PDA

View Full Version : Cool Movie/Video Game/Book/Comic/Anime/etc. Ideas

8BitNinja
2016-09-19, 11:39 PM
Have you ever had an idea for a piece of media and you just wanted to share that idea with the world? Now you can!

Here are two of mine

A slasher film where everyone is aware of their cliche roles and acts accordingly. The blond haired girl doesn't care, the token minority builds a bunker, and sex is completely avoided.

Another is an anime that takes place in the world of a harem anime, but the protagonist is self aware and takes precautions to make sure the plot doesn't kick off and his life isn't ruined. He ends up being confronted by several people who tell him to start the plot.

Basically, my ideas consist of "Genre Savvyness to the Extreme"

Leewei
2016-09-20, 09:55 AM
I've got an idea for a RPG I've been knocking around for a while: "Let's NOT Be Heroes"

The notion is that PCs are in an archetypal fantasy world, lousy with adventurers, monsters, gods, and drama. The world has been saved countless times, and destroyed more than a few.1

PCs are fully genre savvy, and very aware of just how stupid and dangerous adventurers can be. And every one of them has a secret background of which they're in desperate denial.2

The goal of the game is for PCs to mitigate the worst of the heroic disasters, and to help the city (and their merchant's guild employer) survive in a world wracked by heroics. Generally speaking, PCs would win by persuasion, lies, and as a last resort, fighting utterly dirty.

1) Three zombie apocalypses, moon partially eaten by elder space god, bicentennial demon invasion, oceans temporarily turned into jelly, two week-long nights, the Gotterdammerung, the Month of Hungry Earth, and the Averted Ascension are all in living memory.

2) Seventh daughter of a seventh daughter; father killed by evil overlord, swore vengeance before you knew better; last knight (/monk/wizard) of a lost order; secretly nobility; blessed by a forgotten god; and so forth.

Dr_Dinosaur
2016-09-20, 10:54 AM
I want a video game that mixes graphical styles like The Amazing World of Gumball does with animation, and likewise explores its medium. A 16-bit knight interacting with a beautifully-rendered HD comrade. The gameplay tropes their era and genre applying to them but not others, etc.

8BitNinja
2016-09-20, 05:06 PM
Once I had an idea for a video game where the object of the game is to access the game. When you press start, nothing happens, so you have to go into the options and mess around in there, then solve a few puzzles, and then delve deeper and deeper.

Another video game I thought of was an adventure game where you assumed the role of a hacker and was attempting to access the rumored and legendary primarch system (http://4chandata.org/x/level-8-is-impossible-to-access-directly-the-primarch-system-is-literally-the-thing-controlling-the-internet-atm-no-government-has-a422048) you play the entire thing from an in world computer, similar to Welcome to the Game.

Amaril
2016-09-20, 05:40 PM
Okay, don't laugh...

I want to make a real robot mecha third-person shooter/action RPG. Your typical Gundam plot on the surface: future age of space colonization, the colonies band together to throw off the chains of the homeworld, giant robots blow each other up a lot. Where I'd want to take the story, though, would be a deconstruction of the image of military action in games, certain tropes of real robot military stories, and common expectations of CRPGs, with some moral relativism thrown in for extra flavor. You'd play the role of a civilian in one of the few loyalist colonies, just as things are erupting into full-scale war. Your space station gets attacked by the rebels, and you fall into the cockpit of your secret project super prototype mecha to kick some ass--the usual stuff for the genre. Naturally, given how these stories usually play out, and the expectations for this kind of game, you're led to believe that you'll be playing the role of one-robot army and singlehandedly deciding the outcome of the conflict. However, as you make more and more major decisions, you start to realize that nothing you're doing is really affecting much of anything on a broad scale. Battles play out the same way no matter how you try and intervene; characters die whether or not you try to save them. Which is, of course, the point. The idea we have from all the military games we play of one soldier on the ground having any noticeable effect on the outcome of a war is laughable, even if they have the super-mecha--that's now how war works. The expectation we've been taught by big CRPGs that our decisions will somehow have a lasting impact on the course of history is just as ludicrous. But that doesn't mean our choices are pointless. Because this whole time, you haven't just been deciding how to intervene in big story events; you've been developing your character's personality, the way they behave when lives aren't at stake, and the relationships they have with other characters. What really matters, in the end, is not how we change the world in big ways, but little ones--the kind of person we choose to be, and the effect we have on the lives of people close to us. That's all we really can control, and wishing for more is a waste of energy.

