PDA

View Full Version : FR deity for this CG paladin?

Drackolus
2016-09-19, 10:53 PM
I'm planning on making a chaotic good young human vengeance paladin, doing a PaM/Sentinel build. He's very headstrong and brave - kind of an anime protagonist. What forgotten realms gods would have such a paladin? Preferrably CG or NG. I can't seem to find any that feel right to me.
EDIT: Forgot to mention that this is for OotA

Pex
2016-09-19, 11:07 PM
Lathander or Lliira

Specter
2016-09-19, 11:36 PM
The ones I know are Tyr, Torm and Ilmater (the triad). Tyr and Torm probably would shun a chaotic man, but Ilmater (god of sacrifice) may be adequate.

Malifice
2016-09-19, 11:58 PM
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Chaotic_good_deities

Drackolus
2016-09-20, 02:55 AM
Is it weird for a human to worship a dwarven or elven god? There are more than a few of those that I like, but I was under the impression that FR racial gods were even more "exclusive" than usual. I was planning on a half-drow worshipper of Eilistraee before I realized I couldn't make it without that free feat.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-20, 06:01 AM
Is it weird for a human to worship a dwarven or elven god? There are more than a few of those that I like, but I was under the impression that FR racial gods were even more "exclusive" than usual. I was planning on a half-drow worshipper of Eilistraee before I realized I couldn't make it without that free feat.

Yeah, it'd be unusual. Possible, if you'd grown up in a dwarf- or elf-dominated society... but there aren't all that many of those. Humans and the main Faerūnian pantheon tend to get pretty much everywhere in the Realms.

My suggestions (in order of most likely to be suitable to least) would be:

Lathander
Selūne
Tymora
Uthgar
Milil (if your character's a bit of a poet-warrior)
Finder Wyvernspur
Sharess (particularly if you did a gender-flip)

Aett_Thorn
2016-09-20, 08:41 AM
You may also want to check out some of the lesser-known deities from FR that might fit:

Nobanion - a Deity of lions, good beasts, and nobility of sorts. Lawful good, but I could see him having CG followers.

Valkur - A sailor's god. Can be quite fickle, but might fit with the "headstrong and brave, but chaotic" vision if you're willing to play a bit of a sailor.

Beleriphon
2016-09-20, 10:37 AM
What no Sune? In previous editions she was the only CG deity that had an order of paladins when the class had to LG.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-20, 10:38 AM
What no Sune? In previous editions she was the only CG deity that had an order of paladins when the class had to LG.

Kind of screams Oath of the Ancients, though right? This is for a Vengeance paladin.

Beleriphon
2016-09-20, 10:41 AM
Kind of screams Oath of the Ancients, though right? This is for a Vengeance paladin.

Eh, still could work. Just need to avenge people and hand out free eye shadow. I mean they could look good while whooping ass, besides one needs to have an appropriate amount of eye liner when being sufficiently angry. Just look at all of those hair metal bands.

Like couldn't Twister Sister be a bunch of paladin's avenging the lack of rock and roll?

Aett_Thorn
2016-09-20, 10:44 AM
A Vengeance Paladin of Sune could be tasked with getting revenge for slain lovers (that bandit killed my wife! Go get him!), or tracking down those who have prevented love from forming (I wrote a letter to my love informing her of my desire to marry her, but her father never let her see it). Or they could just be given a general mission to track down those who would defile beauty.

Drackolus
2016-09-20, 12:22 PM
I was considering Sume or Sharress (one of my concepts was a female half-drow, I'm not set on gender), but I am going for more of a rebellion-style paladin. Getting slight inspiration from Firion from FF2 ( which likely none of you played. Wasn't very popular.) I felt throwing a beauty thing into the mix would overload the concept. Lathander works... And having such a stereotypical god would leave more room for character individuality.
If only there was an FR god of righteous rebellion.
Since 5e paladins draw from their own personality rather than a divine force, I could just say he's not especially devout. Like a fighter, basically. Or, I could go the route of dissatisfied youth who thinka the churxh should take a more hands-on approach to the demon crisis... But I think the church of Lathander is already doing just that.

Aett_Thorn
2016-09-20, 12:33 PM
If only there was an FR god of righteous rebellion.

Eilistraee (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Eilistraee) is probably the closest you could get to that, since she basically was trying to get the whole Drow race to come back into the light. But you'd have to work out how your character (if they're not at least part Drow) started following her.

HoodedHero007
2016-09-20, 12:40 PM
Why nobody has mentioned Trithereon, I have no idea
God of Liberty and Retribution, what is vengeance if not retribution?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-20, 12:46 PM
Firion from FF2 ( which likely none of you played. Wasn't very popular.)

