Sue of D&D is level 8? Hah! Makes me laugh. More like Fighter 8/Ranger 12.

DivisibleByZero
2016-09-19, 05:39 PM
Those stats are merely for when he was playing Big D with A.I.
Traditionally (in 2e) he was 12th level.
More recently, I've seen him stated as being 18th level.
Most recently, I've seen a tweet stating that DMs were encouraged to use whatever stats they wanted and/or needed.
That's what this is. 8th level is what he needed for him to roll with A.I., so 8th level is what they used for that game.

Elminster298
2016-09-19, 07:10 PM
The 3.x version that had him ECL 18 seemed pretty on par with him at the end of The Hunter's Blades trilogy. Especially when you compare him to Artemis Entreri's ECL 18 stats. In the most recent books he is oviously max level as well as being partial Chosen of both Mielikki and Lolth. I have been considering statting out the Companions of the Hall for 5th ed after their rebirths but haven't finished the new books yet.

odigity
2016-09-19, 07:35 PM
With those magic items, I bet he performs several levels above 8th.

Elminster298
2016-09-19, 07:45 PM
With those magic items, I bet he performs several levels above 8th.

Without a doubt. The hardest part of statting him in 5th ed is that his abilities haven't changed almost since his inception. The Spellplague that caused the transition to 4th ed affected Spellcasting almost exclusively. The Sundering also affects Spellcasting again as well as races mostly. 5th ed brings things so much closer to 3.x that the only things that are really a problem are bounded accuracy, action economy, and so many of his key maneuvers rely on old rules. While he CAN be changed to 5th ed, he shouldn't be. He is older than 5th ed rules. He is older than 3.x rules as well but saw a lot of his advancement during 3rd ed so he fits there pretty well.