DoctorFaust
2016-09-21, 07:07 AM
Er, Amaril, isn't that basically just OG Gundam? My memory of it is somewhat hazy, but I'm fairly certain almost nothing Amuro did actually contributed to the war ending. Like, Odessa was fought almost exclusively by conventional weaponry, and I'm fairly certain A Baoa Qu ended because the three highest ranked commanding officers were killed in a sort of ladder of revenge and the disorganisation caused by that.

Amaril
2016-09-21, 09:25 AM
Er, Amaril, isn't that basically just OG Gundam? My memory of it is somewhat hazy, but I'm fairly certain almost nothing Amuro did actually contributed to the war ending. Like, Odessa was fought almost exclusively by conventional weaponry, and I'm fairly certain A Baoa Qu ended because the three highest ranked commanding officers were killed in a sort of ladder of revenge and the disorganisation caused by that.

Could be--I'm actually not that familiar with Gundam in particular, beyond the broad strokes. Anyway, I still feel like there hasn't really been a game that's exactly like that, though it's been done plenty of times in other media. Maybe the game could help bring it to a slightly broader audience.

Kitten Champion
2016-09-21, 09:42 AM

The White Base had tactical significance throughout the war in large part because of his presence there. They attracted a lot of forces to them that would be otherwise occupied, which had a bitter element since they were mostly youths. While Char's plot was half-responsible they did in fact succeed in killing Garma Zabi which was an important milestone in the the war and also led to offing the skilled Ramba Ral in Asia. He obliterated the famed Black Tri-Stars, as well as Lalah Sune, and of course Dozle Zabi and his terrifying Big Zam. A substantive number of other skilled fighters and experimental death machines were sent to down the famed White Devil and Trojan Horse and they had a pretty good record in killing them first.

Actually, didn't he help the Feddie Mobile Suit development as well? I know they did that in Gundam Seed later - so I might be confusing it - but didn't the data from his battles and the Gundam's core computer contribute to the GM's ultimate development, which ultimately allowed Earth to turn the tide against Zeon?

Anyways, I think it's fair to say that the war was much bigger than him and he largely lacked any control over it when you got down to it. Rather he was an important pawn on the Federation military leadership's chessboard that somehow kept surviving despite very stacked odds against him. That, and nothing he achieved really contributed to his personal happiness in any way aside from seeing whatever was left of his small world and sanity not die violently with the White Base.

DoctorFaust
2016-09-21, 10:24 AM
The White Base had tactical significance throughout the war in large part because of his presence there. They attracted a lot of forces to them that would be otherwise occupied, which had a bitter element since they were mostly youths. While Char's plot was half-responsible they did in fact succeed in killing Garma Zabi which was an important milestone in the the war and also led to offing the skilled Ramba Ral in Asia. He obliterated the famed Black Tri-Stars, as well as Lalah Sune, and of course Dozle Zabi and his terrifying Big Zam. A substantive number of other skilled fighters and experimental death machines were sent to down the famed White Devil and Trojan Horse and they had a pretty good record in killing them first.

Actually, didn't he help the Feddie Mobile Suit development as well? I know they did that in Gundam Seed later - so I might be confusing it - but didn't the data from his battles and the Gundam's core computer contribute to the GM's ultimate development, which ultimately allowed Earth to turn the tide against Zeon?