Hey, I loved FFII! Though I may have skipped over most of the cut scenes... I completed like 3/4 of the game and I still can't recall a single thing about any of the characters. :smallsigh:

Aett_Thorn
2016-09-20, 12:52 PM

Maybe because Trithereon is a deity in the World of Greyhawk, not the Forgotten Realms? :smalltongue:

HoodedHero007
2016-09-20, 12:53 PM
Maybe because Trithereon is a deity in the World of Greyhawk, not the Forgotten Realms? :smalltongue:
Oh... Right.
Duuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrppppppppp

Drackolus
2016-09-20, 12:54 PM
He's also a Greyhawk god, not Forgotten Realms. He would be perfect.

Hey, I loved FFII! Though I may have skipped over most of the cut scenes... I completed like 3/4 of the game and I still can't recall a single thing about any of the characters. :smallsigh:
TO be honest, there wasn't that much characterization. Very old game.

Eilistraee (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Eilistraee) is probably the closest you could get to that, since she basically was trying to get the whole Drow race to come back into the light. But you'd have to work out how your character (if they're not at least part Drow) started following her.
The more I think about it the more I like Eilistraee, especially for the campaign. The only reason I'm so set on being human is I wanted to get that free feat so Tunnel Fighter/PaM/Sentintel comes online sooner and it lets me pump more into str than cha. Vengeance was more because of the level 7 ability, and because I think it works better on more physical oriented paladins. That said, I'm the kind of player that puts ritual caster on every character. The only time I didn't play a full caster was when i played a level 7 high elf ek with m.initiate and ritual caster, and I didn't enjoy it very much because I didn't have enough magic. So maybe I should abandon that route, go half-drow, get the free spells and the cha boost, then maybe go oath of the ancients.

BigONotation
2016-09-20, 01:03 PM
The FR god of Vengeance is Hoar (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Hoar), which is bizarre no one mentioned. He is the perfect god for Oath of Vengeance paladins.

BigONotation
2016-09-20, 01:04 PM

You think Sune doesn't have Vengeance paladins? Destroyers of those who remove beauty from the world?

Biggstick
2016-09-20, 01:09 PM
One that hasn't been brought up is Hoar. He is a LN deity of retribution and poetic justice. Although his worshippers tend towards the lawful side of things, who's to say you aren't one of the rogue CG Paladin's of Vengeance within the order. Maybe you feel as if the order is too stringent and focused on what is lawful rather then on what actually makes sense and is right. This especially plays towards the poetic justice side of Hoar.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-20, 01:12 PM
The FR god of Vengeance is Hoar (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Hoar), which is bizarre no one mentioned. He is the perfect god for Oath of Vengeance paladins.

In general, yes, but I'm not sure he fits this particular one. Hoar is LN, and bound to the service of Bane, God of Tyranny, one of the most evil beings in the multiverse. Up to the OP, but Hoar doesn't have my recommendation.

Biggstick
2016-09-20, 01:23 PM
In general, yes, but I'm not sure he fits this particular one. Hoar is LN, and bound to the service of Bane, God of Tyranny, one of the most evil beings in the multiverse. Up to the OP, but Hoar doesn't have my recommendation.

If I remember correctly, Tyr is trying to pull Hoar back to his way of looking at things rather then Bane's. In either case, he's a highly conflicted god in with whom his loyalties actually lie.

And regardless of who the deity actually serves, all a Paladin has to do is believe in the tenets the deity puts forth. The Paladin can twist these tenets or beliefs any which way they want to serve the purpose they're trying to serve.

Aett_Thorn
2016-09-20, 01:27 PM
If I remember correctly, Tyr is trying to pull Hoar back to his way of looking at things rather then Bane's. In either case, he's a highly conflicted god in with whom his loyalties actually lie.

And regardless of who the deity actually serves, all a Paladin has to do is believe in the tenets the deity puts forth. The Paladin can twist these tenets or beliefs any which way they want to serve the purpose they're trying to serve.

Still, Hoar is pretty much the epitome of what happens when law is taken into account without care for good or evil. "You did something wrong, so you will pay" is pretty much his philosophy. He's almost as far as you can get from CG as you can, without going over to evil. Kinda tough to fit that in line with a CG character.

Biggstick
2016-09-20, 01:55 PM
Still, Hoar is pretty much the epitome of what happens when law is taken into account without care for good or evil. "You did something wrong, so you will pay" is pretty much his philosophy. He's almost as far as you can get from CG as you can, without going over to evil. Kinda tough to fit that in line with a CG character.

What if the person who did something wrong is the one in charge? This person might be a lord or king of the land. This would make the person who did something wrong still in the wrong, but still acting on the lawful side.

If one person stands against this lawful person (who did sonething wrong or evil) who's in a position of power, this would make the one standing up to them chaotic. You can most definitely hold to the ideals of Hoar and be a chaotic person in the eyes of society. Because let's step back a second when it comes to alignment. Your alignment isn't something that you as a PC can know about yourself, it's how others perceive you. (The LE whatever probably doesn't see themselves as evil, a band of barbarians might be viewed as chaotic neutral, but their practices are long established amongst one another, thus making actions within the CN barbarian society stand on the lawful side since it's what each barbarian expects of one another).

