PDA

View Full Version : Golem and vampire questions

Efrate
2016-09-19, 09:03 PM
Just a couple quick questions.

Golems: Immune to all magic an supernatural effects

From SRD

Immunity to Magic (Ex)
Golems have immunity to most magical and supernatural effects, except when otherwise noted.

Yet in every golem entry I have ever seen, is only mentions any spell that allows for spell resistance (nerf in 3.5 I dislike). Since supernatural effects don't allow for SR, and I have never seen one mentioned as exception. The closest I have ever seen is any magical(all SU are magical) effect that deals X type of damage instead heals/does Y. So dragon breaths have different effect.

Is there any reason for this weird rule? Is there anything I am missing (barring supernatural transformation/pcs with breath weapons) that would in any way interact with this meaningfully? Never noticed it before, and it has me puzzled.

Vampires: more a nitpick. They can only energy drain once per round as per the template, but I have yet to see any vampire that mentions that particular caveat in their description. It just says Slam(or whatever) 1dX plus Y plus energy drain. Is this just unclear by designers or is there a weird errata I am missing.

Thanks folks.

Thurbane
2016-09-19, 09:31 PM
Aren't Golems immune to all of the Su attacks of vampires by virtue of their construct type anyway?

Never mind, was misunderstanding the question.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-09-19, 09:39 PM
Is there any reason for this weird rule? Is there anything I am missing (barring supernatural transformation/pcs with breath weapons) that would in any way interact with this meaningfully? Never noticed it before, and it has me puzzled.

It's just poor editing from WotC. They didn't bother to remove the supernatural effects clause from the sentence. After the 3.0-3.5 nerf to a golems magic immunity they're no longer immune to -any- supernatural effects.

Vampires: more a nitpick. They can only energy drain once per round as per the template, but I have yet to see any vampire that mentions that particular caveat in their description. It just says Slam(or whatever) 1dX plus Y plus energy drain. Is this just unclear by designers or is there a weird errata I am missing.

Thanks folks.

Again, just poor editing. At the same time, slams being a natural attack means they'll typically only be usable once per round anyway, twice if they get an AoO that they don't use some other weapon on.

Jack_Simth
2016-09-21, 07:32 AM
It's just poor editing from WotC. They didn't bother to remove the supernatural effects clause from the sentence. After the 3.0-3.5 nerf to a golems magic immunity they're no longer immune to -any- supernatural effects.Some golems missed the update ... the Ironwyrm golem in Draconomicon, for instance (first printing November 2003, vs. the 3.5 Player's Handbook of July 2003) still includes the supernatural immunity in it's Magic Immunity. Most likely an editing issue due to timing, mind, with the early 3.5 non-Core book authors not processing all the updates, but still....