PDA

View Full Version : How about something happy?

BiblioRook
2016-09-20, 12:53 AM
I've been pretty depressed lately and find I could really use some levity and I think, 'Well who doesn't?'.
I figured I would keep the request open honestly because I'm curious as to what people would suggest and I could always ask for specifics later if they are needed.

However just to cut off probably the two more obvious answers; I don't think I'm ready to give MLP a shot just yet and have already seen most if not all of Steven Universe up to this point...

Fri
2016-09-20, 12:54 AM
We bare bears! it's about three bears who travel around in a bear stack!

intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oylc8TMGgso

Kid Jake
2016-09-20, 01:24 AM
Star vs The Forces of Evil is an immensely upbeat and entertaining show. My niece begged to watch it because "Look, it's got a magical princess in it!" but I'm pretty sure I ended up enjoying it more than she did when it was all said and done. The titular character is an overly enthusiastic teenager with severe ADHD that's given a handheld WMD that shoots narwhals.

BiblioRook
2016-09-20, 01:39 AM
Star vs The Forces of Evil is an immensely upbeat and entertaining show.

I was wondering how soon someone might bring this up, I'm actually already a big fan.

Rynjin
2016-09-20, 01:40 AM
Bit of an oddball one, but of recent shows One Punch Man always makes me feel good. Lots of good jokes, and slick animation to get you pumped during fights. A good pick-me-up show all around.

I can probably think of some more, but that one springs to mind first.

Lethologica
2016-09-20, 02:29 AM
Natsume Yuujinchou - high school kid goes around befriending spirits and solving their problems
My Ordinary Life - slice-of-life with cute girls being cute + over-the-top wackiness
Daily Life of Highschool Boys - exactly what it says on the tin
Aria the Animation - welcome to space venice enjoy your relaxing boat trip

You've probably heard of Parks & Rec and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, so, shrug.

Fri
2016-09-20, 03:16 AM
talking about live action show.

Community is my favourite comedy series, or actually, live action show of all time. Bar none. When it ended I feel sad, wondering if I'd ever like something as much as it anymore. I still watch the whole series at least once a month.

Also talking about anime, it's actually considered an unofficial genre, "healing show." Which is basically the equivalent of comfort food, an uplifting and relaxing show that you watch to soothe your heart and lighten your mood. Aria the Animation is considered the main example. I can wholly recommend Daily Life of Highschool Boys, a show about silly highschool boys doing... silly things :smallbiggrin: (like spontaneous larping from picking a random stick on their way to school and treating it as legendary sword... something we all did or wish we did at school).

BeerMug Paladin
2016-09-20, 03:37 AM
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Kitten Champion
2016-09-20, 03:50 AM
I've started watching Galavant via Netflix over the weekend - having not really paid any mind to when it was on - and it's delightful. Something like The Princess Bride were it a half-hour comedic musical on ABC.

Aside from that, Non Non Biyori which is a slice-of-life/comedy anime following the really rural life of grade-school girls. It's rather soothing, with a lots of life and detail given to the natural world that encompasses everything and watching the girls embracing the fun that can be found within this quiet pastoral setting can be pretty amusing.

There's Flying Witch which similarly embraces a slice-of-life in a small town feel, only with Miyazaki-esque fantasy following the earnest and slightly air-headed witch protagonist as she stays with her aunt, uncle, and cousins during her apprenticeship. Less focus on comedy than Non Non Biyori though it certainly goes in that direction generally. What it's trying to do more is wrap the viewer in its happy, serene, wonderful mood.

Fri
2016-09-20, 04:23 AM
Oh, thanks for reminding me on Galavant! I was meaning to check it ages ago when it first airs, but I forgot about it at all until now.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-20, 04:53 AM
I figured I would keep the request open

I know this is the media subforum, but if you're open to anything, 8bitninja started a thread where everyone just talks about their favourite things over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?494177-Your-Favorites). The idea is to make a light, feelgood thread that brings back happy memories for everyone.