Like I said, I haven't seen it in a while, so I'll totally admit that I could be entirely wrong. But I could've sworn that Lalah sacrificed herself to save Char, and that Dozle Zabi was actually killed after the battle for his asteroid was already lost. As for MS development, I honestly couldn't tell you. I thought that was what he worked at after the One Year War, and I know he either designed or was instrumental in designing the Nu Gundam. I am obviously going to have to rewatch it at some point.

Kitten Champion
2016-09-21, 07:26 PM
Like I said, I haven't seen it in a while, so I'll totally admit that I could be entirely wrong. But I could've sworn that Lalah sacrificed herself to save Char,

Yeah, but she saved him from Amuro, not like, a boat accident or something. While Amuro seized an attack of opportunity left by Char's horror from nearly killing his sister and Lalah was very reluctant and confused in fighting Amuro in the first place - and I suppose that's not sporting - but there still weren't any other Federation pilots whom I aware of that could've fought the Elmeth and Char's Gelgoog at that level during that war.

While Lalah's death was horrifying for Amuro and scarred him for the rest of his life, undoubtedly she and the Elmeth were significant obstacles for the Federation forces. Newtypes he fought posed a real threat in combat beyond mere skill with weapons that couldn't be piloted by normal humans. Here's that scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUNw1d_nq7o), anyways.

and that Dozle Zabi was actually killed after the battle for his asteroid was already lost.

He was mid-retreat before he died, but as Dozle said, if they managed to mass develop the Big Zam that sank so many Fed vessels in its first sortie the war could have gone on for a lot longer or even turned against them. He was also one of the more well liked and competent leaders in their organization who wasn't secretly undermining them at least, and his death was by no means a certainty the moment he said he'd cover his forces' retreat. Anyways here it is (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKOZKGE9gAw).

Though in general, while he wasn't individually responsible for victories like at Solomon - this not being Gundam Seed/Destiny - he did more than just participate in them. The White Devil title wasn't a cute nickname. The retreat wasn't incidental to his deployment there, is what I'm saying.

As for MS development, I honestly couldn't tell you. I thought that was what he worked at after the One Year War, and I know he either designed or was instrumental in designing the Nu Gundam. I am obviously going to have to rewatch it at some point.

He was constantly working on the Gundam, and the Gundam itself recorded combat data that enhanced his effectiveness in future combat. There's actually a lot dialogue and time dedicated towards that tech-stuff that's pretty anachronistically funny now and cut out of the movies entirely that is, well -- not particularly memorable as far as the show goes. I'm not sure if that data translated into improving the mass-produced GMs (and I suppose Ground-Type Gundams from 08th MS team) or they were already far along enough for it not to matter.

8BitNinja
2016-09-21, 11:32 PM
An RPG that takes place after a character dies. Not like Planescape, where it takes place in an afterlife, you take your dead character from another game (Same system) and he continues to grow in the afterlife.

Fri
2016-09-21, 11:45 PM
I know that it's execution that's important not premise. You can have the most generic premise of anything ever, but if the execution's good, it's still good. But I still can't help.

I always have this idea for a jrpg setting (or actually any rpg setting, but the original idea was inspired by grandia). Basically the game's set in a frontier planet. Everyone who arrived there are given some sort of full-body skin-tight underwear armor suit. The reason is that the planet is super dangerous, full of dangerous wildlifes. It's basically completely protect you, but it will still leave you big bruise or break your ribs if you got shot by a shotgun, smacked or bitten by a tentacled monster, or got hit by a sword.

This give the setting two things:

Combined with the advanced medical tech, first is that fighting and dueling is common in the culture, but killing people is a big no-no, a huge taboo, since you have to purposefully try to murder your opponents. So it's common for people to have big brawl and shoot each others in the bar, or have a sudden sword duel in the streets, but most of the time nobody dies.

The second is, since everyone are protected and comfortably sealed by the full-body underwear (it also give you environmental protection/comfort), basically the fashion is anything goes. Want to wear leather jacket full of zipper? Elaborate gothic dress? Bikini armor (with the full body underwear beneath it?) go wild.