GlenSmash!
2016-09-20, 02:13 PM
I always like Selūne for my CG forgotten realms characters. Just remember a paladins beliefs (or implementation of those beliefs) don't have to match up perfectly with their diety. In fact there's a lot more room for good quality RP if there is the occasional crisis of faith.

I'm not saying you have to fall or anything, just that blind faith can be boring RPwise and possibly annoying to the rest of the group.

Irennan
2016-09-20, 07:23 PM
I'm planning on making a chaotic good young human vengeance paladin, doing a PaM/Sentinel build. He's very headstrong and brave - kind of an anime protagonist. What forgotten realms gods would have such a paladin? Preferrably CG or NG. I can't seem to find any that feel right to me.
EDIT: Forgot to mention that this is for OotA

Headstrong, brave, C/NG... sounds like a Lathander guy to me. Hoar would be the FR human deity of vengeance, but he's too brooding for your character.

I see that you mentioned that you were thinking about Eilistraee: she has followers of all races (among humans, she is especially worshiped among hunters--aside from the customary rites, they may also worship her by sacrificing small edible animals to her during full moon nights), so a human could be a paladin of Eilistraee. You'd have to explain how your human came to worship her. The drow priestesses of the Dark Dancer in Velarswood (Harrowdale, just south-east of Cormanthor) are known to have built a good relationship with the human hunters there, often offering their cures. Maybe your PC was saved from an illness only thanks to the magic of Eilistraee and has come to know the goddess because of that. Or something along those lines.

Anyway, since you have said that your concept is that of righteous rebellion, Eilistraee fits, but so does Lathander (and well too).

lunaticfringe
2016-09-20, 10:09 PM
I was a chaotic good Hoar Paladin. Old lore don't mean squat since Ao rewrote stuff. His entry in SCAG just says Tyr decides who is guilty & Hoar carries out the punishment. He is the God of Executioners & Bounty Hunters. Also Alignment matching isn't a thing. My paladin was Half Elf Batman (more Frank Miller's crazy Batman)

2D8HP
2016-09-20, 10:29 PM
Eh, still could work. Just need to avenge people and hand out free eye shadow. I mean they could look good while whooping ass, besides one needs to have an appropriate amount of eye liner when being sufficiently angry. Just look at all of those hair metal bands.

Like couldn't Twister Sister be a bunch of paladin's avenging the lack of rock and roll?OK previously I thought an all Barbarian party would be the most fun, but I'm really digging the "Avengers of Rock n' Roll" concept:
"Charged by their Celestial masters with the mission to bring heavy-duty Rock n' Roll to a world in dire need of it and to FIGHT FOR THE RIGHT TO PARTY!"
Just so damn metal!
:biggrin:

OK, on second thought maybe "WARLOCKS OF ROCK", "Charged by their Infernal masters" is even more hella metal..
Ooh, a battle royal for THE SOUL OF ROCK 'N ROLL!
Now that's a campaign!

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-21, 03:04 AM
OK previously I thought an all Barbarian party would be the most fun, but I'm really digging the "Avengers of Rock n' Roll" concept:
"Charged by their Celestial masters with the mission to bring heavy-duty Rock n' Roll to a world in dire need of it and to FIGHT FOR THE RIGHT TO PARTY!"
Just so damn metal!
:biggrin:

OK, on second thought maybe "WARLOCKS OF ROCK", "Charged by their Infernal masters" is even more hella metal..
Ooh, a battle royal for THE SOUL OF ROCK 'N ROLL!
Now that's a campaign!

Must... resit... temptation to start new game... :smallfurious:

Oh... but I could homebrew up a rock 'n roll supplement. New subclasses, a music-battle system, maybe some spells... I'll put a pin in it for now.

Rhaegar14
2016-09-21, 03:23 AM
Vengeance was more because of the level 7 ability

Somewhat tangential, but can I ask why? It's extremely redundant with Sentinel. There are plenty of other good reasons to take the Oath of Vengeance but this particular one doesn't add up for me.

Drackolus
2016-09-21, 07:48 PM
Somewhat tangential, but can I ask why? It's extremely redundant with Sentinel. There are plenty of other good reasons to take the Oath of Vengeance but this particular one doesn't add up for me.

Stopping an enemy's movement doesn't stop me from taking advantage of my free half move. Having tunnel fighter would let me do that a potentiatally unlimited number of times. Would let me stop one person who's moving in on me at 10 ft, then move 15ft myself and potentially get in someone else's way.

Herobizkit
2016-09-23, 05:40 AM
Just gonna roll in and give a drive-by +1 to the Eilistraee recommendation. Aside from being a champion of the Drow race, she's also very Ranger and Bard-like in her dogma.