If you're set on media, how about a visual novel? Those can be fun. I just played through Kindred Spirits on the Roof, which was about 30 hours of pure saccharine, if you're into that kind of thing.

lt_murgen
2016-09-20, 06:09 AM
I recommend Epic Rap Battles of History on youtube.

tensai_oni
2016-09-20, 06:13 AM
I suggest works by Kiyohiko Azuma. Yotsuba& is a manga about adventures of a curious and high-energy five year old after she moves into a new neighbourhood. His earlier work, Azumanga Daioh, is a comedy about a group of somewhat eccentric high school girls. It's a 4koma but also had an anime adaptation.

Both of these series are known for being pretty down to Earth and heartwarming, but also really, really funny.

norival1992
2016-09-20, 11:40 AM
What's not happy with a new game experience

Rynjin
2016-09-20, 12:30 PM
I've started watching Galavant via Netflix over the weekend - having not really paid any mind to when it was on - and it's delightful. Something like The Princess Bride were it a half-hour comedic musical on ABC.

Binging both seasons will probably result in your spirits being lifted for the foreseeable future, yes.

Binks
2016-09-20, 12:49 PM
Bit of an oddball one, but of recent shows One Punch Man always makes me feel good. Lots of good jokes, and slick animation to get you pumped during fights. A good pick-me-up show all around.

I was actually going to mention OPM as well. It's an odd show, on the surface it doesn't look like it would be uplifting, or even very good, but it's surprising in both respects. It tends more towards a 'sometimes bad things happen, shrug and move on' kind of view than a sunshine and rainbows, but I personally find that more uplifting. Also, it's really fun to watch. First 9 episodes are dubbed in English now if you don't want to watch it subtitled.

Flickerdart
2016-09-20, 12:52 PM
I second One Punch Man - while the setting is pretty grim in restrospection, the protagonists are mostly happy-go-lucky types. The OVAs especially deal with less serious themes.

In terms of live action, 30 Rock and Brooklyn Nine Nine are good times.

Wookieetank
2016-09-20, 01:05 PM
Things that make me (I have odd tastes):

Film/TV:
Firefly (the lack of a second season is sad, but the first season is fantastic) - Space Western about plucky anti-heros.
Goosebumps 2015 film - A wonderfully slapstick romp with the monsters from the book series, teenage romance that doesn't suck, and a rather sweet ending.
The Muppets
My Neighbor Totoro - slice of life in rual Japan following 2 girls and their interactions with local forest spirits
Ponyo - Miyazaki's take on the Little Mermaid
Miyazaki films in general really

For good laughs (don't drink anything while watching these):
Nerd cubed plays Surgeon Simulator (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYLPHa-4sUs)
Nerd cubed plays I am Bread (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCos0eA0P44)

lt_murgen
2016-09-20, 01:09 PM
Binging both seasons will probably result in your spirits being lifted for the foreseeable future, yes.

I have only two words for you...

Tad Cooper.

danzibr
2016-09-20, 02:20 PM

I second One Punch Man - while the setting is pretty grim in restrospection, the protagonists are mostly happy-go-lucky types. The OVAs especially deal with less serious themes.

In terms of live action, 30 Rock and Brooklyn Nine Nine are good times.
Read the manga, found it hilarious. At times I literally lol'd

Not a show, but this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2f0aGMAx7w) always cheers me up when I'm down.

LelouchR2
2016-09-20, 09:52 PM
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

i second this suggestion.

thompur
2016-09-21, 09:26 AM
Assuming it's not clinical depression: When I'm in need of cheering up, my old stand by is classic Warner Bros. animated shorts! The greatest cartoons ever created! Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Elmer Fudd, Foghorn Leghorn, Sylvester & Tweety, Road Runner and Coyote! Stick with the ones from the 1940's and '50's, made for theatrical release. The best animation, writing, and voice work you'll find anywhere! Lots of laughs!!:biggrin:

Corlindale
2016-09-21, 01:33 PM
I find Phineas and Ferb really uplifting most of the time, even though I'm 29 and probably outside their target audience.

In particular, watching their special "Summer Belongs to You" never fails to cheer me up. I've even watched it therapeutically when preparing to face something I'd been really nervous about, because it always makes me so happy and positive.

Within its mere 45-minute runtime, it also manages to be funnier than most feature length comedies, to have more catchy songs than most musicals, to touch my feelings more than most dramas and to have more quotable lines than most action movies.