You can see what I did with this right? Basically it to make the usual culture you see in jrpg and crpg, with weird elaborate costumes, and people casually fighting each others with deadly weapons :smallbiggrin:

Also I remember something about giving the reason why people still run around with melee weapons. I think it's because the wildlife's biology or something. Shooting them with ordinary bullets damage them, but not that much, and it's more effective to cut them using slashing weapons or simply bash them. You need elaborate bullets to do worthwhile damage to the wildlife (like big caliber hollow point or something). I forgot the details though.

Hytheter
2016-09-22, 12:11 AM
A slasher film where everyone is aware of their cliche roles and acts accordingly. The blond haired girl doesn't care, the token minority builds a bunker, and sex is completely avoided.

While its not quite to that level, you may enjoy the Scream movies.

Lord Raziere
2016-09-22, 03:15 AM
OH YOU POOR UNFORTUNATE SOULS.

you've got me going on my ideas for cool new things. you shouldn't have done that.

Superheroes: Overkill Comics
This is a superhero universe, where basically superheroism started in the 1930's out of nowhere, and the current day is the 2010's or so. So the world has changed from 80 years of superpowered people being around: Crime is more rampant, repeated alien invasions has made Earth form an organization called the Space Guard which enforces a paranoid defensive isolationist policy against all aliens, despite a massive influx of terrified alien refugees fleeing from intergalactic wars that put any dangers on Earth to shame.

The Superheroes themselves for most become empowered at the whim of the Madness Force, a strange force that enhances the likelihood of improbable events happening and making the impossible possible that strikes at random. Scientists who try to harness it begin to go mad, and thus become Mad Scientists, capable of great power and inventing things really fast but completely insane and dangerous and are thus locked in Mad Science Institutions so that the nations can keep the people safe while trying to control them for their own gain.

Criminals however break out of jails so easily that they are basically supervillain meeting grounds. Superhero groups have specific ideologies, methods and political leanings rather being random assortments of convenience, they once tried to make a truly global united superhero force work in the 1980's but it fell apart. If that wasn't enough, the alien invasions destroyed Soviet Russia in the 1960's and in their place is a Russia ruled by superhero overlords, while many third world countries have supervillains as their dictators. The laws regarding superheroes change from nation to nation, from the US being the most permissive of vigilantism to China requiring every superhero to register themselves to the state.

This is a world of heroes, and they must be the light in the darkness.

Giant Mecha: Steel Messiah
For this, take our modern Earth. Advance the timeline a bit so that everyone is making real robot-type mecha to fight each other across the globe for diminishing resources powered by solar energy, as well as over the increasing rifts being humans and transhumans. Now imagine that suddenly a race of aliens called the Karakan invaded with strange far more advanced mecha while making calculated strikes on human infrastructure to knock long range communications like internet, radio, phones, the works to make all of human civilization fall into chaos as apart of this apocalyptic invasion plan.

But then suddenly the first super robot appears out of nowhere: A mecha so powerful that it destroys the entire alien invasion force within a day. An inspiring figure that starts an entire religion around it, believing it to be a god. Then it vanished.

Of course, in the aftermath of this, the Transhumans try to recreate the super-robots power for themselves. The result was a strange flash of light then a planet wide apocalypse as reality glitches for one terrible moment then goes back to...not quite normal. The result is that now there are rifts in time and space everywhere and some things have appeared that weren't there before.

The story starts years later with the United Republic of Earth, the last remnants of the global human society before all this happened, being invaded by the Transhuman Collective. One of the Transhuman's ace pilots and commanders close in on the town where the URE is creating its first Elite Mecha to save them from the Transhuman's onslaught. A hero must soon rise to fight back...

Fantasy: Shattered Rassiteh
Long ago, the world was only one planet known as Rassiteh, where only humans lived. The humans worshipped gods, a pantheon who protected them. But there were people called Witches or God-Hackers who revealed that these gods were running a con, the demons were only servants of the gods staged to terrorize the humans into believing in them when they were foiled and disasters were only there to punish humanity, with no allowance for progress or creativity, and that worse still, this entire system was powered by sapping energy from something known as Pandora's Box, a thing holding in limitless potential for other worlds and possibilities.

So the Godhackers, led a rebellion, killed these gods to free humanity. The humans looked into the Box and saw the suffering of limitless possibility contained and bound to be tortured to maintain a static unchanging world. So they decided to break it open to make the god's tyranny will never be repeated.

This was anything but a wise decision. The possibilities were unleashed, the universe expanded exponentially, the single world of Rassiteh shattered into a thousand pieces as a million more worlds suddenly sprang and blossomed into existence, the pieces and the people upon them being flung far across the newly born cosmos.

Four centuries later, the Flying City of Rassiteh, a continent-sized cosmopolitan city formed from gathering the many shards of Rassiteh and piecing them together now boldly go forth to discover new types of magic, forms of life, cultures and worlds using reason and science on airships and magitech, the Godhackers now forming the organization of Godsbane determined to kill any fledgling deities they find in these new cosmos to make sure no being has so much power corrupting them. But at what price has their actions for progress and freedom come at, are all gods truly evil, and what other threats were so great that the First Pantheon locked them away?

Wuxia: Lonely At The Top
First let us tell the Tale of Kunamo. He started as an ordinary boy, who desired to be the greatest martial artist in the land. In this land, such a position is an official one created by the Emperor himself known as the Master of All Martial Arts, and is passed down by either Master to student, or by a challenger defeating the Master. So he went forth and gathered a group of companions and fought many foes across the land. For a time, he was happy. But one by one, his companions in their loyalty sacrificed their lives thus the hopes of fulfilling their dreams for the sake of his own or abandoned him to pursue their own dreams, and he was filled with sadness. By the time he fought and killed the Master of All Martial Arts, he was alone.

Years later, he still holds the position, but he is bored of young upstart challengers easily defeated, and still feels melancholy over his companions. Despite achieving his dream, he feels empty. This is the tale of his students, of Shei Nanjai the thorny Emperor's daughter wishing to practice martial arts for her own schemes, and Kankusho a reckless street brat who fights only to protect those closest to him, care little for each other.

However one is not supposed to hold both the title of Emperor and the title of Master of All Martial Arts. The Emperor, by allowing his daughter to inherit one and potentially earn the other, is attracting every single martial artist out there who believes that they deserve the title more than anyone else. The Capital City will soon drown in chaos...and Shei herself bets her plans on it. A deconstruction of wuxia and shonen manga.

Alternate History: Napoleon Stone
In the 1600's the alchemists discover the philosopher's stone. They successfully make various famous people and rulers immortal and change the face of alchemy forever. As Alchemic Technology takes off, the only people who refuse such are the French, due to strong religious belief in not playing god with life. This leads to the French Revolution still happening, still failing after the Reign of Terror, and Napoleon taking over. Napoleon then gets his hands on a Philosopher's Stone, and learns sorcery.

Then it all goes down hill from there.

Basically? Napoleon successfully takes and holds all of Europe, including Britain. With Britain's great naval power the European imperial age is masterminded solely by him, conquering half the world with the combined might of Europe now known as the Napoleonic Empire. Africa, South America, parts of North America, the Middle East are all under his control, and his ambition to this day makes him continue the conquest until he has all the world under rule, his Napolegions still working to conquer more. The group foremost in resisting his efforts? the resistance group known as the The Axis of Freedom, led by Stalin the light of freedom, Che Guevera and Adolf the magical painter.

The year is 1951. Alchemy Tech has spread across the world and Emperor Napoleon Jesus Bonaparte holds the last known Philosopher's Stone while various historical figures warped from the changes in history play on the world stage for their various goals and dreams. Including Zombie Robespierre, resurrected the Necromancer Lovecraft, broken free from Lovecraft's control and now seeks to kill Napoleon for betraying his ideals and start a new world-wide Reign of Terror.

gonzo alternate history setting. bring your sense of humor.

Look at what you made me did. I hope your happy with the consequences.

DoctorFaust
2016-09-22, 04:20 AM
So what you're saying is, I was almost entirely incorrect. Good to know. :smallbiggrin:

And I think a proper sci-fi samurai movie would be cool. I know that Star Wars was at least in part inspired by Akira Kurosawa's work, but I want something that's all the way Kurosawa. The closest thing I can really think of is Snow Crash, and as fantastic as it is, imo it doesn't quite tick the right boxes.

Kitten Champion
2016-09-22, 05:22 AM
I got so caught up in Gundam I forgot what this thread was about.

I found a manga series I've rather come to enjoy - Tsuyokute New Saga - whose premise I think could make a great JRPG with Bioware-style narrative options.

The manga begins in media res at the end of a long, dark story where humanity is flickering on the edge of annihilation in the face of a demon invasion. The Hero is leading the last ditch suicidal strike on the Demon King to save whatever's left of their world. He succeeds, and the Demon King is vanquished, but sadly his party is killed in the fight and he's not exactly in great shape himself. Upon searching the Demon King's lair, he sees a strange magical rite being performed, investigating it he blacks out and wakes up in his body from four years ago in the sleepy village he called his home before it was razed by monsters in the early days of the invasion.

He, with a loose collection of foreknowledge, skill hardened under constant war, and heavy sense of determination, attempts to use this time given to him to collect money, prestige, and influence to become a Hero in the eyes of the world so he manipulate events and peoples to build up whatever defense humanity could ready against the inevitable invasion and change the future.

That to me, could be an awesome game. The first time around you get to play through the events as they originally unfold. You meet the important characters, have the hero develop relationships with them and learn their backstories as he develops into someone stronger. You'll get to know the politics of the world, who to trust, who will betray you, what people are capable of for good or ill in an existential crisis. You'll find long lost treasures with fantastical powers, grow into a leader, and eventually fight the last boss. It's hell, people the player is made to care about will die, but you'll win -- even if its somewhat Pyrrhic. Then, you have what will essentially be the in-universe New Game+. Except your character is aware of what happened during the first play-through and can act accordingly.

You aren't suddenly omniscient now - you only have your experiences and know only what you know based on that narrow perspective of the character - but you can start a new phase in the game with more initial strength and agency over your choices but with an all new challenge to it. This time you'll need to start out on your own, build up your power-base independently, gaining the influence or using your foreknowledge to make the Big Decisions of what Humanity will look like when it hits the ever-present countdown to the invasion.

You will have the option to involve some new characters in your party - people who died originally that you can bring along now - and everyone else involved would naturally be who they are before the crises. You might break someone out of prison who was there falsely, find out that someone you looked up to actually had a problematic past s/he was lying to you about as your companion, be discomforted when your former lover looks upon you as a complete stranger and is - in this time - still with the man or woman that had already died when you met him/her in your initial timeline.

As well, you will have the freedom to go across the continent and do anything you can do in whatever order you wish - like Dragon Age: Inquisition if you could access all flag markers on the map from the beginning - though, this iteration would all fall under a calendar-type time mechanic system where certain Events will happen only at certain times and you can consult your memory (which will vary depending on how you played through the first time) to root through to decide what to do. You could, for instance, save the life of a an important noble from assassination which would earn you some influence and open a useful flag within that person's faction or you could just let it happen because the assassin responsible will become a strong ally in the future left alone and the noble is most certainly corrupt. Whatever decision you do make, time will pass by and close opportunities available to you as they do. When that times up for the invasion you'll be measured in terms of battle preparedness and things will obviously play out differently this time accordingly.

So what you're saying is, I was almost entirely incorrect. Good to know. :smallbiggrin:

Nah, it's just that it's not a simple binary. Mobile Suit Gundam tries to reflect how expansive and far-reaching war can be - while some players like Generals and Rulers are more significant and have more agency than others - no one exists in a vacuum... not even Spacenoids. Amuro isn't the center of the universe here, and his place in history is kind of dubious due to the schizophrenic politics of the era.

They also try to show how dehumanizing and craptacular war can be, and that part is expressed by depriving the sense of victory by Amuro as even when he succeeds it's either bittersweet by its nature, followed by a hardy slap to the face, or ultimately meaningless to him as a character and simply done because he had no choice in the matter.

That being said, it's a Space Opera of sorts, and big actions with romantic characters is still on the docket, clearly. So Amuro reflects this as well, usually by fighting in his own corner of the One Year War that has the eccentrics and whacky death machines in it.

Fri
2016-09-22, 10:12 AM
@Kitten Champion

I thought that's the premise of Bravely Default. Or at least close enough.

khadgar567
2016-09-23, 02:40 AM
Lot of ideas with to little post space
my main anime probably based on harem were hero control control group of dysfuntional girl friends with main cast consisting hero and five girls( belly dancer, maid, scientist, chef and obligatorty shy one)

Amaril
2016-09-23, 02:26 PM
I had a dream last night that left this idea in my head when I woke up. I have no idea what medium would suit it best, or whether it could be any good, and I have a vague suspicion that it's either been done a buttload of times already or been done once really really well in a work everyone knows about but me, but what the hell, I'll toss it out there.

You know basically every young adult text ever, and a good portion of anime? Where you have a group of teenage heroes in an insanely f***ed-up situation saving the world? And at least two of them always have a romance subplot going? Well, this would be a story set after these kids have managed to save the world, and basically be a domestic drama starring the requisite couple, about them trying to adjust to living normal lives after being essentially child soldiers, and having to deal with the fact that while they may have thought they'd found true love and would be together forever, they were really just two hormonal teenagers in a high-stress situation who hooked up because they were scared of dying virgins, and actually have far less in common than they thought.

I know I'm not the first person to come up with this, though. Anyone know where I might have seen it before?

8BitNinja
2016-09-23, 11:45 PM
I know that it's execution that's important not premise. You can have the most generic premise of anything ever, but if the execution's good, it's still good. But I still can't help.

I always have this idea for a jrpg setting (or actually any rpg setting, but the original idea was inspired by grandia). Basically the game's set in a frontier planet. Everyone who arrived there are given some sort of full-body skin-tight underwear armor suit. The reason is that the planet is super dangerous, full of dangerous wildlifes. It's basically completely protect you, but it will still leave you big bruise or break your ribs if you got shot by a shotgun, smacked or bitten by a tentacled monster, or got hit by a sword.

This give the setting two things:

Combined with the advanced medical tech, first is that fighting and dueling is common in the culture, but killing people is a big no-no, a huge taboo, since you have to purposefully try to murder your opponents. So it's common for people to have big brawl and shoot each others in the bar, or have a sudden sword duel in the streets, but most of the time nobody dies.

The second is, since everyone are protected and comfortably sealed by the full-body underwear (it also give you environmental protection/comfort), basically the fashion is anything goes. Want to wear leather jacket full of zipper? Elaborate gothic dress? Bikini armor (with the full body underwear beneath it?) go wild.

You can see what I did with this right? Basically it to make the usual culture you see in jrpg and crpg, with weird elaborate costumes, and people casually fighting each others with deadly weapons :smallbiggrin:

Also I remember something about giving the reason why people still run around with melee weapons. I think it's because the wildlife's biology or something. Shooting them with ordinary bullets damage them, but not that much, and it's more effective to cut them using slashing weapons or simply bash them. You need elaborate bullets to do worthwhile damage to the wildlife (like big caliber hollow point or something). I forgot the details though.

So basically a JRPG that makes sense? Cool.